How many items?

ilovecuttingyews

As a merchanter I have tangled with this question many times...

How many of each item is there? Like said above, I am a merchanter. I have found it odd how with even 50k amulets I can completly controll the market (not completely buy out due to the 4 hour limit but cause enough movement to change things)

I would love to hear your guesses as to how many of each item there is. How many Cristmas crackers do you think? How many strength amulets? How many feathers? *shutters at the thought of all those feathers actually having volume and overtaking RS*

Grr I wrote a long post on this but then I realised I misread post :wall:

It depends on the item you choose, if for example you buy 600 brine sabres then you'll most likely alter the market slightly because they are not a well traded item. If for example you buy 10 phats on the g/e (forget current prices this is an example) then you'll raise prices as your fluctuating prices outside of the items comfort zone.

Best Rubik's cube time solve: 27.81 seconds.

Completed Facebook Tetris Marathon (670k score)

2000+ total with 5 99's, fletching, cooking, attack, thieving and firemaking

Back around 5 months ago I was buying out chisels. It's surprizing, but there are not as many chisels in the GE as you think. They were hard to buy and only came 100 in 4 hours. They rose by about 5 gp in the 60k i bought.

I'd say there are over 250m chisels in the game though.

Stellactic.gif

And considering more and more chickens get slaughtered each day as their feathers slowly fall to the ground...

... and then more chickens respawn. :shock:

Yes, Or Trade Me, there's a LOT of such things as feathers in the game. It makes it even more complicated when more of said items are being added to the game.

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

Enough to be a clear violation of the law of conservation of mass...

Well, for hammers, chisels, etc., I think that there must be at least 3 or 4 times as many as there are players in the game. For GP, trillions.

If you jump into a river in Paris, you're insane. If you jump into a river in Egypt, you're in denial.

Considering the shops have infinite stock i'd say infinite of a very large number of items.

of course unless you mean in the hands of players.

Not jagex testers however. i feel they have three too many turoths in thy inventories.

I'd say the amount of coal is pretty low, because its used so much for smithing.

but you can't deny that their is much more coming into the game than is being used as most people save it up for a while before using it.

Y_Z.png

Santa hats...5,000 +? ;) I know between three people they make atleast half of that..my number may be way off. Chances are it's more than that. (Possibly!)

Ehm, "common" items like chisels...many millions. You start off RuneScape and a chisel is one of the first things one aquires in the game. 135 Million+ accounts in the game...work that one out yourself.

Coal; quite simply one cannot say how many with such an "active" item in the economy. And taking a "wild guess".. is basicly what it is. A guess, no real knowledge of what it really is.

Otm: You mention amulets. With 50,000 amulets you can "control" the market (Fair play, by the way.. ;) ). Those 50,000 amulets, however, are only amulets that have been traded in X amount of days among the Ge. Which allows for "control" of the market. There's still many many thousands more in peoples banks, etc. You've got people who are training their magic via string jewelry spell and they buy in excess of.. I'd say 1,500 per day, per person. (Mainly unstrung gold amulets..)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

The best way would be to poll about 100 scapers (but the larger the sample size, the better) and ask how much of the item they have and how much they have traded today. For example, I have 11000 nature runes and have not traded any, but my friend sold 3000 today and no longer has any. If you add up all of that and find that, in total, 115k nature runes are held by 100 people, and 11.5k were traded (these are completely made-up numbers), you can make the educated guess that about 209.8m (amount traded) * (115k/11.5k), or 2.098 billion nature runes exist.

Note that I completely made these numbers up (except for the amount traded today), and they don't reflect anything.

lalalasig2.png

The numbers are far too high to guess on things like runes but for less common things such as Spirit Shields, Rares, even such things like GWD armours should be slightly easier to guess.

I seem to recall a very old topic from Trojan2 (yes very old) where he discussed the amount of rares in the game as well as the estimated gp in the game. He had charts and all sorts of things like that. I was wondering if anyone had saved a copy of that topic or was in regular contact with Trojan2. I would love to see his gp estimates from years back compared to now. I searched for it and it seems anything made by Trojan2 has long since died.

Carl, did I read that right....that you know 3 people who have half of your estimated 5000 santas? If so, the actual street price should be far lower then it is now...it is hard to think that over half of an entire item is controlled that completely by so few people.

As for my thoughts, I am thinking that there are under 1000 of each partyhat left, although there are probably far less. For some reson I think there are up to 50 crackers left. I am probably thinking too highly of the amounts but it seems I always see partyhats so they can't be THAT rare.

Oh, and PS Carl, it's not really that far from fair play ;) The only problem I ever create is making players pay 100 gp more per ammy then they normally would. I never cut off the supply. I did however single handedly take down Be Mercher's last attempt to controll powers while making 15M for myself. But that story is for another time, another place.

The numbers are far too high to guess on things like runes but for less common things such as Spirit Shields, Rares, even such things like GWD armours should be slightly easier to guess.

I seem to recall a very old topic from Trojan2 (yes very old) where he discussed the amount of rares in the game as well as the estimated gp in the game. He had charts and all sorts of things like that. I was wondering if anyone had saved a copy of that topic or was in regular contact with Trojan2. I would love to see his gp estimates from years back compared to now. I searched for it and it seems anything made by Trojan2 has long since died.

Carl, did I read that right....that you know 3 people who have half of your estimated 5000 santas? If so, the actual street price should be far lower then it is now...it is hard to think that over half of an entire item is controlled that completely by so few people.

As for my thoughts, I am thinking that there are under 1000 of each partyhat left, although there are probably far less. For some reson I think there are up to 50 crackers left. I am probably thinking too highly of the amounts but it seems I always see partyhats so they can't be THAT rare.

Oh, and PS Carl, it's not really that far from fair play ;) The only problem I ever create is making players pay 100 gp more per ammy then they normally would. I never cut off the supply. I did however single handedly take down Be Mercher's last attempt to controll powers while making 15M for myself. But that story is for another time, another place.

Haha, you can do more with what you have then most people. And are wise with how you do it too. And yes, these people are "unknown", owning the hats or atleast collecting since before the Ge etc. Well, a large sum anyway. Party Hats; I'd reckon a lot more than just 100. And crackers, mhm, that's a tough one. If buying one can change the price, there's very few in the game. Most useless object though, so a real waste if people do buy.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

^^Some people might buy them just to have a placeholder for their cash. Like the people who have so much money they have multiple stacks of it.

I would guess that currently there are about 1000-1500 active p hats. Not counting accounts that have gone completly inactive.

Rejected.jpg

If only we still had the "most commonly traded" items on the GE Database :(

If only we still had the "most commonly traded" items on the GE Database :(

You mean this? http://itemdb-rs.runescape.com/top100.ws?list=0&scale=3

That's for the last 180 days, most commonly traded items.

The list is still there, a link for it and most valuable is on the main GE database page.

200000000.png

It was made by Duke Freedom. Let me find it. And his forum name was "Trojann2," but he was a well-known DK'er, not a merchant.

Edit: I found it... remember that pretty much everything he talks about is now obsolete...

http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?times=6

lalalasig2.png

[hide=lalala7324]

It was made by Duke Freedom. Let me find it. And his forum name was "Trojann2," but he was a well-known DK'er, not a merchant.

Edit: I found it... remember that pretty much everything he talks about is now obsolete...

http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?times=6

[/hide]

Wow, the number of GP he calculated is huge and this was before things like Coinshare, pure gp drops from PKing, and the massive amounts of players these days. I would love to see a follow up article based on current numbers and methods. I am too bad of a writer to do it and I don't have the time to do the math.

Zalok, Thanks for that, it's really interesting to see how many items were traded in the last 180 days (they took it off the main GE page the same day they made the 180 part.) Do you know where I can find the link to get there? Because I would like to see that often and would rather not refer back to this thread all the time.

Oh, and Lalala, did you change my title? Because I meant for this to be a discussion on the amount of all items in the game not just merchanting items. Plus, that is not the article I remember but it was good none-the-less. It must not have been Duke Freedom but it's fine, thanks for finding that.