Youtube to offer movie Rentals?

stevepole

I was skimming through Variety this morning and ran into this article about Youtube being in talks with studios about possible movie rentals online. You may just see this and be like "Oh cool I can't wait!" but what do you think this will do for the movie industry? Should Netflix or a company like Blockbusters be worried?

tFtfA.jpg

Renting movies is something i like, alot. I never see the point in buying a DVD for £10 i will watch once or twice at most. That's the reason i only own about 5 DVD's, all which have been given to me as presents. Renting them online is something i've actually not thought about, but would definately be a good idea imo, as long as they are perfect quality. Buying a movie online for download isn't the best idea, because it can easily be lost in a computer crash. but renting for a few days is a good idea, as you aren't paying a whole lot, and shouldn't have enough time to lose the data.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I'd rather just rent the physical movie from a store.

You'd have to download the movie rental won't you? That would take agesss for me. And not as enjoyable as watching it on a bigger screen as opposed to my little computer screen.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Pfft. You can already watch entire movies on Youtube. Old ones, at least. I watched "The Brave Little Toaster".

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

I'd rather just rent the physical movie from a store.

You'd have to download the movie rental won't you? That would take agesss for me. And not as enjoyable as watching it on a bigger screen as opposed to my little computer screen.

Renting videos from Youtube, I imagine, would working similar to how you watch videos on youtube. Think of the service like Hulu or Netflix where you stream your content.

Pfft. You can already watch entire movies on Youtube. Old ones, at least. I watched "The Brave Little Toaster".

But you can't find a feature film like Watchmen.

You can get new ones on the internet as well, though not on youtube.

Some people prefer to go the "legal" way, though. A shrinking minority, that is.

Most people don't care about cost they just want a system that is easy to use and simple. Like Hulu for example is a huge success because it is an easy and simple way to watch television and movies online which is what a lot of people care about most.

Why would you anyone watch a movie on youtube? The quality would be ugh.

Quality isn't horrible but of course it is HD either. If online rentals continues to boom I'm sure we'll be seeing HD quality videos within the next couple of years.

I'm not sure why youtube would try and get in this when Netflix already has a solid option for renting online. (or even on your 360)

Why wouldn't they want to tap into the online video rental? Netflix is having huge success with it why wouldn't anyone else want a piece of action?

The problem I have is my computer is no longer connected to my TV, so the only stuff I could rent would have to work on PS3. I don't believe amazon or Netfix does, and if we are talking free+legal I know Hulu doesn't work.

You can rent movies through PSN. I've never done it but I'm sure it works a lot like iTunes.

tFtfA.jpg

If I was going to pay to rent I'd rather make a 5 minute trip to a store in real life.

If I'm going to watch something online... It's going to be free.

Amen.

Things like these killed the family business... :(

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I'm still going to go and rent a movie from the store. Half the fun is standing there for 30 mins looking at movies.

Or arguing with people over what movie to rent. :lol:

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

I've never understood movie rental, with most of the movies i've thought about renting (which, admittedly aren't the 'latest' releases) it's been cheaper to actually buy the film instead of borrowing it.

Even with the newer films, if you pay double the price they charge you can actually buy the film for yourself, and watch it limitlessly - without worrying about time constraints or anything.

It's not like DVDs take up much space either...

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

I've never understood movie rental, with most of the movies i've thought about renting (which, admittedly aren't the 'latest' releases) it's been cheaper to actually buy the film instead of borrowing it.

Well that's because before, to buy a movie it costed like $20-25. To rent it only cost from $1-5. It really was a bargain. But as the movie studios started to make their VHS cheaper, it started to appear in stores for "buying" rather than "renting". DVDs were easily sold through every store: Walmart, grocery stores, gas stations, that renting was coming at a loss compared to selling the movie.

So to avoid loosing profit, renting sometimes may get above buying price. Renting died at the start of DVDs.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Well that's because before, to buy a movie it costed like $20-25. To rent it only cost from $1-5. It really was a bargain. But as the movie studios started to make their VHS cheaper, it started to appear in stores for "buying" rather than "renting". DVDs were easily sold through every store: Walmart, grocery stores, gas stations, that renting was coming at a loss compared to selling the movie.

So to avoid loosing profit, renting sometimes may get above buying price. Renting died at the start of DVDs.

I would say the old fashion way of renting has died. Going down to your local blockbuster and picking up the latest releases has been replaced with a couple mouse clicks.

tFtfA.jpg

I'm still going to Blockbuster. Sure, I can watch them online but the quality/file size is shocking :shock: I'd go with the DVD rental.

I own a lot of DVD's, even more video (VCR) because that's all my Dad had for about 20 years (or whenever they were released). But we're renting (me and my family) heaps more now, because it is heaps better :D

disturbeda.png

You can rent movies through PSN. I've never done it but I'm sure it works a lot like iTunes.

Yeah but there isn't a good selection and each movie costs $4.50 to rent.

Minus fuel for the car. :P

I dont need a siggy no moar.

This is sort of off topic, but has anyone seen those DVDs that you can rent but you don't have to return them? I think they stop working after 24 hours or something.

Ooh sounds delectably spy-like.

Mission Impossible style.

I don't think thats real though. I think you may be mistaking digital rentals because they have time restraints like from iTunes I believe a video will stop working after 24hrs after you hit play.

I'm still going to Blockbuster. Sure, I can watch them online but the quality/file size is shocking :shock: I'd go with the DVD rental.

I own a lot of DVD's, even more video (VCR) because that's all my Dad had for about 20 years (or whenever they were released). But we're renting (me and my family) heaps more now, because it is heaps better :D

I think the whole quality argument is a worthy one. So do guys think that a lot of your typical movie renters are going to want the quality of Blue-Ray or will the average consumer not care about quality when it comes to downloaded content through something like Youtube or other online services?

tFtfA.jpg

Why would you anyone watch a movie on youtube? The quality would be ugh.

Most of the HD vids on youtube have stunning picture quality, I couldn't distinguish some of them from a 1080p BluRay movie. Those were official trailers though, not user-shot content.

If the streaming rate was high enough for there to be no lag, I'd probably pay $0.50 to $1 per view. Even torrent users or illegal downloaders could find it convenient, you don't have to resume downloads or rely on seeds, just write the film name, click full screen and watch it instantly.

Though, if the audio quality was bad & the price was too high ($5 gets you a real cinema ticket in many countries), it probably wouldn't succeed. It's also going to place heavy bandwidth demands on YT servers, for full HD imagery and 5.1 sound, maybe 800-1000kb/s per user