Tip.It Times: 6 Sept 2009

n_odie

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

Enjoy the articles!

P.S. Also if you notice any kind of grammar/spelling mistakes, please PM me instead of posting on here. Thanks!

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

Nice article by Stormrage.

The second article felt more like something that should be a forum sticky

Less then 10% of our users use the forums, so this will definitely reach more people.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

summers end was a good read, good job jagex. the name of the article reminds me a quest...hmm... :P

how to write tip.it times? it's only me or i've seen very similar article to that here? :?

DYK: darn, i got 301 rank and now they actually make me wanna buy the clothes. i bought only the usefull rings, locator and questkit cause thought the clothes have no use... :(

want_a_box.png

Could anyone tell me to who I have to report the HAM member, because none of the leaders on the floors, nor the ham member, nor the person for the commodities is helpfull.

It's one of the officers in the camp itself, but be sure you talk to the HAM member first (in said gear) ;)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

as storms are coming in on ever shorter days

You might even say the storms are...raging.

ba_dum_tsh.jpg

We have a minigame designed to absorb a lot of the junk floating in the G.E. It's a shame that the good rewards take FAR too long to attain, but they have made excellent adjustments so far that one doesn't have to wait forever to actually mobilize one's army. I suppose it also gave us the "action-cursors" later on, as MA was clearly a test for this.

MA was a leftover from '08 that was delayed and delayed. It may have been the biggest release content wise, but after a long setback.

It gave us the perfect tools for any emergent game play thinkable (except for a whole deck of cards). With Faruq's tools you can pretty much design your own quests and minigames. They are not radically popular though, and I blame the lack of a thorough introduction for this. I believe Jagex left it up to us to figure out what to do with these items.

I think you're right. Jagex is more interested in seeing what we come up with than telling us what to do with them. I probably won't touch these tools 364 days out of the year, but it could be useful to plan social events with. The reason why they aren't "radically" popular is because players haven't found a use to incorporate it into their daily playing. There's no strategic advantage, and there's no reward that comes from using them. Until somebody comes up with a way to use them that fits that criteria, then you won't ever see them used widely.

It gave us a couple of quests

When do we consider the beginning of summer? Beginning with June we had:

1. The Hunt for Red Raktuber

2. The Curse of Arrav

3. Fur N' Seek

That's 3 quests in 3 months. That's less than the two quests a month average they used to make, but I wouldn't say these three quests are evidence that we have sacrificed quantity for quality.

It took a while, but we finally can put our pets in our house. We even have the ability to build a mini obelisk to recharge our summoning points. Not entirely sure what the purpose of that was, because close to every POH portal is either a mini or a grand obelisk. Along with this update we now have the ability to better control our familiars and butlers too, though.

The pet update was the most useful in helping to clear out some bank space. The familiar and butler updates were useful, but were more insignificant, minor patches in my opinion. They aren't worthy of this much praise.

I have yet to see the impact of the Personalized Shops

lol. When I first saw Personalized Shops, I thought it meant we were getting Player-Owned Shops. Oh well. I haven't noticed a big impact either, but Jagex's reasoning behind this seemed sound.

...auto-casting option on all spells...

We've also seen a new Slayer monster and extended courses for Agility

The auto-cast option, and ordering of spells is wonderful. The new Slayer monster was decent, along with a really good drop. Agility desperately needed a new update, especially after they nerfed the Bandos course.

perhaps RuneScape creeps ever closer to becoming too big to be updated

Could you please clarify what you mean. Do you mean that they are running out of ideas, or that it is becoming too complex to update timely?

rssig2.png

perhaps RuneScape creeps ever closer to becoming too big to be updated

Could you please clarify what you mean. Do you mean that they are running out of ideas, or that it is becoming too complex to update timely?

I think he means the latter, but that's not necessarily true. The size of a project is, indeed, a huge obstacle in how often it can be detailed, but there's no doubt in my mind that the game can be updated modularly, such as in smaller parts, without affecting the whole overall.

Perhaps that's why they're also updating the game engine. It can help clean things up and make it easier to update various parts of the game more quickly.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I think Stormrages article was too complimentary. To be honest, Jagex blew it. Summer's their busiest season and they should have had something large to tide the horde over and garner more temporary memberships.

For similar reasons Blizzard releases expansions in November or early December and not mid September.

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

I think Stormrages article was too complimentary. To be honest, Jagex blew it. Summer's their busiest season and they should have had something large to tide the horde over and garner more temporary memberships.

For similar reasons Blizzard releases expansions in November or early December and not mid September.

I agree I've really missed the constant updates and it's not helpfull to know it was summer.

Pit_Guardian.png

Gamertag: EFs Predator.

Games I play: Halo 3, Halo wars.

Summer's End was a bit boring.

Theres been lots of talk about the updates I mean a lot and this merely said this bit affected this as did this.

I would have liked it to look at the more varied sides like is the auto cast update pro or anti RC'ing, did MA actually remove junk, he/she missed out the dwarf quest completely from the future quests, was the extra room merely to drum up summoning interest and so on.

I think it could have been expanded on or maybe single out the summer relevant ones and expand on them.

And the other article well its just a bit of advertising :? .

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

The second one is a forum sticky, if I'm not mistaken... I've written one article for the Times, wasn't amazing, but it got published, been kind of thinking about another one.

ehuahuay! the only thing i can think of right now is... where is the fictional promised in last week's times? i want a good ol fictional! ehuahuay! oh well...

anyway, first. article was a very good breakdown of this summer, and the cool thing was it wasnt biased or anything like that.

however, that shameless advertising? to this i say.... MEH!!@!@!@!@!@!@$!@#$ :evil:

or in other words: first article:

:thumbsup: ::' ;)

second article:

:evil: :cry: #-o :wall: :roll:

Greecl: agreed, mister Eskimo steroid wrestler black guy thingy.

Lite191: =] lol

Greecl: this is going on my siggy on tippit.

lite191: actually im a ninja Eskimo wrestler on steroids with a godsword… on fire.

Greecl: eating a Klondike bar. =p

lite191: yes but it melted=[

Greecl: aw…wish you weren’t on fire now, huh?

lite191 :no.

lite191: Still freaking awesome.me

Greecl: or as Greecl would say… Frosted flakes are better!!!

lite191: agreed.

Could anyone tell me to who I have to report the HAM member, because none of the leaders on the floors, nor the ham member, nor the person for the commodities is helpfull.

It's one of the officers in the camp itself, but be sure you talk to the HAM member first (in said gear) ;)

Well, unless charos ring (a)(i) doesn't work, I've no idea what I'm doing wrong, I talk to the HAM member, all options (including "How awfull"), then I speak to the 4 commanders in the reward tower, but no-one has a new option, nor does the first option gives a solution. :c

What kind of topics are you looking for in articles? I love writing, but whenever I think about writing for Tip.It Times, I don't have anything to write about. Maybe I'm just not passionate enough about Runescape..

Whatever you want, as long as somehow RuneScape is involved it the story. (few examples: quests, noobs, updates, minigames, the size of your godsword. Whatever you can think of)

The second one is a forum sticky, if I'm not mistaken... I've written one article for the Times, wasn't amazing, but it got published, been kind of thinking about another one.

Yea, I know it it out there somewhere but I can't find it, if I happen to bump intro it I'll post it here ;).

mdeosig.png

hytbanner2.png

Proud (retired) Tip.it Times Editor! Tip.it Times Archives TET event forum

This was a slow summer.

The personalized shops with limited stock is probably a bigger change to gameplay dynamics then runetek 5.

Just as this game is dealing with the aftershocks of GE/trade restrictions/removal of wildy/new PVP jagex has introduced another new element.

Personally I'm tired of the game shifting under my feet so much, I'm sitting this out and avoiding the chaos.

I'm just gonna comment the "Did you know...?"

Wow after 300 rank you get... a whole 3 points!

Dude... Unless you get them daily or something, I don't see the big deal xD

13Ra3.png

Veteran Cape Owner (10 year)

I think you read that the wrong way. You start out at say a private. At say 100 rank (I'm just making this up as I got along) you become a Sergeant. At 300 you become a Lieutenant. Three RANKS add up to several hundred points in the game. Maybe. I might be completely and utterly wrong. But I think I'm right, because I got the impression that this DYK was supposed to be something big.

I might be completely wrong. Could someone please tell us which one is right?

This was a slow summer.

The personalized shops with limited stock is probably a bigger change to gameplay dynamics then runetek 5.

Just as this game is dealing with the aftershocks of GE/trade restrictions/removal of wildy/new PVP jagex has introduced another new element.

Personally I'm tired of the game shifting under my feet so much, I'm sitting this out and avoiding the chaos.

Unless you work at JaGex HQ, I don't think you (or me) could understand how big of an effect Rune Tek 5 has. But considering how much code was re-done, this might make updates easier to implement and without so many bugs. Or something. But it isn't something that a player will directly associate with Rune Tek 5. Rune Tek 5 is more of a long-term update, and the average player doesn't notice things like that as much.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

It's not a big thing...

Infact, after 300 there is little else usefull left other then going up in the highscores...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!