Thinking outside the box with Prayer

Logdotzip

Recently I heard Jagex plans to introduce some new prayers soon... can't confirm this myself but I'm fairly certain I read it from a Jagex mod.

Anyways, that's fine and dandy to get more of the same stuff, meaning turn on a prayer, desired effect achieved.

I started thinking what prayer this newest batch will contain, and Ranged / Magic prayers similar to Melee's piety came to mind... (Hopefully these magic prayers would have a damage boosting effect like some staves now). Maybe even some damage reducers, a la the Divine and Elysian spirit shields.

I've also often heard suggestions to make prayers to complement skillers, maybe allowing faster woodcutting or a better chance of high level herbs.. But what about something completely different?

A couple ideas I had swimming around in my head were things like temporary imbuing of items; spending x prayer points to increase offensive or defensive bonuses for items for y minutes. Or perhaps blessing crop patches to increase not only crop yield, but experience yield as well. Running back and forth to an altar could offset the obvious advantage (There are probably better ways to circumvent this problem-- they escape me right now)

Even something as original as using shade or vyrewatch corpses on items to give them a prayer bonus? (with a cap).

This was just something I had been thinking about for a bit, and wondered if my fellow Tipiter's had some similar thoughts.

Please discuss

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I highly doubt it. Too many prayers will make another "magic-type" menu. Also, dragon bones will rise in price (already very expensive). Unfair to Lvl 3 Skillers. Other problems too. It will unbalance a somewhat balanced game.

miph4.png

[spoiler=Old info]Quest Point Cape Acheived:14 October 07 4:30pm GMT+10 .

15108th to 99 Firemaking: 2 October 08 8:15pm GMT+10

Barrows Drops: Verac Flail, Verac Plateskirt x3, Guthan helm, Ahrim Robetop,

Karil top, Torag plate, Dharok plate, Dharok axe. 1900+ total lvl

Dragon Drops: 6: Dragon Legs (iron dragon), Dragon Spear(shadow warrior), Dragon Pickaxe(4)

DK Drops: Warrior Ring(2)

Bandos Drops: Tassets

By Skillers, I mean those who train skills, not just the level 3's. Also I remember a JMod state he liked the idea of skill complementing prayers. Then again they are sometimes very contradiciting of each other.

Besides, Summoning is a combat skill, yet I can think of almost no skill it doesn't help in some way.

Summoning is combat skill and it helps non combat skills, and so does lunar/normal magic. Id say its possible with prayer too

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

Prayers that will Slightly give you extra weapon speed?

Prayers that will Double your Special Bar Recovery rate

orrrrr

When thinking about a skill and combat (since prayer is a combat skill)

Eating faster

Potting faster

Consume more Runes but faster Casting Prolly over powerd but still

we just have to wait and see what Jagex has in there minds for us :thumbsup:

I always tell the truth even when I lie

Where is stated that this prayer update contains new prayers?

Since Jagex has told us that they are working on alternative ways of levelling 'old' skills, it seems more logical to me that we can expect something different than burying bones in the future to gain prayer experience?

h_y_j_a_c_k.png

I highly doubt it. Too many prayers will make another "magic-type" menu. Also, dragon bones will rise in price (already very expensive). Unfair to Lvl 3 Skillers. Other problems too. It will unbalance a somewhat balanced game.

Honestly, level 3 skillers have all their rights to train their combat and use these prayers. Why would Jagex base updates on these guys :mellow:

Dragon drops: 82 (2 claws)

Dagannoth kings drops: 73

Barrows item count: 51

GWD drops: 54 (5 hilts: 1x bandos, 3x saradomin, 1x zamorak)

Whips: 4

Sigils: 1x spectral (FFA), 1x arcane (FFA)

Level 3 Skillers are a minority. Basing an update of this magnitude on them, and them alone, wouldn't be very practical. And from what I hear, they enjoy the challenge, anyway.

It would be nice if you could use prayer in some skills.

Perhaps blessing your herbs so they don't die?

Or temporarily bless your (pick)axe?

Or just pray you finally get that raven egg. :razz:

KADrb.png
260pifq.jpg

I'd been hearing rumors of a prayer update around the corner so I went and got 80 prayer while dbones are still at "normal" price. Hopefully it paid off.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

20% boost in attack/defence/strength/range/mage, anyone?

*crickets chirp*

The thing is, prayer isn't an exciting skill. Agility; new area, awesome! Combat; more stuff to kill, yay! Prayer; ...oh, cool. *goes back to whatever they were doing before*

I mean, new prayers wouldn't be a bad thing, but no-ones going to interrupt the J-Mods and tell them it's a really gamebreaking thing. Unless it's a prayer like "block all damage". And I doubt that.

To the last poster,

You could't be more wrong. I mean, come on. Your not even ranked in prayer. Many, many people are waiting for a prayer update. When it comes, d bones will shoot up, ppl will train prayer like mad, and new methods of killing monsters using these prayers will develop. TBH, I'd say a prayer update is one of the more major updates which we know is coming but dont know when/what it is.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Prayers for skillers? It's possible but I don't think this will happen. Prayer is a combat skill after all

Where's this set in stone? Where does it say Jagex can't change how the game works? They can do so if they wish

I welcome a new Prayer update! :smile:

RIP Michaelangelopolous

You're not even ranked in prayer.

Oh, that has evrything to do with anything, amirite? I'll buy it later. *rolls eyes*

Many, many people are waiting for a prayer update. When it comes, d bones will shoot up, ppl will train prayer like mad, and new methods of killing monsters using these prayers will develop. TBH, I'd say a prayer update is one of the more major updates which we know is coming but dont know when/what it is.

I believe it is you that couldn't be more wrong. What is more likely to happen is people will do the same old, same old - Some enterprising people will kill things for their bones and sell them on the Grand Exchange, then some people will buy them, and level their prayer, and if they happen to get a wonderful, brand spanking new prayer from it, so be it. And that's all will happen, and the update will be forgotten in a week, and instead, people will slip the new prayers (if they are any good, that is) into their repertoire. And that will be that.

It would be awesome with updates like these to prayer. I would love to see that you could use your prayer points to get a boost in another skill for a while. Perhaps you could gain some extra xp when runecrafting laws by doing some kind of special Saradomin prayer? Just a little suggestion from me.

However, I doubt that Jagex will make any big changes to prayer. These new prayer will probably be combat orientated, just as the old ones are. But even if they're I'm still happy that we get a prayer update. It has gone quite a long time without prayer getting any updates now. Since prayer is a very usable skill it's good to hear Jagex keeps evolving it.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

You're not even ranked in prayer.

Oh, that has evrything to do with anything, amirite? I'll buy it later. *rolls eyes*

Many, many people are waiting for a prayer update. When it comes, d bones will shoot up, ppl will train prayer like mad, and new methods of killing monsters using these prayers will develop. TBH, I'd say a prayer update is one of the more major updates which we know is coming but dont know when/what it is.

I believe it is you that couldn't be more wrong. What is more likely to happen is people will do the same old, same old - Some enterprising people will kill things for their bones and sell them on the Grand Exchange, then some people will buy them, and level their prayer, and if they happen to get a wonderful, brand spanking new prayer from it, so be it. And that's all will happen, and the update will be forgotten in a week, and instead, people will slip the new prayers (if they are any good, that is) into their repertoire. And that will be that.

People still get 70 prayer for piety. You think people forgot about it? Also, you are hardly ranked in any stats, how would you know what us monster hunters think about as far as prayer level?

Anyway, enough of this asinine argument. Think what you will, but in 4+ HIGH level forums, people have been discussing possible prayers for months.

Stonewall337.png
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)

People still get 70 prayer for piety. You think people forgot about it?

People still get 70 prayer for Piety. Most, by buying. People will, indeed still get 70 for Piety, I'm sure. But if another prayer comes out, and it increases Def by 30%, Strength by 27% and Attack by 25%, will it revolutionise the Runescape we all know and love? Will it even impact combat in any way? This is what I fail to see from any such update along these lines.

People still get 70 prayer for Piety. Most, by buying. People will, indeed still get 70 for Piety, I'm sure. But if another prayer comes out, and it increases Def by 30%, Strength by 27% and Attack by 25%, will it revolutionise the Runescape we all know and love? Will it even impact combat in any way? This is what I fail to see from any such update along these lines.

1. I doubt anyone is as stupid as to suggest another prayer so similar to piety, and so little better than it. As such, you can fairly safely say any prayer will be better than what you stated. As such also, it will increase the ability of teams to either last longer, or use smaller groups at bosses, it will make it easier to solo bosses, and it will give those people in PvP who get prayer levels above 43, 70, etc an advantage for their prayer levels. Since you aren't ranked, you do not really understand the implications that a new prayer will have, even on such a thing as being required to have that prayer to join certain teams. (Many GWD teams require you to have 70 prayer, for example, not only to bless, but also for the kills.

Stonewall337.png

You obviously are not paying attention to the discussion; we are not talking about just a mildly different version of a current prayer, we are proposing ideas for radically new prayers that will touch different parts of the game that this skill has never before aided. And I doubt you've ever experienced the difference prayers can make in a tight combat situation, it is a VITAL skill to all higher levels.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

I think they should add some alternative methods to training prayer that is as efficient (if not better) than current methods. I mean whenever a new prayer is released, the story is the same: all bones, especially dragon, shoot up in price. People crowd house parties in search of guilded altars. When uber uses of the prayers are found, prayer pots and their materials will be bought up in seconds and prayer training itself would hit a standstill with all the merchants. All dragons would be crowded. If jagex released alternative methods (even if they are just as expensive, it doesn't matter) of prayer training, we wouldn't have such an economy-dependant skill on our hands and then there could be VAST areas of room for expansion without screwing the economy.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Well, if you think about it, there aremany holy men and women NPCs in Gielinor, but apparently, none of them had to kill thousands of dragons or buy thousands of dragon bones with vast sums of money sot that they can bury them by hand repeatedly at gilded altars in a hole that must be miles deep by now, and yet somehow they still all manage to gain enough divine favor in order to wear spiffy outfits and live in the Prayer guild. WTH?

8f14270694.jpg

Noncombat prayers -- say, blessing your crops -- would not only be awesome, they would make SENSE in the (mostly, kind of, sort of) pseudo-medieval setting that is Gielinor.

But mostly they'd be awesome.

Balance may be power, but chaos is still pretty damn fun.

Lielac.png

Canada can't be second rate, polar bears are their main mode of transportation.