NASA Launching Spacecraft at the Moon

rangeor

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They aren't bluffing, NASA never mentioned "bomb" anywhere in their press release, BECAUSE THEY AREN'T BOMBING THE MOON. They are impacting a spacecraft into it, just like India did 11 months ago.

THIS IS ALL JUST MEDIA HYPE PLAYING ON THE FEARS OF PEOPLE WHO DON'T UNDERSTAND SCIENCE.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

On Friday, October 9th at about 4:30 A.M. PST, NASA plans to slam two spacecraft into the moon in an effort to find water. One part of the spacecraft will be sent into a crater on the moon, and then a second part of that same spacecraft will follow it in and make impact with the new crater that the first part creates.

lolwutbomb?!?!?

The title of this thread shows exactly the kind of thing the media uses to sell to stupid people.

"Nasa Bombing the Moon"

People will just have to see the title and think "OMGWTFBBQ, NASA is blowing up the moon! PANIC!!!"

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Sounds like a good experiment to me. Considering how heavy and expensive it is to take water into space, the idea of having accessible and usable water on the moon would be considerably helpful.

Also the largest crater on the moon is 2,240 km in diameter and 13 km in depth. Whatever created that is barely comparable to the tiny spacecraft that will be launched into it.

Anyways, it's just stupid as hell considering not a single drop of water has ever left this planet.
You might wanna re-check that :D

nabsigmar2011.png

[spoiler=My 99s (7)]9,638th to 99 Fletching ~ 29th January 2007

737th to 99 Hunter ~ 2nd July 2007

910th to 99 Agility ~ 28th January 2008

59,467th to 99 Defence ~ 23rd December 2009

92,762nd to 99 Hitpoints ~ 26th June 2010

102,704th to 99 Attack ~ 29th June 2010

144,091st to 99 Strength ~ 29th June 2010

Erm, the moon has withstood thousands of asteroid collisions before, this bomb is no different.

Best case scenario: Water on the moon.

Worst case scenario: Another hole in the moon and several million dollars wasted.

But yes, as Nick said I can't see the moon being knocked out of orbit. And I'm sure NASA has thought this through.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Erm, the moon has withstood thousands of asteroid collisions before, this bomb is no different.

Best case scenario: Water on the moon.

Worst case scenario: Another hole in the moon and several million dollars wasted.

But yes, as Nick said I can't see the moon being knocked out of orbit. And I'm sure NASA has thought this through.

I don't see how this is going to work if the impact is going to be weak compared to what the Moon has taken so far. Aren't they trying to get inside the Moon? They'll need a large collision to do that.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Why is it important to know if the moon has water or not?

For lunar exploration and lunar bases blah blah blah.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

Why is it important to know if the moon has water or not?

More immediatly for Lunar bases. If they are going to eventually build a base on the moon, they need to see if they can use water already on the moon or if they have to continually bring up water from Earth.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

A lot of you are terrible readers. NASA launched this quite some time ago. They're hitting a crater in the moon with ONE spacecraft, while one watches, to see if there's water beneath the surface, as many scientists believe. There will be a live feed. It would suck if you lived on the moon, but it's already been calculated that it will be fine.

I, for one, would like to see the moon bombed [cabbage]less. What with its smugness.

Plus, they're hitting an already-large and dark crater, so the real worst-case scenario is a crater gets deeper but we don't even notice.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Great. Now we can prove the Moon's true origins:

Is it really a chunk of the Earth blasted off by a collision by another wandering planetoid?

Or is it completely alien?

Truth costs millions.

But I don't want to go among mad people!

Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here..."

Great. Now we can prove the Moon's true origins:

Is it really a chunk of the Earth blasted off by a collision by another wandering planetoid?

Or is it completely alien?

Truth costs millions.

.....No. I don't see how this proves that the Moon was once a part of the Earth or if it is a wandering planetoid. They are searching for water on the moon. Ice can be deposited from asteroids crashing into the surface. That's how the huge quantities of water came to Earth in the first place.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

Oh, man. Yeah, I ignored those outside sources.

Apparently proton streams from the sun can also have an effect that creates water.

But I don't want to go among mad people!

Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here..."

It'll be interesting to see if there is water on the moon.

For the cost of our semi-stable ecosystem?

What is the worst that could happen? You honestly think a small bomb will mess up the moon's rotation? The moon has been hit asteroids(or w/e) with much more force than the bomb will create.

Yet the bomb is the first thing to actually explode there, you just said one could survive sitting on a hangrenade that is about to go of because one had previously been hit by a car that had an impact greater than the force of the explotion.

1. It's not a bomb, it's a satellite crashing into the moon. Yes, a bomb could do irreversible damage, but a Satellite impact most likely can't.

2. NASA are not [developmentally delayed]s. They would have calculated the risks, including putting the moon out of place. Have faith in them.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

Why are you guys say they are crashing a satellite into the moon? They are launch or have launched depending on how you look at it I suppose into the moon. The satellite that is going to monitor and collect the data is attach to a rocket which is going to separate and "crash" into the moon.

http://www.nasa.gov/mov/391565main_LCROSS-MediaPreview.mov

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LCROSS/overview/index.html

tFtfA.jpg

Doesn't the US have bigger things to worry about at the moment, such as a crumbling infrastructure, health care, heck how much is the national debt now? 13 trillion i think. And now their going to spend another couple of million to see if there is water on the moon in the hopes of spending another several billion for a moon base?

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

Ha, I just watched the live stream and once the mission was over they showed everyone celebrating and shaking hands and all that. One guy got left hanging when he went to high five his buddy. I bet it'll be all over the internet.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.