Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Big barrows analysis

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

Wachtwoord
[ Display Name History ]

Wachtwoord

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,997 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Who Plays
I'm too poor for a SGS, so I already used a DDS. (Well, not anymore, because of this barrows test, but I still think it's too expensive.) I like your praying on ahrims idea, so next time I'll try that too. You still could easily do 12 chests per trip that way. I still wonder how melee (with extreme pots) is. I tried normal whipping on torag the last few chests because I ran out of tar and I was pretty surprised by how often I hit. Yet again, the few extra hits on the brother, isn't a big time waster.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+
Posted Image

Aneron
[ Display Name History ]

Aneron

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,782 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Aneron
  • Clan:DGS
I veracced it once with extreme att/str, it wasn't bad but I didn't time it. did get guth helm though :thumbup:

to piety or not to piety is an interesting question.

stonewall337
[ Display Name History ]

stonewall337

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,681 posts
  • RSN:Stonewall337
  • Clan:<Killing Time> of Dawnbringer
In over 300, probably nearer 400 chests looted, I have only gained 5 items, all of which were under 305k. Barrows is still based on luck.

Stonewall337.png

Drops

bedman
[ Display Name History ]

bedman

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,774 posts
  • RSN:bedman
bobthesock, I wouldn't value those extreme pots too high since they give experience too, and in a fast way. So if you are using extreme magic potions, which has a cheap second (or has it risen that much), you pay like 5k for your pot, but making that pot gave you 230 xp or so, which is valued around 4k if you would get it another way, which leaves you at 1k which is dirt cheap.

The only real expensive one this way is extreme str because of the 7k dwarf weeds. (and extreme def, but who uses these?)

Gailnico321
[ Display Name History ]

Gailnico321

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 51 posts
At what time do you use a dose of your super attack/super strength potions? Can't figure that out.. :unsure:

I've been doing something similar to this for a little while, and this helps me refine my setup pretty well.^^

Edit: Ignore the previous question, say you open Karil's sarcophagus...and it's a tunnel? Does that mean the dose of prayer potion will be wasted, or do you just use the prayer potion after you know he's in it..?

Georgelemmons
[ Display Name History ]

Georgelemmons

El Novato

• Members
  • 2,705 posts
  • RSN:superHYTnova
Very nice, Wacht :thumbup:

Are you praying the entire time? It doesn't seem like it, but you also have no food. Thanks.
Posted Image
Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

Bladewing
[ Display Name History ]

Bladewing

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,072 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Stringcheze
Extreme Mage pots will make for extremely quick kills. I intend to do this later >:D

Sk8erfreak
[ Display Name History ]

Sk8erfreak

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,175 posts
  • RSN:Sk8erfreak
Wait.. You said you do 17 chests in a little over 2 hours, that would be about 8 chests per hour.

Then you said you get an average of 29k loot from the chest, 19k of it being profit.. And that you get 338k /hr, but I think you meant 338k every ~2hrs because 8 chests per hour multiplied by 19k average profit per chest is 152k/hr.

I might have missed something...

And either way I think your 1 item ever 15 chests is pretty lucky, I am on a 60+ dry streak atm.
Posted Image
136 Combat, 2290+ Skill Total

meili
[ Display Name History ]

meili

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
Oh nice post, I can't even remember how to do barrows anymore lol. Nice to see it is still profitable. I hope it's still fun!

257zrc3.gif

J35u5_M4
[ Display Name History ]

J35u5_M4

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • RSN:J35u5 M4
  • Clan:True Maxed

In over 300, probably nearer 400 chests looted, I have only gained 5 items, all of which were under 305k. Barrows is still based on luck.

This.

Posted Image

XxTearGodxX
[ Display Name History ]

XxTearGodxX

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,213 posts
  • RSN:XxTearGodxX
Yeah Barrows is pretty damn awesome, I love it for making money. The way I do my runs is I use Slayer Dart for all brothers except Ahrim I kill him using a Crystal Bow.

I use tuna for food cause it's incredibly cheap and tele after each run to a bank and run back.

Here's my loot since Monday

Posted Image

Mazhar
[ Display Name History ]

Mazhar

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,242 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
Very nice loot and cash/hr rate, better than I thought barrows gave
but ehhhh.. I'll stick to my 2.5m/hr average at TDs :?

stonewall337
[ Display Name History ]

stonewall337

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,681 posts
  • RSN:Stonewall337
  • Clan:<Killing Time> of Dawnbringer
Damn. I hate you people with luck in monster hunting/ barrows. I'd tell you to go live in a hole, but you might take my advice and get more claws/barrow items o.o

Stonewall337.png

Drops

Wachtwoord
[ Display Name History ]

Wachtwoord

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,997 posts

Very nice, Wacht :thumbup:

Are you praying the entire time? It doesn't seem like it, but you also have no food. Thanks.

I ice barrage the melee brothers and then I stand one step diagonally from them. At that spot, I can hit them with my salamander, but they can't hit me. When they become unfrozen after 6 salamander blows (and if they're not dead yet), I hide behind a cofin a few seconds and barrage them again. If you do this right, each melee brother will only hit you once, it's impossible to avoid the first blow.

Then you said you get an average of 29k loot from the chest, 19k of it being profit.. And that you get 338k /hr, but I think you meant 338k every ~2hrs because 8 chests per hour multiplied by 19k average profit per chest is 152k/hr.

Actually, I measured the profit per hour and derived the profit per chest from that. I'm sure I spent 10K per chest, so that makes 52K per chest without items. Thanks for pointing that out.

About luck, okay, it may also depend on luck. But I still think this depends less on luck then normal monster hunting.

XxTearGodxX, I strongly suggest you should at least try my method for once. You'll be surprised how much quicker it is. Not to mention a salamander is cheaper and has a higher max hit then slayer dart. Also, one of the reasons I started this method is because I started to hate the banking and running back all the time.

All skills 80+
Posted Image

JoeDaStudd
[ Display Name History ]

JoeDaStudd

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,464 posts
  • RSN:joe da studd
I used to barrow a lot on my old account so I never really wanted to do it much on my current.

Looking over your items you got extremely lucky.

The helms are the rarest (if I remember rightly) part of the sets so to get 9 out of 26 items is extremely lucky. To add to this you only got 5 weapons which are about on par with legs for there rarity, being the most common parts.

If we average out the costs of the items it would be an average cost of 1.317m per item you get (if the odds where all equal).
So your getting 1 per about 2 hours thats pretty much half of that, so lets call it 700k

Now if you add the other items its close to 1m per hour, however when you take into account runes, ammo, potions and repair costs (your using 7 degrading items) it drops below 1m per hour.

All in all its a great money maker theres no doubt in that, in fact its one of the easier ones. However its extremely anti-social, your lucky if you have time to have a conversation with some there and all the movement makes PM's pretty annoying and risky to do.

PS. Replace one or two of the prayer pots with super restores to remove ahrims effects (makes healing quicker and reduces damage you might get).
Drops
Stats

Wachtwoord
[ Display Name History ]

Wachtwoord

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,997 posts
This is the first time I heard anyone claiming the helms are the rarest items. I assumed all items were equally rare, with that assumption, the average item is worth 1480K. So appearently, I made another calculation error somewhere (as I initially thought the average items was 1640K). Guess that teaches me not to make new topics or calculate stuff late at night.

I recalculated the profit at a little more then 1M/h, still pretty good in my opinion. I already substracted the costs of ammunition, runes, etc. so this 1M/h is pure profit. As you said, I didn't take degrading costs into account. However, even if you don't use your house to repair barrows, it's still only a maximum of 22K/h. This is assuming I used my barrows weapon all the time, which is of course false. The fact I used 7 degrading items doesn't make the cost of degrading higher then using only 4. 22k/h is neglectable IMO. I also left half keys out of the calculation, which lowers the error even more.

I don't need to use super restores as ahrim never lowered my stats under their normal level. (Remember I use a pure set each round.)

All skills 80+
Posted Image

JoeDaStudd
[ Display Name History ]

JoeDaStudd

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,464 posts
  • RSN:joe da studd
If you glance over the barrows blog on the blogs section (its really just monster drops with barrows items) there always seems to be less helms then there are any other parts. Could just be random luck, but I always found helms to be slightly rarer then other items.

Doesn't ahrim also drop your defense too?
I find ahrim drops my attack/strength slightly under the normal every other run which lessens the effect of the super set.
Drops
Stats

Wachtwoord
[ Display Name History ]

Wachtwoord

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,997 posts
Well, his defence lowering seems pretty rare, only hits me once every few rounds and level 86 instead of 92 defence doesn't matter much. And he never lowered my strength and attack below their normal levels, as that would need more then 3 lowerings in one fight. Maybe my slightly higher levels (especially magic), compared to yours is the cause of this difference.

All skills 80+
Posted Image

Mordendravid
[ Display Name History ]

Mordendravid

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • RSN:Mordendravid

Now if you add the other items its close to 1m per hour, however when you take into account runes, ammo, potions and repair costs (your using 7 degrading items) it drops below 1m per hour.

All in all its a great money maker theres no doubt in that, in fact its one of the easier ones. However its extremely anti-social, your lucky if you have time to have a conversation with some there and all the movement makes PM's pretty annoying and risky to do.

To be fair, I don't see that Barrows is anymore anti social than any other high profit activity. If you want to PM/chat you just do it between chests or in the tunnels. Yes this will slow down the amount of chests per hour, but talking while rc'ing slows down the number of essence you craft per hour also.

GWD is riskier than Barrows and again there are only certain points in the kill process when it's convenient to chat.
Posted Image

Mil
[ Display Name History ]

Mil

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,138 posts
  • RSN:Mil
Very nice :)

Of course, this depends on your stats. And with stats like yours, you'd probably get higher gp per hour at GWD etc.
But I still prefer Barrows :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users