headphones keep breaking after only a few weeks of usage?

tedbundty

I've now gone through 5 sets of headphones in probably the past 3 months and they all break the same way. First one of the headphones suddenly doesn't work unless I position it a certain way in the jack. So then I position it that way so I can listen to it, and then it gets harder and harder to do and finally the other one goes out and absolutely no noise comes out no matter how i position it.

I put my headphones in my pocket w/out being plugged into Ipod or wrapped around it (I wrapped around for the first 2 pairs and then the other 3 I tried not doing that and they lasted a bit longer). All of headphones were good ones - Sony and they sound great at first.

So is it something I'm doing to the headphones, something wrong with my Ipod or just unluckyness?

any help appreciated

EDIT: btw, this pair sometimes get's better for a day or two and I don't need to move cord around or anything and then it goes back, so idk if that's helpful or not. O and I also have Ipod in my pocket while I lift weights and sometimes it get's tight in my pockets, do you think that could be a reason for it?

................................[Currently Have - 1300M].................................

............tedsignature.jpg............

My Beginner's Merchanting Guide - My Youtube Channel - My Twitter

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This same thing happens to me, but I know I don't keep the best care of them (Which is why I buy 20 dollar skullcandies, cheap and they sound pretty good).

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

More specifics would help. I'm pretty sure you're talking about earbuds, right? What brand of earbuds? Edit: Oh, I see, Sony. What specific kind though?

Same thing also happened w/my first pair of headphones (apple ones that come w/ipod)

1. I don't blast them, I put them on Max when I'm mowing the law, but that's really not very loud considering the limits the ipod puts on it.

2. They are very expensive Headphones - MDR-EX700s

3. I do remove by ear not wire.

................................[Currently Have - 1300M].................................

Really the only thing you can do is make yourself take better care of them. It's kind of tedious but just don't be careless with them and you won't break them that much. I went through five+ headphones last school year, mostly because of careless removal, usage and packaging, but this year I've managed to not damage the latest ones in the slightest, and I got them at te beginning of the summer. (I generally loop them and put in a seperate coat pocket, when available. Otherwise I wrap them around my phone and they havn't been damaged yet).

So if you're serious about not breakin' 'em, well, don't break 'em.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Get something else than sony?

My philips headphones has went quite a long time before breaking. Come to think of it, I've had them for around 3 years now and they still work pretty good. The set I had before that were also philips and worked for 4 years.

Get something else than sony?

My philips headphones has went quite a long time before breaking. Come to think of it, I've had them for around 3 years now and they still work pretty good. The set I had before that were also philips and worked for 4 years.

I had another set tho before them and same thing happened so I don't think it's the Headphone's problem.

Skullcandy go through hell and they work for me. I always bite the wire and I keep dropping them and I just roll them like nothing. I have the light blue smokin' buds since February and they still work fine.

EDIT: Here I found the ones I have, but I bought them for 18$ at Target.

Wongton is better than me in anyway~~

94qbe.jpg

The same thing has happened to me, but not Sony I don't think. Original iPod earbuds lasted me two years before dying suddenly, then my next pair went after a few weeks, then the last pair went even quicker. It wasn't too bad on the latest set until the left bud started buzzing with the music, I just put up until it drove me to the point where I just tore it off. So now I'm just out of headphones.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

How are they breaking? Like does one ear bud just stop working, but works sometimes when you play around with the jack?

I found that as long as I keep a bit of loose wire around the jack, that the wire wont mess up in the inside and thus keeps longer.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

I've had the same problem before as well. I noticed with me, when i used Skull candy head phones with the upright jack (the bit that goes into your Mp3), they hardly lasted anytime. When i bought a set of Phillips head phones with a jack at an angle [hide=(this)]phoneprecutb.jpg[/hide]they lasted much longer. Reckon this was cause of the way my iPod sits in my pocket and with me walking about and sitting down/standing up at work quite a lot, it loosened the wires a bit. Might be worth a shot getting a set with an angled jack instead of a straight one.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

I've had the same problem before as well. I noticed with me, when i used Skull candy head phones with the upright jack (the bit that goes into your Mp3), they hardly lasted anytime. When i bought a set of Phillips head phones with a jack at an angle [hide=(this)]phoneprecutb.jpg[/hide]they lasted much longer. Reckon this was cause of the way my iPod sits in my pocket and with me walking about and sitting down/standing up at work quite a lot, it loosened the wires a bit. Might be worth a shot getting a set with an angled jack instead of a straight one.

funny you should say that cuz I do have an extension cord that I don't usually use but it has an angled jack, do you think I should try using that? Here's exact pic of it

dadd12a4d07b3bdafa4751b3c0f1b82e.jpg

It's not your fault.

Sony just sucks.

I would agree to that statement if my $3 Sony pairs didn't last me seven months. :-P

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Sorry for the formatting but I really would like to get OP's attention lol.

I've had these same exact problems. Before you go buy another pair of headphones, it's most likely your iPod. I had an iPod Touch 2G for a year, then I kept returning headphones because they'd do exactly what yours are doing. So, I researched a bit online. I took a stripped Q-Tip (basically a Q-tip with some but not all of the soft stuff ripped of the end) and stuck it in my headphone jack, swirled it around and pulled it out. I basically got a several mounds of pocket lint, that had been causing all my problems. Somehow it got stuck and formed inside there. The reason I had to keep turning it for any/better sound, was because it was getting in the way of the contacts. Try back and post with results. Hope this helps =D

tipitsig.png

They stop working because inside the wire the copper etc. breaks off inside of the earbud from being pulled,bended,or faulty to begin with which makes the electric current stop flowing through the wire to the earbud thus stops producing sound.

I would suggest the Skullcandy type headphone since the appear to work well from what I'm hearing in this thread or try the bigger headphones the sit on top of your head.

I would suggest the Skullcandy type headphone since the appear to work well from what I'm hearing in this thread or try the bigger headphones the sit on top of your head.

Man, do they even make those anymore?

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

More specifics would help. I'm pretty sure you're talking about earbuds, right? What brand of earbuds? Edit: Oh, I see, Sony. What specific kind though?

Same thing also happened w/my first pair of headphones (apple ones that come w/ipod)

1. I don't blast them, I put them on Max when I'm mowing the law, but that's really not very loud considering the limits the ipod puts on it.

2. They are very expensive Headphones - MDR-EX700s

3. I do remove by ear not wire.

I'd just like to ask... you bought 5 PAIRS OF $300 HEADPHONES?

:shock: Holy crap, that's a lot of $.

Man, do they even make those anymore?

I saw them next to all the other headphones at my Target a few weeks ago, so yes. They are readily available.

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

Sorry for the formatting but I really would like to get OP's attention lol.

I've had these same exact problems. Before you go buy another pair of headphones, it's most likely your iPod. I had an iPod Touch 2G for a year, then I kept returning headphones because they'd do exactly what yours are doing. So, I researched a bit online. I took a stripped Q-Tip (basically a Q-tip with some but not all of the soft stuff ripped of the end) and stuck it in my headphone jack, swirled it around and pulled it out. I basically got a several mounds of pocket lint, that had been causing all my problems. Somehow it got stuck and formed inside there. The reason I had to keep turning it for any/better sound, was because it was getting in the way of the contacts. Try back and post with results. Hope this helps =D

I did and a very small amount came out but nothing changed.