Mint Cakes

Leoo

We are finally seeing the long-term results of trade limits, and GE restrictions.

Lol, wut? Because mint cakes aren't rising fast enough and are therefore being used as cash? Of course trade limits are problems, but, as we've learned, they're completely necessary (RWT, if you didn't catch it, and yes, I believe Jagex's lies). People have found a way around the trade limits (junk), and there's nothing wrong with that. It's emergent game play, it works, and if people don't want to follow along with it, then too bad I guess.

There was never any intention to make them rise in GE value, in fact, the more they rise the less useful they become. This is purely a result of trade limits.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many people don't have a clue what they are used for. Remember back in the old days when you would want to buy somthing quickly or someone else wanted to buy it too, so you offered higher than the generally accepted price? That's what mint cakes are for. Say I want to buy an ags but it is bought out or not selling. So I go to w2 and offer mid price and a few mint cake for one. It's the just like increasing your buying price so you can get a seller. If everyone accepts these a currency with a set value they are really useful.

Levon.png Bladewing.png

It's great you know what you're talking about rustiod. Everything you've said is 100% accurate a true.

That being said...your a [bleep]ing [bleep] douchebag, and none of your advice will ever (or should ever) be taken seriously because of it.

disregard good advice because the giver is a douche

THAT MAKES YOU A BETTER PERSON

1st law of logic: people are stupid, i got myself a 24h ags intrade of a mint cake

You sir, are the stupid one. Mint cakes are worth 5m+ street price. you could have sold tons of junk, but instead you got a worthless ags lend....

Yes, i'm stupid, your stupid, everyone is stupid, but instead of spending hours gathering "junk" i got 24h ags lend that lead to 2 ss splits and 1 bandos hilt split, alongside 5m of lsp.

Why someone would spend hours gathering junk when making regular money is more profitable is beyond me.

FINALLY - someone who can cut through the double-talk & Grade A BS about junk trading

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

The only use I can see for mint cakes is scamming players into lending me godswords for 24 hours. I'll take no part in their use as a currency.

I am seeing this completely wrong, I am sure. But I don't see the big thing around mint cakes. So basicly the Mint Cake is extreme rising junk? And therefor better then the rest of the junk? Expecting profit from holding on to mints? Isn't this exactly what has been done by manipulation clans? Isn't there a point in which these WILL drop. no wait, not drop. CRASH.

With 25k, you won't lose out on much. If this trend continues (and most likely will) they will reach 100k? Perhaps 200k? What will be the point where people won't invest heavily in this? When is the point where some merchanter out there says, hey nice dump price?

The only difference between this and manipulation clans is that this is done with a junk item and it is widely used. Your risk, not mine :)

34eyfbd.jpg9h43sp.jpg16m28ty.jpg

The only use I can see for mint cakes is scamming players into lending me godswords for 24 hours. I'll take no part in their use as a currency.

I am seeing this completely wrong, I am sure. But I don't see the big thing around mint cakes. So basicly the Mint Cake is extreme rising junk? And therefor better then the rest of the junk? Expecting profit from holding on to mints? Isn't this exactly what has been done by manipulation clans? Isn't there a point in which these WILL drop. no wait, not drop. CRASH.

With 25k, you won't lose out on much. If this trend continues (and most likely will) they will reach 100k? Perhaps 200k? What will be the point where people won't invest heavily in this? When is the point where some merchanter out there says, hey nice dump price?

The only difference between this and manipulation clans is that this is done with a junk item and it is widely used. Your risk, not mine :)

Look around the forum, and see what mint cakes REALLY are. You have it completely wrong.

Essentially, since the GE can't, and doesn't update fast enough, or show the real (street) price of some items, other items which have a high appeal are used to balance out the trade. This could be something like buying d claws with rising items, when D claws have a GE value of 35m, but a street of 40m, or by offering 35m+2 mint cakes for the d claws. Since the mints only have a GE price of ~25k, but a street of 2.5m or so, they are used to balance out trades. They are, essentially, a fiat currency.

Personally, I am using mint cakes for buying/selling power. It is easier to buy a rising item with a mint cake, or to sell a crashing one. Since I got mine free, I don't loss anything, as I don't have junk to sell.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Thanks Stonewall for clearing it up to me :) Makes sense if you put it that way. From an economic point of view ofcourse it doesn't but heck :D It would be actually worth doing Gnome Cuisine (I am quite good at it). Knew I would have it all wrong.

I wonder who on earth came up with this idea and who is the sucker to fall for it?

Anyone here yet that sells their rising items for cash + mint cakes? What is your personal reason to accept mint cakes over hard cash?

34eyfbd.jpg9h43sp.jpg16m28ty.jpg

Thanks Stonewall for clearing it up to me :) Makes sense if you put it that way. From an economic point of view ofcourse it doesn't but heck :D It would be actually worth doing Gnome Cuisine (I am quite good at it). Knew I would have it all wrong.

I wonder who on earth came up with this idea and who is the sucker to fall for it?

Anyone here yet that sells their rising items for cash + mint cakes? What is your personal reason to accept mint cakes over hard cash?

Because mint cakes have an "invisible value" to them; you can only obtain certain "bought-out" items by including mint cakes. It's a very rudimentary economic system, comparable to when banks were backed by "good faith" instead of gold. At any time, the "good faith" can collapse and then the market will be in upheaval.

td2sig.jpg

It's a very rudimentary economic system, comparable to when banks were backed by "good faith" instead of gold. At any time, the "good faith" can collapse and then the market will be in upheaval.

Banks are still backed by good faith, mind you :P

It's a very rudimentary economic system, comparable to when banks were backed by "good faith" instead of gold. At any time, the "good faith" can collapse and then the market will be in upheaval.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that good faith is the new way to back money, gold was the old way.

If you jump into a river in Paris, you're insane. If you jump into a river in Egypt, you're in denial.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that good faith is the new way to back money, gold was the old way.

Correct you are. RuneScape is finally starting to look like the real economy. Inflation? "virtual" currency? We got it :D

Guide - How To Prepare For (And profit From) Free Trade & the Return of the Wilderness

rune-tips-banner.jpg

2.17B Total Wealth ~ The Original Grand Exchange Merchant

Correct you are. RuneScape is finally starting to look like the real economy. Inflation? "virtual" currency? We got it :D

Obtrusive price fixing and trade restrictions? :thumbdown:

If I get it correct, mint cakes are that attractive because people can still stake them.

When mint cakes keep on rising, they'll loose most of their attraction.

But what if people could find a semi-rare item which has a fixed price ceiling of 20k or under.

This would be usable for stakes forever and it could keep its status too if it was rare enough.

Mint cakes have become a de facto black market currency because of the trade restrictions in the game. (Trade restrictions *always* create black markets. No exceptions.)

The problem here is that this is a bad black market item because it has no inherent value. Worse, it is an item whose supply can be changed on a whim by the central government (Jagex). The only reason mint cakes are rare is because of how Gnome Delivery works. Any morning we could wake up and find that mint cakes are now given as rewards 10x as frequently. And in fact, I expect Jagex will do exactly that at some point, or make them available in some other way -- perhaps a way to make them via the Cooking skill.

Or, they could just make them untradeable. Why not? Lots of special, low-frequency rewards from minigames are untradeable.

And then lots of people will whine and moan, when they have only themselves to blame for this entire fool's venture.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Mint cakes have become a de facto black market currency because of the trade restrictions in the game. (Trade restrictions *always* create black markets. No exceptions.)

The problem here is that this is a bad black market item because it has no inherent value. Worse, it is an item whose supply can be changed on a whim by the central government (Jagex). The only reason mint cakes are rare is because of how Gnome Delivery works. Any morning we could wake up and find that mint cakes are now given as rewards 10x as frequently. And in fact, I expect Jagex will do exactly that at some point, or make them available in some other way -- perhaps a way to make them via the Cooking skill.

Or, they could just make them untradeable. Why not? Lots of special, low-frequency rewards from minigames are untradeable.

And then lots of people will whine and moan, when they have only themselves to blame for this entire fool's venture.

QFT.

Alot of noobs afe going to be hurt for manipulating an item with no real value. I mean, its primary function is to restore run energy, a function now mostly useless because of the recent run update. Come on, really?

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

Jesse, that is the point of a FIAT currency. It has no intrinsic value. I have 1 mint cake I got from Path of Glophire, and I might use it before it becomes worthless, I might not. Either way, IDK. But without a free economy, something like this will almost always happen.

Stonewall337.png
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)

Why would Jagex be concerned with wanting to make these items more readily available? They are perfectly happy with junk trading. They have no issue with them. The only issue they should be addressing is inflation.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

Why would Jagex be concerned with wanting to make these items more readily available? They are perfectly happy with junk trading. They have no issue with them. The only issue they should be addressing is inflation.

The question here is whether players are happy with the current economic situation, and whether players want to use junk trading. If it's our concern, it's Jagex's concern. The prices need to update more often, and items that aren't being traded on the Exchange need to start changing prices according to direct trades.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I guess I still hold out hope that Jagex will one day realize how much of a mess the economy is right now -- and that the current mint cake situation is indicative of that mess -- and deal with it properly. I'd prefer a more holistic redesign of how the GE works, but I can see them taking specific stop-gap measures against merchants and manipulation clans, and deflating the value of mint cakes is a pretty easy way to do it.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Junk trading and mint cakes are not indicative of the problem with the GE at the moment, and both have very little to do with it. Seeing as the main problem for Jagex is inflation (and to be honest, one that they have always been plagued with). I agree that the way in which the Grand Exchange operates needs reconfiguring, but it is difficult to do when even a small change can effect the entire order of things, sometimes unexpectedly. Jagex are only too aware of this fact I suppose and will not rush into any half hearted and ill thought out changes when it comes to the economy. Things do need to update more often, but with a player ran economy (and one that they vow will stay that way) and the current mass merchanting of items, any update that allows the Exchange to update more frequently would mean more of this merchanting would occur, to larger profits and at a more rapid rate. They have to walk the line between a player led economy, the undesirable consequences of this sort of economy and still limiting the possible ways of RWTing.

Signature3.gif

The GE should:

Update hourly for items that don't sell/buy for max or min. There are others, but that is one.

Stonewall337.png

I guess I still hold out hope that Jagex will one day realize how much of a mess the economy is right now -- and that the current mint cake situation is indicative of that mess -- and deal with it properly. I'd prefer a more holistic redesign of how the GE works, but I can see them taking specific stop-gap measures against merchants and manipulation clans, and deflating the value of mint cakes is a pretty easy way to do it.

Uggghhh.... wtf now... Deflating the value of mint cakes/making them easy to obtain does absolutely NOTHING. They're just a new item that's used to bridge the gap between items are that unbuyable on the GE. If they're gone, nothing happens. Items that were bought/sold with mints just wont buy/sell anymore on the street or GE since the only purpose mints have in the market right now is provide a sort of collateral for junk or rares. Mint cakes wont crash on the GE, so they're very stable currency in terms of GE price. Street price always fluctuates, but no item is safe from that sort of change. Mint cakes are different from most other items because they wont crash on the GE for the next few months. They serve the same purpose animal masks did a while ago.

What I don't understand is why people have an issue against mint cakes. They don't represent a problem in the economy, and I don't see the purpose of claiming that they are. Mint cakes are an ingenious way to get around price caps and are only a boon to the economy. People can actually buy/sell Santa Hats, H'ween Masks, Edibles, etc now because mints give people the power to get past faults in the GE.

There's obviously a simple way to fix this "problem," which would be to have the GE update more readily during the day when things are being bought-out or sold en masse. Jagex already stated that doing so could make people lose a lot of money, and since this game isn't supposed to be based around money, I don't see Jagex making those changes.

guido_49.png