The New skill thread

elucin8er

I had a pretty decent guess into what it could be until I read this...

- The Skill will introduce a whole new type of gameplay.

Now I honestly have no idea what Jagex mean by this, some "gaming" companies class "gameplay" as visual, eg; RS is 3rd person, maybe they'll be making a 1st person view?

Now I'm thinking something outrageous like; robots or some-sort, basically what MechScape was but when in control of the robot it'll be in 1st person.

God knows what it could be.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a pretty decent guess into what it could be until I read this...

- The Skill will introduce a whole new type of gameplay.

Now I honestly have no idea what Jagex mean by this, some "gaming" companies class "gameplay" as visual, eg; RS is 3rd person, maybe they'll be making a 1st person view?

Now I'm thinking something outrageous like; robots or some-sort, basically what MechScape was but when in control of the robot it'll be in 1st person.

God knows what it could be.

I hope its nothing like mobilizing armies. That was epic fail. Rewards good, but game play bad....

How about an entrepreneurial skill?

I would have said Business, but apparently it doesn't start with B, so maybe Merchanting or something like that

Each player would have their own instanced POB (Player Owned Business) consisting of Business Units (rather like we have rooms in our POH), and the higher level we are the more of these units we can have

Each Business Unit would be outfitted at our expense with some equipment and we would pay a worker to "harvest" the produce (rather like Miscellania)

But we would need the level in that skill for each unit - if the worker was cutting yews we would need the Woodcutting level, if they were killing abby demons we would need the Slayer level, and so on for all the skills

And we would gain the XP not from our own actions but from those of our workers

And we could sell the produce, hopefully making a profit after we've bought the original equipment and paid the workers

This could lead to endless forums discussions on strategy... Do we lose a lot of money at first to get more Business Units to make money later, or go for the steady moneystream approach? Are yews more profitable and/or better XP than abby demons?

And note that Jagex has recently been promoting clans...

Could this be because they see players grouping together to form a version of the old Runescape "companies" about which people so fondly reminisce?

rsbotsonline.png

sure I'll take a whack at it.

please pardon the wild speculations of this post.

After looking at what was posted on the RSOF and quoted here, things started jumping around in my head. The quote about a ship being featured quite predominately caught my attention.

we know that there will be new lands introduced into runescape and a new skill that will be CRAAAAAAZY and totally original, but we don't know much on the specifics of said skill.

I'm willing to wager that the new skills central focus is doing something in the new lands. That something could be you befriending the locals of the new lands on behalf of Gilenor, you exploring the new land doing random tasks for locals, or hell, there could be monsters plaguing the new land and you need to kill them. Whatever the specifics of training will be I think it will have some random element to it (random tasks from npcs, random area layouts). I also think this skill will NOT be trainable in Gilenor. The fact the the skill isn't a gather/creation skill or anything we've seen before can only lead to some strange way to earn xp.

I also see this ship as being your transportation to the new lands. Whether you are the captain of this ship or just a passenger is unknown, but the ship plays a huge role either way.

alternatively, the new skill could be opening a CocaCola plant in the new lands. </sarcasm>

At first I thought that we were looking too far into this and that the answers weren't so complex. But as I wrote this, I too started to speculate into the realm of crazy.

Meh, we'll see when it's released.

4e0Vn.png

An instanced exploration skill would be awesome! :)

Imagine traveling to different areas, perhaps gaining more knowledge about RS history along the way.... I doubt it will be that, though. I wonder when they'll release it. We aren't that far away from summer.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

The new skill is Horatio. It will be a social skill that requires a lot of foresight and pop culture knowledge.

At level one you receive the pair of shades. The higher you level, the more poignant your puns become (At level 10 you learn what poignant means).

Example:

Player 1: OMG, my wife just pk'ed me by accident. We were recording her hitting me with her whip and she didn't stop when I got low on HP.

Player 2: You should yell at her.

Player 1: I can't do that, she's my wife.

Player 3:

Looks like your avatar emot-frog.gif

Isn't the only thing whipped emot-frogc00l.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjRG2530rwI

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I have a feeling I'm not gonna like this skill XD i like RS skills :( oh well maybe the change will be for the better.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

The new skill is Horatio. It will be a social skill that requires a lot of foresight and pop culture knowledge.

At level one you receive the pair of shades. The higher you level, the more poignant your puns become (At level 10 you learn what poignant means).

Example:

Player 1: OMG, my wife just pk'ed me by accident. We were recording her hitting me with her whip and she didn't stop when I got low on HP.

Player 2: You should yell at her.

Player 1: I can't do that, she's my wife.

Player 3:

Looks like your avatar emot-frog.gif

Isn't the only thing whipped emot-frogc00l.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjRG2530rwI

I lol'd. I love Horatio jokes.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I would have said Business, but apparently it doesn't start with B, so maybe Merchanting or something like that

Each player would have their own instanced POB (Player Owned Business) consisting of Business Units (rather like we have rooms in our POH)

You could be onto something here, I remember when Jagex were releasing POH, they said we'd all have POS (Player Owned Shops), I think it's still in their news archive as well.

Each player would have their own instanced POB (Player Owned Business) consisting of Business Units (rather like we have rooms in our POH)

You could be onto something here, I remember when Jagex were releasing POH, they said we'd all have POS (Player Owned Shops), I think it's still in their news archive as well.

I think they said at some point that POS eventually became the exchange. pos+the already existing ge would be pointless

I think they said at some point that POS eventually became the exchange. pos+the already existing ge would be pointless

No they didn't. In fact, after the Grand Exchange came out they said that they were still looking at Player Owned Shops in some fashion, but that they were impossible under the (at the time) current engine.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

No they didn't. In fact, after the Grand Exchange came out they said that they were still looking at Player Owned Shops in some fashion, but that they were impossible under the (at the time) current engine.

POS are unnecessary, would take a lot of time, and also take up a crapload of memory. They could improve POH instead which would be a lot more worthwhile.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

POS are unnecessary, would take a lot of time, and also take up a crapload of memory. They could improve POH instead which would be a lot more worthwhile.

Agreed. Everyone owns the same POH at level 99. Mahogany/marble/magic stone/gold leaf, along with identical looking rooms. It's the only skill that made me feel that unlocking one content per level is a utterly crappy system.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

An instanced quest area. Players can participate in groups ( or alone ) in certain portaled areas ( much like rs houses ) each time getting a random scenario which requires you to complete a quest like event. There will be many quest types, and the higher level you get the more you can unlock. Obviously my idea is a sketchy overview, but it's the basic idea. I really really enjoy the quest side of RS, and I know jagex do also. Implementing a quest like skill to me would be very awesome, perhaps even being able to unlock higher xp quests if you complete the true RS quests.

Cool, I hope it is. I remember making a thread on this forum suggesting something like Randomly Generated Scenarios being made into a whole skill instead of a mini game. Of course I don't play anymore, but I still think it's an update that RS needs and will prove to be a lot of fun.

I've been thinking something like engineering, but I know that's been used in MMO's before, maybe something either based around that OR maybe something to do with weather, using the weather to open up a whole new spectrum of weapons, for other skills like farming and sailing would be a good way to train it up.... Very unique, and yeah, just a thought.

signiture2ug9.gif

99 / 99 Mining

89 / 99 Smithing

87 / 90 Strength

SKILL TOTAL: 1836 / 2000

I cannot say it has nothing to do with boats because a SHIP is featuring in it quite prominently, but I can repeat that it is not Sailing or anything like that. The skill doesn't start with a B. It won't be expensive.

LeaderSHIP. Done.

Stellactic.gif

I love the idea of a quest style skill, very open and a lot of room for interesting updates.

Personally, I think a lot of resent updates have something to do with archeology. so mabye a skill that invalves digging? or finding treasure in spacific areas? I don't know, just the idea of digging and tunneling for treasure and possable rare items is really intreguing and open to the imagination.

Any thoughts?

Creator288.png2763.gif

Whatever the skill is, I just hope we are able to work together rather than being competitive. The whole thought that the skill was going to be a game itself catches my interest, but could this have some sort of relation to MechScape?