Portal 2 anounced

Nadril

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/05/portal-2-confirmed-by-game-informer-cover-due-in-2010/

portal2.cover.030510-580px.jpg

The past week's bizarre pair of updates to Portal seemed to point towards an impending announcement of a sequel, and, well, they did. Game Informer has revealed that its April 2010 cover story is none other than ... Portal 2 -- which Valve has given a release window of "this holiday season." The magazine's site teases the 12-page feature, calling the game "a full-fledged, standalone sequel" with "new gameplay mechanics, storyline, and some surprising new twists."

We'd venture a guess that one of those twists has to do with wherever the portal featured in the cover art leads to -- a misty, jungle setting where some sort of seemingly derelict facility stands, overrun with vines. The flip-side of the cover is (cleverly) a view back through this portal into a familiar Aperture Science setting. Finally, the single cover line mentions "the people who are still alive," a potential hint at a reason for venturing into the new setting in the first place.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/03/portal-updated-with-extended-ending/

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/03/portal-fans-find-secret-images-bbs-phone-number-in-radio-messag/

If anyone was keeping up these past few days valve started to hint at a sequel with a pair of strange endings. Today Joystiq found out that, yeah, it's an announcement for Portal 2.

Today's big reveal of Portal 2 as next month's Game Informer cover did lots of us in the maniacal excitement department, but little for us in the hard facts department. But now, between Eurogamer being told by Valve that the game is heading to Xbox 360 and PC, and Game Informer's reveal that the sequel features a "two-player co-op mode [with] its own campaign [featuring] two new playable characters" (not to mention that it's set to release at "full retail price") we're ... well ... we're still kinda hurting for more news. The most important question of the moment, though: Can we have it right now? Please? We know you said this holiday, but what if we say pretty please? With cherries on top?

http://www.vg247.com/2010/03/07/portal-2-gi-feature-gets-scanned-is-internetalised-looks-awesome/

* The game takes place hundreds of years after the original. Hence why the Apature centure looks a lot like a jungle possibly.

* GlaDOS returns as the main villain, with the subject from the last game, Chell, coming back to be the protagonist.

* The co-op campaign is separate from the main story in the game. It lets you play as two bipedal robots.

* Those personality cores thrown into the fire at the end of the last game? They’ve shut off areas of the Apature lab and made it their own.

* Physics has a bigger role this time, with one demo showing a portal could be used from an air vent to suck air from one area to an another.

* Reflection cubes will be added to the game for laser-based puzzles.

* Valve had no idea Portal 1 would be so big.

* The original Portal was seen as a “test bed”. The sequel will be a fully fledged title.

GAME INFORMER SCANS

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x170/pizzashapes/

Not hotlinking because bandwidth exceeded.

TRAILER SOME TIME THIS WEEK

I read the scans, as well as I could..

-A personality core revives you and asks for help, he helps you through the challenges and awakens GLaDOS by mistake.

-Game takes place after Half Life Anything (so clearly Freeman wins, we don't need E3 now :( )

-GLaDOS will use her "sexy" voice (the one she uses at the end of the first game)

-Co-op, you play as two robots, one modded from a core, another from a turret. They each shoot their own separate portals (no mention of the color) and the coop campaign is either parallel or has nothing to do with the single player campaign.

-Still Alive 2

[hide]

portal2top.jpg

portalcover2.jpg

[/hide]

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many questions. Curse you Valve. :S

[hide]What are you being dragged away by in that extended ending O_O

I had heard that from the decoded radio messages, images of Half-Life were seen; there was speculation that Valve would be merging HL and Portal storylines, but I don't know the truth in that.[/hide]

hzvjpwS.gif

OMG THIS IS AWESOME

I can't wait... I really can't wait...

Knowing my luck it won't work on my computer (like the original Portal) but I'm still very excited. Even though I've never been able to play Portal because my graphics card is specifically of the 'noob' type, I've watched so many YouTube videos :P

I just hope they don't ruin it!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

AMG

I WAS LIKE

WTFLILLOLOOFEV

WHEN I SAW THIS ON STEAM FORUMS

But yeah! Apparently, it might be a full retail price game (£30-40?)

Ninane - as far as we know, we're being dragged away by a box of beans (from the model viewer data anyway). But it can be assumed that it was a APSCI Military Android, with a very odd Chinese/South African accent.

WorldOfAVR_Part1_Avacyn_ajg5pfqs0fs.png

So many questions. Curse you Valve. :S

[hide]What are you being dragged away by in that extended ending O_O

I had heard that from the decoded radio messages, images of Half-Life were seen; there was speculation that Valve would be merging HL and Portal storylines, but I don't know the truth in that.[/hide]

[hide]It's been known that they are going to link Portal and Half life together. The biggest evidence of this is that at the end of Episode 2 they talk about this boat that is out in the middle of nowhere [portal technology].[/hide]

e:

Today's big reveal of Portal 2 as next month's Game Informer cover did lots of us in the maniacal excitement department, but little for us in the hard facts department. But now, between Eurogamer being told by Valve that the game is heading to Xbox 360 and PC, and Game Informer's reveal that the sequel features a "two-player co-op mode [with] its own campaign [featuring] two new playable characters" (not to mention that it's set to release at "full retail price") we're ... well ... we're still kinda hurting for more news. The most important question of the moment, though: Can we have it right now? Please? We know you said this holiday, but what if we say pretty please? With cherries on top?

The rumor of them merging Portal 2 and Half Life storylines is more fanmade than anything else. The universe is the same for each storyline but the events occur at different times. Thus, I am highly doubting complete cross between the two, but more or less a few mentions like the boat.

Either way the code they updated the game with a week ago, was just pure insane fun trying to decipher. I got pretty far into it until I saw that you needed HyperTerminal and a modem to do the BBS phone line. That deterred me from finishing.

The rumor of them merging Portal 2 and Half Life storylines is more fanmade than anything else. The universe is the same for each storyline but the events occur at different times. Thus, I am highly doubting complete cross between the two, but more or less a few mentions like the boat.

Either way the code they updated the game with a week ago, was just pure insane fun trying to decipher. I got pretty far into it until I saw that you needed HyperTerminal and a modem to do the BBS phone line. That deterred me from finishing.

It's not fan made, there is a pretty obvious connection.

The fan made part is that Valve is going to converge the two games into one game. What is not fan made is that the events in Half Life & Portal are contained in the same universe but not necessarily at the same time. This is found from clues found in the game (and hinted/directly said in interviews with Valve). My post did not contain an 'it', it contained multiple "its', so if you want to refine your post, please be specific in which it you're referring to, thanks - for your convenience I re-explained myself more bluntly.

This is gonna be even more epic than making a turret fly endlessly. :wub:

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber

The fan made part is that Valve is going to converge the two games into one game. What is not fan made is that the events in Half Life & Portal are contained in the same universe but not necessarily at the same time. This is found from clues found in the game (and hinted/directly said in interviews with Valve). My post did not contain an 'it', it contained multiple "its', so if you want to refine your post, please be specific in which it you're referring to, thanks - for your convenience I re-explained myself more bluntly.

Well they are both seperate series, yeah. There still is a lot hinting at HL3 will be involved with the aperture science lab in some way (with the borealis or w/e it is called). It might not be to the point where we play with a portal gun or anything but I'm pretty sure it'll tie them together storywise.

When they say "Holiday Season" do they mean the upcoming Easter holiday or Christmas?

Don't get me wrong, the announcement of Portal 2 is almost as epic as Episode 3, but I'd hate getting my hopes up only for it to be released at Christmas.

00:00:05

00:00:04

00:00:03

00:00:02

00:00:01

00:00:00

Break the Walls down!

Holiday season has always refered to Christmas. If it were Easter, they would say it would be in April or something.

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!