POLL: What is your opinion on the recent Hitpoints/Constitution update?

Cowman_133

I think the best part of the update is watching people whining and screeching and boo-hooing over not being able to drop the last digit and tell if they need to eat. It's been funny, especially the "riot" I saw on world 66. Other than that, I haven't cared. I don't really enjoy combat so I don't do much of it. This update puts more stress on defense rather than strength, so in that respect, I guess I like it, since my def has always been my number one combat skill. All in all, it really doesn't matter to me. They could change it to we have 9.90 hp instead of 99 or 990, and I'd still not care.

QUESTION.........

Has there ever been an update that Jagex actually undid/removed/put back just because of player complaint? For some reason, I do not think that has or ever would happen.

Taking the stats off the Fighter Torso to only put them back hours later after whingers got up in arms and threatened to quit. And you can probably count Ice Strykewyrms too as so many people whinged about the fire cape requirement so they added in 2K points cost to get them assigned.

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the moment, I am neutral. I don't think it's a terrible update, nor do I love it. I'll get used to it eventually. I do like the fact that you can hit .5s and stuff, though.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

I'm for the update, but I'd rather it be named "Health" or "Vitality" instead, as now I simply don't wear my Construction cape because of the nooby jokes about my "con" level, which thank goodness I can say 99 and still be right either way. Nonetheless I really hope they give the name some more thought. :mellow:

Something had to be done about the combat system in RS, but I am as yet uncertain how much good the recent update will do. However, I doubt Jagex has ruined RS.

I dislike the renaming of HP, it seems pointless.

Carpe_Deus.png

qkpY.png

I think that Jagex could have added the extra significant figure without having to multiply everything by ten, although I'm not sure people would have been any more open to a one-tenth system. Also, where does it say that, previously, if a hit were i.e. 14.9, it would round down to 14? Also, if there were only 2 sig figs for hits, why would a hit ever be calculated as 14.9, then rounded down? Wouldn't hits only be calculated to integers?

Personally, I would love it if Jagex made this display optional, like the custom cursors. For this, it could be made that everything calculated to three sig figs (in combat xp and monster/player damages, etc), but you were only displayed two sig figs rounded. The worst error that would occur is (not surprisingly) to one sig fig, i.e., you display 49 HP when you only have 486 LP.

acheron.jpg

There should be a comma between the decimal. The number 10 is not small in reality. The number 990 is ALOT. So it kinda messes with your brain. We have been used to the plain old good system for ages. I hate how "BIG" numbers should be added to make the game look better. But hey, why not make it x20, or x300 while your at it? That way the lower levels will go "WoW i am great!"

I think that Jagex could have added the extra significant figure without having to multiply everything by ten, although I'm not sure people would have been any more open to a one-tenth system. Also, where does it say that, previously, if a hit were i.e. 14.9, it would round down to 14? Also, if there were only 2 sig figs for hits, why would a hit ever be calculated as 14.9, then rounded down? Wouldn't hits only be calculated to integers?

Personally, I would love it if Jagex made this display optional, like the custom cursors. For this, it could be made that everything calculated to three sig figs (in combat xp and monster/player damages, etc), but you were only displayed two sig figs rounded. The worst error that would occur is (not surprisingly) to one sig fig, i.e., you display 49 HP when you only have 486 LP.

Uhm even if it is calculated using integers rounding happens in the GPU: int i(10),j(3),x(i/j); would make x 3.. - Now multiplieing the base number by 10:

int i(10),j(3),x;
x = (i*10) / j; //x = 33

For talking it doesn't matter if the number is rounded down because of the typecasting or rounded down using a function. Fact is that the numbers are truncated.

PS: those who say that you can only hit more if strength would be "x-levels higher": that's wrong!

Yes the MAX hit could only increase at certain points: thanks to the truncating.. But the average hit did increase (and effectively the likeness to hit the max-number), rounding is only done at the END of the calculation. To understand this we have to consider how the function RAND() works: quick guide

As you can see the random function returns any possible number in the interval [0,1) or [0000 0000 0000 0000, 000f ffff ffff ffff]. This value would be multiplied by a certain number, which is a function from your strength level.

ACTUALHIT = randomval * hitfunction(STRENGTH);

hitfunction typically (in games such as runescape) is the function that returns your max hit (or actually "an infinite small number above the max hit") - Typically (from experience with lots of other games) a function such as this will NOT round on its own (because that might introduce rounding errors - and it's not a cpu-expensive operation).

Now asume strength does increase your max hit by "0,99" each level, and at some point you would hit "15". Now your roll the dice for randomval, and it returns "0,9": this would mean your actual hit is: truncated(0,9 * 15) = 13

next level your max hit is something like "15,99" or "159,9"... Now if the again you roll the dice for a value of "0,9": 0,9 * 15,99 = 14,391 -> 14.

And as you can see even though the strength did not increase your MAX hit, it did increase your overal/average hit.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

QUESTION.........

Has there ever been an update that Jagex actually undid/removed/put back just because of player complaint? For some reason, I do not think that has or ever would happen.

Taking the stats off the Fighter Torso to only put them back hours later after whingers got up in arms and threatened to quit. And you can probably count Ice Strykewyrms too as so many people whinged about the fire cape requirement so they added in 2K points cost to get them assigned.

Fighter's torsto was arguably obsolete without a str bonus, it was almost identical to all other "junk rune" armours. I don't think that has much to do wtih complaints, just not realizing.

Ice strykewyrms: again i don't think Jagex realized how few staffs would come into circulation, as many high level slayers do not have fire capes. High slayer is actually quite a good descriptor for high level players without fire capes in my experience. I agree the ice wyrms were a little dubious, I don't think you need to buy the 2k to get them as a task unless you don't have a fire cape.

Why can't they just round up?

Because Jagex are British. Just like my blasted stupid government too..... It'd be way too simple to do something like that....... So they make everything complex, over dramatise it, and annoy alot of americans whilst at it...... So it's not all bad ;)

(BTW I can't wait to move out of this country for a while, going to go to america for a bit after uni ^^)

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

Because Jagex are British. Just like my blasted stupid government too..... It'd be way too simple to do something like that....... So they make everything complex, over dramatise it, and annoy alot of americans whilst at it...... So it's not all bad ;)

(BTW I can't wait to move out of this country for a while, going to go to america for a bit after uni ^^)

Oh, you inoccent, ignorant soul... I pity you. America *shakes head* Hope you enjoy it here! (drama *laugh crazily*)

On topic: I think that is how it was written the begining, probably for some very good reason. (edit: that was important at the time)

total conjection: I think it probably is to even out when your maxed hit increases the first time. If you didn't round down in the begining, your lowest max hit would only last half the number of lvles as your max hit would increase from then on out. I don't know if this is true, but it sounded good in my head.

But it could be now, one of those things that is so inbeded into the code that it would be a huge task to change.

It doesn't really affect me too much since I'm not much of a combat goer, but I'm sure it has changed the landscape of combat much more than any previous update they've made.

1. Constitution - does that even make sense to anyone without using a dictionary? Or is it just a rip off other MMO's?

2. Jagex sounded like babies with "zeroes are boring".

I'm just sayin'. :P

It doesn't really affect me too much since I'm not much of a combat goer, but I'm sure it has changed the landscape of combat much more than any previous update they've made.

1. Constitution - does that even make sense to anyone without using a dictionary? Or is it just a rip off other MMO's?

2. Jagex sounded like babies with "zeroes are boring".

I'm just sayin'. :P

I think you are wrong there, don't you know how much combat changed from rsc to rs2?

Anyway, I support this update, I can't wait to see all the cool things Jagex will do with these new possibilities :)

I hate it in terms of Agility training. I'm used to solid numbers to go off when failing an obstacle, now instead of say 11 from failing a Blade i now get hit 117 or something and throws it off.

Popoto.~<3

Because rounding down makes everything complex and overdramatic????

The reason for the rounding down (as I see it) is so that it is actually possible to hit 0's.

Think about it: if a man hits you for 0.1 and you always round up, then you would have been hit for 1 hp. But if a man hits you for 0.0000001 and you always round up, then you still would have got hit for one. So every stike would be a guaranteed hit. You could never tank. Ever.

If you only rounded up when the hit was .5 or higher, then you'd still take a considerable amount more damage (about an extra 1 damage 50% of the time) which would make low level training on anything other than chickens virtually impossible.

It's worth noting that they still round down, even under the new system. If I were to hit a 147 now I could actually be doing all the way up to 147.9 damage and it would still count as 147.

Schmuall.png

give F2P a penny and they want a dime; give P2P a quarter, they want 100,000 dollars, your car, house, boat, social security number, credit card numbers, drivers license, clothes on your back and everything you ever owned or interacted with ever

Could someone tell me why this update makes RS into wow? I have never played wow, and, other than saying "You hit big numbers" how did this turn Runescape into anything? I would really like an honest answer that can actually explain it, not just a couple off hand comments as if I know wow as well as I know the back of my hand. I haven't asked this before, not on a forum, but I have in game, and never got any decent answers.

This might be one of the least interesting signatures on the forum. Sorry.

I quite like this change, I agree with Jagex that it opens some new avenues. Now I have to toddle off and figure out a few ideas for the suggestion forums....

ETA: The "waaaaaaah big numbers/it's teh compumplictated" crowd: LOL I wonder can the whiners get any more pathetic?

Louis_Redux.png

All skills 70+ again 16/06/2010

I think the change is a good one. It makes combat better and also cooler. It also makes you more motivated to train your combat skills, since instead of getting a max hit of +1, you now get one of +10. That's quite a big, visual difference. I also believe it is better for the new players who join the game.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Because rounding down makes everything complex and overdramatic????

The reason for the rounding down (as I see it) is so that it is actually possible to hit 0's.

Think about it: if a man hits you for 0.1 and you always round up, then you would have been hit for 1 hp. But if a man hits you for 0.0000001 and you always round up, then you still would have got hit for one. So every stike would be a guaranteed hit. You could never tank. Ever.

If you only rounded up when the hit was .5 or higher, then you'd still take a considerable amount more damage (about an extra 1 damage 50% of the time) which would make low level training on anything other than chickens virtually impossible.

It's worth noting that they still round down, even under the new system. If I were to hit a 147 now I could actually be doing all the way up to 147.9 damage and it would still count as 147.

If all zeroes were simply from very low decimal hits, then what is attack and defence for? Most zeroes are from missing, not from hitting 0.00001.

And I'm not really sure that more than one decimal was even calculated. Even if it is, it dosen't matter because with three digits every strength level increases your max hit already so four would just be redundant.