12-Apr-2010 - Dungeoneering Skill!

12pure34

It's kind of funny that Daemonheim is sort of a more "perfect" Runescape. Has anyone else noticed that players use a variety of weapons and a variety of combat styles while down in the dungeons? It's because Jagex spent the time to perfectly balance each the weapons, so their counterpart would be as good or just as good. Some players prefer the maul for that massive crush, while some prefer a faster longsword that can dish out some decent slash damage, and then there is the spear (my personal favorite)- which can adapt to multiple combat styles. It's very strange to not see 95% of players wielding scimitars.

Also the combat triangle is very balanced, much more balanced than it is on the surface. A team NEEDS mages and rangers, if they plan on surviving some of those hard bosses.

Sometimes, I feel a bit scared going back to the... above-surface Runescape. :ohnoes:

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kind of funny that Daemonheim is sort of a more "perfect" Runescape. Has anyone else noticed that players use a variety of weapons and a variety of combat styles while down in the dungeons? It's because Jagex spent the time to perfectly balance each the weapons, so their counterpart would be as good or just as good. Some players prefer the maul for that massive crush, while some prefer a faster longsword that can dish out some decent slash damage, and then there is the spear (my personal favorite)- which can adapt to multiple combat styles. It's very strange to not see 95% of players wielding scimitars.

Also the combat triangle is very balanced, much more balanced than it is on the surface. A team NEEDS mages and rangers, if they plan on surviving some of those hard bosses.

Sometimes, I feel a bit scared going back to the... above-surface Runescape. :ohnoes:

It's RuneScape in a petri dish. :thumbup: Hopefully this mini RS can be tweaked to perfection, after which Jagex can bring the same standards to the outside world. I wonder if spears are overpowered though. In F2P I see a variety of weapons, but at promethium level most melee players seem to use spears.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

It's RuneScape in a petri dish. :thumbup: Hopefully this mini RS can be tweaked to perfection, after which Jagex can bring the same standards to the outside world. I wonder if spears are overpowered though. In F2P I see a variety of weapons, but at promethium level most melee players seem to use spears.

They stated somewhere that they would not alter weapons above ground, as it would have a "significant impact" upon the game play. Yes, a postive significant impact. But I suppose I can't blame them, considering the general reaction of anything new in Runescape.

I wouldn't say that Spears are overpowered. It sacrifices a signifcant amount of power in order to gain the ability to use all three of the styles. Most weapons, however, have at least two viable attack options to use, which is generally sufficent in most circumstances (there isn't any monster that resists two attack styles). Those weapons can hit higher and more accurately than the Spear can, especially in the Slash option, diminishing the spear's usefulness. The spear is still a viable option, however, and is recommended frequently to players, which may explain why so many people use it.

If you have only meleers, you will have to use a weapon that is versatile: since you need stab & crush for the harder melee-able oponents..

However if you have a mage in your team, this isn't needed: and actually a 2h might be better against the rangers (you can just leave the forgotten warriors / big melee-opponents to the mages). Or in case of a very good team, one person would 'tank": meaning the longsword would be best (+shield). Only problem with the long + shield combo is the time taken to make these.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Anyone else see the problem with making air runes sell back at 12 gp each?

Any person with more than 44 runecrafting is sitting on infinite runecrafting experience, as long as they spend the time on it.

Worst part about it is how secluded the dungeon is - no one can see a macroer.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Any person with more than 44 runecrafting is sitting on infinite runecrafting experience, as long as they spend the time on it.

If we don't count the buy and resell, you can make the whooping 6k runecrafting exp per hour =/

i thought they changed that to 4gp?

Lord_Beloved.png

i thought they changed that to 4gp?

Nope it's still 12gp ea. 6 gp for earth's and water's, 9 for fire and most of the other runes.

For the XP rate, by the time you hit your desired level the system should have noticed this particular player spending hours in the same floor.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

Why would anyone even bother to macro it? If the xp rate even hits 6k an hour (by someone above), it would take that character nearly 6 years of continuous air crafting to get 99. Even if they were using the money from that to train another skill in there, the xp rates would be even lower per hour, by far not worth doing. The only use of this method is to earn enough money to get a few items you need to get through the level, nothing more.

~Dan

overall-1.png: 1437 combat.png: 173
Lowest Combat to 1,000 Total in F2P (23 Combat)
2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

Why would anyone even bother to macro it? If the xp rate even hits 6k an hour (by someone above), it would take that character nearly 6 years of continuous air crafting to get 99. Even if they were using the money from that to train another skill in there, the xp rates would be even lower per hour, by far not worth doing. The only use of this method is to earn enough money to get a few items you need to get through the level, nothing more.

~Dan

actually it would take 90 days of 24/7 rc'ing

Lord_Beloved.png

~Dan

actually it would take 90 days of 24/7 rc'ing

Sorry, miscalced...I did 13m/6k/365, missed dividing into different days. However, 90 days is still a long time, and I doubt the xp is even that high, given that you need to sell back the air runes. Also, there is a forced log out after 6 hours, "restarting" the process, as it does take longer in the beginning, seeing that you need to sell the air runes back to the Nomad.

Simply said, even if this could be done in under 6 months of 24/7 rcing, it is not worth it, given that regular rc'ing outside of Daemonheim is sufficiently faster, who's path can also be macroed, and actually gives a profit.

~Dan

overall-1.png: 1437 combat.png: 173
Lowest Combat to 1,000 Total in F2P (23 Combat)
2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

[ and I doubt the xp is even that high, given that you need to sell back the air runes.

6k per hour without the runes selling (1 exp per 10 runes, it crafts 10 runes per 1 click (0.6 sec) and there are 6000 clicks per hour). Anyways I think I've mentioned that it's 6k WITHOUT the selling ... that makes it ~5k per hour because the runes are going to stack .. and stack ..

But you still see most people using one weapon type-- spears. The triangle is indeed much more balanced (too bad ranged still sucks because the highest type of arrow gives +46 ranged strength), but still one type of weapon excels over all others.

td2sig.jpg

They stated somewhere that they would not alter weapons above ground, as it would have a "significant impact" upon the game play. Yes, a postive significant impact. But I suppose I can't blame them, considering the general reaction of anything new in Runescape.

I wouldn't say that Spears are overpowered. It sacrifices a signifcant amount of power in order to gain the ability to use all three of the styles. Most weapons, however, have at least two viable attack options to use, which is generally sufficent in most circumstances (there isn't any monster that resists two attack styles). Those weapons can hit higher and more accurately than the Spear can, especially in the Slash option, diminishing the spear's usefulness. The spear is still a viable option, however, and is recommended frequently to players, which may explain why so many people use it.

I think they are overpowerd in the way that shields take a long time to gather, and there isn't such thing as a rune defender to boost the offence of 1-handed weapons. This makes 2handed much more desired in dungeoneering than in the "real" runescape. I personally don't bother with shields, even when I still had a rapier. Also, the str bonus of the spear is actually pretty high, you should check it, it's for instance higher than a warhammer.

The spear is good for soloing but in a team the other weapons (such as 2h for the killer attack bonus and str) are a better choice. Since I prefer to solo the spear IS the best weapon. But in a team of .. even 2 players a 2h + something else seems the better option.

I think they are overpowerd in the way that shields take a long time to gather, and there isn't such thing as a rune defender to boost the offence of 1-handed weapons. This makes 2handed much more desired in dungeoneering than in the "real" runescape. I personally don't bother with shields, even when I still had a rapier. Also, the str bonus of the spear is actually pretty high, you should check it, it's for instance higher than a warhammer.

Actually there are defender type things in daemonheim, they are protectors and guardians ward. Although guardians ward is bugged in game atm (it gives defense stats where it should give attack stats) its actually quite good in combination with primal long (i suppose).

@Dragonlordjl:

But whats wrong with one weapon being used the most? Isn't it quite natural that one weapon excels others? Or do you mean that most people just melee and don't bother with magic or ranged?

Lord_Beloved.png

[ and I doubt the xp is even that high, given that you need to sell back the air runes.

6k per hour without the runes selling (1 exp per 10 runes, it crafts 10 runes per 1 click (0.6 sec) and there are 6000 clicks per hour). Anyways I think I've mentioned that it's 6k WITHOUT the selling ... that makes it ~5k per hour because the runes are going to stack .. and stack ..

Except, like cleaning herbs, a macro can sell nearly everything at once. And 90 days of continuous macroing... most peoples computers sit idling anyway... even lifting 10% of the 13m xp would make cheaters consider it.

Not to mention, there were bugs where you could smuggle stuff outside the dungeons. The weapons wouldn't work, but the GP and runes would.

Edit: Also, after getting a million GP in the dungeon, think of all the smithing, crafting, and herblore XP that could be.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

I think actually the knowledge base is wrong about these wards. I mean, +80 attack bonuses for a shield, that's too good...

On the spear being the best overall: I guess like others have said that it's mostly for solo. I can imagine that a celestial staff (+30% magic attack and hopefully damage too?) would for instance own in teams, same for a primal 2H or maul. You just need someone to back up your weakness.

Ranged however, is just weak IMO. I tried the tier 11 longbow with the tier 11 arrows, and still wasn't impressed at all. Longbow isn't fast at all, and dishing out only 190s at that speed is just poor. Maybe the tier 10 shortbow is better, but still. So far, it's only usefull at some bosses, but that's merely because of the weakness of the other styles, or some practical (running, or monsters having special attacks when you are closeby) issues.

I think actually the knowledge base is wrong about these wards. I mean, +80 attack bonuses for a shield, that's too good...

On the spear being the best overall: I guess like others have said that it's mostly for solo. I can imagine that a celestial staff (+30% magic attack and hopefully damage too?) would for instance own in teams, same for a primal 2H or maul. You just need someone to back up your weakness.

Ranged however, is just weak IMO. I tried the tier 11 longbow with the tier 11 arrows, and still wasn't impressed at all. Longbow isn't fast at all, and dishing out only 190s at that speed is just poor. Maybe the tier 10 shortbow is better, but still. So far, it's only usefull at some bosses, but that's merely because of the weakness of the other styles, or some practical (running, or monsters having special attacks when you are closeby) issues.

In my experience ranging seems to work just as fine as anything else. And thats with a tier 10 bow and tier 8 arrows.

That being said, everyone seems to go the meele route. I have barely seen any mages, which is really sad, because you really need all three styles to be the best you can. Everyone going meele just doesnt cut it. You're kind of required to have 77 RC to mage though, to be able to make blood runes. I might consider getting it... and get from 87-90 mage while I'm at it.

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

Maging is necessary for the higher level warriors and is useful for a couple of bosses, but that's about it. Still, at least with a high spell and a good staff you can do some serious damage.

The problem with ranging is that they beefed up all the melee weapon strengths and the ranged bow accuracies, but not the ranged strengths. Promethium arrows are weaker than iron bolts -- who thought that one up? It doesn't really matter if ranging is slightly more accurate than meleeing when the damage is less than half. This really needs fixing.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Maging is necessary for the higher level warriors and is useful for a couple of bosses, but that's about it. Still, at least with a high spell and a good staff you can do some serious damage.

The problem with ranging is that they beefed up all the melee weapon strengths and the ranged bow accuracies, but not the ranged strengths. Promethium arrows are weaker than iron bolts -- who thought that one up? It doesn't really matter if ranging is slightly more accurate than meleeing when the damage is less than half. This really needs fixing.

I agree. When I first started dungeoneering, I was stoked to get my hands on a tier 10 bow, only to realize that I was frequently hitting under 100 with tier 8 arrows.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Much of the nifty new gear they put in Dungeoneering is also going to waste because of the thoughtless binding system.

Yesterday when playing with two others I got a primal plateskirt. Okay, it looks neat, but what am I going to do with it? It's cool but has half the stats of a promethium platebody, and I need my weapon. So it goes to waste.

Same with most of the other primal drops and a lot of the other fancy stuff. I like maging but if I want to do it I have to either do it with no gear or waste time on every floor making robes and a staff. It's usually not worth it: when I solo a floor takes 20 minutes, and in groups everyone is in a big hurry.

Who is ever going to use a guardian ward or absorption boots or a fireburst defender for more than 15 minutes?

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Much of the nifty new gear they put in Dungeoneering is also going to waste because of the thoughtless binding system.

Yesterday when playing with two others I got a primal plateskirt. Okay, it looks neat, but what am I going to do with it? It's cool but has half the stats of a promethium platebody, and I need my weapon. So it goes to waste.

Same with most of the other primal drops and a lot of the other fancy stuff. I like maging but if I want to do it I have to either do it with no gear or waste time on every floor making robes and a staff. It's usually not worth it: when I solo a floor takes 20 minutes, and in groups everyone is in a big hurry.

Who is ever going to use a guardian ward or absorption boots or a fireburst defender for more than 15 minutes?

Slaying dinosaurs and making armor out of them is the best thing about Dung IMO =) And how long does it really take to make some gear? Not very long. Can you really tell me you can kill a boss without dying and without any gear?

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

Slaying dinosaurs and making armor out of them is the best thing about Dung IMO =) And how long does it really take to make some gear? Not very long. Can you really tell me you can kill a boss without dying and without any gear?

Many solo'ers do just that.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.