Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tip.it Times 18 April 2010

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Mirror
[ Display Name History ]

Mirror

Use Herring -> Tree

• Members
  • 7,247 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Mirrorforced
Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

Enjoy the articles!
A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

Posted Image

Danqazmlp
[ Display Name History ]

Danqazmlp

To Ass!

• Members
  • 8,492 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Danqazmlp
I fall into the second category for dungeoneering. I think it is incredibly fun as long as you can find another person or two who are competent to run through it with.
Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!
Posted Image
Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Returnofmic
[ Display Name History ]

Returnofmic

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 562 posts
  • RSN:Ts Return
  • Clan:TeamSweden
Regarding the first article, meh.

Saying exactly the same thing over and over, no new information, nothing ground-breaking. Like Danqazlmp stated, what a truly marvellous way to start an article. :thumbdown:

As for the second article, it wasn't bad, I myself fall in the same category as the author.

Posted Image

138 Combat as of Summer 2010 - Retired Summer 2010

dv_trainer
[ Display Name History ]

dv_trainer

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 315 posts
I'm supportive of Dungeoneering, but I can see where other people come from when they dislike it.
Unfortunately, white it was SIX YEARS AGO that Jagex first said that they wanted to do the Random Generated Dungeons BEFORE WOW AND ALL OF THOSE GAMES WHICH ALREADY DO IT EVEN STARTED. O wait, WoW just has dungeons and they're not random. Not even the Elite monsters...
So I don't see the problem. RS was slow but they did it...
Boom! Dead Shot

Asmodeous4
[ Display Name History ]

Asmodeous4

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 437 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Odal
  • Clan:Lady Heinous
I instantly fell in love with Dungeoneering, it is slightly repetitive but I am gaining the occasional level in skills I don't train much, but need to in Dungeoneering, e.g. Smithing, Mining and Herblore. I love the way it combines all the skills and I look forward to the boss at the end, is it going to be a new one, one I've done and hated, or an easy one that will let me get that experience quicker? I don't care for it supposedly being more of a minigame than a skill, for not being as original as they said and for having a higher skill mastery. It is just so much fun to me.

Demoli
[ Display Name History ]

Demoli

TET Hampster

• Members
  • 3,488 posts
  • RSN:Demoliboy2
The first article didnt really latch on me.

The second one was a very good article, and as i've mentioned in my "First Impressions" in my blog, it is too self centered, plus the tokens required for some rewards exceed the lv requirements for a mile.

Neohero1972
[ Display Name History ]

Neohero1972

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 360 posts
  • RSN:Neohero1972
Hi

I really liked the article about Dungeoneering skill/minigame.

I was quite amazed to discover that some players were outraged - personally i haven't had a change to try Dungeoneering yet, but when i read about it i didn't felt and urge to try it, because reading through the description, i too felt that it was basically just a minigame - so why bother !

I'm sure that i will try it (read: be forced to play it), because Jagex will probably change some of the requirements for quest to include a certain level in Dungeoneering in order to start !

But for me, that will be a bridge i'm waiting to cross until i get there.

Moogel
[ Display Name History ]

Moogel

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • RSN:Blogwizard
Reply to REflation: I do agree that the term you used was fitting (the author), but it's taken ~2 years; how can it be re-flation? (although time IS relative).
Reply to Second article: I love the new skill and applaud it for integrating all the other skills so well... The only downside is that getting solo gets boring after a while. Although, I love how it's supposed to be a group-based skill/activity, but you can still solo effectively.
Edit: I agree with Dv_Trainer
This feels exceptional on my under-carriage.

Zepheras
[ Display Name History ]

Zepheras

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 655 posts
First article:
Without all the drama from bots and credit card fraud issues, I guess we wouldn't have experienced this 'reflation', oh well...

Second article:
I dislike Dungeoneering for another reason not stated in the second article; the rewards system and the role of a Dungeoneer.

If you look at the mechanics, the skill is somewhat similar to Slayer when it was first implemented. It makes use of other skills, and unlocks a new content, and you train it in a very specific area (slayer dungeon & tower). Let us just assume that eventually, there might be smaller, but more dangerous and rewarding dungeons, as well as quests that have a Dungeoneering skill requirement to access. I'm fine with that, and I'm also stunned by the gameplay and graphics of all the new areas, bosses, and items. Sooner or later, 99% of the population would have realised that this skill is pretty much the same as Slayer, less boring than mining 10k coal ore, and accept it.

However, what role do Dungeoneers play in the end, compared to Slayers? Slayers provide new slayer equipment obtained to slaying beasts, allowing players without the levels to do so to access some new equipment. I slay, you pay me the gold, I give you the loot. There is a PURPOSE in being a slayer. Now look at a dungeoneer. You gain more levels and increase your access to more dungeons, but once out of Daemonhelm you aren't fulfilling a single role. 100% of the rewards are untradeable; you're not a supplier of anything.

If you say that the rewards should be untradeable because it would otherwise be unfair for players to just buy their way to a chaotic equipment, I can understand that. But what about some sort of small exhaustible resources to let you buy and sell to the market for gold? Special summoning beast pouches, short-term effect scrolls and new exotic potions aren't going to change the game much except filling some gap in the game. If you say that Agility doesn't give anything, remember that agility doesn't involve killing monsters either. When there's dungeons and monsters involved, you can be assured of rewards.

Lastly, the whole token system is what makes me think that this is an activity more than a skill. Can you imagine what Slayer would be like if you trade tokens for abyssal whips instead of getting them as monster loot? It just doesn't feel the same, and I personally don't see the need for this system. The EXP system is rather complicated, but it's there to ensure fairness in the game, as opposed to people fighting over doors and killing monsters to gain direct Dungeoneering EXP.

The second article addressed the short-term opinions of players regarding the skill, but seems to me that the long-term impact has been overlooked.
Posted Image

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

greecl
[ Display Name History ]

greecl

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • RSN:greecl
  • RSN2:rasberry rulm
  • Clan:the dragons, by lite191
[I am madly in love with dungeoneering. I like how it brings people from all walks of runescape, whether they be poor or rich, and sets them at the same level. It incorporates all of the skills, which i love, and forces (in a nice way) you to train them. Its just so....... YEAH!
Greecl: agreed, mister Eskimo steroid wrestler black guy thingy.
Lite191: =] lol
Greecl: this is going on my siggy on tippit.
lite191: actually im a ninja Eskimo wrestler on steroids with a godsword… on fire.
Greecl: eating a Klondike bar. =p
lite191: yes but it melted=[
Greecl: aw…wish you weren’t on fire now, huh?
lite191 :no.
lite191: Still freaking awesome.documents/pictures/new_folder/me
Greecl: or as Greecl would say… Frosted flakes are better!!!
lite191: agreed.

i_m_darkness
[ Display Name History ]

i_m_darkness

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 328 posts
  • RSN:Wardi
  • Clan:The Titans

Instead, it took an hour and thirty minutes and in this time – the players grew more and more angry. About 10 pages in the main thread, the entire community showed their evil side and trolled the thread – hard. ASCII images were spammed, rude messages left in Finnish and players left comments on the failure of Jagex.

Wait wut :mellow:

And that's the reaction you get with all those babies in game :woeh:
Posted Image

Posted Image

nas275
[ Display Name History ]

nas275

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 5 posts
Hi :)

I quite enjoyed the first article, it was a nice summary of the last couple of years in Runescape.

I can't say the same for the second article though. Firstly I just want to say: I love Dungeoneering. It's definitely my favourite update of the last 12 months. However, you've completely ignored the majority of Runescape players when you say it's unpopular; far from it. I spend a huge amount of time on the RSOF (I'm an FMod there) and although there have been many complaints about it, there have been hundreds less than with some of the other updates this year (Strykewyms and Constitution come to mind). Nearly everyone I know absolutely loves it, and the general feeling seems to be one of popularity, not rejection.

In case you needed more proof, the number of people playing Runescape at one time hit the 200k mark today for only the second time in the last year (the other time was during the Bonus XP weekend). This is because of the new skill.

I know many people say it's a minigame, and I can see why. However, I think I know what Jagex were thinking when they made it a skill instead. Runescape revolves around skilling; that is an undeniable fact. However, most skilling is just grinding; people nearly always choose the boring way to play instead of what is fun in the game (as highlighted in last week's Times. By making this a skill (and therefore a core piece of content) they're trying to change the focus of the game from boring grinding to more interesting ways of playing.

Also, it's far too big to be a minigame. No minigame compares to the size of Dungeoneering.

Plus, when you ask what can it offer the game, have you seen the rewards? Like Slayer it offers new weapons, as well as a whole load of other useful items. They're also releasing a new batch of rewards soon, as well as making the prices more realistic. I'd call this the most useful single skill in terms of helping train other skills, apart from perhaps Summoning.

And it completely baffles me when people call it repetitive; compare it to other skills, and it's one of the least repetitive and most varied in the game!

So I love it, and I am certain the people who hate it are in the minority ;)

jettrider
[ Display Name History ]

jettrider

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 818 posts
  • RSN:Jettrider
  • Clan:DGS
Second article missed the solo disconnect/need to go issue, probably the biggest concern for Dungeoneering being a skill.

It was also written too soon. It showed, too - the article misstated a lot of facts and intricacies that would be common knowledge a couple weeks from now.

It did hit one point right though. Let's not judge the skill until Dungeoneering 2 comes out.

2496 Completionist

Golvellius
[ Display Name History ]

Golvellius

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,685 posts
I love dungeoneering.
I think most people like it.
So I would strike that "most people dislike it" nonsense.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Wingless
[ Display Name History ]

Wingless

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • RSN:Nephilim

Instead, it took an hour and thirty minutes and in this time – the players grew more and more angry. About 10 pages in the main thread, the entire community showed their evil side and trolled the thread – hard. ASCII images were spammed, rude messages left in Finnish and players left comments on the failure of Jagex.

Wait wut :mellow:

Yeah. I've got a picture, but it's got some pretty harsh language so I'm not sure if I should post it.

Posted Image

xxshady
[ Display Name History ]

xxshady

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 961 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:xxshady
Second article: A couple thousand ranters on the forums doesn't make "the majority of the Runescape population" hate Dungeoneering. What a joke of an article.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

AgentEarl
[ Display Name History ]

AgentEarl

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • RSN:Agent Earl
i cnt stand dungeoneering. one reason is if my friends arent on i cnt train it that well and i hate playing with random ppl bc they alwys end up being morons. also its just boring and if your gonna give out armour and weapons etc, make them more accessible. i will prob never do the skill again bc its just aweful
Posted Image
Posted Image

ANAHEIM DUCKS

Beaumonde
[ Display Name History ]

Beaumonde

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,186 posts
  • RSN:Beaumonde
As for the economy article, Jagex needs to do something to deflate prices and take gp out of the game, 'nuff said.

And for Dungeoneering, I'm not sure I would agree that all RS players "blatantly reject" it, but I do agree with some of the authors points about it being a tad disappointing.

Aiel
[ Display Name History ]

Aiel

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,104 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Aielman
  • Clan:Collam Daan

i cnt stand dungeoneering. one reason is if my friends arent on i cnt train it that well and i hate playing with random ppl bc they alwys end up being morons. also its just boring and if your gonna give out armour and weapons etc, make them more accessible. i will prob never do the skill again bc its just aweful

I cnt undrstnd ur stof bc iz lyke no vowles hmg wtf.

second article had a few errors, mainly regarding the 120 cap, its just dungeonerring, not all skills as the article implies.

first article is nothing new...

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

xxshady
[ Display Name History ]

xxshady

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 961 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:xxshady

I cnt undrstnd ur stof bc iz lyke no vowles hmg wtf.

second article had a few errors, mainly regarding the 120 cap, its just dungeonerring, not all skills as the article implies.

first article is nothing new...

I love how the majority of Dungeoneering haters don't even know how to properly construct a sentence. Definitely not a coincidence.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users