E3 2010

Demoli

E3  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who had the best press conference?

• Microsoft
    • Electronic Arts
    • Ubisoft
    • Nintendo
    • Sony

Anyone got a link on the zelda trailer?

This conference has been a bit dissapointing. No KH3, no release date for The Last Guardian, no new Naughty Dog game and no Resistance 3. Only surprises were Portal 2 and Twisted Metal.

GOD DAMNIT! Three years now...

There you go

Here is already Floor Demo's videos at GT btw :thumbup:

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the pricing of Move reactions:

"You can get it for 50 us dollars!"

Everyone: "Yeaah, that's not bad at all! *claps*"

"And the movement controller for 30 Dollars"

Everyone: "..."

Speaking fo pricing, any rumours of the 3DS and Kinect pricing?

I heard from a friend that Kinect would be about £50. Although I'm not sure what to think of that.

Also, Portal Gameplay videos are looking so unbelievably sexy, like Wheatley's voice actor (Go Charlie from Valve!)

WorldOfAVR_Part1_Avacyn_ajg5pfqs0fs.png

is it just me or is everything nintendo announced basically rehashes of their franchises?

nintendo fanboys /facepalm

Well yes, but when hasn't it been? They do it because it works, and as someone who has never owned a Nintendo product in my life, the games they showed seriously look like a [cabbage]load of fun!

I need to convince someone I know to buy a Wii.

2009rb9.jpg

is it just me or is everything nintendo announced basically rehashes of their franchises?

No one had a surplus of original content, not just Nintendo. E3 this year was all about the sequel.

Self hating fanboyism /facepalm

hzvjpwS.gif

No one had a surplus of original content, not just Nintendo. E3 this year was all about the sequel.

Self hating fanboyism /facepalm

but i like myself wth

sorry i insulted you nintendo fanboys though :unsure:

Meh Nintendo seemed to just pedal more of their casual crap, as usual. They seem incapable of creating anything new, like shdowfaxpz said they just rehash the same franchises and characters. But hey Nintendo don't need to do anything to please gamers anymore, they can just wallow in their swimming pools full of cash. Sony and Microsoft still need to actually try and sell their product because they're not targetting 8 year olds, so they are putting the effort in by creating new stuff like this motion stuff, even if most people couldn't care less about it.

Sony at least have made plenty of new franchises, like MAG, Motorstorm, LittleBigPlanet, Resistance etc, Nintendo just rely on the same franchises and characters, and know they'll sell just because of people's fanboy attachment to them. They know they don't really need to make good games, just like Activision and MW2, they knew it was going to sell a ton, so who cares about things like a beta?

Saw this thing for Gears of War 3 where you played as the Locust in a kind of reverse horde mode. I'm a pretty casual fan of GoW, I bought the first 2 cheap, but I liked the singleplayers and horde a ton, there was a gameplay demo as well showing that theres now 4 player co-op.

The thing is Nintendo is actually targeting those 21-25 something year olds who grew up with the franchises. They are working off of nostalgia. Even ignoring the games for a moment the 3DS they showed off was more than impressive and was the entire reason I liked their conference (I honestly don't care about a lot of those Wii games save for Zelda/DK)

Now if you want to talk about a company targeting 8 year olds look no further than Microsoft. Their entire Kinect showing was showing off these games that seem like no one above 12 would enjoy. "Oh, yay, I get to pet a fake tiger. Oh, a dancing game. Oh a sports collection, how novel.". The fact that Sony came out there and said stuff like "games like Killzone 3 and Heavy Rain will support the move" helped them a ton. The only really "game" that seems to support Kinect so far is Forza and even then they aren't sure exactly what they are doing with it.

I will say I don't like how smug Nintendo is about their position and honestly after second thought I would probably place Sony's conference above Nintendo's. Nintendo seems to have this attitude of "hah yeah you guys think we couldn't do this but we totally did and we have a ton of money now so [bleep] you."

There is a pretty strong rumor out there of $150 for the Kinect...

sorry i insulted you nintendo fanboys though :unsure:

Oh hun, I haven't owned a nintendo product since '92. You're way off base. lol

I will say I don't like how smug Nintendo is about their position and honestly after second thought I would probably place Sony's conference above Nintendo's. Nintendo seems to have this attitude of "hah yeah you guys think we couldn't do this but we totally did and we have a ton of money now so [bleep] you."

Yup. It was very hard to listen to the presenter during the conference. It was like I was a Nintendo employee listening to a self-help tape, topped off with a encouraging pair of...women at the end. '-'

Now if you want to talk about a company targeting 8 year olds look no further than Microsoft. Their entire Kinect showing was showing off these games that seem like no one above 12 would enjoy.

Microsoft just doesn't get what to do with it yet and they're only implementing it to try to viciously steal customers from Nintendo and Sony. They're going to fail with it unless they get support.

Mass Effect 3 with Kinect support, anyone? God, the thought makes me cry inside.

hzvjpwS.gif

My problem with Nintendo as well. They don't have to try anymore.

The thing is Nintendo is actually targeting those 21-25 something year olds who grew up with the franchises. They are working off of nostalgia

I see this as a problem is that the games aren't standing on their own merit. Its the characters and the brand, similar to how say a horrible pair of shoes will sell just because it says Nike on it.

Now if you want to talk about a company targeting 8 year olds look no further than Microsoft. Their entire Kinect showing was showing off these games that seem like no one above 12 would enjoy.

Yeah Kinect is BS. Even the name sounds pretty gimmicky, it seems a waste of time to me to create a whole new motion system and then just use it on a set of essentially minigames. Kinectimals seems lifted straight from Nintendogs. I don't think much of Move either, but they do seem to be using it in games like RE5 that are already out and could actually be improved with the Move. I only played the demo of Heavy Rain but thats a game that could really benefit from a motion controller, though they have made this new "Heroes on the Move" game especially for it which I think will probably tank pretty badly. Microsoft seem to be moving to be more child friendly on the whole, e.g. with avatars which are pretty much a copy of Wii Miis. I don't think you can blame them too badly for it though, Nintendo have proven its a good business strategy, and they just want to just get their own piece of the action.

I wish they hadn't bothered with this motion technology though; they seem to be charging a lot for it, but if you want motion control that badly you might as well just get a Wii. They should have just written this generation off and come back with properly integrated motion controls in their next set of consoles.

My problem with Nintendo as well. They don't have to try anymore.

The thing is Nintendo is actually targeting those 21-25 something year olds who grew up with the franchises. They are working off of nostalgia

I see this as a problem is that the games aren't standing on their own merit. Its the characters and the brand, similar to how say a horrible pair of shoes will sell just because it says Nike on it.

I personally think the core mario games (SMB1,2,3,World,64(havent played sunshine <_<)galaxy and galaxy 2 are very good,well developed games

although i went kinda :unsure: when they released super mario footballgames <_<

also, the Mario Kart and SSB games are usually well done

2nv5bvl.png
99 Firemaking 30-5-2010 | 99 Fletching 13-7-2014
TET-AU member:6-10-2010 - 21-10-2011

I am terribly dissapointed. I can't watch the Konami conference because I don't have a good enough internet connection to stream it live and G4 isn't covering it. Not only that, but they announced a new Silent Hill game that WASN'T made by Konami Japan.

STOP GIVING IT TO THE USA/EUROPE DIVISION. SILENT HILL 4 AND 5 SUCKED. Dear god, they've murdered the most brilliant horror game in the course of two sequels. :(

hzvjpwS.gif

Sony and Microsoft still need to actually try and sell their product because they're not targetting 8 year olds, so they are putting the effort in by creating new stuff like this motion stuff, even if most people couldn't care less about it.

How the hell is motion control new? They're simply copying Nintendo because they feel that without motion control their systems are lacking something. Which they really aren't; I don't think I know anyone yet who's actually going to buy these. Plus, Nintendo DOES still innovate. They don't do much other than churn out the same franchise over and over, but that's what makes them Nintendo. The philosophy that Nintendo fans like and Nintendo haters dislike Nintendo is the fact that there aren't too many franchises to choose from. Someone like you may like having a new game with new characters and new stories a lot, but Nintendo fans like characters and stories they're already familiar with to be re-invented. It's incredibly fulfilling as a huge Zelda fan to sit down and play a new Zelda game. You already know the characters, so it still feels similar to the first game you played years ago, so no matter how new it is you still get the nostalgia feel. Nintendo also innovates a little bit within the games keeping things new enough to be interesting.

A lot of people may hate this about Nintendo, and just think that they're putting in no effort and milking their mindless Nintendo fans, but have you ever thought that perhaps those features are exactly what some people look for in a game? Think about Super Mario Galaxy; the platforming is done incredibly well, and is really innovative. Hopping from planets to planets and having gravity be one of the key gameplay limits/enhancements is really neat. However, they could have taken the Microsoft/Sony approach and made a new franchise with a new character, probably a rugged space pilot, that crashed his ship and needs to hop along planetoids to find his way back to earth. But they didn't; they took the Nintendo approach and used characters we all already know, so we can relate to the game. Nintendo realizes this, and so they rely on their already established fanbase to bring them money. For a long time, fans had converted over from Nintendo because they didn't like this business style. However new a good amount of them will probably come back, since Nintendo is bringing back some really old franchises that will most likely induce epic nostalgia trips around the world.

And yes, Nintendo is definitely still innovating, just not in franchises. The Wii was already in development (most likely in the very early stages of, "uh, will this even work?") all the way back in 2001, and yet here in 2010 Microsoft and Sony are finally deciding to go ahead and try it themselves. The 3DS is one hell of a device; it uses a parallax barrier to give the illusion of 3D without glasses. The technology has been around for a few years already, but this is the first ever practical application of it. That's not just game innovation, that's engineering innovation as well.

Though I agree Nintendo is a lot more pompous than than they should be. Gets kind of frustrating.

Also, something a lot of people somehow still need to realize: Nintendo fans are not any worse than Sony fans or Microsoft fans. No system is objectively better than another, because they all cater to a specific category of gamers. Saying otherwise will only prove that you're an arrogant bigot.

wl7w9j.png

There is a pretty strong rumor out there of $150 for the Kinect...

Its coming with the the new 360 Slim, which is priced at 299$ for the whole bundle.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

Also, something a lot of people somehow still need to realize: Nintendo fans are not any worse than Sony fans or Microsoft fans. No system is objectively better than another, because they all cater to a specific category of gamers. Saying otherwise will only prove that you're an arrogant bigot.

I didn't realize not being a fanboy of a company isn't an option

I didn't realize not being a fanboy of a company isn't an option

Where did I ever say or imply that? You don't really have to be a fanboy to bash other fanboys anyways.

wl7w9j.png