Why does Jagex make you wait 40 seconds before changing worlds?

tedbundty

I remember I used to run into this problem a lot when I was F2P and looking for empty training spots but not so much these days (so it's not as annoying).

Did Jagex implement this to stop botters?

If so,

Is it really still necessary to make us wait the 40 seconds?

................................[Currently Have - 1300M].................................

............tedsignature.jpg............

My Beginner's Merchanting Guide - My Youtube Channel - My Twitter

Yes and it also slows down resource gathering for rare materials such as rune rocks.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I think the 40 second wait is to transfer data.

I've never heard of this. Do you have a source, or is it just a guess?

My money's on it just being an outmoded measure that they haven't bothered to remove yet.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

I think the 40 second wait is to transfer data.

I've never heard of this. Do you have a source, or is it just a guess?

My money's on it just being an outmoded measure that they haven't bothered to remove yet.

Just a guess. It would make sense if that's why. To go from server A to B.

I remember I used to run into this problem a lot when I was F2P and looking for empty training spots but not so much these days (so it's not as annoying).

If so,

If I remember right it was implemented when jagex made it so you didn't have to go back to the 'worlds' page to switch worlds. I think the main reason was to prevent people from buying up all the store items in each world. That sounds right...i think.

If so,

If I remember right it was implemented when jagex made it so you didn't have to go back to the 'worlds' page to switch worlds. I think the main reason was to prevent people from buying up all the store items in each world. That sounds right...i think.

No it was implemented way before that. Back in 2005, it was still there. (i'd know, i was switching worlds to find somewhere i could mine iron with my lvl 30 mining)

If so,

No it was implemented way before that. Back in 2005, it was still there. (i'd know, i was switching worlds to find somewhere i could mine iron with my lvl 30 mining)

It was before that yeah, but the reason is right: They didn't want bots to quickly hop worlds and buy out all the supplies in the stores after a system update.

I remember when it was added- mainly to stop people hogging the spawns of rune ores and shop stocks- It got on my nerves at first, but ive grown to live with it, as with most things jagex added <_<

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Yes and it also slows down resource gathering for rare materials such as rune rocks.

I know right? Rune Rocks are my new favorite way of making money/training Mining, cuz when I get home from work the only people mining are bots, and its easy to outsmart them.

I remember when it was implemented, and yea it was to stop from people buying up stores.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

The data transfer myth is BS. Your character is stored in a database. It takes milliseconds for your character to be unloaded and reloaded on a new world. All they would have to do is show the loading please wait like you are going into your house, only you will be changing worlds.

The main reasons they do the 40 second limit is to prevent many people syn flooding the servers by constantly switching worlds and to prevent people from getting resources to quickly.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

The data transfer myth is BS. Your character is stored in a database. It takes milliseconds for your character to be unloaded and reloaded on a new world. All they would have to do is show the loading please wait like you are going into your house, only you will be changing worlds.

The main reasons they do the 40 second limit is to prevent many people syn flooding the servers by constantly switching worlds and to prevent people from getting resources to quickly.

This. Data transfer is quick enough nowadays. Even if data transfers are queried they shouldn't take that long (they'll prolly have servers solely dedicated to rs anyway).

Legion.gif

Achieved quest (07/08/2009), woodcutting (28/06/2010), attack (21/07/2010), strength + constitution (07/08/2010), defence (26/09/2010), summoning (13/01/2011), herblore (03/03/2011), cook (31/08/2012), firemaking (01/09/2012), magic (08/09/2012), prayer (16/09/2012) and ranged (29/10/2012) capes.

I remember back when the time wasn't 40 seconds, but 29 seconds. I remember how we would go rune rock pking before the set load time. I could solo rune rocks and cover between half and 2/3rds of all the worlds at heros myself, simply with a timer and a population tablet.

the timer is strictly neccessary.

it implemented was to prevent players using swiftswitch and other switchers from having an unfair advantage - not just bots

i remember tipit didnt allow people to post kill pics with ss because it has been against jgx rules in the past

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

It wasn't there in rsc, at least not that I remembered. I think it's to discourage single players from world hopping and hogging valuable resources such as rune rocks and stuff. Just a guess though. Would make Rune mining way more profitable if you were able to hop from w1-151(?) and just repeat until you basically mined out all the rune ores. 40 seconds isn't that long anyways, I don't mind it.

120dgl.jpg

it implemented was to prevent players using swiftswitch and other switchers from having an unfair advantage - not just bots

This is the correct reason.

Why they still have it in is probably a mixture of everyone elses reasonings.

Lowgravity, I want to be just like you. But...I never will be as 1337 as you. :(

thing was, you could simply bookmark the actual game, and you could instantly hop like everyone else. it wasn't an unfair advantage, people just didn't take the time to read RSOF or a fansite forum to figure it out :P

but sure, jagex may have tried to babysit us in the past as they babysit us now :D

thing was, you could simply bookmark the actual game, and you could instantly hop like everyone else. it wasn't an unfair advantage, people just didn't take the time to read RSOF or a fansite forum to figure it out :P

but sure, jagex may have tried to babysit us in the past as they babysit us now :D

Oh I think I remb that, back when the URL still said like w1.runescape.com or something like that, you just change the w1 to w2 and relog in with no delay. Something like that. Gosh that was a long time ago.

120dgl.jpg

Oh I think I remb that, back when the URL still said like w1.runescape.com or something like that, you just change the w1 to w2 and relog in with no delay. Something like that. Gosh that was a long time ago.

hahaha i just remembered that as well, i had worlds 2, 6 and 12 bookmarked i think (because they were the busiest and hard to get into) :D

Lord_Beloved.png

Probably either a redundant delay to make sure you're fully logged off or a measure to stop people from hopping worlds too fast (though why they want to is a different question).

Guide - How To Prepare For (And profit From) Free Trade & the Return of the Wilderness

rune-tips-banner.jpg

2.17B Total Wealth ~ The Original Grand Exchange Merchant

hahaha i just remembered that as well, i had worlds 2, 6 and 12 bookmarked i think (because they were the busiest and hard to get into) :D

Yeah, nowadays, it's just one page. And those old days were awesome, no more stupid quests for the holiday events.

I'm pretty sure its to slow down the collection of rare resources. If it was removed rune mining would probably be one of the best money makers in the game.

Fabled_Foe.png

26M Crafting XP

Speaking of which, isn't it about time Jagex made it to where ALL the rune rocks respawn time are attached to the player? Ie, it's always there till you mine it (still shows as good if someone else does) and even if you switch worlds it's still out till XX minutes pass. Considering there are a few rocks within teleport distance, the respawn time will need to be balanced.

Yep, turn rune rocks into a profitable diversion and distraction.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Don't steal my rune rocks!

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

I'm pretty sure I read recently in a Q&A thing, or maybe a Development Diary, that it's there to prevent people from hopping from world to world instantly doing things like hogging rune rocks. Like a dozen people or more have mentioned.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.