The death of dungeoneering?

ghjkl

Actually farming does suck.

Its like a job.

You have to mind a clock like your at work.

You can't just pick it up whenever and train the hell out of it till your bored.

Oh and Vinesweeper is like solo dungeoneering but less fun and alot less xp.

Oh and did I mention that its the most expensive skill to train nowadays...

I am perhaps one of 5 people to whom you should never talk about farming cost. I also seriously doubt the statement about cost- prayer, herblore and smithing beat it if you use efficient training methods for all of them, not to mention the deflation of money trough the years. In that post i was mostly pointing to the fact that at the release of farming, most people refused to even try the skill and hated it, but regretted their desicion later and started doing daily herb runs. For the first months of farming, herb seeds were all similarly priced, and people didn't know their worth at all.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the subject of farming, I must have made at least 100 million off farm runs. 95%+ of my farming XP is from herb runs.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

On the subject of farming, I must have made at least 100 million off farm runs. 95%+ of my farming XP is from herb runs.

Same here. Farming is easily one of the best and most successful skills.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Care to post any numbers on soloing xp? on average teams with average players and average waiting time for teams, you barely reach 35k xp an hour, and as far as i've seen, soloing C6 is around 27k h max(no additional things slowing you down). Ofcource, if you had a very efficient team, ~55k xp/h trough all floors is possible, but that would mean extreme organisation skills. Thus for the average player, it doesn't matter if he solos or teams, but he can still gain more xp if he does the higher floors large(for which teams are much easier to find).

Actually, I agree that for the lower floors there isn't much difference because of the overhead and hassles. In fact, in my guide (see sig) I recommend that players who don't like teams solo floors 1-25 or 1-30 on complexity 1 to get them over with quickly. But that assumes using teams for the larger floors. Without that, your XP rate suffers dramatically.

Soloing is awful. It's dull, boring, and lonely. And doing teams that you don't know is far too random and is likely to infuriate you to the point of punching kittens in the face.

It's not my favorite skill but it's certainly no worse than several other skills.

Its like a job.

You have to mind a clock like your at work.

No, you don't. You can just do a run when you log in after it's been a while. There's no need to try to be super-optimal about it.

Oh and did I mention that its the most expensive skill to train nowadays...

Again, only if you're in a big hurry. If you're smart about it, Farming is one of the most profitable skills.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

I was done with Dungeoneering after day 1 unfortunately. I was all hyped up for the new skill, then when I basically saw "team" and "dungeons" in the new skill update I knew it was not for me, as I can't multi-task, and I'm certainly not good in team situations (I.E. Godwars, anything boss-related).

I think it has the potential to be an 'ok' skill, if Jagex play their cards right. For example, Jagex could make skill-based dungeons like a slayer-dung dungeon. A requirement of, say, 40 dung and 60 slayer. It could work like the Daemonheim dungeon, but instead all monsters would be slayer-monsters only. You could make slayer gear from the drops, and buy slayer tools needed to kill specific monsters to get rooms completed. The end could be a slayer boss. When completed, outside the dungeon you would be rewarded with an item specific to that skill. These skill dungeons would be outside of daemonheim, and the rewards you get you could keep. They could range from new slayer gear to slayer tomes (that give slayer experience), the list is endless.

Some skills you think might not work for dungeons, like Farming for example, but where there's a skill, there's a way. A farming dungeon could require you to farm specific vine traps to slowly kill monsters. Other plants that could kill could include the venus fly trap for example. This way level 3's could solo dungeons without the worry of relying on other players to deal damage.

I certainly think Dungeoneering has potential, we will have to see what dung batch 2 brings us, it is my only hope for now. If there is nothing that will encourage or inspire me to train the skill further, I don't think I will ever get it to 99, or indeed 120 o_O

2vuhgcn.png

c6 solo should not take more than 10min, unless you punch all the monsters, mine all rocks, smith everything, rc, fish all spots, etc.

I would challenge that statement as complete and utter tosh!

Are you one of those who runs around just opening doors? It can take several minutes to finish the boss.

My CB level is 20 higher than yours and you say you can do it 70 minutes quicker. Do me a favour, dont post nonsense.

Rozanante.png

Rozanante.png

Still the proud owner of Quest Cape since 8th December 2007

All skills used to be 70 or higher. (Dang you Dungeoneering. Oh wait, it's not a skill...)

Drops: Whips 8, Black Mask 8, D/Skirt 1, D/Spear 1, D/Shield Left Half 1, D/Boots 12, G/Maul 4, Range Ammy 1, Hexcrest 1.

just a side note, there are currently 2 people who are #1 at dungeoneering lol. prob highscores glitch

2 people in overall #1 too lol

Nukearcher.gif

Ranged 101/99, Str 105/99, Att 105/99, Hp 106/99, Def 100/70, Magic 102/99

I haven't Dung'd in over a week now. However it was not due to lack of interest, but due to lack of time/wanting to get 99 slayer. The way I see it, Dungeon is a pretty fast skill. If people can hit 20m+ xp in a little over a month, it is not at all a difficult skill. Batch 2 can only make the xp/hr rate faster. In that case, instead of spending my time getting 99/100 Dung depending on my mood, I rather spend the time finishing up some other goals such as getting Slayer up and perhaps getting a few more claws solos at TDs.

120dgl.jpg

c6 solo should not take more than 10min, unless you punch all the monsters, mine all rocks, smith everything, rc, fish all spots, etc.

Are you one of those who runs around just opening doors? It can take several minutes to finish the boss.

My CB level is 20 higher than yours and you say you can do it 70 minutes quicker. Do me a favour, dont post nonsense.

There's a natural human tendency to exaggerate how much time it takes to do things, biased towards whether the person feels they can do it quickly or slowly. Most people notice more the attempts that support their theories and less the ones that do not. They then extrapolate these "perfect" or "worst case" examples and claim them to be averages. This is how you get some people saying it takes 10 minutes to do a C6 solo dungeon (which is false) and some saying it takes 90 minutes (also false).

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

he is right tho, my record solo is 3:56 but i average 6-8 minutes if i openevery room, i do about 5 mins if i just kill boss but thats only about 2.5k xp, getting every room gets me about 4k xp

a_final_name.png

i average 6-8 minutes

No, you don't. At least, not on a complexity 6 dungeon where you are trying to do the dungeon properly (not skipping rooms or skipping every monster.) There are bosses that can take close to 5 minutes by themselves to kill solo. Even some of the puzzles can add 2-3 minutes to a solo floor. And then add to that killing regular monsters, picking up and running keys around, ensuring you have enough food for the boss, etc.

I've been through this numerous times with people, and when they actually stop and time themselves, they realize they are not getting the numbers they think they are.

signew2.png

I'm going to laugh at the people waiting for batch 2 when new floors do come out, yet the experience rate isn't that much faster, or even slower, then experience rates currently.

Its pretty much certain that XP rates are going to increase alot with bath 2.

Jagex arent going to put a level cap of 120 on something thats has xp/h the same as agility.

New higher floors are going to hold much more XP rewards.

The_Diamond.png

1593th to 99 Farming - July 08.

I just want to make the contribution that it usually takes me about 30 mins to solo a dungeon. That's... y'know... actually doing stuff like making armour and killing monsters.

I think if you forget about the xp rates and all that crap, grab a bunch of friends, and play for fun, Dungeoneering quickly becomes a great skill.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I'm going to laugh at the people waiting for batch 2 when new floors do come out, yet the experience rate isn't that much faster, or even slower, then experience rates currently.

It' can't be any slower. Thinking that it could is just stupid(all the existing floors are still there and you will not have to touch any new stuff). Also, more than likely, about 99%, the top end experiance will be much higher. Adding floors means more prestige- and as there is atleast 24 new floors coming, the experiance is bound to get much higher. Also- the experiance jump you initally get with batch 2 totally depends on your level- if you stopped at 70, you'd get exactly the same xp moving forward, if you stopped at 99, you can easily do the 15 floors c1 solo and get 3x the xp from there on.

Also 8 min average c6 solo is totally possible, you just have to be efficient- only do guardian doors, no skilling, and kill the boss in the best way possible. Also, you have to be smart about using food, not do any 100+ req doors and pray in a smart way, use soulsplit.

You can average 8 minutes if you are rushing, sure. This also means you give up a lot of XP, though.

And yes, since XP is based on prestige, there is no logical reason to believe XP rates won't go up significantly with the second batch.

signew2.png

i average 6-8 minutes

No, you don't. At least, not on a complexity 6 dungeon where you are trying to do the dungeon properly (not skipping rooms or skipping every monster.) There are bosses that can take close to 5 minutes by themselves to kill solo. Even some of the puzzles can add 2-3 minutes to a solo floor. And then add to that killing regular monsters, picking up and running keys around, ensuring you have enough food for the boss, etc.

I've been through this numerous times with people, and when they actually stop and time themselves, they realize they are not getting the numbers they think they are.

Using standard "rush" techniques from 5:3, which is to open every door and ignore groups of monsters you don't have to kill (which includes food purposes), I average about 10-12 minutes a game. That factors in mild distractions, mistakes, deaths, puzzles, and other things I seem quite prone to. I've gone faster, but not consistently. I haven't done too many trials, as I don't solo often, but so far this seems about what I'm getting.

And it 's impractical to kill all the monsters. It takes time that could be better off completing the dungeon, and the level bonus isn't nearly strong enough to compensate for the lost time. I'd much rather complete a dungeon with 4k experience (on the lower floors) in 10 minutes than complete it with 4.7k experience in 15 minutes. But, it's your choice.

And Qeltar, don't divide your guide up into so many little sections. It's a pain clicking and searching all the time for the relevant article.

You can average 8 minutes if you are rushing, sure. This also means you give up a lot of XP, though.

And yes, since XP is based on prestige, there is no logical reason to believe XP rates won't go up significantly with the second batch.

Alot of xp? C6 prstige alone is around 6.5k and the max you can lose on level mod(only thing that effects rushing vs. killing all) is around 17%, 10% on average, meaning that if the normal xp averages to about 5k(a mild guess) rushing gives you 500 xp per dungeon less, 10%. that's the differance between 10 and 11 minutes.

Alot of xp? C6 prstige alone is around 6.5k and the max you can lose on level mod(only thing that effects rushing vs. killing all) is around 17%, 10% on average, meaning that if the normal xp averages to about 5k(a mild guess) rushing gives you 500 xp per dungeon less, 10%. that's the differance between 10 and 11 minutes.

I'll do some more testing at some point. But I think you are underestimating the impact of rushing a dungeon. It's not just the modifiers that get knocked down -- the base and prestige XP are also affected.

And if you're rushing the high-numbered floors, then that means you are likely also rushing the low-numbered floors. You have to average all of that together, and the net result is going to be a rather pitiful XP rate. The only effective way to do this skill without teaming all floors is to solo-rush the low floors and then either do teams for the high-numbered floors, or attempt to maximize XP per floor when soloing. Otherwise, you're mostly spinning your wheels.

signew2.png

There's a natural human tendency to exaggerate how much time it takes to do things, biased towards whether the person feels they can do it quickly or slowly. Most people notice more the attempts that support their theories and less the ones that do not. They then extrapolate these "perfect" or "worst case" examples and claim them to be averages. This is how you get some people saying it takes 10 minutes to do a C6 solo dungeon (which is false) and some saying it takes 90 minutes (also false).

Thanks for the lecture on human psychology - NOT -

Unfortunately for you and your theories, my natural tendancy is not to exaggerate. I can assure you, and please don't call me a liar again, :shame: that it took me 90 minutes the other night to do one floor at C6. Granted I made a few arrows, smithed a plate and a skirt and cooked fish for the final battle but 90 minutes on the clock. I know this because I had to move my car before my significant other came back at 9pm and I logged in just before 7:30pm. My quickest time is 65 minutes and as I mentioned I tend to kill everything and open all doors within my skill level.

Of course my original point was the wish for saved progress to be added into batch 2 of updates. As I said, there's nothing more annoying than getting AFK only to find you're back outside. I can't see that wish coming to fruition unfortunately. :-|

Rozanante.png

Rozanante.png

Still the proud owner of Quest Cape since 8th December 2007

All skills used to be 70 or higher. (Dang you Dungeoneering. Oh wait, it's not a skill...)

Drops: Whips 8, Black Mask 8, D/Skirt 1, D/Spear 1, D/Shield Left Half 1, D/Boots 12, G/Maul 4, Range Ammy 1, Hexcrest 1.

Rosanante1, I wasn't calling you a "liar" any more than you were calling Anim7 a liar when you challenged his/her claim.

It may take you 60+ minutes to clear a solo dungeon. I dunno what you're doing for all that time -- that averages out to about 5 minutes *per room*. Still, that is not even remotely representative of the time actually required by most players.

signew2.png

It takes me on average 30 minutes to do a 2:2 medium sized dungeon *soloing* (with a lvl 3 friend that likes to AFK).

I clear out everything too - all the rooms I can do, kill all the monsters. Its just my style of play.

When I start a dungeon, I ALWAYS take everything off the table, and sell those items until I get ~4500 gp (saving rune essence, then tier 5 items down). I then ALWAYS buy a tier 3 hatchet, pickaxe, a hammer, a tinderbox, a rod and feathers. I also ALWAYS make 10 gatestone spells (10x ess into laws, 5x ess into cosmics, 3x ess into earth, 2x ess into airs).

I use the remaining ess to craft death runes and air runes - I make sure to mage anything in melee armour.

When I kill monsters, I ALWAYS ignore drops other than food. I ALWAYS eat to full HP when moving from room to room, and I like to try and keep my inv filled with food.

Other than being F2P partying with a leech, I'm not sure why it takes people that much more time than me. I don't see how it could take anyone more than 20 minutes to complete a small dungeon, unless they're *completely* clearing it out, exhausting all resources.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪