The death of dungeoneering?

ghjkl

Today, I noticed something while finding a team in world 117. There are less and less 130+ people, and less and less people overall, and I feel that that has been declining since 2 weeks ago. I'm starting to think that most people that were serious about getting chaotic weapons already got it, and that most of the people that are left don't seem very serious at all. It might be just me, but the teams I have been getting on lately seem worse, taking an average of over an hour for a large floor, and don't get me started on the rushes. It seems that interest in dungeoneering has fallen drastically.

Is it because everyone is done with it? After receiving your chaotic weapon or shield of choice, it seems the only thing dungeoneering has to offer is total levels or total experience, as I believe Jagex did a poor job finishing the content. Batch 2 will make this problem worse IMO. Even though interest will spike up again, it will supposedly leave us with floors all the way to 99 or 120. This would mean that it would be harder to find a team. Today, after getting 69, most people rush 1-30 then do large dungeons on 31-35, however that will be completely different with batch 2. More floors means that this general rule will not apply. People will most likely do large floors on the last 5 floors they can do, but this can range anywhere from 30 to 49, meaning much more floors for less people and leading to it getting harder to find a team.

Will batch 2 put the nail in the coffin for dungeoneering, or will it make it more popular and easier to find a team. Considering soloing is pitiful exp compared to 5 manning, how will it affect exp gain in the future?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped after getting 80, which was a few weeks ago. I see no point in grinding away with slow exp rates when batch 2 will make things much faster. Plus I already got my rapier, so I see no point in going any further for now. I don't care about any of the other rewards.

It was bound to decline because the only reason people do it is because Jagex forces them too to get the rewards.

arcane_stew.png

Hypocrite. You tell others to be nice then attempt to murder people. Nice going, you just failed life.

Well, batch 2 will be cool as it brings us all sorts of treats that even affect the outside world:

- Mage pray reflecting the range one. Or the other way around, which ever is missing. (Hybrids will go crazy on this.)

- Ability to buy stuff that you get in the game. As in, to the dungeon.

- The new bosses and all that.

- Solo mediums.

- Unconfirmed rumours about further price reduction. [No source has confirmed that.]

There was other stuff but I forgot what it was. :D

As for the point of your topic, when the batch 2 comes out it will definately raise interest again but not as much as it was on the launch and days following it. The gains for those who have played it decently far are great of course and I for sure am keeping my tokens tightly close to me until it comes out. To a lot of people dungeoneering has had a weird impact. I get tired of doing it at times and then think of doing something else... Then when I'm fishing or something I think to myself "I think I'll go train dungeoneering a bit". :-D

A little birdie sang that it would be next week if all goes well, who knows. It was initially suppose to be out on may but stuff happens.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either

a fool or a coward.

Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law

is both.

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant:

"If I live, I will kill you, If I Die, you are forgiven."

Such is the Rule of Honor.

I'm hoping Jagex implements a system that finds teammates for you. Looking for someone who can do floors 30+ in F2P is such a p.i.t.a.

Doing the lower levels with people is the only thing that keeps me going, but at 2k a pop, it starts to get boring after 3-4 smalls.

Also a boner-killer, doing larges with people who don't speak English... >.<

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

I think people finally figured out that it takes 24+ hours of pure dungeoneering AFTER level 69 to get to the 2 Mil exp mark. The average player can't stand to get it when they find out that they have to be active to get the 50k exp/hr average. And that is only with 5:5 Large dungeons or 5:3 small rush dungeons. Oh, and you need to know how to do the skill, what is weak to what, and what the bosses do. Combine time with non-afk-ability, non-solo, and actual effort and skill needed and you will find it to be a deal breaker for a good amount of people. The average user isn't ready for an end-game-type activity, so that factors in as well.

I also think that people would have gotten a few things along the way, so that 24+ AFTER 69 will likely be 34+ to get a chaotic item. The reason I say "AFTER 69" is because the exp rates are far slower before.

It's no wonder this is happening.

EDIT: Completely forgot to meantion the time it takes to complete a Dungeon. Some people don't have an hour (or more, if you are in a team of morons) to spend.

The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

bc8ebae3b0.png

Proud of who I am and what I am.

Like has been said, many people stop at around 69 or when they get the items they want the most, because the exp rates will be better once batch 2 is released.

Anyone going for 120 now might get it before others, but they are getting it slower then others will in a month/few months once batch 2 is released with floors up to 60. (Which might even mean double the amount of exp we are currently getting).

And thus is the crucial flaw in this "skill." Either Jagex really are daft or they don't give a crap because if they actually understood their player-base, they would've realized that Dungeoneering would eventually suffer the same fate as Barbarian Assault and Mobilizing Armies. This skill has no tangible rewards outside of what you buy with tokens, so naturally, once most people get their first chaotic item, they abandon the skill. The same thing happened with the Fighter Torso and the Imbued Rings. Once the majority of people got the items they set out for, they quit, leaving behind only chaff. <_<

td2sig.jpg

And thus is the crucial flaw in this "skill." Either Jagex really are daft or they don't give a crap because if they actually understood their player-base, they would've realized that Dungeoneering would eventually suffer the same fate as Barbarian Assault and Mobilizing Armies. This skill has no tangible rewards outside of what you buy with tokens, so naturally, once most people get their first chaotic item, they abandon the skill. The same thing happened with the Fighter Torso and the Imbued Rings. Once the majority of people got the items they set out for, they quit, leaving behind only chaff. <_<

I agree with this, but at least Dungeoneering has an element of "fun" to it which still makes it do-able after you get a reward, even if it is just for some lulz with your friends.

The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

bc8ebae3b0.png

I don't enjoy it. I can stand getting 300 MA rank because I can at least AFK it for the most part. I can't stand raiding because its too damn boring, repetitive, the drop from the boss is always useless now that I have stuff bound, etc etc etc.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Guest TrixStar

Im definitely hating that I can't get max exp per hour on my own. That and the time commitment per floor are frustrating. Ill slog through it like the rest though.

i think batch 2 will bring new life to the skill, but hey i solo just fine and on weekends can do large games with friends, you dont necessaarily have to do it with 4 total strangesr, just get a group of friends

i would actualy like it if there were rewards that took over 1m tokens to get, that would be great motivation

as for the floor stsyem, in the early chaotic days there were people on f35 withing a week, even tho they were ranked about 1000 they had no prob finding teams, f15s had no prob finding teams

with everyone new and spread out teams were still easy to get

i do think an official world is needed, and to have portals similar to pc, just enter a floor and have 5 man lvl groups

3-40

41-70

71-100

100-130

130+

for all floors then prob solved if they get a packed official world

a_final_name.png

Every time a new skill comes out everyone tries it. Then it becomes like any other skill, people train it on and off. Nothing is "dying"

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, the majority of Runescape's player base isn't used to a skill that you must participate in. It's not AFK, and you cannot leave the computer for hours because of the way it is set up. Not to mention the rewards are nearly useless, and once you've gotten the rewards you have beat the mini-game, so the only reason to continue to play it is for enjoyment. However, because most people would rather do something productive with their time rather than wasting hours getting slow XP they decide to use their time on other parts of the game.

Basically, Dungeoneering is like Agility. It's repetitive with little rewards and is slow to train. The people who want to level it up for a goal or for bragging rights will, however the people who would rather spend their time doing something more productive will find something more productive to do.

Stellactic.gif

Stopped at 70.

I like it, but it seems like a waste to do it now when they are adding like the other half of the skill soon.

So its seems your in danger of doing things now and 2 months down the road you could have done them in 1/2 the time or even less.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

the similar demise of summoning was predicted before batch 2 was released (nothing higher than bunyip was useful). let's wait until the whole skill is released, and then some before we pass judgement? does that sound reasonable?

I like dungeoneering. my computer died, so i'm not dunging atm. that's really the only reason.

let's wait until the whole skill is released, and then some before we pass judgement? does that sound reasonable?

No. Today is Tuesday and this is a fan site.

bc8ebae3b0.png

On a slightly related note, I'm wondering - how exactly do the mechanics of the "random" rooms work? Do they just throw you on a random floor, with a random size and a random bunch of people, or do they actually put you on a floor you haven't yet completed?

a70c7.png

Well, the majority of Runescape's player base isn't used to a skill that you must participate in. It's not AFK, and you cannot leave the computer for hours because of the way it is set up. Not to mention the rewards are nearly useless, and once you've gotten the rewards you have beat the mini-game, so the only reason to continue to play it is for enjoyment. However, because most people would rather do something productive with their time rather than wasting hours getting slow XP they decide to use their time on other parts of the game.

Basically, Dungeoneering is like Agility. It's repetitive with little rewards and is slow to train. The people who want to level it up for a goal or for bragging rights will, however the people who would rather spend their time doing something more productive will find something more productive to do.

Your opinions smell like generic 12 year old RSOF ranter.

Dungeoneering requires actual input unlike other skills. How is it like Agility then? I love how your idea of a good skill is one that is fast exp, easily AFK's, and earns you money. Basically, you like playing a spreadsheet, not a video game.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I've noticed the same too,

dungeoneering relys on other players in order to get the highest EXP possible......

and now that many people are at different levels[soon to be more floors]

I feel that more people will just solo instead of doing groups.

like some other users said before, i think it would be legit to have a world for it.

But i doubt that would occur because Dungeoneering is a skill, i highly doubt Jagex will assign a world for dungeoneering.

but hopefully jagex can make dungeoneering to live up the hype

and perhaps make it more useful outside of runescape to make it more appealing.

The rewards aren't appealing or worth the waste of time to get the useful ones and so far it has no impact on the rest of runescape at all. It's alright if you can do it with some friends, but until it has some bearing outside of a peninsula on the edge of the wildy I'm fine with going back to tears to get it up.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots