Magic Progress (F2P)

Naruto_1001

Hello Tip.it!

In this thread we're going to look at how magic has changed on f2p servers over the years by looking at outfits. This is going back to the very first outfit I used to the latest changes Dungeoneering made to it. I hope some of you find it interesting, because i've spend a 40k Dungeoneering tokens on the Gravite Staff! :P

magic_progress-0.png

This is the very first outfit that I can remember. After going naked for a while this must have been a huge improvement ;) The blue skirt doesn't give any advantage, it just looks good together with the rest. It was also possible to use the black outfit, however the black hat gave 1 magic bonus less and was therefor less used.

magic_progress-1.pngmagic_progress-2.png

I think about 4.5-5 years ago people figured out the monk robe added some prayer bonus without taking any other bonus away. 4-4.5 years ago also the Def Mage was born. The above images are samples of what was most used before the mini-game Fist of Guthix was introduced. The good old wildy period :)

magic_progress-3.pngmagic_progress-4.png

Since Fist of Guthix came out a lot has changed. Free to play gained access to the Combat and Druidic set, of which the Druidic set is shown above. Combat robes has the ability to spare some of your runes while Druidic makes the chance on succesfully binding someone grow. During wars most people prefer Druidic these days, because saving money isn't going to make you win a war. On the other side you see the Runecrafter robe, which was introduced with the Great Orb Project mini-game. Some players prefer this set as it doesn't degrade. Both images include the air talisman staff. Reason that I wear this in both images isn't because it's the best staff there is, but definitly a good option :)

magic_progress-5.png

This includes the latest changes made to the Magic outfit. Dugeoneering added some new mage items to the game. The necklace adds some more magic bonus + a bonus to your magic damage, definitly a good choice these days for mages. The Tome of frost gives you some more magic defence + unlimited water runes, useful while binding. The Gravite staff costs a lot, but does add a bonus to your magic damage, I would suggest to use this only for clan wars.

magic_progress-0.pngmagic_progress-5.png

As you can see a lot has changed over the years, even for us F2Pers. I hope you enjoyed reading this thread.

Kind regards,

Naruto 1001

Thanks man, That was a good read, I remember the days of the first pic.

Thing is, tome and gravite staff is 83k tokens not something you want to try to get again

pikatips001.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips002.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips003.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips004.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips005.png1,000 F2P Total Level Reached 10/8/10 !

[hide=Guides]Magic & Summoning Profit Spreadsheets! *UPDATES EVERY HOUR* (includes: High alch, Superheat, and Enchanting)

4 BETTER alternatives to flesh crawlers[/hide]

WOT WOT!

☉.☉☂

"On the other side you see the Runecrafter robe, which was introduced with the Fist of Guthix mini-game."

It's probably just a typo but Runecrafter robes were introduced with the Great Orb Project, not with FOG :P

Despite that the magic attack in FTP has doubled, it's still awful and it will stay this way until FTPers get access to Snare, Entangle and wave spells. The gravite staff, arcane pulse necklace and wizard's mind bomb only increased fire blast from 160 to 200.

Thanks for this read. :) Some defense bonuses were lost but for upping the attack, I think it's worth it.

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

WTF?!

the best mage outfit a few years back vs today.

difrence?

twice mage accuracy, half melee defence...

stoped saveing air runes and started saveing water runes...

and with the monk robe, 4 less prayer.

man f2p mage is messed up!

ontopic, nice short thread. an insightfull look in to the history of f2p mage from the users point of vew. although not too much descusion value.

mlpfim20percentcoolersi.jpg

I'm a Brony and proud of it!

Heh, I remember the days running around with blue wizard robes.

That sure was a nice read lol.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Sure magic is more accurate now, but is still far from strong in F2P 1v1s. For a good 6 months when i took a break from mems i did nothing but f2p mage. In clans, I dominated, racking in kills and binds helped the team majorly. But in 1v1s? Hopeless. Only an idiot meleer, or one with an incredible amount of respect, is going to sit there and allow themselves to be binded every few seconds, rendering them useless. And even fewer are going to leave their armor on; most will simply take off the armor and become a pain in the [wagon] to hit. I don't think f2p mages will ever be truly balanced in PVP. And even if you do manage to ring in a meleer near death, good luck finishing him off with a max hit of 16. 2h switches are annoying because you have to turn off autocast to make them work, and if you're going to switch to a 2h you might as well be ranging or scimmying for more effective KO potential.

At their current state mages are crucial to clans but a waste of time in 1v1s. If we mages become balanced in 1v1s, we will become insanity in clans. I highly doubt Jagex has a good compromise planned that balances the strength of mages in f2p, and maging will always be the "clan onky" pking option.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Magic still needs mystic, snare, magic potions and wave spells and It'd be good IMO (maybe overpowered tbh but it supposed to beat melee anyway).

I beat a level 126 in a no food DM in clan wars before tank maging, although he did narrowly beat me most of the time. :P

imagangster.png

Really good effort there with the gravite staff :thumbsup:

F2P mage Armour has always been a hot topic on the suggestions forums, and I always enjoyed reading about people's ideas.

In truth jagex hasn't really changed the F2P set-up, as FoG have the rather annoying recharge rates. The only good addition to the set up has been the 'Tome of Frost' and the 'Arcane' neck lasses introduced with dungeoneering......Which tbh I won't be getting. :mellow:

Interesting too see the progress over the past few years though :^_^: :rolleyes:

Cheap_Mark.png

Cheap Mark - Going for 1050 Total

Although I admit that I am a melleer myself, I do like seeing the whole combat triangle reballanced. I do like fair play.

La Vallett1

A.k.a. "Nostalgic Vallett"

What's been said must be done.