Guide to efficient Frost dragon slaying.

xpx

You said that when ranging you should focus more on luring as the cannon will get you more kills than your weapon right? I don't think that void affects the cannon at all, so shouldn't you be wearing armadyl instead to increase the cannon's accuracy? Since the cannon brings in more kills than a hand cannon or c'bow, wouldn't you prioritize the dwarf cannon's effectiveness more than increasing the hand cannon's DPS?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You said that when ranging you should focus more on luring as the cannon will get you more kills than your weapon right? I don't think that void affects the cannon at all, so shouldn't you be wearing armadyl instead to increase the cannon's accuracy? Since the cannon brings in more kills than a hand cannon or c'bow, wouldn't you prioritize the dwarf cannon's effectiveness more than increasing the hand cannon's DPS?

If the increase in the cannons accuracy with armadyl compared to void would be significant enough, yes, you should. However, since i've tested this, void is clearly better.

Oh, I didn't know it used a combat turn.

Something else: I think you messed up east and west in your luring section.

Thanks, i'll look right into it. Any help on making the guide as good as possible is greatly appreciated.

Edit: Looks correct to me if you look at it the same way as winds- east winds are defined as winds blowing from east to west.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Hmm, I looked into it more now and:

run to the eastern most point or behind the rock(explained later) to get them off you or closer to you

Shouldn't it be western most point?

north-eastern rock (explained in the southern lure)

Shouldn't it be north-western?

So lets say i have Vooid deflector(sorry if this question has been brought up before) But lets say i don't use hand cannon and i use Crossbow of whatever. Would i replace the void top with armadyl? or does Unholy book beat Deflector+Armadyl chest? Or is the prayer bonus from the unholy book make a difference?

This is exactly why i posted this calculation:

Method	                        Prayer  Cost
   Hand Cannon (Hand Cannon Shot)  	20%	-497
   Hand Cannon (Hand Cannon Shot)  	15%	-568
   Dragon Darts                    	20%	-631
   Magic Shortbow (Rune Arrows)	20%	-641
   Toktz-xil-ul                    	20%	-657
   Rune Crossbow (Runite Bolts)    	20%	-675
   Dragon Darts                    	15%	-695
   Rune Crossbow (Runite Bolts)    	15%	-711
   Karils Crossbow                	20%	-724
   Chaotic Crossbow (Runite Bolts)	20%	-729
   Rune Crossbow (Broad Bolts)    	20%	-740
   Toktz-xil-ul                    	15%	-756
   Chaotic Crossbow (Runite Bolts)	15%	-764
   Rune Crossbow (Broad Bolts)    	15%	-785
   Karils Crossbow                	15%	-785
   Chaotic Crossbow (Broad Bolts)  	20%	-799
   Rune Knife                      	20%	-828
   Chaotic Crossbow (Broad Bolts)  	15%	-841
   Rune Knife                      	15%	-901
   Magic Shortbow (Zamorak Arrows)	20%	-958

As said in the guide, void(deflector)>void(normal)>max range attack.

The methods that i suggest go in this order:

Hand cannon > rune crossbow(runite bolts) > Magic shortbow(rune arrows)

Do you have an approximate firemaking level when it becomes better to use a crossbow? Are the explosion rates even known?

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

No, but firemaking is an easy enough skill to assume level 99. I'm using the value of 1 cannon per 1.6k shots right now, but this is with 99 firemaking.

Obviously i have no intent on testing the explosion rates at lower levels(for obvious reasons), but if anyone has any information on it, i'd be happy if they shared it with me.

Hmm, I looked into it more now and:

run to the eastern most point or behind the rock(explained later) to get them off you or closer to you

Shouldn't it be western most point?

north-eastern rock (explained in the southern lure)

Shouldn't it be north-western?

Yeah, sorry for my ignorance.

Also, with the new void quest out(and me being more or less inactive and needing to do 3 quests for it), would anyone be able to post a picture of the hand cannon setup with elite void top/bottom.

It adds +4 Prayer to top and legs, so a total of +8 prayer, not sure about defensive stats.

Pretty cool, since it's very hard to get much prayer bonuses in a void setup. Would probably benefit range more than melee, I suppose

very nice guide.

One question though

How many more kills would you say a hand cannon gets you over broad bolts?

They're undoubtably the best weapon, but the up to 500k gp/hour price tag (for 1200 shots per hour, which u wont be getting at frosties)

seems a bit steep.

I was honestly very surprised to see that crossbows and handcannons have the same weapon speed.

Makes me question why handcannons aren't more commonly used, just for everything ranged in general.

I suppose not too many people have high firemaking.

you haven't changed a tidbit in the killing and cannoning section about multiple dragons being able to attack you at the same time since the update btw

how confident are you in the 1/1600 number?

i just lost 4 hand cannons in 2000 shots at 97 fm

edit: now 7 handcannons in ~3500 shots at 97 fm >_<

are you SURE 1600 is accurate!

Naaxi.png

Is it possible to tank their melee and magic attack flashing ss/turm the whole trip? I am able to with higher leveled dragons in Bandos (steels and blacks), but I think the magic attack might drain more LP than what SS can heal.

Also, how many frosties would I have to kill to justify getting berserker (i) or archer (i)?

Is it possible to tank their melee and magic attack flashing ss/turm the whole trip? I am able to with higher leveled dragons in Bandos (steels and blacks), but I think the magic attack might drain more LP than what SS can heal.

Also, how many frosties would I have to kill to justify getting berserker (i) or archer (i)?

I'm not going to go into detail, but killing without protect/deflect magic is pointless. SS drains more prayer points anyway.

If you are getting the rings just for frost dragons, you'd have to go well above 200m xp in those skills to be justified.(i don't have them)

Grimy, sorry for not answering yet, but i don't really have much information to give you. That chart was done using the DPS numbers from your calc, nothing to do with actual reality. I am not at all certain about the 1/1600 figure, i've only used it for around 10 hours(in which i lost 4 cannons). There isn't any information on it. I would consider adding some data on it if you got 99 fm before testing this(97 fm really isn't a level at which this should be tested). I'm currently not a member and am too busy in real life to deal with updating or improving the guide right now, but i'm here to answer questions if i can give a meaningful reply.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, xpx, I was wondering if you could provide inventory's for players (Like myself) without 95 prayer or extremes/super antifires?

Both super antifires and extreme potions work just like normal versions of those potions- you'll be completely protected from the dragons fire with normal antifires and protect/deflect magic prayer. As for meleeing without SS/turm, i really wouldn't recommend it as it would either require bringing a load of food and not surviving for long or Kiting the dragons attacks(just like meleeing 360's in fight caves) which dramatically increases the clicking load. Thus, what i would suggest for you, furthermore as you aren't 99 range or mage yet, to range the dragons with rune crossbow and runite bolts, and get ~87 herblore as soon as possible for extremes. The setup would look pretty much the same as the one posted for ext ranges/super antis.

Hey, xpx, I was wondering if you could provide inventory's for players (Like myself) without 95 prayer or extremes/super antifires?

Both super antifires and extreme potions work just like normal versions of those potions- you'll be completely protected from the dragons fire with normal antifires and protect/deflect magic prayer. As for meleeing without SS/turm, i really wouldn't recommend it as it would either require bringing a load of food and not surviving for long or Kiting the dragons attacks(just like meleeing 360's in fight caves) which dramatically increases the clicking load. Thus, what i would suggest for you, furthermore as you aren't 99 range or mage yet, to range the dragons with rune crossbow and runite bolts, and get ~87 herblore as soon as possible for extremes. The setup would look pretty much the same as the one posted for ext ranges/super antis.

I actually plan on fire surging to 99 at frosts, and then ranging there to 99. If I had to choose, for melee, which would be the smarter choice, Extremes (and EEE) or turmoil/soul split?

From my understanding, using melee now, I'd have to use a dragonfire shield, protect from mage, and antifire's? And I'd still be taking damage from their melee/ranged attacks? Which is why I need soul split, to counter that damage? Whereas extremes/super antifire allow me to use a defender?

So... 95 prayer is more of a defensive investment, and 87 herblore is an offensive investment?

In this case, seeing as I don't think I'd be able to effectively kill them, I believe 95 prayer is a first priority? I'd just like you to clarify this :P

Oh, and would you happen to know how much PROFIT I can assume from 95 mage/range to 99 via frosts? (Maging first, of course, so that's a large chunk of range exp from the cannon, if I'm not mistaken.)

Sumondskull6.png

Firstly, you can use rune defender with normal antifire and protect/deflect magic.

Secondly, I believe you would get more kills an hour with extremes than you would with turmoil, but because healing would become so much easier, i'd go with 95 prayer first assuming they are equal options. However, as 84(stew to 89 for att/str) is much easier to get than 95 prayer, it's a tough choice.

And well, it's extremely hard to to give any profit figures at anything lower than maxed stats/equipment, so no, i can't help with that.

Firstly, you can use rune defender with normal antifire and protect/deflect magic.

Secondly, I believe you would get more kills an hour with extremes than you would with turmoil, but because healing would become so much easier, i'd go with 95 prayer first assuming they are equal options. However, as 84(stew to 89 for att/str) is much easier to get than 95 prayer, it's a tough choice.

And well, it's extremely hard to to give any profit figures at anything lower than maxed stats/equipment, so no, i can't help with that.

Oh, that's right, lol.

I agree, I would get more kills per hour with extremes, but I think I'm going to go with 95 prayer because it will allow me to stay for a longer period of time. Another thing to consider is that I'll be doing plenty of slaying when I'm bored, which, I think 95 prayer is extremely useful for. Tack on the fact that I MIGHT be getting a CM as my second chaotic, after rapier, for PKing, and Turmoil wins? :)

Would it be a better choice to use Diamond bolts (e) instead of Runite bolts, the difference in cost is a measly 205gp? Or is the whole point in using Runite bolts that you're already so accurate that the extra damage outweighs the very small overall accuracy bonus you get from the Diamond specs?

Sumondskull6.png

I agree, I would get more kills per hour with extremes, but I think I'm going to go with 95 prayer because it will allow me to stay for a longer period of time. Another thing to consider is that I'll be doing plenty of slaying when I'm bored, which, I think 95 prayer is extremely useful for. Tack on the fact that I MIGHT be getting a CM as my second chaotic, after rapier, for PKing, and Turmoil wins? :)

Would it be a better choice to use Diamond bolts (e) instead of Runite bolts, the difference in cost is a measly 205gp? Or is the whole point in using Runite bolts that you're already so accurate that the extra damage outweighs the very small overall accuracy bonus you get from the Diamond specs?

It made sense to use diamond when they cost less than runite, but now that it's turned around, the specs of diamond just don't make up for the general damage loss. Frosts have really low ranged def(thus why ranging can yield around the same number of kills as melee).

It made sense to use diamond when they cost less than runite, but now that it's turned around, the specs of diamond just don't make up for the general damage loss. Frosts have really low ranged def(thus why ranging can yield around the same number of kills as melee).

That makes sense, and thanks for all of your help! :)

Sumondskull6.png

Getting like 190 kills/hr with hand cannon and 185 with xbow. Not including banking. Is that normal?

Quite normal. To get the maximum amount of kills you need to be very active and busy, but it's sometimes preferable to take it more slowly. The hand cannons range allows you to be more efficient while not clicking as much, but if the difference is below ~6-7 kills, it's not worth it. With 80% concentration, i usually get around 193 kills an hour with hand cannon(no rigour), luring as much as possible.