Guide to Powerfletching

Uula

anim.gif

rewritten as of 28/12/2006

Well, as you might know(from my avatar), I have 99 fletching. On the way there, I've been experimenting with different ways to string my bows. Now I think I have found the right way, after many tips from people here on TIF and some friends ingame... there might be better ways... I don't know :P

But if you want to get that 99 fletching in 2 weeks, and are too lazy to discover a fast way for stringing yourself, keep reading this guide and find out!

Table of Contents

Above - Introduction

Table of Contents

1. Requirements

2. Preparation

3. How do you do it? - The guide.

4. FAQ

5. Credits

1 - Requirements

As you surely know, the 2 main materials required for bow fletching are logs and bowstrings. But as the fastest xp in well profitable fletching comes from stringing, you will be buying unstrung bows whenever you see them.

I suggest NOT stringing any bows below yew long. It is merely a waste of money. But as soon as you get level 70 fletching, yeehaw here comes to good experience AND money. As you probably guessed; yew longbows. So I will set a recommendation of 70 fletching on this one. Let's conclude this in a few lines..

To start fletching this way, you will need:

Logs and/or unstrung(longbow) yews - Preferably 1000 or more.

An equal amount of bowstrings

Level 70 fletching

And of course, some time and motivation.

2 - Preparation

[DISCLAIMER] Some of the prices in this section can be off, as I'm not updating them anymore. To make sure you don't get scammed, look for an average price before buying ANYTHING

Okay so you don't know where to get your logs and bowstrings? Well, we have 2 obvious options here...

Either cut the logs, and make the bowstrings yourself

OR

Buy the materials.

And ofcourse you can do a mixture of both, however you like it. Below I will list the best ways to get both logs and strings.

Bowstrings

Option 1 - Pick flax, and make strings [LEVEL 10 CRAFTING REQUIRED]

i. If you have done the Roving Elves quest, start Mourning Ends part 1, and pick flax at Lletya. Bank as much as you need, and make strings at the Lumbridge spinning wheel,2nd floor of the castle, bank up the stairs from there.

ii. Of course it requires some high levels to do Roving Elves, so for those who haven't done it... Seers! The nirvana of all woodcutters, fletchers and flaxpickers. Go south from the Seer's Village bank, past the Party House, and you'll see the flax field. Then, on the way back, enter the small building just west of the maple tree there, and go up the stairs for the spinning wheel. Spin your flax there, bank, and repeat! See image below this section if you don't know where to go.

Option 2 - Buy them

i. Buy flax. Try looking on the official forums, on either Crafting or Fletching market section(use the search button too!). A reasonable price right now would be anything below 130 gp each... I think. Look around for prices, I can't keep updating this all the time! If you can't find any flax on the forums, go to Seer's bank on a high populated world(refer to image below)When you have the flax you need, make strings at the Lumbridge spinning wheel, 2nd floor of the castle, bank up the stairs from there.

ii. Buy strings. This is the best option to maximize time you can spend fletching!!. Buy them in the fletching section on the official forums. Try getting them under 200 gp each. And once again; I don't update these prices, so look around and compare before you buy anything. If you're really desperate, go to Seer's village and try buying there.

spots.png

Yews

i. Cut your own yews at Catherby. Try finding a world with 4 or less people. 60 woodcutting required here Refer to image above for details.

ii. Buy them! That's really a great option compared to cutting them yourself, as cutting is both slow woodcut exp and slow yews. So... again, let's head to the forums! This time you could even consider making your own thread. Again, look around for the current price(around 300 ea) and settle for the one many people sell for, not any rip-off prices. And if you want your yews fast, set a price 5-10 gp above the market average, just make sure your string+yew price doesn't exceed 550 gp. Also, If you see yew longbows(u) being sold for a reasonable price, buy! Stringing is much faster xp than cutting!

iii. If you want cheaper yews, but from a less reliable source, go buy them in world 1 Varrock. There are lots of scammers here, so watch out! Always look at the second trading screen. See image above for the right area.

Okay, so now you have all the materials. Let's start with cutting the logs. Simply, go to any bank, withdraw logs and a knife(buy in some members-only general stores, or Shantay pass), use the knife on the logs, and click some random numbers, and press enter. Just wait a minute while your character fletches them, bank and repeat until you've fletched all your logs into unstrungs.

Tada! You're pretty much ready for the faster xp now. Let's start with the following setup:

setup.png

Use your ring of dueling to tele to Castle Wars. Turn private chat off, face camera north, put your materials as shown, withdraw 15 unstrungs and "all" bowstrings to fill your inventory.

Now you're ready to string! WOOT.

3 - How do you do it? -The guide.

Final setup

Close your bank, and pull one unstrung down to the corner:

setup2.png

This is where the fun, but sorta stressy part begins... The stringing.

1. Click the unstrung. Then, rapidly, doubleclick the bowstring next to it. You will make one bow, and select the bowstring to make another.

setup3.png

2. Doubleclick the unstrung, then the bowstring again, and repeat as fast as your fingers can until you're out of bowstrings. You will notice you have 2 unstrungs left, don't worry, it's supposed to be like that, so you don't have to move an unstrung to the bottom each time. Your inv looks like this:

readyinv.png

3. Open the bank. It's only one click, no rightclicks needed. Here you see why I told you to put the materials like that in the bottom row. Rightclick the bowstrings in the area shown, and rapidly left click again. Wow, it somehow withdre all your bowstrings! But hey that's great. Then deposit all your bows, and do the trick above with your unstrung bows aswell.

withdraw.png

Now your inventory should look like in the "final setup" part above. So repeat from step 1 and just continue stringing.

Simple, but effective. You'll get the hang of it after a few inventories, and maybe be able to string as many as 3 thousand, and even 4 thousand bows in just one hour. With yew's that's 225k or 300k xp in just one hour. That's faster than most other skills!

4 - FAQ

Q: Why use the bank at Castle Wars?

A:The CW bank is ONE-CLICK. In other banks, with an exception for the RFD and Duel arena banks, you have to right click and select "Bank Banker" or "Use-Quickly Bank Booth". Here it's one click.

You can also use the Recipe for Disaster bank in the Lumbridge basement, but not the Duel arena ones, as they keep closing every now and then.

Q: What's so special about the north facing camera?

A: The north facing camera is not absolutely necessary, but I found it the spot where I least clicked peoples cats and the crates around the chest when opening my bank.

5 - Credits

Well... No one in particular, but everyone who said the thing earlier known as "Method two", which is the one I picked for the current version of the guide.

Thanks for reading! Post any questions and such and I'll try reply the best I can... But have fun stringing! And good luck with that 99 fletching :D

Uula.png

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice amazing guide to stringing bows Gratz!

Also be carefull of gettting some weird muscle spazm in your fingerz while clicking after a few hours.just stretch them after that :P

23 whip pks,3 dhorka,2 ahrims lvl 119 attack 99 strength 99 and defence 92 plus 94 mage

Very interesting, although you are not accounting for the time to set up the strings and bows as such.

What is the fastest way to get the strings, other than buying them? The Gnome Stronghold? Seer Village? Inquiring minds want to know!

:D

I personally didin't pick the flax or spin any bowsrtings myself. I bought yew logs 325 each and bow strings 175 each, and then i just fletched them. Simple.

Nice amazing guide to stringing bows Gratz!

Also be careful of gettting some weird muscle spazm in your fingerz while clicking after a few hours.just stretch them after that :P

Thanks for this uk_swat, yes it is highly recommended to stretch your fingers when they start feeling cold, or just tired. It shouldnt be anything dangerous, just keep stringing :wink: . But if you feel it's HURTING, then stop immediately, and contact a doctor or something.

Uula.png

Not bad, although I use my own methods (not mentioning as you said).

Note though, you may want public on hide so people know you're not autoing. -.-

NO MERCH - NO PEST CONTROL - NO SOUL WARS

Lowest combat (only sub-90) on the TIF high scores list

mr_ph3r.png

8inagility.jpg

mr_ph3r.png

Not bad, although I use my own methods (not mentioning as you said).

Note though, you may want public on hide so people know you're not autoing. -.-

The difference is just that you got faster fingers :wink:

Uula.png

Thanks for the great guide, you need to team up with someone and make a high alching bows guide!

I could try doing one myself, though it's very simple

Uula.png

Wow, why couldn't I have read this before. I had to learn these techniques myself the hard way. This method does make a big difference, it helped me to 99 fletching.

122 Combat : 99 Hits : 99 Attack : 99 Strength

97/99 Defence : 99 Fletching : 99 Woodcutting

This is the exact way I got my fletching to level 86. I've always done it this way (except never at Castl Wars chest).

It really is the best way to go. Especially if you love bowstringing like I do :wink: .

RS Name: Zibl || Click Signature for my RS Life Story!

ziblretieredwarriorchicpc7.jpg

[ 87 Combat ] [ 1240 Total ] [ Ex-RSC Professional Merchant ]

12.20.01 - 10.5.05 || Status: Retired

Total losses in 5 years = just over 630 million gp (BILLIONS in today's prices)

This is the exact way I got my fletching to level 86. I've always done it this way (except never at Castl Wars chest).

It really is the best way to go. Especially if you love bowstringing like I do :wink: .

Amen. I've got 98 fletching too...way to go.

Runescape Name: "unbug07"

sunsig6yg.png

Expand your mind.

Very interesting, although you are not accounting for the time to set up the strings and bows as such.

What is the fastest way to get the strings, other than buying them? The Gnome Stronghold? Seer Village? Inquiring minds want to know!

:D

Pick the flax in Lletya (the elven village - opened by accepting mourner's part 1) - the flax is right next to the bank... It is questionable as to where to spin it into strings... Lletya and Seers seem to be as quick for me but friends of mine swear by seers.

I've always done stringing as you've described just never at CW before... I guess I'll try it there from now on.

I've been doing this at Cwar ever since my fletching is in the mid 70s 2 months ago. You're bound to figure out timesaving techniques like these when you've been stringing stringing so many bows.

There is however a few things that I'd like to suggest that may improve speed.

1) Dont put the unstrungs and strings at the top; keep them on the most righthand spot (as you already suggested) in rows 5 and 6 of the bank respectively (These 2 rows are the closest to your inventory)

2) As soon as you close the bank, drag the unstrung/bowstring that is in the 14th spot in the inventory (row 4, spot 2) to the bottom right corner of the inventory, and alternate the clicks between spot 27 and 28.

Sort of the way I do it.

Works fine with Herblore too.

I have a modified version where I:

-Withdraw One Red Spiders Egg (any random item works)

-Withdraw 14 Longbows (u)

-Withdraw 13 strings

-Move a longbow to the second last slot

-Click between the bottom longbow and the string rapidly.

Since there is one extra longbow (u) it won't be strung and it will just always stay there. That way you don't have to click just thirteen times or else have to pull a longbow down after every bank.

Instead its just:

Withdraw Strings

Deposit Strung Bows

Withdraw unstrung

Click a lot.

Repeat.

stringingmethod.png

Works the same way as this, just replace the unstrung longbows with the lants in the picture and the vials with the strings.