Moderator Spotlight

Mod_Spotlight.jpg

Overview Of The Moderator Role

• The Tip.it Forums are vast. At the time this spotlight is written, our forums have over 190,000 members who have posted over 4,300,000 replies to threads. This makes the Tip.it Forums one of the largest IPB-based forum communities on the internet. Our forums are not just a place for visitors of our website to interact, discuss the game and other matters; it also serves as a place where our users help our website staff gather valuable information regarding new and existing RuneScape content. The website thrives thanks to our forums, and vice versa.

The Tip.it Forum Moderators are leaders of this large community. They are a group of around 25 forum members dedicated to making sure the forums are running smoothly and ensuring that our users' forum experience is an enjoyable one. Of course most of our users only see moderators when they are enforcing the rules, but their jobs include much more than that. For privacy reasons, we cannot describe every detail of what goes on behind-the-scenes, but we hope that this overview will shed some light on what the Tip.it Forum Moderators actually do.

Rule enforcement is of course a very large part of the moderator job description, and is probably the first thing that comes to mind when you hear "moderator." Although it is not the only job moderators do, it is usually the most time consuming of their tasks. Much of their time is spent dealing with oversized/inappropriate avatars and signatures, locking unsuitable threads, moving misplaced posts, and removing rule-breaking posts and threads from public view. Luckily the Tip.it Forums are a very friendly community and actual hostility is relatively rare.

One of a moderator's most important tools is the report function. This nifty little piece of coding places a report button at the bottom of every post. By clicking it, any user can file a report regarding both the contents of their post and the user that posted it. These reports are then added to a list, where any moderator can see them (provided they have moderator powers to the forum in question). The moderator can then choose to handle the report or pass it on to a colleague who has more experience in that particular forum.

To understand the importance of the report function, let me reiterate two numbers: over 4,300,000 posts and only about 25 moderators. This means that we can't possibly see everything that is going on in the forums at all times. You, however, can. Every post is usually seen by at least a handful of users. By using the report function, users have a quick and reliable way of contacting the moderation staff.

Although locking and moving threads are probably what moderators are most publicly famous for, another one of their duties is issuing warnings to problematic users. When a user violates the Tip.it Forum Rules, their rule-breaking post must be removed from public view. No posts on the Tip.it Forums are ever permanently deleted. We keep record of all posts that are removed in a forum that only moderators and administrators have access to. Once the post is removed, the moderator can contact the user in question explaining why their post was removed and how it violated the Tip.it Forum Rules.

For every warning that is sent, a moderator has to file the paperwork. This might sound silly, but keeping records of actions taken and private messages sent sent allows moderators to perform their jobs better. Thanks to their records they can make sure that users are not contacted by multiple moderators for the same rule-breaking post. Additionally, moderators can review each others' work to ensure that users are receiving equal punishment for equal transgressions. Keeping records allows them to have a clear overview of a user's history when more drastic measures have to be taken. If a ban is necessary, moderators must request one from a Super Moderator or an administrator.

Of course all moderation has to be coordinated. Moderators have several channels of communication, both on the forums and off, that allow them to work on forum policy, exchange ideas and coordinate their efforts during an organized attack against the forum. They share some of these areas with website crew members, to help facilitate the work on the many areas where forum and website overlap. Some examples of the off-forum communication used by moderators are:
IRC, TeamSpeak and Skype. Thanks to their diverse channels of communication, nothing short of the entire internet being shut down can stop them from making sure the forum survives and thrives.

Another part of the moderator job description is reviewing old policies and bringing new ones to the table for discussion. Moderators listen to user feedback posted in Forum Updates & Suggestions as well as any unofficial discussions or feelings that users may have. These ideas are then forwarded to the entire moderator and administrator teams for review and possible implementation. All moderators share their thoughts and discuss the pros and cons of any changes. They have to consider the impact that the changes would have on the community. Moderators can spend days or even weeks discussing potential changes to the forum. The final decision and implementation is then usually made by administrators but that's another spotlight ;)

Thirdly, moderators are also leaders of the forum community. This is probably the most overlooked aspect of the moderator position. In addition to locking/moving/splitting/etc. and discussing policy changes, moderators also interact with the community, serving as a role-model for all users. Engagement with regular users is just as important as other aspects of the position. It allows moderators to see first-hand what changes need to be made to the forum and how they will affect the users. Not all suggestions are posted conveniently in the Forum Updates & Suggestions board. Sometimes suggestions need to be heard through word of mouth. With moderators actively involved in the community, they can pick up the general feeling of the regular users and any suggestions or desires that they may have. At the end of the day, moderators work for the users so it is important that they work to uphold the happiness and comfort of the community members.

Moderator Ranks

• Moderator Trainees

• Trainees are moderators that have been selected via application process. In public eyes they are essentially the same as Local Moderators (see below). They may only moderate forums that they are assigned to (usually 3-4). Just like other moderators, they can lock, split, merge, etc. as well as issue warnings to rule-violators. Behind the scenes, they receive careful guidance from other moderators as they get used to their new position.

Local Moderators

• Mod.jpg

Local Moderators are much like Moderator Trainees in the sense that they may only moderate forums that they are assigned to. If a Local Moderator is assigned to a forum, you will see their username at the bottom of the forum underneath "Forum Led By." Unless a Local Moderator has a more specific forum assignment (see next section), they have moderator powers in the following forums and have the option of requesting 2-3 additional forums of their choosing:

• General Discussion
      • Marketplace
      • Questionnaires

[*]RuneScape Media

[*]RuneScape Classic (RSC)

[*]Off-Topic

• Music, Movies & Television
      • Video Games & Consoles

There are also a few sub-divisions within the Local Moderator rank. These moderators have more specific assignments and do not necessarily have moderator powers in the forums listed above.

Clan Moderators

• Clan Moderators are dedicated to maintaining and moderating all boards in the "Clans" forum category. They also assist with Tip.it War Rankings. If you have a question or need help with something in the clan section, you should always contact a Clan Moderator.

Clan Community Leaders

• These users are members of the clan community who are invited to assist with some tasks that Clan Moderators handle. They do have some moderator powers but they are not full moderators.

Falador Tavern Moderator

• Falador Tavern Moderators are moderators who are solely dedicated to maintaining the Falador Tavern and its subforums. These moderators must be active participants in the roleplays as a regular user in addition to serving as a moderator.

Player-Made Guide Moderator

• These moderators are not only responsible for moderating the Player-Made Guide forum, but also for reviewing guides for the Archive of Wisdom. When guides are suggested for the Archive of Wisdom, the PMG Moderators forward the suggestion to the PMG Team for review. The guides are carefully read and analyzed and if deemed worthy, moved to the Archive of Wisdom forum. Additionally, PMG Moderators review the guides currently in the Archive of Wisdom to check for anything that is out-dated. If a guide has not been updated in some time, it may be removed from the Archive of Wisdom.

Global Moderators

• GlobalMod.jpg

Global Moderators have moderator powers on every public forum. They may still be assigned to specific forums and this simply means that they know the forum well and browse it often.

Super Moderators

• SuperMod.jpg

Like Global Moderators, Super Moderators can moderate every public forum. They also have a few additional responsibilities. This is the only moderator rank with banning abilities. They can suspend and permanently ban users as well as edit their profiles (to remove oversized and inappropriate signatures, avatars and other profile information). They are occasionally asked to assist with other Administrative duties.

Day In The Life

The first thing I do when I come online tends to be checking the staff's Skype chats to see what's happened overnight or while I was out. Usually anything being discussed is resolved by the time I get there, but it's still useful to know what's been going on. Then I'll go on the forums. My first glance will be to the top of the page where the report bar is, if there's any reports there I'll have a look and see if there's anything that I can deal with. Then I'll check the staff forums to see if any new discussion or problem has come up that I need to give my input to. Then, if there's nothing else to do, I'll browse the rest of the forums. Sometimes there's signature & avatar removals or users to ban (mostly spambots). I'll have you know I can remove a bot's post, do the ban paperwork and ban both it's IP and account in under 3 minutes :shades: Of course dealing with other things takes longer since spambots are fairly simple to deal with, as long as they haven't had the chance to make lots of posts.

I think the best part of being a Moderator is knowing that I can help the forums and give back to the community. I like being able to discuss issues that are affecting the forums and the stance that we, as Moderators, should take. I'd say the worst part of being a Mod is having to warn users, I know it might seem strange, but having to dish out punishment is something I'd rather not have to do. Of course that would only be in an ideal world, but even so :)

The main appeal to me about Tip.it was I had been visiting these forums before the reopening of the forums in June 2004, it's always had a great blend of people; there's fantastic artists here and also some brilliant players.

Moderating to me is mainly about keeping the forums clean but I still love to be involved with the community, there are a lot of wonderful Moderators and Admins here that I hope to follow in the footsteps of, who lead by example. The staff and players here I feel have earned the recent platinum status!

Moderating a forum is quite the experience. We have users and moderators from all different backgrounds. I enjoy working within the community and being as helpful as possible. Also, I love Rainy_Day.

The first thing I do when I visit TIF is check the staff forums for any important announcements or information. I'll then check the reports, see how I can help, and take the consequent action. If there isn't any of what I mentioned I just browse the forums as any user would.

My favorite part of being a moderator is the knowledge that I'm helping the community. I enjoy talking and getting to know our users and just generally being friendly.

I'm not one for long statements, so I will keep this short. Being a moderator is very fulfilling. It is very fun to help try and make these forums better. I often come up with out-of the box ideas for improving certain areas, some are taken up, some are often rubbish, but that is the best thing about this job. Helping improve the forum and leading by example.

I think the best part of being in the staff is just knowing that you have made a positive impact on certain aspects of the forums, all members of staff strive to achieve a great Tip.It and that's what it's become.

My favorite times are when the users step up to the plate and do something for the benefit of them all (Looking at you Clan Discussion). It makes my day when there's no reports to deal with and an interesting and stimulating discussion is occurring and I can sit back and enjoy it or even participate in it. Sorry there's nothing extremely clever, witty, or funny, I guess that's what Y_Guy is for. #

Being a moderator doesn't mean I'm the one with the aviators on patrolling the forums with a box of donuts next to me. Rather, I see it more as a beacon of help to whoever calls. Each one of us care about the forums more than you know it. These forums are a haven for discussion, enjoyment, enlightenment, and you the forum users, make it what it is today. :)

As a moderator I've really been able to appreciate the vast diverseness of the community here and the amount of effort that everyone, both staff members and forum users alike, put in to help make these forums an awesome place to hang out on. Yes, occasionally posts need to be removed, warnings sent out, and topics locked, but with a community this size these annoyances are actually quite small in number. I think that's why I enjoy being a moderator, to help keep the community being awesome. I don't think many people realize it but every new idea for the forums is discussed to death, just because everyone on the moderator team only want the best for the forum and the community as a whole.

What I personally enjoy most out of modding Tip.It forums is the chance to give back to this community, after I have taken away so, so much. But really, The Gallery is my home and my haven, so my real best thing about being a Mod is being able to revel in other artists company, and share critique and experience.

I primarily mod The Gallery, with Sam and Stevepole.

These forums offer something which I haven't seen anywhere else, a very friendly and tightly-knit community even though there's thousands of users. Being involved in what I enjoy and being able to do more to help the Community is a great feeling. I have enjoyed being involved in a bigger way, knowing there's going to be less bad content or Ad Bots roming around is great! ;) I really do thing if you're interested, you should try and involve yourself some how. Be it via joning the Tip.It Events Team (TET) TET AU -- Posting and helping in the "Help & Advice" section, submitting corrections and new information to the "Website Updates & Corrections or posting your own ideas to the "Forum Updates & Suggestions"; They're all ways you can continue contributing to bettering what you guys have ultimately created; why we all come back day-by-day; and why we all have come to love Tip.It.

Clans will always be the #1 thing that keeps me attached to the game. I love having an opportunity to help with the section. The people you meet are sure as spirited as they are intelligent there. It truly is the best aspect of the game. I feel sorry for those who haven't experienced it, or had a bad incident turn them off from it. All I can say is: keep trying, you won't regret it!

These forums have gone through a lot of challenges and changes in the past eight years that I've been with the staff. We've seen many faces come and go over the years, but the community more or less remains the same: Tight knit and rising up together when we are faced with opposition. Being a witness to the changes inside and outside of staff has always made me feel happy to be a part of such a complex community. It's you, the users, that make it worth signing on and reading about the game we all enjoy playing. You are the ones who help us clean the forums by reporting to us when something is amiss. You are the ones who help us successfully move from one server to another, bringing all your enthusiasm and commitment to the community. You are the ones who make this Tip.it. You and everyone of the Tip.it Staff team. Keep up the great work everyone! Together we will continue to be one of the greatest Internet gaming communities to ever exist!

Questions & Answers

• [hide=Q: Is it true that U need to spend alot of time working on the forums and therefore have less time to actually play runescape itself?]
    • Danqazmlp: I actually quit runescape, although it never did limit my time. I had always spent just as much time on the forums as I had in-game.

• Hobgoblinpie: No, this is not true. The forums may occasionally require quite a bit of work, but this does not interfere with playing on RuneScape.

• Racheya: Thanks to the staff Skype chats, it's actually easy to play Runescape and work on the forums at the same time. Often, if someone is needed, then it's just said in the chat and I can hop over to the forums and deal with what needs to be done. I do spend less time on RS because I'm browsing the forums, but I'd be doing that anyway even if I wasn't a mod.

• Quikdrawjoe: Normally no, but if a huge firestorm comes up it may take away from Runescape but that's not too often.

• Y_Guy: Well I don't play anymore, but when I did, I definitely found that to be the case.

• Mirror: I am retired from Runescape with some spurts of random wanting to go to a TET event here or there. So I spend my time on the forums 99% while the rest going to actually playing.

• Gandorf61: I find it easy to multitask when doing low attention skills such as fishing, but for the most part I'd say I play less Runescape since I became a moderator.

• Toad: It depends on the situation; some topics require moving which is a very simple thing to do, if you lock it requires no action, if you have to remove the topic instantly then it's most likely severe enough for a warning and takes a little while to do but I still play an unhealthy amount ;)

• Newb: I've stopped playing RuneScape actively, anyway, prior to joining the Moderator team. But even before then I did spend a lot of time browsing and posting and getting the 5-minute idle log-out timer on RuneScape! :P

• Sam: I personally spend a lot of my time on the forums. Although I do not play Runescape anymore I have family members and friends that still play, so I am aware of the updates which Jagex release

• strilmus: On the whole, neither is really affected, as long as having both of them open at the same time does not crash my compy.

• Kimberly: I have found it edge along my playing time a little...but since it's related to runescape anyway, I don't feel 'deprived' at all. Truth is, even if I wasn't on staff, I'd probably STILL spend this much time on the forums!

[/hide]

[hide=Q: How long, on average, do all of you spend your time on the forums?]

• Hobgoblinpie: Depending on how long I am on Runescape, probably 2 hours per night on average

• Racheya: Several hours a day.

• jimmy_jim: Usually at least 2+ hours of undivided attention, though I have the forums open in the background for most of the day and check into them pretty often.

• Y_Guy: How long? An hour a day maybe? Perhaps more, depending on the day.

• Mirror: Relatively, I am a busy guy in my life, so I log in to check my PM's, Editorial Panel (Tip.it Times), then anything that needs modding, then I log. So not long at all. But when I have the chance to sit down and answer questions like this or what not, I could spend hours just enjoying myself reading up on forum topics I've missed out on.

• Gandorf61: Anywhere from 10 minutes on days I have lots of real life stuff to deal with to 4-5 hours when I have nothing else to do.

• Toad: I'm hitting F5 in my favourite areas of the forums when I'm online really, I casually drift outside of my area to check out other topics though :)

• Newb: It varies, really. I'm generally on the forums when I'm on my laptop and it's always on in the background...!

• Sam: Probably a couple of hours a day.

• strilmus: I hang out whenever general discussion is very active, and the rest of the time is spent lurking, but nobody really looks at the users online thing anyway, so mostly I'm too lazy to log in unless I need to do or post something.

• Kimberly: I try for an hour at least a day but usually I'm on it a lot...lot more than that. Wait, wha--? What do you mean I procrastinate by going on the forums? No, I'm not procrastinating--what paper? No, that's not due till next week...>_>

[/hide]

[hide=Q: Who of the current moderators has been in the staff for the longest time?]

• A: Silverion.

[/hide]

[hide=Q: What's your favorite kind of cookie?]

• Danqazmlp: I like bourbon biscuits.

• Hobgoblinpie: Chocolate chip.

• Quikdrawjoe: All of them excluding anything with walnuts, pecans, or coconut.

• spooferfish: I find it very difficult to choose one, but I guess I'll say peanutbutter. But my fiance's mother does make some awkwardly tasty sugar cookies...

• stevepole: Oatmeal, I would say.

• Y_Guy: Session cookies.

• Mirror: Peanut butter cookies with the giant chocolate kiss in the middle. I wouldn't mind having some at my front door very soon. ;)

• Gandorf61: Vanilla cinnamon cookies are delicious. :3

• Newb: I have no favourites; as long as it doesn't contain any nuts or anything I'm happy with it!

• Necromagus: The kind that keep me logged in to various sites, thus saving valuable browsing time.

• Sam: Triple chocolate chip, 'fo sho!

• strilmus: Always liked Oreos despite them sticking to teeth and whatnot.

• Kimberly: Raspberry thumbprint, with almond extract in the cookie! nomonmonomonmonomonmom

[/hide]

[hide=Q: Which forum is hardest to moderate?]

• Danqazmlp: The Rs screenshots thread is definitely the hardest place to moderate. Other than that, I would say rants.

• Racheya: Ones that I don't know much about such as the Clan forums or Falador Tavern - they have specific needs that I'm not really aware of. Other than that, I'd say forums such as Rate This, where arguments and flaming sometimes breaks out.

• jimmy_jim: They all have their differences and can be hard to moderate for different reasons. Personally, I feel General Discussion is hardest to moderate because of the amount of activity there.

• Y_Guy: My focus is mostly clans, but every forum offers its own unique moderating challenge.

• Mirror: Depends on what your idea of hardest is. To me, it's those that I don't understand the context of the report, so I ask questions to other moderators before making a decision. Those would be the most difficult for me.

• Gandorf61: General Discussion because of the spambots, or Rate This! due to the large amount of flaming.

• Newb: They all have their busy times; I wouldn't say one is more difficult than the other. Really depends on how busy it is on that day.

• Sam: Runescape General Discussion, simply because of the amount of content which filters through every day

• strilmus: There is a lot of mess in the screenshot thread. :D

• Kimberly: Each board presents its own unique 'difficulties' as they do their own pleasures. It's really hard to say which is the 'hardest'. Sorry, I know that's a lame answer, but it's the truth!
    (Though my money is on the clans section.)

[/hide]

[hide=Q: Does it feel awkward when you PM a user personally about a post removal? Especially if you know them well.]

• Danqazmlp: As a rule, I will ask another staff member to deal with them. Normal warnings don't feel awkward at all once you get used to them.

• Racheya: I generally try to avoid dealing with users that I personally know, since it's easy to claim a lack of objectivity if you were warning a friend ect, or someone you dislike. However, PMing most normal users isn't a problem and isn't awkward, it's a part of the job.

• jimmy_jim: Yes, a lot of the time if I know a user very well I leave the situation for another moderator to handle because I don't want to be biased.

• Mirror: I personally don't. If I am dealing with a mod abuse or something that deals directly at me, then I let someone else take care of it due to bias. But if it is a simple warning or post removal, I'm fine with it. They know this is one of my duties and accept that fact. The part I enjoy most is when I hear comments such as "You haven't changed one bit" from the times of when I played to the time I do now. It makes me feel good that I can still have that happiness in my step while still being able to be a moderator.

• Gandorf61: Always. I dislike warning users but it's really the only way to get the rules across to some people.

• Toad: I Imagine it feels more awkward to the user recieving the message ;)

• Newb: I generally request another Moderator to deal with something if the person in question is a friend of mine.

• Necromagus: I don't really have this problem. If I know someone really well and feel that they need the attention from a moderator, I'll ask someone else to avoid any misunderstandings about preferential treatment.

• Sam: For me, yes, although if they have broken the rules we have to follow through with a PM as part of the process of dealing with a report.

• strilmus: Course I don't know anybody here personally, but it's part o the job anyway.

• Kimberly: Yes, it feels awkward, but it still has to be done. The good thing is we have such a large staff team of intelligent, capable individuals, that they can request help. But, yeah, in such a tight community such as Tip.it's, sometimes it's unavoidable.

[/hide]

[hide=Q: I heard you browse the forums with condoms in your ears, is it so you don't get hearing aids? Not that that's a bad thing or anything, but the better your senses, the more likely you are to catch trolls.]

• jimmy_jim: Who told you? Someone's been leaking moderator policies :mad:

• spooferfish: If you put it over the screen it is much less of a hindrance.

• Mirror: I must have forgotten to but the cover page on the TPS report. I never got the memo.

• strilmus: Nah, you're thinking of ultracontacts, which hurt slightly less than some of the stupid that is encountered at least once a week.

• Kimberly: 1277604628121.jpg

[/hide]

[hide=Q: Have you ever bought anything from the tipit shop?]

• Danqazmlp: Not personally

• jimmy_jim: I haven't yet, if I was going to RuneFest I would have though. Maybe I could've worn this?

• Mirror: Nope, but I try to get Cowman to buy me stuff every so often. :)

• Gandorf61: No, but I might buy a mug someday.

• strilmus: Nope.

[/hide]

[hide=Q: What are your honest thoughts on the RSOF, what makes us stand out?]

• Danqazmlp: The main problm with the RSOF is its warning system. Moderators there simple cannot be expected to moderate everything. The report system there is so inneficient it must make thier job incredibly hard (something I would not want to do). For example, here, users can see the report button on every post, which once pressed, moderators can see. On the RSOF, there is a thread for users to post the QFC of an offending topic and posts. However, many do not know of this which means moderators have to actively search for offences which is very time consuming.

• Racheya: I think the RSOF is a bit of a mess, to be honest. It's a great place because of the volume of activity - but high activity alone doesn't make a great community. I think that what makes us stand out is that we have a solid, genuine community of not just people that play Runescape - but people that don't and stay for the community that we provide. You wouldn't find that on the RSOF.

• Quikdrawjoe: I dislike the detachment of the moderators there including Jagex staff. Very few forums/threads have any real involvement by the moderating staff. On Tip.It, I feel like I know the moderating staff and that there a regular user with some extra abilities. Other than that the options of RSOF are very limited, no quotes, no signatures, etc.

• stevepole: I haven't browsed the RSOF for the longest times but Tip.it has stood out to me over the years as having a great community and a great place to have fun and occasionally learn something new.

• Mirror: RSOF are a great resource for Jagex to use to communicate to their community on a much more personal level rather than having to clutter a RSS feed of their News Feed. I see more of a difference with Tip.it as a variance. Consider different brands of shoes, they all get the job done, but with different style. I see all the fansites out there as a type of shoe, Tip.it being just a preference, not a need.

• Gandorf61: On the RSOF, hundreds of new topics are being made everyday which really overshadows the good discussions and makes it harder to follow topics. Overall the the RSOF really just needs a software overhaul to get rid of spam and let good discussions have more freedom.

• Toad: I don't enjoy visiting the official forums, there's several reasons Tip.it stands out I find it's integrated better. I feel it helps being able to post images, signatures and have a personal feel to it where-as it's pretty much restrictions on the official forums.
    Not forgetting you guys sign up to these forums which makes it a more friendly place, where-as the official forums is a default place and people only usually go on to give negative feedback on content. I feel we get greater discussion value at Tip.it too which has always had me hooked, even before the launch of the RuneScape forums in 2004 I was visiting these forums.
    I used RSOF for trading, since the Grand exchange I don't even do that anymore ;)

• Sam: It's a great forum for Runescape, but for stuff outside of the game it isn't that good.

• strilmus: Well, for one, I'm allowed to burn any idiot here on sight!
    Well actually, no, we're not allowed to do that.
    I appreciate this message board for having actual conversations, which aren't possible when the RSOF board is limited in software and dedicated users.

• Kimberly: The RSOF and Tipit are extremely different--from structure to community. That isn't to say that either one is bad, really. I love the RSOF for different reasons than I do Tip.it, and of course, Tip.it will always be first in my affections. But the RSOF can be more casual, more fun.
    There are some good discussions there on the RSOF!
    You just have to look reeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaalllllyyyyy hard. <_<

[/hide]

[hide=Q: When applying for a job, do you include the fact that you moderate/crewbierate such a big forum/website in your CV? Has anyone ever received a special comment towards it?]

• Mirror: I have once put that I was the TET Leader for two years on my university's campus Student Body Events Team. I didn't get the job, which could be a variety of reasons, but I still did it and I laugh about it to this date! :D

• Toad: I think it's worth mentioning if the job relates to that kind of area yes ;)

• Newb: I haven't needed to yet as I've not been applying for any jobs where such information would come in useful; but I'm sure it could be worth noting.

• Kimberly: Never directly. But being a moderator actually gives you a remarkably large chance to exercise critical leadership skills that are highly valued in the workplace. So while I might not say, "Herpderp, Imma mod and im firin mah lazar!@#", I might say that I have a high level of critical thinking, I take initiative, and so on during interviews.

[/hide]

[hide=Q: Is everyone's main language english?]

• Mirror: Nope, we come from all stretches of the globe, each having our own respective cultures and tongues of speech. I personally hail from the USA with some blood from South Korea. That is one thing I enjoy about Tip.it, is that we are a global hub of related interests. It brings about people I wouldn't normally have the chance to speak to on my walk to campus, so it is refreshing to log in to the forums and be able to break down the walls of distance and be here.

• Necromagus: Due to the nature of timezones, we have staff all over the world. Obviously having a good grasp of the English language is a prerequisite for becoming a moderator, but there are plenty of staff members who have English as their second or even third language.

• Sam: For myself, yes. I do speak French though.

[/hide]

[hide=Q: Have any of you met IRL with others and went for a drink or something?]

• Mirror: I was very close in meeting evil_mumm_ra, retired TET Leader, due to our close(er) distance, but our time schedules never lined up. Hey, EMR, let's share a drink sometime if you come back this way? ;)

• Toad: I haven't no, maybe next year at RuneFest 11, I'll definitely be attending.

• Newb: No; there's only one other staff member from Ireland has he's a few hours away.

• Necromagus: I've met about half a dozen (former) staff members in real life at one time or another. The farthest I've ever travelled to meet another staff member is 8188 kilometres. One staff member almost became my housemate, but declined the room due to the distance to the university they attend.

• strilmus: I live really far from all the other people. And by far, I mean in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

[/hide]

[hide=Q: Have you thought about maxing out your character?]

• Mirror: Maybe when I first started playing back in 2004, but ever since the summer of 2006 (Disclaimer: Best summer of Runescape of my life!) I knew it wasn't for me. I don't even think of getting a single 99, so oh well, I just play whenever I want to, not like I have a need to.

• Gandorf61: All the time, still not even close yet though. :(

• Toad: I Have been Maxed since November, now Dungeoneering to eat away at :(

• Newb: Of course I've thought about it; not going to happen though! :P

• Kimberly: No way in hell. I just don't have that kind of time. That doesn't mean I don't play--oh no no. Quite the opposite. I just don't lie to myself. :P

[/hide]

[hide=Q: Lady Ninane: Why won't you marry Amateurnoob?]

• Y_Guy: I can answer for her and say that she is pledged to nox344.

• jimmy_jim: Because she's married to me

• Kimberly: 1277363602377.jpg

[/hide]

[hide=Q: If you could change one thing with the tip.it forums, what would it be?]

• stevepole: For me the only thing I'd like to see is more and more people get involved in active discussions, but for me Tip.it has always been the same, something I could always count on for year after year so in that aspect, I love Tip.it the way it is.

• Mirror: We've constantly been improving the forums, and when we have an idea, we are open with other about the idea we have by proposing it. On a personal change, I'd ask for more skittles in my non existent pay check. Sour ones please.

• jimmy_jim: I've never liked the coloured names as I think it makes the gap between user and staff larger than it should be, it's too late to change that now though. And maybe a bit more leniency in some areas and less in others but the forums are going great the way they are at the moment.

• Quikdrawjoe: I would ban Das. I'd probably change the Clan Community leader color from that weird sky blue to something else. :P

• strilmus: I'd rather change Runescape first. The rest would follow pretty easily.

[/hide]

[hide=Q: If you could get one thing from jagex, what would it be?]

• Mirror: I already got that, but knowing what I do makes a difference in their eyes. Nothing of monetary value will ever succeed that to me.

• Racheya: A job :)

• jimmy_jim: A j-mod crown :shades:

• Quikdrawjoe: Lifetime membership that or player moderator can't decide.

• strilmus: Really, just more transparency. But that would also have to come with a system of determining and implementing valuable input. It seems like they prefer to single out certain players for advice rather than spend enough time to figure out what the community actually wants. It's a tall order, but if a player can determine trends through experience, certainly a staff member would not have any more or less trouble!

• Toad: To hire some of our crewbies to do their knowledge base, lifetime members and to be more involved with fansites, posting on their forums once in a while.

[/hide]

[hide=Q: If you could change one thing ingame what would it be?]

• Mirror: Have the chance to be able to view cutscenes over again. I think that'd be a wonderful addition, like some memory playback item in your POH. Reason why was because I missed some cutscenes while doing a quest way back when and I've always wanted to witness them myself.

• Racheya: I'd like to make the combat triangle more balanced in PvM situations. You have to melee nearly ALL monsters in the game, it's rather annoying if you ask me.

• jimmy_jim: Drop parties..I really miss that

• Quikdrawjoe: I'd replicate the common warring grounds in CWA with a different drop system.

• strilmus: I'd like skills to move beyond just watching your character do something, and being able to affect their actions by a greater degree than clicking on a resource point.

• Kimberly: No more safe pvp. Keep clanwars, but remove the protection of your items on death. Gahhhhh that makes me so mad. inb4lolyumadtho

• Toad: Many things, the main problem these days is around 95% of transactions go through the Grand Exchange, I'd like that to be changed as manipulation is too common and too easy.

[/hide]

[hide=Q: why do you choose to spend your time on tip.it, rather than irl?]

• stevepole: No, I'd always choice doing something in real life over browsing Tip.it, but if I'm at home sitting on my computer, I can't help from getting on Tip.it.

• Mirror: Spending my time on Tip.it is my real life. It's not like I separate myself and my 24 hours I have a day. I come home from a long day, want to relax, so I come on here to check out some topics to read. I don't have a TV, so the crazy people here (yet awesome) are my entertainment. :)

• Racheya: Because I have issues... :P But seriously, I enjoy online communities and before Tip.It I was member of various forums and made myself as involved as possible in those as well. I do spend time irl, but if Tip.It wasn't here then I wouldn't be spending more time outside or anything, I'd just be on a different forum.

• jimmy_jim: I'm usually on the computer anyway for assignments, so I flick between both. Tip.It hasn't made me neglect my social life or anything

• Quikdrawjoe: Luckily, in my world Tip.It is in real life. Good thing I don't live in an alternate dimension eh?

• strilmus: I suck at social events. Yep.

• Kimberly: It's a nice retreat sometimes. I have a fulfilling (and hectic) life, and sometimes I like to take a break. That might seem strange, since moderators have duties and expectations...But the truth is, first and foremost, this is a volunteer position. I volunteered because it was enjoyable. The moment it isn't enjoyable is the moment I resign. :P

[/hide]

[hide=Q: what is your biggest mistake / best decision on tip.it?]

• stevepole: Biggest mistake was letting my friends know my password years ago, which resulted in this account being ban and this other account I had years ago I used when we used to be Scapeboard. My best decision was probably getting a new more challenging password.

• Mirror: Now this is interesting to think about, for I never have thought about it. I guess the biggest mistake I made was in my early years of being on staff. I burned a few bridges after an incident that was partly my fault. They were my best friends in this game and on the forums, but now I don't even keep in contact anymore. I wish I could take back that situation sometimes, but I know things happened, and now I see myself, almost 3 years later, still on staff and able to know that I made a mistake and try to correct it with every relationship I make here. Out of the bad, comes a greater good in this case.

• jimmy_jim: I haven't really made any big mistakes, I once left a mirror thread to a hidden forum but that was fixed up pretty quickly. Best decision would be sending in the moderator application.

• Quikdrawjoe: My biggest mistake was trying to fix the TWR once, the codes were all messed up. Finally gave up and had Das fix it. My best decision was registering or becoming a moderator. #

• Toad: Something I did a few weeks ago but I don't speak about it! the best thing I did was joining the Moderator team, there's awesome staff here that lurk in the shadows ;)

[/hide]

[hide=Q: what is the ultimate topic on tif?]

• Mirror: Ultimate is very subjective, unless there is a topic that just says "Ultimate" cause then that would be the ultimate topic on TIF. Every forum, every topic, every post has a character of its own, so it would be unfair to label something as ultimate while it may be in one perspective, but in another light, a different topic would be ultimate.

• jimmy_jim: I don't think there's an ultimate topic...I enjoy a lot of topics and read them regularly.

• Quikdrawjoe: The what clan would you rather join thread. :P

• strilmus: Why don't you check for yourself? :)

• Toad: The ones where I learn something from, so I think it's all of them. I love looking at the photography in The Gallery, and occasionally reading peoples blogs and also General Discussion!

[/hide]

[hide=Q: what is the feature you'd like the most on tip.it, if there were no constraints?]

• Mirror: I know people keep asking for the Rep System, but I don't need an ego trip, so I would say something along the lines of a "frequently used image" database that I could just pop open and post my favorite pictures into my post. Albeit, it would get annoying, but as long as I had quick access to a cabbage emoticon, I'd be happy. :)

• jimmy_jim: The gallery would be better if it would accept my ZIP files :P

• Quikdrawjoe: An auto updating TWR.

[/hide]

[hide=Q: why don't you write a couple of pieces for the tip.it times?!]

• stevepole: I have awful spelling and grammar, I'm sure many of you know by now.

• Mirror: I'm already on the Editorial Panel (Tip.it Times) but I have received articles from Staff members along with Regular members as well. So as long as a Staff members has an article, they are gladly able to put it into my mail box. :)

• Racheya: I write plenty :P It would be very nice to have more staff members submitting for the Times but, to be fair, not everyone *can* write an article.

• jimmy_jim: I've been meaning to...

• Quikdrawjoe: Nobody wants me to butcher the English language.

• strilmus: Because in order for me to write a second article, I'd have to think of ANOTHER fun idea. Those are hard to come by.

• Kimberly: I've written once for the Clan Chronicle, but I admit I don't do it as often as I should. When I put my mind to it, I'm a fair writer, but I'm lazy. That, to me, DOES feel like work and it's hard to want to do it.

• Toad: I'll consider it, I just need to find something to write about, honestly I don't have high hopes! ;)

[/hide]

[hide=Q: Do you guys actually enjoy moderating the forums, etc?]

• stevepole: Yeah, I do enjoy doing it. We have a great staff, which makes the whole experience that much more enjoyable.

• Mirror: I'll admit, it's not a glamorous job every day. But we all have our off days. We aren't forced to be moderating every day, we are allowed to take breaks. This is why it is so great to be with such a wonderful team, able to support each other. Then there are those peppy moderators...like Racheya... Kidding! :P

• Racheya: I'd say I enjoy moderating the forums a lot, but I dislike having to give out punishments (especially bans) to users. I'd rather smack a few spambots with the banhammer, to be honest!

• jimmy_jim: Yes, if I didn't I wouldn't be here

• Quikdrawjoe: 99% of the time yes, I dislike disciplining people though.

• strilmus: It's the same satisfaction as being able to remove a stain from a favorite shirt. Not that you're all stains....just some of yall. :D

[/hide]

[hide=Q: How involved are you in other fansites? Do you guys ever get involved with Zybez, Sal's, RuneScape Community, Etc?]

• stevepole: I used to, long ago, I was a member of RS Community, Rune Village, etc but none of them were like Tip.it, which is why I'm still here today.

• Mirror: I know when I was TET Leader, we tried to gather multi site events. Rune Village events team I have worked in the past personally, and they were a great group of guys and gals. Now as a Moderator, I hide in my cubbie hole and try to work my way out, but the work floods me back in. :(

• Racheya: I think that TET sometimes sets up events with them (such as the inter-fansite tournament), but as for moderating staff - it's not really part of our job and I can't say I've ever been involved with another fansite.

• jimmy_jim: I've had chats with a few different staff on other fansites, they're all awesome people.

• Quikdrawjoe: I used to be a pretty active member of RSC's Clan Discussion but other than that no. Course I could call it RSC's Troll Discussion now. :P

• strilmus: The other fansites make my eyes bleed. Then my browser explodes. So, no.

[/hide]

[hide=Q: If runescape ever died Where would you all run off to?]

• stevepole: Off-Topic! :wink:

• Mirror: I've been a part of a forum since I started on the internet as a kid. Going from a trading card forum to a runescape forum, it's been what I was interested in at the time. Now that my interests are different, I'd probably go to a filming forum. But I'd definitely grab some contact information from certain people so I don't lose touch.

• Racheya: I'd run off to Puzzle Pirates, most likely! It was the MMO that I played a lot around 2006-ish. I joined Runescape in 04, I think, but only played a little then, and returned a few years ago in 07. It's a great MMO, one that actually requires a lot of skill, but I think I do prefer Runescape in the end. I still go on Puzzle Pirates now and again but since I'm actually paying for RS I don't like becoming too involved with Puzzle Pirates.

• jimmy_jim: StellarDawn!

• Quikdrawjoe: Reading, I used to read about one to two books per day.

• strilmus: Perhaps you should ask yourself what the terrible circumstances would be in order for that to happen in the first place. This would be the least of our problems.

• Kimberly: XBL. There's always time for zombie killin'.

• Toad: Outside!

[/hide]

[hide=Q: What is the most annoying part about being a moderator out of these 3 - dealing with advertisement spam (i.e the ad posts that show up in General Discussion every so often), dealing with morons who can't read the rules to save their life, or dealing with trolls?]

• stevepole: Adbots are the easiest because it's a pretty standard process. Dealing with folks who don't read the rules/troll (usually the same thing) are pretty easy too, basically you tell them to stop and they do and if they don't and continue to misbehave they usually get sent on some sort of timeout. I can't really say I find anything harder then the next, though, you eventually get used to everything and dealing with things becomes pretty routine.

• Mirror: Spambots are easy to deal with to me, because I don't see them as regular people. Now users, are much harder to deal with because they can reason. Those users who don't understand the rules, it's easy to show them where they are at and help answer any questions. Trolls, well to be honest, I don't understand how to Troll. So I just let them be and not "feed" them. I guess I would say Trolls, just because I don't know how to spot one, nor do I care much. I'd rather just continue the discussion.

• Racheya: I'd say it's a bit of a tie between people who can't read the rules, and trolls. Trolls can be particularly persistent and annoying to deal with, but people who can't (or refuse) to read the rules are worse in a way since they may not understand what's wrong with what they've done and not listen to warnings. It's not so much trolls, or people who can't read, just stubborn people that refuse to understand. Of course, this isn't a common thing - a lot of our users are great :)

• jimmy_jim: I don't get too annoyed while moderating, the only thing that sometimes irks me is when 5+ people have commented on a advertisement spam thread with things like "inb4ban" without reporting the thread.

• Quikdrawjoe: Tough one, I'd have to say the trolls because they know what they're doing but choose to do it anyway.

• strilmus: Spam and trolls are open and shut cases. Morons persist for long periods of time and never have a definitive resolution if they space their lapses of judgment far enough apart so that they avoid any real punishment. You can't really tell if they're aware of what they're doing or if it's just that they're really, really stupid, which is apparently not against the rules. Humph.
    Course, if you're doing that on PURPOSE and we find out, then its curtains.

[/hide]

[hide=Q: Why do you stay active on these boards. In other words, what allures you here?]

• stevepole: I can easily say the community keeps me here. No question about it.

• Mirror: It's the people. Plain and simple as that. If I didn't have a connection to this place, I wouldn't bother logging in every day. But I love working with these people and for those that see my work. New people come through our doors every day, and old people leave. It's a new place every day, but that adds to the dynamic of the forums, for it is every changing, just like Runescape changes with every passing update.

• Racheya: The community. When I found Tip.It, I had no 'forum home' like I'd had for many years. I'd just started playing Runescape again and I was drawn in with TET events - then stayed for the forums and the great community that's here. I've made a lot of friends and I just enjoy being here. I don't see myself leaving any time soon, although when University starts I may well have to cut down on my time here.

• jimmy_jim: RuneScape lured me here originally, even though I'm not as active these days I still enjoy reading the topics.

• Quikdrawjoe: The community, I like that I can have an intelligent discussion with people from all over the globe.

• strilmus: Mostly it's because this is the only RS board I actually enjoy going to.

• Kimberly: Probably the same thing that brought everyone to this site at one point or another...runescape!

• Toad: It's honestly part of who I am these days, I've used it since my early teens and I'm way past those now. I like it mainly because there's always something going on, we all have our own perspective and there are many people I have high respect for here.
    I don't see changing anytime soon.

[/hide]

[hide=Q: What's your favorite sport, or are we all stereotypical geeks/nerds with no athletic prowess?]

• stevepole: I like a lot of sports but my top three are basketball, soccer, and cycling easily. I played basketball and soccer my entire life growing up and I ride my single speed everywhere and just use my truck if I'm going to the grocery store or somewhere really far away.

• Mirror: I personally played Basketball and Baseball while in school, but after graduation, I sprained my ankle to the point of breaking. My ankle hasn't been the same since, so I can't physically put the strain on it that I used to with sports, so now I have moved into the coaching aspect. I coached a Little League Baseball team, and got 1st place in my division, 3rd place in the city. We did so well, we got to got to a Major League game to celebrate our "wins" from the city donating tickets to us. That's been a highlight in my coaching career so far, now I am hoping to get into the Basketball coaching scene. I just have to find parents willing to let me coach their kids. :)

• Racheya: I don't really enjoy WATCHING much sport, and I don't get a chance to play much either. I'm a whimpy, 18 year old girl with Asthma so... not the athletic type. But I've always enjoyed playing pretty much any sport. Cricket, Football and Badminton mainly. I suppose I'm thinking back to my PE lessons at Secondary. I like just giving sports a go, but I've not played any in a very long time.

• jimmy_jim: Cricketttttttt

• Quikdrawjoe: I used to play soccer(football) in High School but other than that not really into sports. I do watch college football though. :P

• strilmus: I'm horrifically bad at sports, and it's not because of a lack of physical potential.

• Kimberly: I'm pretty damn good at golf, but I'm crap at everything else.

• Toad: European Football, I watch it every time it's on in the background. I couldn't live without it, I haven't played it in a while though.

[/hide]

[hide=Q: How fast do you type? Years of working on Tipit must make you amazing typists, correct?]

• stevepole: I don't know I haven't done one of those word counting test since high school but I probably linger around 70wpm but I am a bad spelling so I'll usually slow myself down to make sure I get everything spelled correct.

• Mirror: My typing skills have definitely improved from my time here on the forums and Runescape. I've looked at my old posts, and I've gone from no punctuation marks or capitalization, to full sentences to offer up my opinions and ideas to my peers. Being in my last year of University, it helps that I can type this well on those papers they are always asking me for. It also annoys my friends when I send out full length text messages withour saying "Where R U?" I can't stand putting in letters for words like that! Haha!

• Racheya: I type very fast, faster than my mother who actually 'learned' to type. I've had this ability before I came to Tif though, years on the internet typing out forum posts has indeed made me a good typer.

• jimmy_jim: Not really :(

• Quikdrawjoe: Not sure but fast enough. I think being on the computer and typing papers has made faster than Tip.It would have.

• strilmus: I've only been here several months. I type fast enough regardless. We're past the digital age already. Anybody born after a certain point knows how to type in their souls.

• Kimberly: I'm a fair typist, but I was even before Tip.it. Coding will do that to you. (But I don't code anymore because I hate it :()

• Toad: I haven't been staff all that long really, but I've been around computers since a very early age, I grew up sharing a computer with my 2 sisters but when I type steam comes off the keyboard. My friends always made me type up their homework :P

[/hide]

[hide=Q: Do you guys ever get drunk and go crazy on tip it forums (Moderating posting etc)?]

• stevepole: I'll post sometimes if I'm drunk, I never moderate if I'm drunk though. Most times though, tip.it is the last thing on my mind if I'm coming home from a night out.

• Racheya: I don't get drunk - so no. But I have moderated while sleep deprived before... and to be honest I can't remember how it worked out XD

• jimmy_jim: If I've come home after having a few drinks the last thing I'll do is turn the computer on to browse Tip.It :grin:

• Quikdrawjoe: Give me access to your forums and I will. #

• strilmus: Can't get drunk safely. However, I believe I already have the crazy part covered quite well, thank you.

• Kimberly: It's funny that you say that because I turned 21 on the 20th...nah, just kidding. No, I personally don't.

[/hide]

[hide=Q: To all PoorLepRecon's: What do you love MOST about being a Forum Games moderator?]

[/hide]

Your Moderators In-Game

• [hide=Group Photo]Mod_Spotlight_Photo.png[/hide]

Did You Know?

• If you want to contact a moderator with an issue/question with a certain forum, it is best to choose a moderator whose name is listed at the bottom of the page under "Forum Led By."

• Every post that's "deleted" is archived so the staff always know about any past infractions. Kind of like Santa Claus, we know if you've been good or bad.

• You can report private messages! Just like when reporting posts, click the "Report" button on the bottom left of the private message.

Sneak Peak

• [hide=Sneak Peak!]Mod_Spotlight_forum.png[/hide]

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Great read, very interesting! TET/Admins/Crew spotlight coming later I suppose or that's all?

You can read the TET one here. :)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

One last question, why does Quickdrawjoe add a "#" sign after every post? :unsure:

Other than that, fantastic read. I was really happy that you guys did this, it gave us all an opportunity to find out how things work (to a certain extent). Appreciate it. ;) Keep up the great work guys!

One last question, why does Quickdrawjoe add a "#" sign after every post? :unsure:

Send me $100.00 USD and I'll tell you. <3:

It was really interesting to read everyone's answers. The pictures that Kim provided made it feel like I was reading a picture book, so it was really helpful. :shades:

Or I can give you a hug and you tell me anyway.

Interesting read. Shame about the 'How much do you work with Jagex' question (I guess there were reasons behind it, but meh)

If you mean the fact that the question wasn't answered - only the questions directed at the moderator team were answered in this spotlight. The ones directed at crew will be answered in a Crew Spotlight and the ones directed at admins will be answered in an Admin Spotlight. Most questions about Jagex are for admins to answer :)

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

Interesting read ^^ lol at some of the questions posted there.

What's next, Crewbie Spotlight or Admin Spotlight?

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

What's next, Crewbie Spotlight or Admin Spotlight?

Not sure yet :P Both are being worked on!

Posted Image

Other than that, fantastic read. I was really happy that you guys did this, it gave us all an opportunity to find out how things work (to a certain extent). Appreciate it. ;) Keep up the great work guys!

It's something from my clan, for all intents and purposes it's like lol or :P

65495229.png

With love to one, friendship to many, and good will to all.

It's something from my clan, for all intents and purposes it's like lol or :P

You mean something like this? hash.png

j0xPu5R.png