Magical Blastbox, not as useless as once thought.

Pretzel

Hi guys, I found out recently that, either due to a hidden update or a glitch, it appears the magical blastbox has about a 10-20% chance of inflicting an extra 25% damage. This would make it all up about an extra 2.5-5% extra damage over time, making it roughly equivalent to the gravite staff in power!

I personally haven't seen this effect, but it this topic

QuickFind Code 15,16,754,61653861

and this rune wiki article

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Magical_blastbox

both appear to show this effect.

Being f2p, this makes my decision on which to obtain out of blastbox and tome of frost much harder. Tome of frost has the higher bonuses, as well as infinite water runes for very cheap training with either curses or water bolts, but on the other hand, the slightly lesser bonuses of the blastbox may be outdone by it's higher damage potential, leading to a greater xp per hour rate. It also saves 1 air rune per cast of either fire bolt or fire blast, for the record, as well as making pvp for mages much less dangerous as the box both holds all your main runes and protects over most other mage gear, I would be curious to see whether it can be used for places like fist of guthix and other safe pvp.

What do you guys think about this? Do you think it was an intentional hidden update, despite the kb not saying anything about it, or do you think it's a glitch. Also, do you think that it now is worth its cost of 40k tokens, (at least for f2p, probably not for p2p)?

As I've put in a later post, I bought it, tried it and confirmed that it does indeed work - the boost appears in a separate splat bubble and all.

resizeofuntitledff4.png

Free to Player fo' life!

99/99 skateboarding :p

why dont you use this awesome thing i like to call common sense. Its done wonders for me, ive never been hacked, scammed or anything like that.

I'd use it over the tome of frost, but it wouldn't be high up on my list of things to buy.

Why?

Blastbox = normal mage whihc is kinda weak anyway and even then its not the best spells

Tome of Frost = Cheaper Ice Magic with sol or w/e for epic damage increase

Ice mage beats blasts in like every situation going.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I'd use it over the tome of frost, but it wouldn't be high up on my list of things to buy.

Why?

Blastbox = normal mage whihc is kinda weak anyway and even then its not the best spells

Being f2p

Thats why.

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

Why?

Being f2p

Thats why.

True in a f2p context it is prob better.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Does the blast box work in Fist of Guthix?

If so, maybe I'll give it a shot. Maybe.

*is heavily leaned towards tome of frost instead*

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Does the blast box work in Fist of Guthix?

If so, maybe I'll give it a shot. Maybe.

*is heavily leaned towards tome of frost instead*

I kind of agree with this, fist of guthix is one area I would really like some extra damage. The 10 mage attack probably won't do a whole lot with the tome of frost vs the 5 mage + 10% change of 25% extra damage. I'm actually really considering buying the blastbox because of this bonus, I have 40500 token at the moment, so it's fairly tempting. I'm just a little wary of this because if it turns out it was indeed a glitch and it gets fixed, then I'll be rather unhappy with my purchase of a useless box compared to the tome.

resizeofuntitledff4.png

Free to Player fo' life!

why dont you use this awesome thing i like to call common sense. Its done wonders for me, ive never been hacked, scammed or anything like that.

Another Game Guide fail. Yeesh. That makes what, a bajillion now?

a bajillion trillion.

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

Another Game Guide fail. Yeesh. That makes what, a bajillion now?

a bajillion trillion.

And five.

Honestly, I still can't see it being too useful. Tome of Frost is cool, has nice bonuses, and free waters are nice, but water runes are cheap enough anyway. When you look at a Rock Lobsters trip, the deaths cost 3m, the bloods cost 3m, and the waters cost...500k? 600k? It dims in comparison, and I'd rather not waste my tokens on it.

In f2p, curses and water spells are terrible for training and range/melee does more damage on all NPCs. In a PvP situation, if you are maging, you probably wouldn't give a rat's tail about cost anyway.

Now on the Blastbox, it's not terribly useful either. Nice to have, I suppose, but if it's only averaging to 3% or so boost in damage, is it really worth it? It would probably be better to equip an Anti-Dragon shield or something in PvP for the defense in f2p. In p2p, well, that 3% is overshadowed by stuff like SoL, Arcane Stream, etc.

The truly interesting thing I find about this discovery lies in the fact that Jagex plans to release further variants of the Blastbox, ones that can hold bloods, etc. Would those boxes have even better damage increases?

Alright, so I bit the bullet here and decided to buy it. I can CONFIRM (!) that it does do the extra damage. The extra damage appears in a little separate splat bubble just to let you know it's worked. I couldn't tell whether it worked in fog though, although it does let you take your own runes, once the box is charged with them, so be careful, you'll lose your own runes if you don't empty it. You can't charge it using the fog runes so I would assume the extra damage doesn't work there. All in all, I'm actually quite happy with this. The extra damage occurs just often enough to make it worthwhile, more so than the slight attack boost and water runes that the tome of frost provides. I could definately see this being used to great effect in pvp, although I would agree that for the price neither of the tome of frost or blastbox are hugely useful, but I think that the blastbox has a slight edge in f2p at least.

resizeofuntitledff4.png

Free to Player fo' life!

Alright, so I bit the bullet here and decided to buy it. I can CONFIRM (!) that it does do the extra damage. The extra damage appears in a little separate splat bubble just to let you know it's worked. I couldn't tell whether it worked in fog though, although it does let you take your own runes, once the box is charged with them, so be careful, you'll lose your own runes if you don't empty it. You can't charge it using the fog runes so I would assume the extra damage doesn't work there. All in all, I'm actually quite happy with this. The extra damage occurs just often enough to make it worthwhile, more so than the slight attack boost and water runes that the tome of frost provides. I could definately see this being used to great effect in pvp, although I would agree that for the price neither of the tome of frost or blastbox are hugely useful, but I think that the blastbox has a slight edge in f2p at least.

I want it for F2P clan wars. I got already a blast neckace and gravite staff, with this box added i could blast like the deathstar. :thumbsup:

160 x 0.10 = 16

160 x 0.05 = 8

160 x 0.25 = 40

---------------------------

160 + 16 + 8 + 40 = 224

greedy44.png

I want it for F2P clan wars. I got already a blast neckace and gravite staff, with this box added i could blast like the deathstar. :thumbsup:

160 x 0.10 = 16

160 x 0.05 = 8

160 x 0.25 = 40

---------------------------

160 + 16 + 8 + 40 = 224

Just remember that it is only about a 10-20% chance of scoring the extra hit, although I would pay to see the look on someone's face when you hit a 184 max, backed up with an extra 46 damage (The damage is in a separate splat bubble, so I'm fairly certain it's calculated after whatever you hit, especially noticable when it I hit something and killed it the extra damage was less because it was added after the main hit I suppose)

resizeofuntitledff4.png

Free to Player fo' life!

I heard this on the RSOF, but wasn't sure if it was true. Seeing as it is, I'm pretty excited for the wave/surge box! Blastbox honestly doesn't have much a use to me, but I can see how useful it is for non-members.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Is it 25% over 160 or over 184 if you have gravite staff + blast neck?

184 x 1.25 = 230 max damage

I can't wait to test this. :rolleyes:

The box also works for bolt spells (see dungeoneer manual) and maybe crumble undead. More tests needed.

greedy44.png

Base damage: 160

+15% from staff + neck: 184

+9% from mind bomb: 200.56

+25% (bonus hit): 200.56 + 50.14

So, erm, ko power?

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

So, erm, ko power?

The catalytic staff gives inside dungeoneer floors 15%, the gravite staff gives 5% extra damage outside dungeoneer.

But still pretty hefty in 1 vs 1 fights.

greedy44.png

if the surge box does this aswell... look out ice strykewyrms, your about to get royally pwnt.

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

So, erm, ko power?

i believe it would be

5% from staff

10% from necklace

9% from mind bomb

25% from box