Should American football be renamed handegg?

The_Gabe

104 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the name of the sport?

• Football
    • Handegg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok...kind of hard to follow, calling yourself out as a troll. lol

trolololol

Well, when you (EDIT: not you, specifically) start a troll thread and no one else sees fit to lock it, what else can you do but join in and have some within-the-rules fun eh.

But please let's continue discussing armor-plated american football!

hzvjpwS.gif

So, remind me again, what do you play with in rugby?

A rugby ball? But once again Rugby is know and as Rugby Football sometimes, for example ORFU (Otago Rugby Football Union), but other times it isn't. Like NZRU (New Zealand Rugby Union).

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU its not a ball, its an egg. We should call rugby scrambled hand egg ball because rugby isn't played on mats, and the players get worse injuries.

Also, I'm sure that everyone can agree that scrambled hand egg ball would lead to less confusion than ORFU and NZRU.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

So, remind me again, what do you play with in rugby?

A rugby ball? But once again Rugby is know and as Rugby Football sometimes, for example ORFU (Otago Rugby Football Union), but other times it isn't. Like NZRU (New Zealand Rugby Union).

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU its not a ball, its an egg. We should call rugby scrambled hand egg ball because rugby isn't played on mats, and the players get worse injuries.

Also, I'm sure that everyone can agree that scrambled hand egg ball would lead to less confusion than ORFU and NZRU.

It isn't played on mats? Why would you play on mats? It's played on turf, like most other outdoor ball sports. And I think someone has already pointed out, balls are not perfectly spherical by definition. :rolleyes:

I don't see why you're trying to parody what I said, I was never trying argue for OP's point.

rosssigfinal.jpg

Let's call actual football 'football', American football 'American football', and rename hockey to 'Canadian football'.

Because when hockey is called football, it makes just as much sense as when handegg is called football, right?

And then we have Australian football.

It isn't played on mats? Why would you play on mats? It's played on turf, like most other outdoor ball sports.

If it isn't played on mats, I don't understand why they call it rugby

♪♪ And I'm not done

Nobody has responded to me yet...soccer is played with a truncated icosahedron so why should it be called football?

Should be called foottruncatedicosahedron.

As the OP so kindly stated, a ball is a sphere. Theres nothing spherical about a truncated icosahedron.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Nobody has responded to me yet...soccer is played with a truncated icosahedron so why should it be called football?

Should be called foottruncatedicosahedron.

As the OP so kindly stated, a ball is a sphere. Theres nothing spherical about a truncated icosahedron.

A lep is a ball. Remember this now, a lep is a ball.

♪♪ And I'm not done

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Real men don't wear full body padding.

Be my guest, see how long you last in the NFL at any position other than kicker without pads or a helmet. Bet you'll break a couple bones.

♪♪ And I'm not done

Be my guest, see how long you last in the NFL at any position other than kicker without pads or a helmet. Bet you'll break a couple bones.

Rugby players seem to do alright.

Sincerely,

Please refer to the bottom left of the screen:

y2ZGm.png

:-| Completely missed the point of my post...

keen.png

Sincerely,

Please refer to the bottom left of the screen:

y2ZGm.png

:-| Completely missed the point of my post...

no, you missed the point of his post. His point is that the USA has it's own English now :rolleyes:

2203069_Fallout-3-Signature-Feel-Free-To-Use_620.jpg

Rugby players don't bash together for a snap like in American Football, they push each other in a scrum. The game isn't intermittent as well, so you don't get players sprinting for every play. Rugby players are also conditioned to get rid of the ball before they get tackled, unlike American Football were players hold on for dear life.

Also, I'd consider hockey players to be real men.

♪♪ And I'm not done

You do know that Rugby was named after the school in England where it originated? Well actually you probably weren't. And Rugby player's are not conditioned to get rid of the ball before they get tackled, you clearly don't have a good understanding of the game.

Tackling is a huge part of the game, and many forwards employ a direct running style, where they attack around the fringes of rucks to try and get over the advantage line.

Anway if, you want want a really hard sport, take rugby league. There you have big forwards who smashing into each other.

rosssigfinal.jpg

I respect rugby, football, and hockey players equally. Anyone who things football/hockey players are wimps for using pads has obviously never played either sport.

I think what sees_all is trying to say is that the nature of rugby is different such as while it's a hugely physical sport (I played it regularly for two years), the amount of passing that goes on means that collisions are not the same as they are in football (which I agree with).

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I think what sees_all is trying to say is that the nature of rugby is different such as while it's a hugely physical sport (I played it regularly for two years), the amount of passing that goes on means that collisions are not the same as they are in football (which I agree with).

Yep.

Not trying to detract from rugby, my older brother played it for 6 years. As an American, I'd say I have much more experience with it than 98% of all other Americans. I can't cite the rules to you chapter and verse, but I do understand the basics of the game.

Tackling in Rugby is much different than tackling in American Football. Also, there is no offensive blocking in rugby, seeing as this would be offsides. From what I've seen, these rules lead to less non-ball handler collisions between teams.

I still vote for rugby to be called scrambled hand-egg. :wink:

♪♪ And I'm not done

Yeah, I think we have have veered a bit off topic, but yes, you can only tackle the ball carried, otherwise it's just a professional foul.

And back on topic, different countries and regions have different meanings for the same words, so it should be no surprise they should have different names.

rosssigfinal.jpg