What book are you currently reading?

sees_all1

I saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 last night which has made me want to reread the book.... so that's what I'm currently reading ;)

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Peter Hamilton's The Reality Dysfunction, it's a 1200 page Space Opera Sci-Fi epic; it's better than it sounds! About 1/3rd of the way in, and it's good, if very descriptive at times ;)

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

I just finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, by Mark Haddon, and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was.

My little brother was (and currently still is) woefully unaware of the wonders of SF and Fantasy, so I read the Hobbit to him, and I have to say that it was even better the fourth (?) time around.

Currently: Mhttp://www.amazon.com/Book-Bush-George-leads-America/dp/0670032735

Within the week (hopefully): http://www.amazon.com/Bartimaeus-Ring-Solomon-Jonathan-Stroud/dp/1423123727

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

Currently reading Red Storm Rising, by Tom Clancy.

It'd be better if I weren't on such a tight deadline. Or maybe it's not a tight deadline, that's the problem. I had to pick a book to read by "the end of the quarter", and picked this small print, 724 page monster by accident. I just decided "The challenge is accepted", and went with it. But I have no idea when "the end of the quarter" is, and at a pace of around 200 pages a week starting last week, I'm not sure if I'm making good time, or if I'm not even close. :blink:

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

I finished State of Fear by Crichton earlier this week, now on Next, also by him during my breaks. A bit more than halfway through that one.

At the same time, The Fist of God by Frederick Forsyth when I'm at home and not doing anything else.

The first one I think is the fastest I've ever read. Finished the 650ish page book in 3-4 hours. Read it before, but appreciated it much more this time. Same with the second. Would also recommend them as political books, because in spite of any potential bad science (Which I'm not going to bother to look up to check, they raise good points about the interactions between the media, legal system, and science.

Lost Symbol is pretty epic.

Finished up Brave New World, wrote the paper on it. My mom picked up the newest Ranger's Apprentice book (don't remember title, #7 I think) and I'm going to start that soonish.

Also reading Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead in AP Lit.

Yeah I loved the Lost Symbol. All of his books are epic :mrgreen: I'm tempted to reread them now.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

Taking a break from science fiction/political [cabbage] with Calvin and Hobbes. I have a lot of those anthologies and it's been years since I read them.

And it's awesome.

:thumbup:

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Recently finished Dracula, Huck Finn, Notes from Underground.

Started browsing through a music history textbook (which got me to spend entire afternoons on some expressionist stuff), decided to read the Theif Lord again before I recommend it to my little brother, and am currently reading Red Dragon by Thomas Harris. It gets a little gruesome because of the way it asks you to identify with the main character and he identifies with serial killers, but I've read similar stuff before. I've liked it so far. I haven't gotten far enough to see any real motifs, but I'm excited to see where he'll go with it.

The Case for Christ, by Lee Strobel.

Just finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, by Mark Haddon. (For English class, although it was pretty good.)

I think I'll read Fight Club next, and then watch the movie. (Have yet to do either, although both seem to be highly recommended.)

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Finished Red Dragon last night. It was good. I look forward to Silence of the Lambs, which I'll probably get for Christmas.

I'll also ask for Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut and Stephen King's autobiography.

What is everyone's favorite Stephen King book? I've read The Shining and It, and I'm not sure which I'd like to read when I next get the chance.

I just finished Wee Free Men by Pratchet (I've read it before, but it's been a while).

Their swords glow blue in the presence of lawyers.

My siblings love prachet. Never like him much though.

Just read God is not great - How Religion poisons everything, The coming generational storm, and a bunch of boring technical books. Next on my list is The Rage Against God - How athiesm led me to faith.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I just reread Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone :D I guess onto HP2 now.

Posted Image

HP spoiler:

Harry Potter

[hide=spoiler]

is a wizard :twss:

[/hide]

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Finished A Clockwork Orange (by Anthony Burgess) a while ago, and enjoyed it a lot. It's nice to read a dystopian novel focusing on the characters for a change.

And now for something completely different, I read How to See Yourself As You Really Are by Tenzin Gyatso. Let's see how this goes.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

I started Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets last night :lol: I should finish it tonight if I get enough time in.

Posted Image

Tripsis, I'm reading Harry Potter for the first time right now. I'm currently on the third one. I'm trying to read through them before the eighth movie comes out.

And to anyone who cares, I haven't watched the movies either. I decided my plan of attack is Movie, Book, Movie, Book, because that way I wouldn't be disappointed by the movies and appreciate the books still because it fills all the cracks the movies left out. It's been working for me so far, if only I could have more time to read...

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

Hard to believe that you haven't read them or seen the movies :lol: But movie first and book second is a good way to go about it. That's what I always recommend for any book that has been turned into a movie if you want to enjoy them both.

Posted Image

What is everyone's favorite Stephen King book? I've read The Shining and It, and I'm not sure which I'd like to read when I next get the chance.

I've only read The Dark Tower series by King. It was good overall, but it definitely had its low points. 1st book good, 2nd great, 3rd meh, 4th backstory, 5th pretty boring, 6th meh, 7th pretty good. Hell of an ending, as well.

My mom (a big reader) recommends The Stand. Whenever Stephen King comes up, she always avidly suggests that one.