An Elitist's View on Crashing

TheAncient

Because in that scenario, I'm just being rude

TBH you're being rude anyway. You can't judge someone solely on their levels.

If someone is at a spot, you should just leave them to it and hop/go to a different spot. I like to think that people are courteous to each other, whether they be higher or lower leveled.

That's naive. At many bosses, there ARE no empty spots. You HAVE to crash if you want a world.

td2sig.jpg

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In real life, cutting in line, or kicking someone off the swings without waiting is bad manners. In game, not only is it allowed by Jagex, but encouraged. There is a difference. I don't crash to be a jerk, people crash me the same way if they can. However, I don't cannon people's chins, heal people DHing, or otherwise be a jerk on purpose. There is a difference.

[citation needed]

Look at Omali's signature. It can loosely be taken to mean such.

Nevermind, he seems to have removed it at some point. I believe it was Mod Mark saying get big or go home.

What most people don't care to acknowledge or simply don't care about is that RuneScape is an MMORPG. There's a community of other players. JaGEx would be effectively contradicting itself to encourage crashing while also telling us to play nice and hosting community events to "make the game environment a friendlier place."...

Unfortunately, very many people play this game as though it were single-player. I would say that these are the people that give high level players their negative stereotype of being aggressive, cold, or mean. Subconsciously or not, they know that they've spent a very long time gaining those higher levels, and they regret it, making them bitter and jaded. However, it goes full circle, because they also feel like they've invested too much time playing to simply leave, and so they keep playing anyway.

Point: Crashing weakens the sense of a friendly community, but most of the people that do it couldn't really care less about making new friends anyway.

2dgucz6.png

If someone is at a spot, you should just leave them to it and hop/go to a different spot. I like to think that people are courteous to each other, whether they be higher or lower leveled.

That's naive. At many bosses, there ARE no empty spots. You HAVE to crash if you want a world.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that PvP worlds are usually empty. So, ugh, no you don't have to crash.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that PvP worlds are usually empty. So, ugh, no you don't have to crash.

Because I SOOO Want to go take a world with 600 pop, and risk 650m+ everytime I MH. (No grave stones and skulled)

Subconsciously or not, they know that they've spent a very long time gaining those higher levels, and they regret it, making them bitter and jaded.

Oh gosh... LOL

Honestly, I don't care about random people. They can hop, takes them 45 seconds. I'l be nice too, blessing etc, and when I'm not Mhing, but for Mhing, its cut throat.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Because I SOOO Want to go take a world with 600 pop, and risk 650m+ everytime I MH. (No grave stones and skulled)

Still doesn't change the fact that you don't have to crash because you can find an empty world ;)

Also, I have the urge to mention something about risk vs. reward.

(And W18 is pretty populated.)

Edit: Also, I'm pretty dumb for the above in parentheses <_<

I'd rather not risk 650m, and kill you or make you hop, then for me to risk 650m. Hell, I'd rather you die and lose 50m then I die and lose 10m, although I'll probably bless.

Stonewall337.png
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)

In essence, I know I'll get flamed on it, but I crash because its more expedient for me. At DKS, I'll hop 3 times max. At Bandos, until I find an easy to crash world, or an empty one. At TDs, until I see someone either epic failing, or using one of the two TDS I double lure.

Stonewall337.png

Wow, I have no response to "why can't you just use a PVP world? You don't HAVE to crash!" That's the most idiotic, asinine, naive, shortsighted post I've read on this thread yet. Why someone would choose to potentially risk several hundreds of millions worth of gear (and for slower spawns, no less) just to give 1337cowkiller his shot at a hilt is beyond me. Is it a nice thing to do? Oh, absolutely -- that's a Christ-like act of kindness right there, but it's 120% [developmentally delayed]ed.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Still doesn't change the fact that you don't have to crash because you can find an empty world ;)

Also, I have the urge to mention something about risk vs. reward.

(And W18 is pretty populated.)

Edit: Also, I'm pretty dumb for the above in parentheses <_<

Why are you telling this to the elite players. Why not tell this to the noobs who are against crashers. :rolleyes:

Because the noobs aren't the ones stating how impossible it is to find an empty world :rolleyes:.

Wow, I have no response to "why can't you just use a PVP world? You don't HAVE to crash!" That's the most idiotic, asinine, naive, shortsighted post I've read on this thread yet. Why someone would choose to potentially risk several hundreds of millions worth of gear (and for slower spawns, no less) just to give 1337cowkiller his shot at a hilt is beyond me. Is it a nice thing to do? Oh, absolutely -- that's a Christ-like act of kindness right there, but it's 120% [developmentally delayed]ed.

You won't die, though. You're elite, remember?

On a more serious note, though, I'm just pointing out the fact that, contrary to popular belief, every world isn't jam packed with people and that you don't have to crash to be able to MH. Whether or not you consider the avenue you have to take to make it so a viable option is kind of immaterial.

Don't think anyone said the "elite" don't die. Maybe we don't die as often, but some things (Power outages, world lags out, DC's, etc) are indiscriminate of levels.

Also, don't think anyone said that it was always 100% impossible to find a free world, sometimes its easy. Other times it isn't. I suppose I could always hop until someone leaves, but why should I spend an hour everytime I want to MH? Sorry, I don't care THAT much about you.

Here is a challenge. This friday, go to bandos, both LS and non LS worlds. Go to 50, or even 20 worlds. Tell me how many worlds with over 1k pop are free, ok?

Stonewall337.png

On a more serious note, though, I'm just pointing out the fact that, contrary to popular belief, every world isn't jam packed with people and that you don't have to crash to be able to MH. Whether or not you consider the avenue you have to take to make it so a viable option is kind of immaterial.

How in the world can you consider such an integral facet of MHing to be immaterial? Your arguments are unreasonable have no basis in reality. Like Stonewall said, there is a possibility of dying outside of PVP worlds, which is pretty significant in itself. Dying in a PVP world? GF you just lost months of your life making the money for that equipment (or in some cases, you just lost nigh-irreplaceable equipment [EG: a divine spirit shield]).

Your argument is tantamount to telling someone to ask Donald Trump for 10 million dollars. It's not a viable option, but that's immaterial! Surely they can still ask, right?!

Right . . . ?

dgs5.jpg

It all seems to boil down to (from the last few posts at least) how much somebody cares about themselves over others. Which in effect is the driving force in determining how good a games community is. Those who just care about themselves and not about others will crash immediately. Those who care about evenly will probably hop a few times and maybe be forced to crash. Those who are overly caring will never get a chance due to everybody else caring about themselves more.

It all comes down to how friendly the runescape community is at the current point. Currently, it is very bad when in situations involving lots of money. It also seems to be a snowball, as it forces others to have to care about themselves more over others.

Before people tell me that we should care about ourselves first, I agree. However, would caring about others more benefit us as well? If enough people cared to improve the community, wouldn't people have an easier time finding a world and not being crashed? This in turn could improve the whole atmosphere of the game. But that will never happen with a large user base of teenagers.

A perfect solution in my mind would be to instance all bosses. As a bonus it would devalue all the boss drops which are massively overvalued by bringing more into circulation which if you had read a recent thread on botters would decrease MH profits which is something which in my opinion needs doing.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

It all seems to boil down to (from the last few posts at least) how much somebody cares about themselves over others. Which in effect is the driving force in determining how good a games community is. Those who just care about themselves and not about others will crash immediately. Those who care about evenly will probably hop a few times and maybe be forced to crash. Those who are overly caring will never get a chance due to everybody else caring about themselves more.

It all comes down to how friendly the runescape community is at the current point. Currently, it is very bad when in situations involving lots of money. It also seems to be a snowball, as it forces others to have to care about themselves more over others.

Before people tell me that we should care about ourselves first, I agree. However, would caring about others more benefit us as well? If enough people cared to improve the community, wouldn't people have an easier time finding a world and not being crashed? This in turn could improve the whole atmosphere of the game. But that will never happen with a large user base of teenagers.

A perfect solution in my mind would be to instance all bosses. As a bonus it would devalue all the boss drops which are massively overvalued by bringing more into circulation which if you had read a recent thread on botters would decrease MH profits which is something which in my opinion needs doing.

But it's not an issue of respect. Quite simply, there is not enough to go around. There's a very small number of non-LS worlds and a very large number of players who want to use them. No amount of respect can change this. Caring for the community and being respectful of one another will not magically create more non-LS worlds.

As far as instancing bosses, that's not a good idea for the bosses we have now. They're too easy to farm. MHing is profitable because it takes a very long time to accumulate the levels and gear to do it effectively, not to mention the ever present chance of death by some freak cause (which is not uncommon). The profits from MHing do not need to change. What we need is a plethora of new bosses (some instanced, some not) that will spread the population around, which will help to eliminate the need to crash.

dgs5.jpg

If playing rs more means you have less of a life, why not quit. That way no one will crash you and you have more of a life.

Waits for the imminent

"I'm 6 ft 5 with a supermodel girlfriend and i like have lots of friends and like a life and your just some sad nerd gtfo"

O.O

But it's not an issue of respect. Quite simply, there is not enough to go around. There's a very small number of non-LS worlds and a very large number of players who want to use them. No amount of respect can change this. Caring for the community and being respectful of one another will not magically create more non-LS worlds.

As far as instancing bosses, that's not a good idea for the bosses we have now. They're too easy to farm. MHing is profitable because it takes a very long time to accumulate the levels and gear to do it effectively, not to mention the ever present chance of death by some freak cause (which is not uncommon). The profits from MHing do not need to change. What we need is a plethora of new bosses (some instanced, some not) that will spread the population around, which will help to eliminate the need to crash.

The second point i'm not going to argue here because I think it was discussed to death in the 'intelligent perspective on bots thread'.

If you knew you had no chance of being crashed, would you be willing to wait about 5 minutes for the previous person at a boss to finish however? Especially if they are lower levelled, they probably wouldn't be there for long. That is what I am getting at, however I know it would only happen in a perfect community which will never happen.

How about, if once one person (or clan chat group) is inside a boss room, no more people would be able to enter and pass the door. To stop people from camping in tank gear without killing 'for the lulz' they would have to do x amount of damage or kill in x amount of time before being booted from the room. It would force people to wait and even team with others waiting, which in turn would let them compete within themselves for kills inside a clan chat. Not a perfect solution and many will argue that it would just slow the whole thing down and that they deserve to be able to crash (even though many have argued nobody deserves anything) but it would totally solve the issue of crashing.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

The second point i'm not going to argue here because I think it was discussed to death in the 'intelligent perspective on bots thread'.

If you knew you had no chance of being crashed, would you be willing to wait about 5 minutes for the previous person at a boss to finish however? Especially if they are lower levelled, they probably wouldn't be there for long. That is what I am getting at, however I know it would only happen in a perfect community which will never happen.

How about, if once one person (or clan chat group) is inside a boss room, no more people would be able to enter and pass the door. To stop people from camping in tank gear without killing 'for the lulz' they would have to do x amount of damage or kill in x amount of time before being booted from the room. It would force people to wait and even team with others waiting, which in turn would let them compete within themselves for kills inside a clan chat. Not a perfect solution and many will argue that it would just slow the whole thing down and that they deserve to be able to crash (even though many have argued nobody deserves anything) but it would totally solve the issue of crashing.

I'm not sure if there's a necessity for that kind of fix. The best solution would be to add more bosses, so I personally think that's what Jagex should pursue, though I don't think they even see it as a problem.

dgs5.jpg

Crashing - such a horrible headache. It's why I don't like people calling bossing as "PvM". PvM is effectively a cross between PvP and MHing (monster hunting). Not only do I have to kill the boss, I have to out-damage you as well. If it's in the DK lair, then I might have to kill you in self-defense.

I'm a 138 player, with overloads and the top tier gear. Does this make me a crasher looking for fresh blood? No. It doesn't. What I don't get is why there's a population of high combat morons that NEED to crash. I'm able to find an empty world on a Friday night at GWD, DKs, or what have you, with ease. (This is my rant against high level crashers.)

Surely by the time you've reached 138 combat, you should have a collection of friends that frequent bosses. I have an order which nearly always guarantees me access to a world.

1) Hop to look for empty world.

2) Ask friends if they're at the same boss and nearing the end of their trip.

3) When hopping worlds, ask the current team/individual if they're almost done. If I have to wait like 5 minutes for a team to leave, then I'll wait 5 minutes.

4) If a team acts like jerks when you ask them about their time left, then remember that world. It'll possibly come in handy later.

5) If you still cannot hop to an empty, non-200+ ping, non-pvp/bh world (wow), then go back to that world with the jerk(s) on it. Good luck.

I don't know about the OP, but not all of us 138s get 138+gear for the sole purpose of crashing. What really gets to me is when you guys show up at zil in veracs and chaotic maul at arms... while I'm just having some fun with my community by barraging zil while everyone else ranges/melees. Just for the crashers that get off by doing that, I pack a set of veracs for you guys - don't worry.

Also, I just don't really recommend going to team-based bandos. There are way too many people with 70+ strength. Enough said.

One last point - to the person who said 138s are jaded and worn-out from getting 138 combat/gear - you're looking at the glass the wrong way. A crasher is always a crasher - regardless of their level.

P.S. I always find that a little karma goes a long way. :lol: -Ry

I'm sorry TIF. It appears that I have too many 99s for this board. -Ry

If playing rs more means you have less of a life, why not quit. That way no one will crash you and you have more of a life.

Waits for the imminent

"I'm 6 ft 5 with a supermodel girlfriend and i like have lots of friends and like a life and your just some sad nerd gtfo"

Yeah I'm actually 7 foot 13 with a supermodel boyfriend

As for the issue of having a friendly community or not, I don't think you should look to MMO's to do that.

If you really wanted to meet good, friendly, nice people, why not go volunteer in a neighborhood organization?

I'm not encouraging openly being mean to people, cause that's just disrupting. But why do I necessarily have to be nice to people I probably will never see online? Why not spend that energy elsewhere in real life?

As for a solution to crashing: If more Bandos spawns were implemented, Bandos armor would be significantly more common. This would reduce the prince of Bandos until it's simply uneconomical to do Bandos for higher levels. I think a lot of players would be unhappy about this.

The best system would be to have bosses that are hard enough (i.e. corporeal beast) that require a (high level) team. Finding teams means you have to add people to your friendslist. A lot of friends I've made are through really old Bandos CC's. It promotes teamwork.

I'm a 138 player, with overloads and the top tier gear. Does this make me a crasher looking for fresh blood? No. It doesn't. What I don't get is why there's a population of high combat morons that NEED to crash. I'm able to find an empty world on a Friday night at GWD, DKs, or what have you, with ease. (This is my rant against high level crashers.)

What? I'll agree with Arma and Sara, but if you do Bandos, it's not easy to find spawns. Neither is finding 2 empty spawns for TD's. It's usually pretty easy for DK's to find a completely empty world, but I'm pretty intent on finding worlds with a specific number of people so that my spawns are timed right. So when I come across a world with the right number of people, if there's a solo mager in there, I'll probably crash him.

P.S. I always find that a little karma goes a long way. :lol: -Ry

Very ironic - I got crashed today at DK's, but the guy ended up dying and almost losing Full Arma, Bandos, Fury, and Claws. Possibly even a Spectral SS too, I don't know if he was using 2 Crystal bows or 1. If you're a crasher and don't know how to crash, don't bother me.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Ryan

<3 you too ryannub. :P

Ye, its not something I like, but its often needed. I *could* find a world, but I'm not going to hop 10 times. Note: the only boss I do is DKS as a generally rule. Sara/arma its normally easy(er) to find a world.

Stonewall337.png

I'm not sure if there's a necessity for that kind of fix. The best solution would be to add more bosses, so I personally think that's what Jagex should pursue, though I don't think they even see it as a problem.

I disagree. I am a liberal thinker in this perspective. I see big sweeping changes as a great way to change this game for the better. The problem Jagex have is that even minimal changes get rants, so big changes probably make them want to kill themselves. For example i personally would LOVE if Jagex made all the dungeoneering ores and armours available outside of the skill, with stats equal to those of their regular metal counterparts. It would add much more choice for lower and middle level players in their armour and would be more fun. However, it would be such a large change that it would never happen. I think that adding more bosses and worlds would only continue to increase the number of players boss hunting instead of thinning them out. It could even make crashing even more common with even more people as some bosses could even be easier and more profit.

EDIT:

Yeah I'm actually 7 foot 13 with a supermodel boyfriend

As for the issue of having a friendly community or not, I don't think you should look to MMO's to do that.

If you really wanted to meet good, friendly, nice people, why not go volunteer in a neighborhood organization?

I'm not encouraging openly being mean to people, cause that's just disrupting. But why do I necessarily have to be nice to people I probably will never see online? Why not spend that energy elsewhere in real life?

But this is real life and you are meeting them. They are real people, just because they are not right in front of you does not mean they are not human and not people. You should act the same with somebody across the world as you would with somebody 2 feet away. The only reason I can think of not doing so is that maybe somebody 2 feet away would smack you around the face. It boils down to anonymity of the internet.

zqXeV.jpg

How in the world can you consider such an integral facet of MHing to be immaterial? Your arguments are unreasonable have no basis in reality. Like Stonewall said, there is a possibility of dying outside of PVP worlds, which is pretty significant in itself. Dying in a PVP world? GF you just lost months of your life making the money for that equipment (or in some cases, you just lost nigh-irreplaceable equipment [EG: a divine spirit shield]).

Your argument is tantamount to telling someone to ask Donald Trump for 10 million dollars. It's not a viable option, but that's immaterial! Surely they can still ask, right?!

Right . . . ?

Because what you think is a viable option has no bearing on what can be done in-game. Seeing as how you're perfectly able to log into a PvP world and MH, then the fact that you don't think that's a viable option-- similiar to how you don't think world hopping twenty+ times is a viable option-- is a rather moot point, as then you're simply choosing not to do what Jagex has set up to be done (Sound familiar?). The whole point about dying and losing millions is immaterial because that has no bearing on what you can do. It only affects what you're willing to do, and what you can do and what you're willing to do are two entirely separate things. Just because you're not willing to MH on a PvP world doesn't mean it can't be done, but rather that you don't want to risk it.

And just to humor your last three sentences, only if you have the same success rate of Donald Trump giving you $10M as you do of obtaining $10M through any other method ;)

...Or Jagex could be smart like every other developer and make boss rooms instanced. With the upcoming party system they will have no excuse not to.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Right . . . ?

Because what you think is a viable option has no bearing on what can be done in-game. Seeing as how you're perfectly able to log into a PvP world and MH, then the fact that you don't think that's a viable option-- similiar to how you don't think world hopping twenty+ times is a viable option-- is a rather moot point, as then you're simply choosing not to do what Jagex has set up to be done (Sound familiar?). The whole point about dying and losing millions is immaterial because that has no bearing on what you can do. It only affects what you're willing to do, and what you can do and what you're willing to do are two entirely separate things. Just because you're not willing to MH on a PvP world doesn't mean it can't be done, but rather that you don't want to risk it.

And just to humor your last three sentences, only if you have the same success rate of Donald Trump giving you $10M as you do of obtaining $10M through any other method ;)

You completely ignored my rebuttal to your asinine suggestion by . . . offering the suggestion a second time. I think we're done here.

dgs5.jpg

Don't think anyone said the "elite" don't die. Maybe we don't die as often, but some things (Power outages, world lags out, DC's, etc) are indiscriminate of levels.

Me being facetious doesn't go over well, apparently.

Also, don't think anyone said that it was always 100% impossible to find a free world, sometimes its easy. Other times it isn't. I suppose I could always hop until someone leaves, but why should I spend an hour everytime I want to MH? Sorry, I don't care THAT much about you.

Stating that you have to crash insinuates that there isn't a free world anywhere.

Here is a challenge. This friday, go to bandos, both LS and non LS worlds. Go to 50, or even 20 worlds. Tell me how many worlds with over 1k pop are free, ok?

No thanks, mainly because I don't care enough. If I ever happen to see a free world at Bandos on my way through, I'll tell you, though.

You completely ignored my rebuttal to your asinine suggestion by . . . offering the suggestion a second time. I think we're done here.

Indeed I didn't ignore it. You're simply arguing that because you don't think something is viable that it isn't an option, coming up with tons of excuses as to why you can't MH on a PvP world (the main reason being that you can die and lose your stuff). But this ignores the fact that those monsters that you like to hunt do exist on PvP worlds and that they're often empty. The fact that they exist and that they're empty means that you don't have to crash, provided you want to take the risk. But you don't want to do so. Of course, you not wanting to take the risk doesn't mean those monsters don't exist sans the crowds of people attacking them. I would say we could go at this all day, but since you've already decided that you won't, then we won't. Honestly. I hate repeating myself, I really do. But sometimes you just have to.

tl;dr

You don't have to crash, as it's not impossible to find an empty world ;)