What happened to this community?

gremmy

Honestly -- if I had 10¢ for every time I've heard someone on Runescape talk about how bored they were ... <_<

:rolleyes:

I find it amusing to watch people attempt to justify their feelings of "superiority" because they may have higher skill levels, or more bank worth than some players -- as though that should make them necessarily better than any one else.

As I said -- you're not better. You're not inferior either. Stop compensating. Stop trying to turn everything into some bizarre form of competition. It's a game folks -- a game without an "end". There are no winners or losers. Just people playing the game.

nyuseg.png

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time I checked, most multiplayer games involved competition. I'm not making anything a competition either, I'm simply stating the obvious.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Honestly -- if I had 10¢ for every time I've heard someone on Runescape talk about how bored they were ... <_<

I find it amusing to watch people attempt to justify their feelings of "superiority" because they may have higher skill levels, or more bank worth than some players -- as though that should make them necessarily better than any one else.

As I said -- you're not better. You're not inferior either. Stop compensating. Stop trying to turn everything into some bizarre form of competition. It's a game folks -- a game without an "end". There are no winners or losers. Just people playing the game.

Can you prove that Runescape is inherently boring? Can you prove that Stonewall is trying to justify or compensate for anything? Can you prove that Runescape does not involve competition? I can prove all of these things to the contrary.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

That is simply your opinion. Can you prove I am not better then most people? Can you disprove what I've stated? You see, what I've stated I can back up, whilst you simply have stated baseless opinions. You see, I can link you to the high scores, showing my position on them, as well as Jagex's figures of the number of players in RS, and can thus derive in what percentile I am. Bank, is slightly different. I can show you mine, and if a vote were taken, I believe it would be greater then the majority of scapers. In addition, compared to the bank pics of hundreds of users which I have seen on numerous fansite, as well as in game, I can say compared to that base I am again in the higher percentile.

This isn't a matter of "pride" or "worth". Its simply a matter of being able to back up my statements. If you'd like to try and prove or disprove my statements, feel free.

It is partially the increase in self proclaimed experts which leads a downward spiral. People who make statements such as "dfs is better for slayer since it has +2 more str) and "CLs is better its more accurate and hits higher" when they are unwilling to prove their point are the ones who often lead topics off course, without adding anything to the discussion except for people trying to prove the ignorant wrong, with most often the person refusing to leave their baseless assumption.

Stonewall337.png
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)

Can you prove that Runescape is inherently boring?

Tell me -- do you READ what other people say about this game, or do you merely run around playing "Me too" to Stonewall's "Big Dog", all day long? Do a search of "boring" on this forum. Look up "boring runescape" on google. Do a search of "boring" on the RSOF.

Now, I'm not one to fly in the face of public opinion, but it's better to attempt to acknowledge the general consensus of the community, than to ignore its consequences.

You may want to try and justify the game play any way you want, but I know a helluva lot of maxed out players and skillers who will likewise openly admit that the game play does get downright boring at times.

Can you prove that Stonewall is trying to justify or compensate for anything?

Do you really want me to play arm-chair psychologist?

Can you prove that Runescape does not involve competition?

It is a game that revolves around skills. There are only two skills (TWO) that involve competition: Hunting and Woodcutting.

You can make any variety of money and buy just about any skill and equipment you need -- none of which requires you to compete to another player to obtain them.

nyuseg.png

Yes there is limited skills required for this game. Namely that you have at least one arm and a mouse. Everything is time based.

Therefore the only way to be better than other people - is simply to save time. Or do things quicker.

And yes believe it or not the majority of games turn into some form of competition if none is provided via the mechanics of the game - it's generally what keeps people playing it after the contents run out.

If Jagex deleted the highscores, removed experience past 99 and reduced the xp required for 99, I highly doubt many people would keep playing it. Because the actual gameplay mechanics are crap. It's a clicking broswer game. The whole "fun" behind runescape is the grind. If you don't like it, go find another game to play/troll, since this clearly isn't catered for you.

qjDiz.png

http://www.[Caution! Jagex Rule Violation].com

That is simply your opinion. Can you prove I am not better then most people? Can you disprove what I've stated? You see, what I've stated I can back up, whilst you simply have stated baseless opinions. You see, I can link you to the high scores, showing my position on them, as well as Jagex's figures of the number of players in RS, and can thus derive in what percentile I am. Bank, is slightly different. I can show you mine, and if a vote were taken, I believe it would be greater then the majority of scapers. In addition, compared to the bank pics of hundreds of users which I have seen on numerous fansite, as well as in game, I can say compared to that base I am again in the higher percentile.

This isn't a matter of "pride" or "worth". Its simply a matter of being able to back up my statements. If you'd like to try and prove or disprove my statements, feel free.

It is partially the increase in self proclaimed experts which leads a downward spiral. People who make statements such as "dfs is better for slayer since it has +2 more str) and "CLs is better its more accurate and hits higher" when they are unwilling to prove their point are the ones who often lead topics off course, without adding anything to the discussion except for people trying to prove the ignorant wrong, with most often the person refusing to leave their baseless assumption.

Yes -- you have a half-dozen skills in which you're higher leveled than I am. Take a bow. Give yourself a pat on the back.

How in the hell Obtaurian thinks you're not compensating for something is beyond me ... :rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

Can you prove that Runescape is inherently boring?

Tell me -- do you READ what other people say about this game, or do you merely run around playing "Me too" to Stonewall's "Big Dog", all day long? Do a search of "boring" on this forum. Look up "boring runescape" on google. Do a search of "boring" on the RSOF.

Now, I'm not one to fly in the face of public opinion, but it's better to attempt to acknowledge the general consensus of the community, than to ignore its consequences.

You may want to try and justify the game play any way you want, but I know a helluva lot of maxed out players and skillers who will likewise openly admit that the game play does get downright boring at times.

Can you prove that Stonewall is trying to justify or compensate for anything?

Do you really want me to play arm-chair psychologist?

Can you prove that Runescape does not involve competition?

It is a game that revolves around skills. There are only two skills (TWO) that involve competition: Hunting and Woodcutting.

You can make any variety of money and buy just about any skill and equipment you need -- none of which requires you to compete to another player to obtain them.

I really hate to be the stuck-up elitist snob right now, but this doesn't even warrant a response. I really question whether or not you actually play Runescape. Seeing as how you haven't proven anything, I'd say we're done here. :)

Oh, maybe not -- my arguments:

1. I have fun playing Runescape. When Runescape stops being fun, I stop playing -- the same applies to everything else in life.

2. Yes, I do want you to play arm-chair psychologist. If you can accuse him of something, presumably you can back your accusations up with proof. I'll be waiting.

3. Runescape is all about competition. Very few activities in Runescape are devoid of competition or are not related to competing against other players in some way. I literally cannot think of a single activity in Runescape that does not lend itself to competitive game-play in some way.

dgs5.jpg

I'd also like to point out that I was not comparing myself to any one person. In fact, there are several hundred thousand people with certain skills higher then me. I don't care. Its irrelevant. I'm simply pointing out that there are some people who are "better", which I already defined previously, then other players. I simply used myself as an example. I didn't do it because I thought I was/am of more value then other people, rather to prove my point that some people are "better" then others. If you'd care to try and disprove that, instead of bandying insults and slinging mud, please feel free. There is little left for me to try and said, I've made my point, and you aren't stating anything else which can be LOGICALLY argued.

In addition, there are things which require skill, safe PvP, dangerous hybriding, certain bosses (dag kings multibrid, for example) as well as DG, which most defiantly requires skill and knowledge.

Is is for this reason why I train DG, and hunt dag kings, compared to training fletching or cooking. But I digress.

Stonewall337.png

The derailing of this thread proved the OP his point.

Threads evolve.

Stonewall337.png

Threads evolve.

Into a lot of flaming and obsolete discussions...

Care to elaborate? I have not flamed, nor do I see what is obsolete.

Stonewall337.png

Threads evolve.

Into a lot of flaming and obsolete discussions...

agreed

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

"choosing your path is the true trial", "the most honorable dilemma"

Care to elaborate? I have not flamed, nor do I see what is obsolete.

I didn't say you were flaming, you shouldn't take stuff so personally... :razz:

OP thought the community on tip.it is more agressive compared to a few years back, so what is obsolete imo:

- which party of the whole efficiency-discussion is 'right'

- wether or not Runescape revolves around grinding or competition or a mixture of both

The manour in which these so-called discussions are held answers the topic-title.

Timm(too many m's for me to type). I enjoy reading these debates and it's entertainment. :thumbup: It is general discussion which entails that sort of thing if I'm thinking correctly.

Low_C.png

I find this discussion both entertaining and infomative :thumbup:

Timm(too many m's for me to type). I enjoy reading these debates and it's entertainment. :thumbup: It is general discussion which entails that sort of thing if I'm thinking correctly.

I won't mind even if this thread got stickied and the die-hards can continue these discussions without end.

Everybody his cup of tea. :wink:

Was simply saying OP's question has been answered already imo.

If it was simply a question topic that wouldn't cover many different aspects that would spark discussion it would be in questionnaires :P

Those aspects have become VERY wide then, I don't see the relevance of RS being a grind-game (true or not) in a topic covering the deteriorating friendlyness of Tip.It-community for example.

Oh well, I'll leave you guys to it I guess. :wink:

Can you prove that Runescape is inherently boring? Can you prove that Stonewall is trying to justify or compensate for anything? Can you prove that Runescape does not involve competition? I can prove all of these things to the contrary.

Sure.

1.) Every stimulus inherently leads to boredom. Boring is the state of being saturated with the same stimulus for extended periods of time. Fun is simply a personal measure of how long you can enjoy the exposure. If you liked the movie Avatar, then watch it again and again continuously for the next 307 days and then tell me how you aren't bored.

2.) I can, but I really have to ask if you want to see that part of him?

3.) I can prove that you can log into runescape and not be involved in competition. I could simply use RS as a chat client. You can't prove the contrary.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

1.) is true, however, it doesn't hold value in this argument as he asked about inherent value, which is different from value after playing the game for years. Avatar may have inherent value (Like rs, as Obt. said) but after overplaying/overwatching in this case it loses some part of fun. Thats not inherent though.

Stonewall337.png

crashing post has made a "efficiency" camp and a "fun" camp that flame each other. both of these are actually misnomers - all of us are trying to be as efficient and have the most fun at the same time. efficiency does not preclude fun, and fun does not preclude efficiency. moreover, being an "efficient" player is not better than being a "fun" player, and vice versa. it is a matter of personal opinion, preference, and intelligence.

if anything, the reason we fashion ourselves as "elite" is because we try to argue logically and clearly. others see this as arrogance because we refuse to respond to unfounded retorts and instead flame back because we can't stand the lack of logic behind certain things said. elite really has nothing to do with levels in this case; "elite" is an unwillingness to accept ignorance.

Don't worry you can't take credit for this not matter how much you want to.

As for elite, nice try to glorify the label your now stuck with.

However, lets get real and understand that elite and elitism is born from arrogance.

Arrogance is born from pride.

One can have pride in any achievement regardless of whether or not it is recognized by others.

However, an arrogant person just can't stand not being appreciated or recognized by others for this achievement.

So they rub it directly in other people's faces to garner a reaction.

And when they don't get a reaction that they can interprete as appreciation to satisfy their swollen egos then they are driven to seek out others who are like minded.

And when a bunch of arroganant people congregrate into a small community to recognize this common achievement, welll then the elite banners start flying.

And when the larger community doesnt appreciate the elite community and what they represent then elite community heads for the "high ground", trying to wall themselves off from the people that just don't stroke their egos.

I believe there is a famous fictional story, Atlas Shrugged that is a good depiction of what I am talking about.

I have only heard of it and read the synopsis . So, I can't comment on the exact details.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Sure.

1.) Every stimulus inherently leads to boredom. Boring is the state of being saturated with the same stimulus for extended periods of time. Fun is simply a personal measure of how long you can enjoy the exposure. If you liked the movie Avatar, then watch it again and again continuously for the next 307 days and then tell me how you aren't bored.

2.) I can, but I really have to ask if you want to see that part of him?

3.) I can prove that you can log into runescape and not be involved in competition. I could simply use RS as a chat client. You can't prove the contrary.

1. I addressed that when I mentioned in a previous post that I stop playing Runescape when it becomes boring. It is not, however, inherently boring. There's a big difference. Nice try, though.

2. Why do people keep responding to this question with "are you SURE you want to know?!" Well, yeah, obviously I do, so prove it.

3. Clever response. You and I both know, however, that you're clutching at straws. Prove that actually playing the game is devoid of competition.

dgs5.jpg