What happened to this community?

gremmy

Nothing. The community wasn't good to begin with. It was perhaps slightly better back in RS1 but it degraded quickly after RS2. Not surprising considering the game is made out mostly of males in their pre-teens, teens or young adulthood. That's easily the most obnoxious age/gender slice in the entire population.

I agree. Look back to the last page of General discussion at threads from 05. They aren't any different room our threads. If anything, there are many more one line insignificant answers to threads and much less discussion back then.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of the reason, I think, the community has become the way it is, is because it has grown very large.

Everybody is attempting to stand out in their own way, some make fools of themselves in the process, be it coming across as arrogant jerks, assclowns, know-it-alls, or "cool people".

All of these people are trying too hard.

How do we fix this?

Silverion should have sold tip.it/runescape to me years ago, solving this problem.

First, I would enforce a dictatorship where 50% of everybodies post count would be moved to my account, discouraging people from spamming for post count.

Second, the word "troll" wouldd be banned, since nobody can handle the word responsibly anyway.

Third, all references from 4chan would make your rank magically become "idiot". And whatever you wrote, would be re-written upon submission to say "Hi, I have no imagination, so I feed off of others cleverness in an attempt to sound, witty, intelligent, and funny in this forum".

Fourth, the boards would close fridays from 16:00 hours to sundays at 12:00 noon, MY TIME!! Because I am the only admin/moderator and I don't like to be here in weekends.

All other solutions are just unrealistic.

The solution to the 4chan part if implemented could be the best forums upgrade of all time. :razz:

Low_C.png

I do not think the community is getting too 'large'. I think there's too many people posting to a topic and the current users aren't reading past the first post and just skip to page 5 (or 12). Topics usually run out of steam at 5-7 pages, going beyond that you're going to have 'a few' people debating over the core issues. Everyone else is just around for the ride, or don't read the entire topic and just want to post 'something', but don't want to get too involved. They just want to contribute their own opinion in some unique way but really just want to move on to that next topic.

Also, a lot of people might be afraid to post just their actual opinions and do not want to get flamed, so they resort to being a clown.

Private forums for 'qualified users' based on quantifiable 'recommendations' in a person's profile. Join date, post quality, posts (small weight), topic #, topic quality, community contribution...etc. Just make a topic and make people nominate themselves with whatever reasons they think are good for them. Have a mod or two go through it every week or two and make people 'qualified'. Make the private forums public, so the general community can read them, they just can't post in there. Make sure it is outlined that bad posting quality will get you removed from the forum. Encourage others to share their posts on relevant topics on the public forums.

I do not think the community is getting too 'large'. I think there's too many people posting to a topic and the current users aren't reading past the first post and just skip to page 5 (or 12). Topics usually run out of steam at 5-7 pages, going beyond that you're going to have 'a few' people debating over the core issues. Everyone else is just around for the ride, or don't read the entire topic and just want to post 'something', but don't want to get too involved. They just want to contribute their own opinion in some unique way but really just want to move on to that next topic.

Also, a lot of people might be afraid to post just their actual opinions and do not want to get flamed, so they resort to being a clown.

Private forums for 'qualified users' based on quantifiable 'recommendations' in a person's profile. Join date, post quality, posts (small weight), topic #, topic quality, community contribution...etc. Just make a topic and make people nominate themselves with whatever reasons they think are good for them. Have a mod or two go through it every week or two and make people 'qualified'. Make the private forums public, so the general community can read them, they just can't post in there. Make sure it is outlined that bad posting quality will get you removed from the forum. Encourage others to share their posts on relevant topics on the public forums.

Separating people into "good" and "bad" camps is only going to make things worse and is definitely not what this forum needs. This is a free forum for anyone to join regardless of whether or not you deem them worthy of posting. Instead of shunning people for being bad posters, why don't you give them the same opportunity to grow and mature as a poster that you were given when you joined.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Separating people into "good" and "bad" camps is only going to make things worse and is definitely not what this forum needs. This is a free forum for anyone to join regardless of whether or not you deem them worthy of posting. Instead of shunning people for being bad posters, why don't you give them the same opportunity to grow and mature as a poster that you were given when you joined.

I agree. Such a thing would only publicly humiliate the users who are not accepted. Several people have mentioned elitism existing now.. well creating a public private forum would only make that problem so much worse. People who get in will think highly of themselves and the people who don't get in are basically on display for everyone else to think to themselves, "lol."

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

To follow up on tripsis

A public private forum is a horrible idea for the boards in my view, a breeding ground for corruption and a flagrant way for people to rub elitism in others faces, we're all equal. I see No Limits to the douchebaggery (thats my made up word of the day) - that would occur in a public private board for the "best of the best" - people would think they are better than the others and look down on good members not in for whatever stupid reason critically, I've seen it done on other forums non-runescape related and being in both sides - never saw it work flawlessly. Just more resentment and a divided community.

I'm against the idea - we need to come together in general as a community, not divide ourselves because we are assclowns who don't agree with each other and hate those who don't play like us.

I couldn't bear to see our community be a divided elitist vs regular guy forum :(

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

I'm pretty sure we all try to play efficiently. We all have a limited ammount of game time and we would all like to accomplish what it is we would like to accomplish in that given time.

Now...whether that means you are going to try to get 100k slay exp every 5 hours or you are going to try to sit around in a bank and chat with your friends for as much as you can in the 2 hours you have online...thats where the difference is.

So yeah...you're all efficiency freaks in one way or another. So get over it.

Sooooo..... as best as I can tell from that post, you think the definition of efficiency is, er, playing the game? :mellow: :unsure:

A rather dumb definition of efficient, because you can't be be INefficient according to those standards....

My point rather is that the concept of efficiency is a rather dumb concept.

Everyone is trying to maximize their ability to do something in the limited time that they have. I don't think that someone who fishes sharks for money vs. doing GWD is necessarily an inefficient gamer, because maybe he just really values the time that he gets to spend in the fishing guild, chatting with his friends.

Now...maybe an inefficient gamer would be someone who actually wants to have fun with the game but is not having fun because he chooses to only do things that most of the community deems "useful"

I'd like to chime in with: I am probably the most inefficient player in Runescape. Even if I try to level, 9 times out of 10 I have to put in my bank pin after each load due to idling out. I never put a full hour to anything, maybe 20-30 minutes in one spurt towards something, could go on for a few hours if I'm doing something on the computer and afk training (hence the idling out consistently), and yet, I'm happy with it. Sure I don't max out xp/hour, but eventually I'll get to my goal, and I'm fine with that.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

The people trying to engage in intelligent discussion are a lot better than the people who use the search feature for the word "efficiency" then copypasta their troll remarks about not taking in the fun factor.

Seriously when there is a thread about is a chaotic rapier or longsword better, while people are gathering data about about dps and so on, a horde of trolls will descend saying that the chaotic maul is most fun and therefore is best, and you should gtfo for trying to tell them how to play the game.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

I couldn't bear to see our community be a divided elitist vs regular guy forum :(

We are there already.

Blame dungeoneeering for this.

Its really brought the worst part of WOW to rs. (the freakin balogna community)

Just read the "pro" thread and join their l2dung clan.

Sadly, its not just rushers who are assclowns.

I joined a non-rush group this weekend and was scolded for wasting the prom ore to make a plate over a chain.

It was truely laughable because their were a ton of untouched rocks.

Needless to say I alched every damn ore & chain they threw on the home floor before they could boot me.

The only good news is that the elistists are trying to break off.

Maybe they can start up their own clown site. :idea:

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

We are there already.

I joined a non-rush group this weekend and was scolded for wasting the prom ore to make a plate over a chain.

Needless to say I alched every damn ore & chain they threw on the home floor before they could boot me.

This is THE guy you anti-efficiency guys should follow. He is a perfect example of the nice-guy community we are all after. If you are nice to everyone else, everyone will be nice to you. :thumbsup:

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

I wondered the same thing, I just came back today, posted my thread in the wrong place and instantly got flamed by about half of the posts on my thread. I do remember when I achieved 70 ranged and posted a pic of me wearing black d hide, I had people saying congrats and keep on going, looking through the threads today, I definately see a change in attitude towards the community.

cowboy.jpg

We are there already.

Another brilliant post by Golvellius. :thumbup: PREACH BROTHER!

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

It's not as cut as dry as 'good' and 'bad' "camps". And it isn't shunning people either. Anyone has the ability to 'qualify'. It isn't about being accepted or denied. It's about 'qualifying'. If someone posts in whatever topic or forum to qualify into the 'intelligent boards' but they just joined yesterday, who is it to blame there? They might get mad, but really, do we have to cater towards that? If those who post to get qualified in the qualification form, yet, they obviously do not meet the bare minimum, then that's their own fault.

No one is going to shun them for 'not getting in', or being 'denied' as you said. It isn't about being denied or accepted. It's about contributing enough to the community to merit the actual acceptance/entry.

Every user still has the same opportunity that you speak of, to grow as a poster. In fact, with a secluded forum, they have a lot more motivation to post regularly, thoughtfully and intelligently. I would be glad to recontribute whatever it is I have contributed to Tip.It since I first joined, in order to qualify for the 'intelligent forum'. It's not an 'elitist' club and everyone has the same opportunity to acquire their access into it. Everyone is still on the same equal footing.

I agree. Such a thing would only publicly humiliate the users who are not accepted. Several people have mentioned elitism existing now.. well creating a public private forum would only make that problem so much worse. People who get in will think highly of themselves and the people who don't get in are basically on display for everyone else to think to themselves, "lol."

If someone has enough forum reputation for not being 'accepted' into the separate forum, why weren't they granted access in the first place? Instead of embarrassment it would most likely turn out to be a harmless joke the person has, which would be solved since the person would be getting 'humiliated' or 'made fun of', which would mean they at least know enough people that an entire charade can go on about them.

Users who get declined would be users who aren't involved enough in the community, joined within the last week, or have posted below standard posts, or a combination of these and more. The reasons people would be declined are not reasons in which the community would centre out and 'embarrass' them for. And if this did happen, it would already be infringing the rules and core virtue of Tip.It of being friendly. Without even adding a 'DO NOT BE AN ELITIST' set of rules, you could already warn people or take further action because it would already be breaking the current rules. If the 'rules' for being accepted turned into a status quo ruleset, yes there would be problems as you state.

It is very hard to crack down on the subtle "I'm better than you because my posts/join date are X more than yours," yet, it does not get reported as much as it should. Something like someone calling out another dude for getting declined or not accepted would be silly on their part.

"Hey you, you didn't get accepted into the intelligent or secluded forum because you joined only 5 days ago; because you only have 40 posts; because of your 40 posts they've all been one liners/pointless/flaming"

Why would anyone take out time to insult, or try to prove their superiority over someone for such stupid reasons? These reasons do not mean that someone is less intelligent, it only means they haven't contributed enough to Tip.It. Meanwhile the person causing all of the trouble is going against Tip.It's rules & mindset. They're also fooling themselves into thinking the intelligent or secluded forum is an elitist club. It isn't. Those who think this are going to be easily spotted and removed. Following such guideline concepts as I've posted would in my belief deter any 'forum bashing' or 'forum elitism' from occurring. It would also have the better, honest Tip.It'er reporting the person straight away (which could be considered 'contributing').

The other large component of this is also that it is the Tip.It staff who are mainly responsible for who qualifies and who doesn't. And as long as they stay clear of 'bias' and only look at the quantifiable contributions, there should be no reasons for people to claim they are better than someone else for having access, because they are basically 'new' or are a 'troll'. And do we really care that much about trolls in the first place? As well as the mods also encouraging users to report any signs of elitism or 'superiority posts' would greatly influence people to not post like an elitist, even if it does become tempting.

A regular guy would probably gain access though. And to sustain his access he wouldn't be able to act like an elitist. One there's most likely going to be more people without access who want access. So if one person starts to act like an elite, the public community is just going to report that user. Also because the separated forums are PUBLIC and viewable to everyone, also helps to ensure no one is going to cause inside jokes of some kind or something 'only the elite would know'.

A combination of proper moderation, along with the concept of 'contributions' as the main driving force, and a large portion of good Tip.It'ers, should make it work. It isn't going to take a lot of work to make sure no one is acting like an elite after the initial week/month.

The whole 'elitist' ordeal is something that should be fixed or resolved, so that we can do this secluded forum for those who want to discuss in-depth opinions or updates or issues relating to the game. I have been just browsing the forums for so long that I got logged out and did not notice for two weeks, simply because I couldn't find well thought out content that made me want to post. I have to wonder how many others are in this same situation or would prefer to go to a forum, click on a topic and have a riveting read and be inspired to post their well thought out thoughts on the subject. I don't like wasting 10-15 minutes on a reply, when all I'm going to get is a one liner response or I'm going to have 3-5 people possibly quote me on it but miss the entire point of it or not read all of it. And maybe possibly have 1 person who actually read everything, post a legit argument to it or an agreement to it.

If I'm changed anyone else's thoughts on this or if it is time for this to be discussed a lot more deeply in FU&S, I'd encourage others to make a topic and reference these last few posts. I'd post it myself, but I don't want to be a lone ranger. So speak up if you want something different and think it could work.

--

Then again this is all for the sake of discussion in the General Discussion forum. The main point of this entire topic was just the general rudeness, coldness or lack of the ability to slow down and smell the roses users have these days. Which isn't saying much since it is exactly the same as it was in 09, 08, 07 and 06.

I'm advocating these secluded forums simply because I want those who have it in them to be able to pool their thoughts together and create meaningful discussion. Things that will impact the general mindsets of other users and make them really think about things, without having to read flame, trolls or elites.

We are there already.

WAIT, so, you got pissed off, and instead of acting mature, and trying to help anyway (Since people will always get on your nerves at some time in life) you were an ass, and you are SURPRISED?

hmm

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

It's not as cut as dry as 'good' and 'bad' "camps". And it isn't shunning people either. Anyone has the ability to 'qualify'. It isn't about being accepted or denied. It's about 'qualifying'. If someone posts in whatever topic or forum to qualify into the 'intelligent boards' but they just joined yesterday, who is it to blame there? They might get mad, but really, do we have to cater towards that? If those who post to get qualified in the qualification form, yet, they obviously do not meet the bare minimum, then that's their own fault.

No one is going to shun them for 'not getting in', or being 'denied' as you said. It isn't about being denied or accepted. It's about contributing enough to the community to merit the actual acceptance/entry.

Every user still has the same opportunity that you speak of, to grow as a poster. In fact, with a secluded forum, they have a lot more motivation to post regularly, thoughtfully and intelligently. I would be glad to recontribute whatever it is I have contributed to Tip.It since I first joined, in order to qualify for the 'intelligent forum'. It's not an 'elitist' club and everyone has the same opportunity to acquire their access into it. Everyone is still on the same equal footing.

We have one of those already, it's called the Moderator's Forum ;)

Any other division of members is going to lead to a schism in the community and a massive drop in board activity, neither of which I want to see. I would rather have the argumentative and borderline snobby community we have now than a non-existent one.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I'm sure at one point, even referencing 4chan would get a post removed.

Why'd we change this?

Why would anyone take out time to insult, or try to prove their superiority over someone for such stupid reasons?

Human nature.....?

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

There is a reason why Tip.it doesn't have "Honoured Member" ranks or doesn't have "Member of the Month" contests or forums that require x post count in order to post. We have always prided ourselves on being as inviting and welcoming as possible to new users. We don't want to have unnecessary restrictions, whether it be in the form of a public private board or something else. If such a board exists, then that would likely become the place where almost all discussion is held. And if new users can't get in (because they're new), what motivation is there for new users to join if they can't even participate in the best discussions?

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

There is a reason why Tip.it doesn't have "Honoured Member" ranks or doesn't have "Member of the Month" contests or forums that require x post count in order to post. We have always prided ourselves on being as inviting and welcoming as possible to new users. We don't want to have unnecessary restrictions, whether it be in the form of a public private board or something else. If such a board exists, then that would likely become the place where almost all discussion is held. And if new users can't get in (because they're new), what motivation is there for new users to join if they can't even participate in the best discussions?

That should be obvious...to be able to access it in the future. There is a reason the best clans don't let in just anyone.

Stonewall337.png
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)

That should be obvious...to be able to access it in the future. There is a reason the best clans don't let in just anyone.

I always loved Tip.it for its openness to anyone and everyone. It's a community, not a clan where such things would be more suited.

You guys should all know by now how to act on these forums. Flames have been removed and any more will lead to actions being taken.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

But we're not a clan - we're a fansite community. It's not our job to pick and choose who belongs here other than enforcing the rules.

If it were me, I'd take one look, realize I can't post in the best/most "mature" discussions and then leave to find another, less restricting forum. And it's perfectly understandable.

Posted Image

WAIT, so, you got pissed off, and instead of acting mature, and trying to help anyway (Since people will always get on your nerves at some time in life) you were an ass, and you are SURPRISED?

hmm

Its a game.

If you disrespect me in a game, call me a bot, call me all kinds of names because I didn't do EXACTLY what you wanted, then I am going to F with you.

Let there be no doubt, that I can be the biggest ass in runescape.

Its a matter of personal pride of course.

Nothing you elistists can't understand...

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

TR0l0l0l BAITING@@.

Doesn't make you cool.

Actually makes you worse than the people who will no doubt try to argue your point, but then you'll no doubt call them a troll and report their post.

Main Account - Max cape achieved 10th September 2011
Noob Account - 2300 total and climbing 

6CCmn.jpg

hmm

Its a game.

If you disrespect me in a game, call me a bot, call me all kinds of names because I didn't do EXACTLY what you wanted, then I am going to F with you.

Let there be no doubt, that I can be the biggest ass in runescape.

Its a matter of personal pride of course.

Ye, I used to do that to [wagon] crashers. People who would do things like "You mad bro?" LOLOL SERKER@@@@ etc.

Stonewall337.png