What happened to this community?

gremmy

The thing that astounds me is the fact that no one here acknowledges that there are crossovers in these self-imposed categories.

High leveled people who like to take things efficiently are not all self-absorbed, narcassistic megalomaniacs, and, by the same token, low leveled players who play the game for fun are not all ignorant, poor, inefficient and stupid.

Because that's what this boils down to - it's basically a vocal minority of high leveled, efficient players supporting the stereotype by acting like complete elitist assclowns, as well as a vocal minority of lower leveled, inefficient players who really are morons and behave as such, which supports THAT stereotype.

For example, I have been playing semi-efficiently for 7 years. I'm not gonna lie, I started out really slow (like most new players do,) but I like to think that, for the first 5 years of playing, even though I didn't have enough time to play I was still making the most efficient moves FOR MY LEVEL, and I KNEW what would make me money even if I couldn't do it. I was not a low leveled moron like the stereotype.

By the same token, I've been playing VERY efficiently over the last year (i'll probably round out the year having gotten 9 or 10 99's this year,) yet I've never alienated lower leveled inefficient players, always telling them valuable things like to START SLAYER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE SO YOU DON'T END UP WASTING COMBAT EXP IF YOU WANT TO GET 99, and to FARM HERBS ON THE SIDE, even though I still don't really do that myself (hypocracy, thy name is Chicken.) But I am DAMN SURE polite about it. So I am not an impersonal, rude, high leveled elitist who is unwilling to give help (at least I like to think,) like THAT stereotype either

The fact of the matter is, no matter how rich or poor, efficient or inefficient, high leveled or low leveled a person is, a JERK will ALWAYS be a JERK. Let's just drop the pessimism and stop trying to categorize these jerks, because it just causes more trouble than it's worth.

IMO, [/thread]

dungensweapers.png

JOIN CHICKENSWEEPERS TODAY! FUN, FREE, AND IT WON'T MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'VE JUST BEEN ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS, OR YOUR MONEY BACK!

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

70 range can be got in a matter of days. According to OP's logic anything that the person feels they have achieved should be posted. Alright well I achieved a couple of tasks today such as running and opening my bank so I'll just screencap it and make a rate this on it. If you don't give me a 7/10 or higher you're flaming me. Flaming keeps the garbage out of the boards. It tells users that if their post isn't worthy to be read then please don't generate spam on the forums. Hope this made sense I'm high right now.

1288581197250-1.jpg

To me this is flawed logic, because personally I know people who dismiss people because they didn't play classic, Same thing will happen regardless of segregation. splitting boards wont keep the debauchery on one forum and not the other.

The reason I suggested splitting a couple forums was that I got a sense you from one of your page 6 posts that you were frustrated with being forced to have a "hands off" approach to moderating while banning some users would help the problem. Splitting General Discussion would give you a justification to remove any posts (or even all the posts of a particular user) you felt were too elitist and disrespectful without being bad enough to warrant moderation under the current system from most forums.

It is indeed naive to believe that some of the posters under fire won't go out of their way to cause trouble. This would just allow you to deal with them without any controversy concerning overmoderation. Right now only the absolute worst posts are removed, when most of the outcry seems to be over subtle or controlled flaming, elitism, baiting, etc

2496 Completionist

70 range can be got in a matter of days. According to OP's logic anything that the person feels they have achieved should be posted. Alright well I achieved a couple of tasks today such as running and opening my bank so I'll just screencap it and make a rate this on it. If you don't give me a 7/10 or higher you're flaming me. Flaming keeps the garbage out of the boards. It tells users that if their post isn't worthy to be read then please don't generate spam on the forums. Hope this made sense I'm high right now.

I feel you missed the point and would you have every considered your point of view a bit elitist and possibly intimidating for any newcomer to join the community? Flaming doesn't keep "garbage" out of the boards it only keeps people away. It tells people if they aren't as good as you, they should go screw themselves. I think some people forget that before you can be great at anything, you have to start out as a nobody. Luckily enough, you had people before you that encouraged you or gave you advise that helped get you to where you are now.

tFtfA.jpg

To me this is flawed logic, because personally I know people who dismiss people because they didn't play classic, Same thing will happen regardless of segregation. splitting boards wont keep the debauchery on one forum and not the other.

The reason I suggested splitting a couple forums was that I got a sense you from one of your page 6 posts that you were frustrated with being forced to have a "hands off" approach to moderating while banning some users would help the problem. Splitting General Discussion would give you a justification to remove any posts (or even all the posts of a particular user) you felt were too elitist and disrespectful without being bad enough to warrant moderation under the current system from most forums.

It is indeed naive to believe that some of the posters under fire won't go out of their way to cause trouble. This would just allow you to deal with them without any controversy concerning overmoderation. Right now only the absolute worst posts are removed, when most of the outcry seems to be over subtle or controlled flaming, elitism, baiting, etc

Woah, thats the last vibe I want to give out, I'd rather not ban anyone who didn't break the rules because they were a jackass or annoying.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

I admire your boldness - However if you admit you are part of the problem multiple people feel that exists on this thread, does it not bother you at all? While you don't think it's a problem - others do - isn't it sort of self arrogance to justify your behavior as ok because you see it as such?

Yes, and I agree with this. I don't think it's a problem that others see it as a problem, because that's their issue. Why should I care about some random person's opinion? You can call that being selfish or arrogant, but it's the mindset of most of the adult world. At least, in the company setting.

Stretching a bit:

Overall, people would benefit from thinking holistically for the society, but people do not operate that way. Not that I know much about game theory, but I know that this is pretty much law as far as human nature goes.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

The thing that astounds me is the fact that no one here acknowledges that there are crossovers in these self-imposed categories.

High leveled people who like to take things efficiently are not all self-absorbed, narcassistic megalomaniacs, and, by the same token, low leveled players who play the game for fun are not all ignorant, poor, inefficient and stupid.

Because that's what this boils down to - it's basically a vocal minority of high leveled, efficient players supporting the stereotype by acting like complete elitist assclowns, as well as a vocal minority of lower leveled, inefficient players who really are morons and behave as such, which supports THAT stereotype.

For example, I have been playing semi-efficiently for 7 years. I'm not gonna lie, I started out really slow (like most new players do,) but I like to think that, for the first 5 years of playing, even though I didn't have enough time to play I was still making the most efficient moves FOR MY LEVEL, and I KNEW what would make me money even if I couldn't do it. I was not a low leveled moron like the stereotype.

By the same token, I've been playing VERY efficiently over the last year (i'll probably round out the year having gotten 9 or 10 99's this year,) yet I've never alienated lower leveled inefficient players, always telling them valuable things like to START SLAYER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE SO YOU DON'T END UP WASTING COMBAT EXP IF YOU WANT TO GET 99, and to FARM HERBS ON THE SIDE, even though I still don't really do that myself (hypocracy, thy name is Chicken.) But I am DAMN SURE polite about it. So I am not an impersonal, rude, high leveled elitist who is unwilling to give help (at least I like to think,) like THAT stereotype either

The fact of the matter is, no matter how rich or poor, efficient or inefficient, high leveled or low leveled a person is, a JERK will ALWAYS be a JERK. Let's just drop the pessimism and stop trying to categorize these jerks, because it just causes more trouble than it's worth.

IMO, [/thread]

Thank you! Perhaps reading this will give some people more perspective.

wl7w9j.png

IMO, [/thread]

Not to flame, but then is there any reason for the people in the gray area to get involved? It doesn't really affect them. Let the jerks be jerks.

sigcopyaf.png

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Woah, thats the last vibe I want to give out, I'd rather not ban anyone who didn't break the rules because they were a jackass or annoying.

In a loose interpretation, the rules are already borderline being broken. I also think that only extreme cases should result in a ban, but I think that containing the most vocalized to an environment where they won't offend anyone - and removing their content from the stricter subset - would help with the atmosphere. Why would posters complain about their content being removed from places that have established they don't want it? That's how I came up with that.

IMO, [/thread]

Generally, if you posted something like "Train slayer [/thread]" on a topic asking for the easiest way to get 99 melees, you would be called an elitist jerk yourself. Just as there are varying degrees of efficiency (and how much you care about it), there are different degrees of how people respond to being told to play a certain way when they are inclined to play a different way. Take a step back, look your post over, and realize that some of the most vocal complainers would lump you in with the "jerks." I'm not saying you are one - I think your post was dead on and I feel much the same way - but that's what the perception is becoming.

2496 Completionist

IMO, [/thread]

Generally, if you posted something like "Train slayer [/thread]" on a topic asking for the easiest way to get 99 melees, you would be called an elitist jerk yourself. Just as there are varying degrees of efficiency (and how much you care about it), there are different degrees of how people respond to being told to play a certain way when they are inclined to play a different way. Take a step back, look your post over, and realize that some of the most vocal complainers would lump you in with the "jerks." I'm not saying you are one - I think your post was dead on and I feel much the same way - but that's what the perception is becoming.

what jetrider is really saying is that ihaschicken's irl skill is way too high and he's a irl "efficiency clown" :-D

note how in this context "efficiency clown" has very little to do with efficiency. just like how it's used on these boards haha

sigcopyaf.png

I feel you missed the point and would you have every considered your point of view a bit elitist and possibly intimidating for any newcomer to join the community? Flaming doesn't keep "garbage" out of the boards it only keeps people away. It tells people if they aren't as good as you, they should go screw themselves. I think some people forget that before you can be great at anything, you have to start out as a nobody. Luckily enough, you had people before you that encouraged you or gave you advise that helped get you to where you are now.

People should learn that if they don't do something that's more than ordinary they shouldn't be congratulated for it. The same reason you don't reward a dog a treat because he laid down on the couch. Does it discourage people from posting or perhaps inspire them to achieve something noteworthy? People made fun of me for being a fat kid when I was younger so what'd I do? I worked out and ate a proper diet and became skinny. This is life.

1288581197250-1.jpg

You know, I think I'm in love with the guy who pointed out that maybe it's just YOU who's changed. I've been playing since, I think, the start of 05. Ish. Seeing as I have a rubber chicken and no Yo-Yo. So, basic math tells me I was 13 when I started. 19 now. Biiiiiiiiiiiiig gap there. I know when I started I typed with letters, making a point of quickly typing stuff taking as many shortcuts as I could, so I filled up the page with acronyms, sk8, etc. Read a tipit times article ages ago, which caused me to type things out - now I look down on people who type with too many acronyms and numbers; I look down on them and often refuse to try to figure out what was trying to be said because I consider it beneath me. (Probably a bit of a character flaw lol.)

Anyhoo, point is, I've changed. A lot. More then I can realize. And for many people here, judging how much RS has changed when you, yourself probably changed significantly is very difficult.

You should really just ignore that post.

As for above post, No 99 Melee...if your not high that is....

What constitutes as not ordinary? What, are we going back to the whole "If your not posting 120 DG/maxed total, don't post"? If this is the case, no wonder people [bleep]ing [bleep] about all the damned elitists. Personally, I usually gratz people whenever they post something that they feel they are proud of. Gratz for achieving your goal.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

What constitutes as not ordinary? What, are we going back to the whole "If your not posting 120 DG/maxed total, don't post"? If this is the case, no wonder people [bleep]ing [bleep] about all the damned elitists. Personally, I usually gratz people whenever they post something that they feel they are proud of. Gratz for achieving your goal.

joking here, but my goal is to troll you in this post. congrats to me? :P

anyway OT, i think this is a good topic. i'm hearing a lot of reasonable statements which is actually kind of refreshing.

sigcopyaf.png

And another thing: Trolling also killed this forum. As soon as all the little kiddies went and discovered 4chan, everyone felt the need to be the biggest memespouting idiot possible. "LOL I TROLL YOU"

Not ordinary is something not seen every other day. Examples of ordinary: 99 cooking/99 strength/getting a barrows drop/something I've seen thousands of times. Examples of unordinary: Itam's diy stuff/ Maxxed total/ 3a tt/ divine or ely drop/something I've probably seen less than 10 times...

I'll say congratulations if they achieve a goal they set, but if they want more than that they're gonna have to do something unique. I'm not treating newcomers like little children just because they're new.

1288581197250-1.jpg

I admire your boldness - However if you admit you are part of the problem multiple people feel that exists on this thread, does it not bother you at all? While you don't think it's a problem - others do - isn't it sort of self arrogance to justify your behavior as ok because you see it as such?

Yes, and I agree with this. I don't think it's a problem that others see it as a problem, because that's their issue. Why should I care about some random person's opinion? You can call that being selfish or arrogant, but it's the mindset of most of the adult world. At least, in the company setting.

Stretching a bit:

Overall, people would benefit from thinking holistically for the society, but people do not operate that way. Not that I know much about game theory, but I know that this is pretty much law as far as human nature goes.

I agree.

You guys need to grow up. I mean everyone in the world is arrogant and a douchbag, and as members of society you have an obligation to succumb to norms and attempt to become elitists or self centered [puncture]s yourselves. Who knows, maybe one day you'll be the person in power to be able to give people [cabbage] (or not give a [cabbage] about anyone else) :). It's a dream everyone should aspire to fulfill. Modeling bad behavior is good, because it's a time tested methodology that guarantees society progresses in a more positive way.

People should learn that if they don't do something that's more than ordinary they shouldn't be congratulated for it. The same reason you don't reward a dog a treat because he laid down on the couch. Does it discourage people from posting or perhaps inspire them to achieve something noteworthy? People made fun of me for being a fat kid when I was younger so what'd I do? I worked out and ate a proper diet and became skinny. This is life.

I can see where you are coming from but a person still shouldn't belittle or make fun of someone just because they feel their achievement isn't worthy of being recognized just like someone shouldn't have poked fun at you for your weight. It's just rude.

tFtfA.jpg

And another thing: Trolling also killed this forum. As soon as all the little kiddies went and discovered 4chan, everyone felt the need to be the biggest memespouting idiot possible. "LOL I TROLL YOU"

not many people here are /b/tards, nor do many people intentionally troll. people are just eager to call each other trolls because it's a convenient blanket insult to throw when you don't know what else to call someone

also, just to be clear, i wasn't actually trolling in that post.it was a joke. the only two people i actually troll are g-troll and blyaunte cause theyre so fun lol.

sigcopyaf.png

I can see where you are coming from but a person still shouldn't belittle or make fun of someone just because they feel their achievement isn't worthy of being recognized just like someone shouldn't have poked fun at you for your weight. It's just rude.

I'd rather someone be real with me than act happy happy joy joy to make the community look better. If someone wants to be rude then let them be rude, it's most likely just going to cause them to get looked down and if that's how they want things to be then who are we to stop them?

1288581197250-1.jpg

I agree.

You guys need to grow up. I mean everyone in the world is arrogant and a douchbag, and as members of society you have an obligation to succumb to norms and attempt to become elitists or self centered [puncture]s yourselves. Who knows, maybe one day you'll be the person in power to be able to give people [cabbage] (or not give a [cabbage] about anyone else) :). It's a dream everyone should aspire to fulfill. Modeling bad behavior is good, because it's a time tested methodology that guarantees society progresses in a more positive way.

This guy is pretty brilliant at sarcasm lol. But in all seriousness, I actually agree with him, ridiculous as it may sound.

sigcopyaf.png

I see what you did there.

LOL. this guy is a real troll hahah

sigcopyaf.png

Stretching a bit:

I agree.

I disagree, being arrogant and a douchebag get you nowhere in life. I don't know where exactly in life a lot of you are but I can imagine that most of you are still somewhat sheltered in your life. I'm not try to make fun of anyone with this comment or offend anyone, but most of you haven't really experienced "life" and only really still have an idea of what the world is all about. Rudeness gets you nowhere in life and you'll learn this quickly once you're outside the comforts of your parents homes. The people you see succeed are those who worked hard and respect those around them. Those who choice to be arrogant and rude end up living miserably. Before I end up going off on some life lesson, I'm going to stop myself short, and hopefully someone takes away something positive from this.

I'd rather someone be real with me than act happy happy joy joy to make the community look better. If someone wants to be rude then let them be rude, it's most likely just going to cause them to get looked down and if that's how they want things to be then who are we to stop them?

Of course everyone wants someone to be real with them, but it's the way some people do it that is the problem. You can be real with someone and still be nice about it. If you give someone a negative, through in some words of encouragement to give them something to aim for. Don't beat a person down from the start and not let them get back up.

tFtfA.jpg

The people you see succeed are those who worked hard and respect those around them. Those who choice to be arrogant and rude end up living miserably.

To that I respond "bill oreilly, glenn beck, sarah palin, fox news". they are well aware of the political machine they run, the fact that they take advantage of an ignorant public which they don't respect, are arrogant/rude.

You can't be arrogant/rude to people you directly interact with because then it hurts you pretty immediately. But if you are good at tricking people into thinking that you're helping them, it doesn't matter whether or not you actually are.

Sure, you can't be mean to your boss or your coworkers - they'll think youre an ass and not want to work with you. But look at people who own companies, and who are actually in power. A large proportion of them are arrogant and selfish.

Also, the guy wasn't being serious lol. look at his username

sigcopyaf.png