What happened to this community?

gremmy

I have to be honest I tend to dread posting due the near certainty that I get flamed more than I dont on posts I do. Just random posts half the time. Ontop of that I have to force self will onto myself not to reply to it. It makes threads uncomfortable for a while until I feel the topic has shifted. People trying to be clever about something and its annoying. Sometimes when I witness others being treated like complete idiots for no reason and whoever was overreacting was wrong anyway I might say something but only when that first person seems pretty damn innocent like I feel half the time.

Idk there are still times when things are polite enough and new update threads can be informative but there always certain posters that are rude for whatever reason.

As for the screenshot thread. I honestly see alot less pictures that im 'personally' interested in because they seem pking/boss monster drops. I do neither of thesee ingame so the pictures just kinda boring for me personally. For skill level updates I just congratuate them in my head and see most of them as interesting nowadays.. I post as little as I can and more than I want to without feeling like a target just being a nobody for no reason if I do. I would say that includes the screenshot thread asmuch as anywhere.

I reckon a good step would be to be more supported in that thread if nowhere else to begin with. I have become alot more 'nod in real life and think its cool' or wtf lol without bothering to reply to things that interest me. I also see that flaming and it really ticks me off a little.. if someone gets like level 70 or whatever. I like see all of that stuff. Instead of all the monster drops, though there is nothing wrong with that too.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we've seen so many threads and posts pointing out "efficiency freaks" versus "nice guys" and the conflicts between them

frankly, i'm tired of it. people are different and disagree, so get used to it

i don't think we're that bad of a community, lol.

i flame stupid people who say stupid things.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

The clowns moved in.

Graduated from RSOF with their "high level" of knowledge.

If your opinion differs from them then wam bam thank you mam for the troll.

If your accomplishments are below their standards then swoosh in come the "fail", "pathetic", "learn2beffcient" bs.

Two can play that game.

Hey ever gotten over your cry baby guilt trip on kicking some little kids to curb at TDs?

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

i've been a member since the early days of runescape and tip it, i use to always make posts, i had thousands of posts, but after i quit runescape and came back, i cant really bring my self to post or make topics on this forum anymore, its rare that i post now. The reason being the maturity of the forum members, and the replys. I definatly see were ur coming from and agree 100%

man_of_doom.png

we've seen so many threads and posts pointing out "efficiency freaks" versus "nice guys" and the conflicts between them

And by stupid I think you mean people who don't play the "right" way. :rolleyes:

Staurolite.png

I have to be honest I tend to dread posting due the near certainty that I get flamed more than I dont on posts I do. Just random posts half the time. Ontop of that I have to force self will onto myself not to reply to it. It makes threads uncomfortable for a while until I feel the topic has shifted. People trying to be clever about something and its annoying. Sometimes when I witness others being treated like complete idiots for no reason and whoever was overreacting was wrong anyway I might say something but only when that first person seems pretty damn innocent like I feel half the time.

Idk there are still times when things are polite enough and new update threads can be informative but there always certain posters that are rude for whatever reason.

As for the screenshot thread. I honestly see alot less pictures that im 'personally' interested in because they seem pking/boss monster drops. I do neither of thesee ingame so the pictures just kinda boring for me personally. For skill level updates I just congratuate them in my head and see most of them as interesting nowadays.. I post as little as I can and more than I want to without feeling like a target just being a nobody for no reason if I do. I would say that includes the screenshot thread asmuch as anywhere.

I reckon a good step would be to be more supported in that thread if nowhere else to begin with. I have become alot more 'nod in real life and think its cool' or wtf lol without bothering to reply to things that interest me. I also see that flaming and it really ticks me off a little.. if someone gets like level 70 or whatever. I like see all of that stuff. Instead of all the monster drops, though there is nothing wrong with that too.

This is exactly how I feel. Even though I'm probably the most inefficient player (185+ days of game time in nearly 7 years with a 2k total) on the board, I stopped getting involved with the efficiency vs. fun debates after my Tip.It Times article and the boss-crashing topic. Some people get so worked up about a game. We shouldn't have to worry whether we will be flamed for posting on the fan site that is supposed to have the most mature community.

Referring to the individual who said the "efficiency clowns" come from RSOF, I disagree. It's the new members we get from Tip.It's having Platinum Status on the RSOF that brings in the people obsessed with community. Like that one user who made like 9,001 topics in GD (as if they were on RSOF still) and got flamed by the same "efficiency clowns" in each one. I haven't seen them post in a while, so we did a great job scaring them off, right guys :thumbdown: ? I'm sure that helped their feelings of elitism over the verbal majority of the board. Not to say the "inefficient noobs" like myself don't contribute to the flame war (it takes two to tango).

I think we just need to agree that we disagree. When I use H&A, there's always multiple response: ones boasting peak efficiency and ones for casuals. I couldn't care less about maximizing efficiency, so I usually take advice for casuals. Maybe in those threads instead of arguing over a battle that can NOT be won of personal preference, we should post all options and leave it at that. Truce, anyone?

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

"Make a good game, then add something competitive and playing for fun is no longer a viable reason."

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

The clowns moved in.

If your accomplishments are below their standards then swoosh in come the "fail", "pathetic", "learn2beffcient" bs.

Isn't it funny that the topic is about where the nice people have gone and involves ''nice'' people practically flaming players that prefer efficiency. Also, it's funny that you mentioned RSOF as though everyone first started to use those(or maybe you did). Some of us were around for scapeboard, much before the idea of RSOF even surfaced.

I also hate to see the efficiency discussion yet again- some people seem to think having efficient and smart people are terrible for this community for trying to be serious and on-point about runescape discussion, where as lazy and friendly players improve the community. If there is a serious discussion about a serious topic, it is very counter-productive for a lazy person to try to derail a discussion with uneducated information. At the same time, if a discussion is about how to have fun, it'd be stupid for an efficient player to put their nose in there with inappropriate discussion. Everyone can't be knowledgeable about everything, thus it makes sense for people to pick what they post about(there have been quite a few people saying that they feel uncomfortable about posting on some discussions, which is normal as i see it).

As for the guy i'm quoting(as we can't name names), he is the only person i genuinely feel is being poisonous for many discussions and, more often than not, tries to derail topics and flame others for no apparent reason. Don't get me wrong, even he can be helpful, but somehow, he always seems to come in and insult people the others would categorize as efficient. Makes you wonder...

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

I find it hilarious sometimes that people feel like TIF is going down the drain based on the posts and discussions of ONE board. There's plenty of thriving community in other areas like OT. Sure, GD has a lot of traffic, but it does not define the community in my opinion.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

no, there are people who are just plain stupid - like, illogical. they don't realize what they say makes very little sense.

i am often wrong about the "best way" of doing things. but rarely do i say anything that makes no sense at all.

there is nothing wrong with playing a game for fun. it's fine if you want to do things your way. but when you start claiming that your way is more optimal than mine at achieving X, at least provide some kind of coherent argument for yourself. also, if you say something which is clearly WRONG, i will call you out on your ignorance. there is nothing wrong about that. call me elitist or whatever, but if you are clearly just being stupid i want you to know it.

and g-troll, please just gtfo lol, all you do is flame and provide little backing for your ridiculous statements. i have very rarely heard you say anything productive or backed on reasonable facts. look at the "RSOF idiot" TIF join dates. they are roughly the same as yours, save 1-2 years. my old account for TIF is from like '03 or something.

i think most of the "efficiency freaks" will agree with me in that we are annoyed when people are IGNORANT, not when people are INEFFICIENT. there is a huge difference.

sigcopyaf.png

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

The game is growing older and people want to become "good" by being more efficient than players were several years ago. Rate this is just friends giving friends good rates for the fact that they are friends and if you aren't popular you'll have people trolling and giving harsh posts because an achievement isn't good in their eyes. Blogscape is spam and rarely moderated like Tripsis stated. Off-topic is the only place I frequent now, it's not any better than the rest of tip.it but it isn't any worse.

I never really seen meme's and such on these boards a few years prior so I assume that has become more popular in recent times. No place is perfect so I guess i'll continue to read the great advice that the "efficient nerds" give out. I really do not see why people blame those people to be the demise of tip.it when they actually try to create logical arguments which is healthy for a discussion board. It's normally people like xpx was referring to who intervene in the discussion and troll/incite flaming on both ends of the spectrum.

Thats what I see in this community. :unsure:

Low_C.png

There needs to be a rule, that arguments should never involve attacks directly towards a user. Right now, the only resemblance of a rule that is similar to this is naming people in a negative light, but I don't think that in itself is enough to justify this problem.

That is covered by section 1.3 - Flaming, Violence, Harassment & Pointless Vulgarity. Personal attacks, flaming, insults and harassment are not permitted. If you see them, please report them :)

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

The General board isn't a strong community. It never has been. That's why people over the years have established their own "sub-communities" in the form of clans, websites and CCs to gather more like-minded people.

Those different groups don't come to share tea on the general board now, they come to openly oppose each other. Frankly, you need to pretty thick-skinned to post any kind of contradictory opinion on here without being shouted down by some other person for allegedly being "wrong" in their "well informed" opinion. It's a caustic environment where a diversity of opinion is no longer tolerated, and it doesn't bring out the best in people or make for much tolerance. The saying, "If you haven't got anything nice to say, don't bother saying it," is pretty much dead here.

The CC I use is generally friendly with each other, so... I'm happy that my 'community needs' are being met.

I've been around this game for 9 years, this site the same. I'd be willing to bet serious money that you could gather 20 members at random - ask them to write down what time frame "is the best" in forum history and you're going to get about 15-20 different times.

You're going to get about 10 different definitions of flaming and about 10 different versions of what people think debating is - it's rather humorous.

What has changed about the community? The intelligence level has been the same for a very long time in my view, and thats not a compliment - the game, not just this forum has been operating near inbreed ineptness for years - people debate by restating the same flawed arguments differently - by replying to posts with the reading comprehension of a three year old - because theres no way a highschool educated poster can read over half of these posts and reply the way they do, completely glossing over the prior points and counterarguments raised.

Does the community have less respect? it hasn't had respect for the past half-decade - It won't change overnight

The only reason any of what i've mentioned so far is noticeable on this forum is because about 5 years ago - the staff banned people for anything - disagreement with staff policies in public, breathing the wrong way - Tip.it had a very negative reputation that it didn't really recover from for years - it takes awhile to heal bad reputations for quick banning. Now we try to follow the rules and reform users instead of being authoritarians that are overzealous. This was cried out for years by the users, ignored and evident by the lack of activity.

One thing that has changed and maybe thats because I am an admin now is the level of hypocrisy of users - some people actually debate with post - reply to counter arguements with something that doesn't make sense - while reporting the post they are replying too - it's like they can't handle being shown publicly they are wrong - it's amusing. People also get offended over the drop of the hat - maybe they just want the people who destroy their flawed arguements gone - who knows.

Sure there are some jackasses , douchebags and trolls on the board that i'm sure if they left, the board would be more serene and "nicer" - but it would probably be a hell of a lot less active, because in the old days? in my rose tinted past? The intelligent people beat them down with logical intelligent posts that people rallied behind and laughed at the unintelligent or trolls - people could take being told "you're wrong". now they hide like cowards

life was good.

I'm going to ask a question, - You can't reply with Ban X.

Hello Tif, look at your Forums. now back to me, now back at your Forums, now back to me. This is tip.it, . look down, back up. where are you? you're on Tip.it. with me an admin who cares about the people want. what's in your head? type back at me. i have the power to try to make changes here. look again. close your eyes you are me and you are on a horse.

What would you do?

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

What would you do?

refreshing post and perspective

i would have you do nothing. things are fine the way they are.

dont ban people. thats silly

sigcopyaf.png

The clowns moved in.

Two can play that game.

Hey ever gotten over your cry baby guilt trip on kicking some little kids to curb at TDs?

And by stupid I think you mean people who don't play the "right" way. :rolleyes:

This is exactly the kind of attitude I was talking about in my original post. The Ancient said absolutely nothing to you two. He said that he points out when people are wrong. He would call someone stupid if they said that Corp drops dragon claws. How in the world did that warrant obvious personal attacks from you two? This is exactly the type of attitude that derails threads. You both take posts that have nothing to do with efficiency and turn them into something to do with efficiency, no matter how little sense it makes to do so.

Think before you post, children.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

irony...You begin to lecture on attitude and yet end your post with a comment calling them children?

Do you expect people to listen when you're posts are obviously written from an elitist perspective?

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

irony...You begin to lecture on attitude and yet end your post with a comment calling them children?

Do you expect people to listen when you're posts are obviously written from an elitist perspective?

I just logged in to say this ^

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

"choosing your path is the true trial", "the most honorable dilemma"

Yes.

dgs5.jpg

Well said, Das.

i've been a member since the early days of runescape and tip it, i use to always make posts, i had thousands of posts, but after i quit runescape and came back, i cant really bring my self to post or make topics on this forum anymore, its rare that i post now. The reason being the maturity of the forum members, and the replys. I definatly see were ur coming from and agree 100%

Hey Armagedon, long time no see. I think I made a pixel avatar for you way back when. But I have to disagree fundamentally with you on that opinion. You've been gone for several years. In that time you've probably matured a lot. It's not that forum members have become less mature. It's that you perceive what people say completely differently. If you graduated from highschool, and several years later came back to the lunchroom and tried having conversation, would you expect things to feel the same?

When I look back on my older posts, I had a completely different posting style. I responded to people differently and probably read what they posted differently. For whatever reason, people on this forum are almost universally unable to grasp the concept that they, not the forums, changed over a period of several years. Which just leads me to believe nobody has an even remotely close to objective point of view about this community. Why they think they have the authority to make the massive claim that an entire community and forum culture has changed is just beyond me.

Yes.

Then in effect you talk all day to say nothing. You will never win people to your side by hostile posts or posts written as to make people feel you think you're better than them - it's an endless cycle of contempt that will breed as bitterness only grows as an effect of elitist views being shoved down your throat.

No one is better than anyone - we all share the same common bound of humanity.

Abraham Lincoln

Yes.

Then in effect you talk all day to say nothing. You will never win people to your side by hostile posts or posts written as to make people feel you think you're better than them - it's an endless cycle of contempt that will breed as bitterness only grows as an effect of elitist views being shoved down your throat.

No one is better than anyone - we all share the same common bound of humanity.

I would have been a bit more respectful (EDIT: I originally typed 'respective,' lol?), but I already know that their responses will be something akin to "[bleep] off efficiency clown lololol," so I'd rather lecture them and belittle them in one go rather than lecture them then belittle them after they've responded stupidly.

dgs5.jpg

Yes.

That's not how it works.

If you insult people or talk down to them they'll only defend their perspective because they'll view you in a negative light and won't care about what you have to say. If you don't appear to have a condescending tone to people, they'll listen.

Oddment1.png