What happened to this community?

gremmy

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, sometimes some people just don't like the ways of others and want to impose their inputs.

Back to topic, care and concern only arises from friends and not from strangers... Acquaintances? Maybe. It depends how the person is.

It is up to the behaviour of people after all. Although times has progressed, it doesn't mean our thoughts have to follow those of the masses.

Yeah, like that zaryte bow

wait

recharge costs = ammo.

So, all melee weapons are overpowered, at least.

this combat triangle finally makes sense...

The nice players are still here. They probably just don't bother to post things anymore, because then they'll get flamed for being nice or something.

This. Is why generosity sucks.

One thing I noticed about tipit forums is that trolling is becoming more commonplace and the sad part is that it is becoming more acceptable.

On the other hand, trolling in RSOF is not permitted and the mods ACTUALLY bother to take care of it unlike the mods here. If you

wanted a topic locked because you don't want it opened anymore, don't count on the mods to do it for you.

I had 2 admins who never bothered to lock my topics (1 was being smart about it, too) and I remember there was one topic where people were spamming for 4 hours and the mods didn't even lock it until the topic reached 7 pages...lol.

I always get this "nervous" feeling on posting my opinions because of getting flamed by a smart

alec'y person. I never wanted to call tipit the "best" Runescape fansite. No, we are way far from it. I can probably tell you that from my experience,

there are several fansites and even clansites that have more mature users. Heck, RSOF is even becoming more mature probably because we

are too influenced by internet misdemeanors like /b/, Thanks to our freedom of posting images, gifs, and memes.

u mad bro?

See, this is what I'm talking about.

Acctually I feel the same way as you Clif about posting, to often do I see people being cut down, so I have to make sure my post is up to scratch and often If I don't know the topic well enough I won't bother.

Because the people that cut you down for being noobs say "you mad bro".

To be honest the real trolls are the ones who refuse to respond to the warrants of an argument and simply go "you trolling bro".

And thats exactly the crux of it... How many people these days do stuff that doesnt have the proverbial pot of gold at the end?

I do, and i know I can speak for others in my "clan" that do to. Its all about the journey, not the ending in my honest opinion..

I don't know which mod did this. I don't know why they did it. If they're looking for money, I can tell them I don't have any as I'm a student. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over 4 years of RuneScape. Skills that I have worked hard for and people like them can't take them away. If they give me my particles back now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for them, I will not pursue them. But if they don't, I will look for them, I will find them, and they won't like what'll happen

Yes. Ofc you feel the same way about my posts because they arent: trolling, funny, OMFG1337, intelligent, controversal, meme, etc. And ofc I will get flamed for it.

He was agreeing with you Btw. Might want to read what they say next time ;)

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

I think gaming in general breeds/aggregates people with an arrogant/rude attitude.

I just don't think it's a big deal.

It's just how things are, and I don't think it's just in Runescape.

If you let it get to you too much, you won't have much fun. Not in Runescape, nor in the majority of other online video game.

Naaxi.png

I think gaming in general breeds/aggregates people with an arrogant/rude attitude.

If you let it get to you too much, you won't have much fun. Not in Runescape, nor in the majority of other online video game.

"Noob tuber"

"quickscoper"

"spas[bleep]"

ETCETCETC

I agree.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

"Noob tuber"

"quickscoper"

"spas[bleep]"

ETCETCETC

I agree.

This is just a pet peeve, but.. You're wrong. You're not specific enough. MULTIPLAYER gaming almost always causes these player attitudes. Single-player gaming usually doesn't. :P

wl7w9j.png

I generally participate in General Discussion and Off-Topic. I noticed this problem a while back but figured the thread would only cause more flaming of me. I agree with statements made earlier in the thread regarding Tip.It's users all think they know best over a given subject. Admittedly, that includes me. I, too, have a list of users I would have to see banned (none of which have posted in this thread yet), and I'm sure some feel the same way about me. In fact, almost every post I make gets flamed (probably because of my low post count).

I read somewhere (local newspaper, I believe) back during the American election season of 2008 that when an individual from one side of an argument makes a statement, a member of the other side will instantly disagree with it, based on a previous and unrelated argument. Because of this, I feel this will continue so long as the the efficiency debates continue.

In regard to Off-Topic, their main problem is the individuals who think anyone who still plays RS that posts there is a troll. When I go there, I try to offer my input (which is usually contrary to the majority of the board) to offer some diversity to the discussion. Of course, it ends with my being flamed for having a different opinion, being called a troll, or just a general vulgar response.

The only individual that I "flame" would be the user (whom I won't name) who plays WoW but feels the need to talk about how much better it is than RS at any opportunity he gets in a RuneScape board (not even referring OT), and if anyone disagrees with him about how WoW is better than RS, they are met with a one-line, conceited, condescending, and arrogant reply about how "you're a kid" and how he "knows so much more than you." If he is not an obvious troll, I don't know who is.

And because I decide to put all of my thoughts into one post, as opposed to spamming the board with multiple ones, the "tl;dr" attitude of the majority of the users makes me want to post more when I totally get a response. Hence, my low post count. Seems like a vicious cycle, eh? Yeah, it does.

I'm sure I'm not alone in the pattern of "Oh I haven't posted in a while, why don't I contribute to this thread? No response, maybe I'll post again? Flaming? Maybe I won't post in this thread anymore. Hmm, let's check out this thread. Oh it's the same guy from the last one that flamed me. Let's check out one last thread in this board. Alright there's my really long post explaining how I feel. It's only been 20 minutes I'm sure someone will reply eventually. Alright, let's just check another board. Hmm same old boring threads... wait a new one! Oh never mind just another flame war, I won't even bother with this one. Well, back to what I was doing before I went to TIF!"

And the obligatory, inb4flaming-that's-not-flaming-by-your-definition-so-this-obviously-doesn't-apply-to-you, tll;dr, or my personal favorite, no reply at all <_< .

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

The only constant about this community is that it's members always complain that it's going downhill. In actuality, being here (not including SB) since 2004, I can say that I've seen very little change over the years. The only thing that changes drastically are users' individual perspectives on the community over time when they start getting bitter/cynical about things for whatever reason.

But thats mainly because it is rewards driven, isn't it? To get a true gauge on the community, you have to look at how people interact where theres no mutual gain involved...

And thats exactly the crux of it... How many people these days do stuff that doesnt have the proverbial pot of gold at the end?

If I went into more detail, that's what I'd say. Reward-driven team updates don't encourage real interaction. Nobody can force that. Unfortunately, the way the community is means that nobody will interact without that reward at the end, so it's a catch-22.

The procedure for writing for you guys is to PM a potential article to an editorial board member, right? :razz:

I think another part of the problem is that, through natural progression of time and the process in which the game has gotten easier, there are more high-leveled players now than ever before. These players feel a sense of entitlement to things, and when you pit them against each other for the best things--whether it's items or skills or money-making abilities--they become cut-throat. As far as MHing goes, there are not enough high-level monsters in the game to accommodate the drastic increase in high-level players (especially after Jagex's stupid [bleep]ing idea of having not one but TWO experience bonus weekends).

High leveled players are constantly trying to gain the edge on each other to usurp control of bosses; also, the power creep has made said bosses ridiculously easy. Have you been to Bandos lately? I went with a team of players who all had claws and overloads, and it was a [bleep]ing JOKE. A team of four people, and I have no doubt that we could successfully kill him without the tank using Protect Melee. We need new high-level bosses to challenge us and provide new rewards; then the strain on GWD would lessen some.

td2sig.jpg

The only individual that I "flame" would be the user (whom I won't name) who plays WoW but feels the need to talk about how much better it is than RS at any opportunity he gets in a RuneScape board (not even referring OT), and if anyone disagrees with him about how WoW is better than RS, they are met with a one-line, conceited, condescending, and arrogant reply about how "you're a kid" and how he "knows so much more than you." If he is not an obvious troll, I don't know who is.

I know exactly who you're talking about. The "kid" part gives it away and I already knew who it was after the first line and a half.

All I have to say about it....support. :thumbup:

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

i left for a year in 2009, came back this year may

and i do notice that the cummonity is a bit more...not as good as it was, less friendly, flamewars left and right :/

2nv5bvl.png
99 Firemaking 30-5-2010 | 99 Fletching 13-7-2014
TET-AU member:6-10-2010 - 21-10-2011

I know exactly who you're talking about. The "kid" part gives it away and I already knew who it was after the first line and a half.

Probably the only post in this thread that will be met with unanimous agreement.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Probably the only post in this thread that will be met with unanimous agreement.

Except by the person whom this is about, no?

Main Account - Max cape achieved 10th September 2011
Noob Account - 2300 total and climbing 

6CCmn.jpg

Except by the person whom this is about, no?

Even he can't deny it. ;)

dgs5.jpg

I say this again. If the personal conflicts between users here in this forum do not get cleared up, the flame wars will just become more frequent and common.

There needs to be a rule, that arguments should never involve attacks directly towards a user. Right now, the only resemblance of a rule that is similar to this is naming people in a negative light, but I don't think that in itself is enough to justify this problem.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

[bleep] me, why does this thread have to rear its head every god damn week?

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

People are mad, they make threads like this slamming the community, people get flamed on these sorts of threads, and then they make more threads like this saying that they've been flamed.

IT'S A HORRIBLE CYCLE!

dungensweapers.png

JOIN CHICKENSWEEPERS TODAY! FUN, FREE, AND IT WON'T MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'VE JUST BEEN ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS, OR YOUR MONEY BACK!

[bleep] me, why does this thread have to rear its head every god damn week?

People are mad, they make threads like this slamming the community, people get flamed on these sorts of threads, and then they make more threads like this saying that they've been flamed.

IT'S A HORRIBLE CYCLE!

Mind = blown.

dgs5.jpg

IT'S A HORRIBLE CYCLE!

Hell yeah. People really need to stop taking offense at every single flame that they receive.

Besides, can't we just keep this all on one continuous thread? When a new one of these pops up, it kinda gets annoying as well as redundant.

Or better yet, we shouldn't even have these type of threads on these forums.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

I'm sorry if you find it annoying, but I just haven't seen those threads, and I'm genuinely wondering what happened. In my subjective eyes, the community have changed. Maybe I've changed, maybe it's a natural tendency, I don't know, but I certainly didn't create it to offend anyone. :mellow:

Dragon drops: 82 (2 claws)

Dagannoth kings drops: 73

Barrows item count: 51

GWD drops: 54 (5 hilts: 1x bandos, 3x saradomin, 1x zamorak)

Whips: 4

Sigils: 1x spectral (FFA), 1x arcane (FFA)

I'm sorry if you find it annoying, but I just haven't seen those threads, and I'm genuinely wondering what happened. In my subjective eyes, the community have changed. Maybe I've changed, maybe it's a natural tendency, I don't know, but I certainly didn't create it to offend anyone. :mellow:

Flaming thread is one example of those threads.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not offended. I just don't see any reason to have these type of discussions here.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog