What happened to this community?

gremmy

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

once again, tip.it has twisted the topic to "efficiency clowns" vs " 'nice' people"

No, one person did.

Das was talking about how people should show respect to each other without resorting to elitism. Not once did he mentioned efficiency.

irony...You begin to lecture on attitude and yet end your post with a comment calling them children?

Do you expect people to listen when you're posts are obviously written from an elitist perspective?

Yes.

Then in effect you talk all day to say nothing. You will never win people to your side by hostile posts or posts written as to make people feel you think you're better than them - it's an endless cycle of contempt that will breed as bitterness only grows as an effect of elitist views being shoved down your throat.

No one is better than anyone - we all share the same common bound of humanity.

I would have been a bit more respectful (EDIT: I originally typed 'respective,' lol?), but I already know that their responses will be something akin to "[bleep] off efficiency clown lololol," so I'd rather lecture them and belittle them in one go rather than lecture them then belittle them after they've responded stupidly.

By doing that you're only reinforcing what you hate most. You're creating conflict when it had not existed previously. Nobody is asking for you to critique them. You think you have to lecture people? Belittle them? The fact that you assume they will have a stupid response only makes your case worse. I'd straight up consider changing your posting style because you're just setting yourself up for frustration. The fact that I'm even responding in such a manner is really making me feel like you're just trying to troll right now.

I would have been a bit more respective, but I already know that their responses will be something akin to "[bleep] off efficiency clown lololol," so I'd rather lecture them and belittle them in one go rather than lecture them then belittle them after they've responded stupidly.

Woulda/Coulda/Shoulda is all it takes for someone to see your post and label you a jackass out of the box. On the internet all we have to make a first impression is our ability to type words well and how we word them.

Personally I don't see why people get their panties in such a bunch over efficiency - it's a bloody game, play it how you want too - as long as it is legal and get your levels and have FUN - if you don't like how someone else plays - Who the freaking hell are you to judge them really?

I remember in classic - this idiot named oergg walked around maging cows and just jerking around and i thought - hey he's a noob when it comes to runescape - but you know what? that noob was one of the coolest people i've ever met on this game and a good friend years later - as for his skills? He eventually had fun leveling and passed me in total and became a pretty serious pvp'er - a better pvper than i ever was. People will change playstyle over the years and you know what - WHO CARES - it's a game, where you have fun.

Lecturing and belittling someone does nothing but breed contempt - maybe if you followed a management model of compliment, critism, compliment - but a holier than thou perspective does nothing but turn people off.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

once again, tip.it has twisted the topic to "efficiency clowns" vs " 'nice' people"

No, one person did.

Das was talking about how people should show respect to each other without resorting to elitism. Not once did he mentioned efficiency.

Can you quot bladewing's post again, and then BOLD the part where he said Das?

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

No, one person did.

Who cares who he named or didn't name.

but to me he didn't name anyone except said "I was an elitist because I knew they would of called me an efficiency noob"

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

No, one person did.

You misunderstood. GW said one person, rather than tip.it as a whole, twisted the topic (which wasn't really the case to begin with, it went on a four or five post tangent. Who really cares?) He just mentioned Das to point out that on the whole we were still on topic. But off topic, I'm beginning to think that this obsession with staying on-topic is becoming an old relic of our community. It's always been stressed in the rules, but I don't see there being anything wrong with side conversation. Forcing conversation to go one way or another isn't really organic for a forum as long as it's kept respectful/intelligent. It will always come back to the original topic at hand just by how threads are structured.

No, one person did.

but to me he didn't name anyone...

That was my point...Thanks for your understanding.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

The point I was making is that "Tip.It" doesn't keep resorting to this Efficiency argument, only one person does because they critique and lecture people all the time without ever needing to or being wanted to, and then gets his knickers in a twist when people reply to him with retorts. Treat your neighbour as you yourself would want to be treated.

You can't keep bringing every topic on the general board to the same [bleep]ing topic of "Effiency", making comments like "lol 70 Ranged" and then whining when people tell you to shut up.

I'm sick of it.

Just play the game the way you want to, and if you genuinely want to help people, hang around the Help & Advice board or apply to become a Crew member and put your 'elitism' to good bloody use. Outside of those contexts, just keep your snobbish opinions to yourself.

No, one person did.

I don't really give a damn if people flame me anyway. I'm a big boy, I can take it :P

Anyways, about staying on topic... as long as we are having an intelligent conversation, asides what happened to the community is such a big assed topic it can't be summarized in a "Stay on topic" kinda way

Abraham Lincoln

Technically, this thread isn't an article, but I feel it's close enough to call it a Self-Demonstrating Article.

Now, as to the topic at hand.... I pretty much agree with Das. People are stating the same arguments over and over, reworded into a different form - until they reach flaming, where they just flame each other until everyone says "screw it, this thread is going to die". And it's not good.

Some people just need to learn to accept that either they're wrong, or that the debate is relative and pointless and that everyone should just move on.

a70c7.png

No, one person did.

Oh boy

Scientists have come to the conclusion that in texts and e-mails, 40 percent of what we are trying to say is interpreted incorrectly.

How does that happen? Fun fact: when you’re speaking to someone, only seven percent of what the other person is understanding is in the words. More or less, your words are close to meaningless, because in conversation, 93 percent of communication isn’t “said” through what you’re saying, it’s the result of your vocal tones and body language. Example: Someone gives you a dead rat for a present. You say, “I really don’t want that.” Chances are near 100 percent that what really clued this other person into how you’d rather die than accept that deceased rodent as your own was due much more to your disgusted facial and body posturing and your revolted tone, rather than your dialogue itself, despite the fact that your words conveyed your message clearly enough. But passing on these subtleties through texting can be a challenge, and if 40 percent of your text is misunderstood, can you be sure this other person really understands you?

I don't really give a damn if people flame me anyway. I'm a big boy, I can take it :P

You are confusing me....

I said nothing about people flaming you.... :unsure:

General statement as i'm sure someone will reply - get upset by my reply and debate me hard back and then someone will report them for no good reason Lol

Abraham Lincoln

Das asked "what would I do"...

I'd do the same thing as he is doing right now... Be present... Corner the obvious jerk with logical, reasoned and backed-up arguments until everyone sees that person (in this case it happens to be Obtaurian, but there are others) for what he or she really is, including that person so he can learn from it and change his ways...

Das did that with varying degrees of success to me on more then one occasion, and I know its helped...

That is what Tip.it can do to change the community for the better as so many people seem to desire: jump straight into the conflict where rules are not broken, but feelings are still hurt with borderline insults, sarcasm, and general negative vibe spreading...

If they happen to drive the perp away from these boards because he refuses to see the err of his ways, then so be it... It's not bullying when you stand up to a bully...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

TBH I think it is the addition of high level content. Back in the day, getting something up to even 85-90 was a really good level. And having something that high, or having a 99, usually meant that you didn't have any other really high skills. I mean, I remember when the number 1 ranked players were people who just had 80s in all stats....maybe a couple 99s.

Now, with the addition of stuff like overloads, steel titan, etc, people are pressured to haul ass and get "good" levels. I remember when people would just get like level 30 in most skills, get 50s in a couple skills, and then do 1 or 2 skills that they really enjoyed and get those skills to 80 and beyond.

Also, you had some real options when it came to making money. Especially when you look back to RSC. Whether you were fishing sharks, mining coal, collecting dragon bones, theiving, cutting logs....everything was roughly even. Nowadays, making money via combat is so obsecenely high that there is not even really a point to doing most skills aside from getting skill total.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

I wouldn't ask Das to do anything, but rather I ask the intelligent members of this forum, the ones that are reading this post and NOT replying, to start posting again...please! I know you're out there because when topics like this come up, you all come out of the woodwork to give an off-hand remark about how things were better before. Well, why don't you start posting again and make things better instead of reminiscing about the past.

End soapbox.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Das asked "what would I do"...

I'd do the same thing as he is doing right now... Be present... Corner the obvious jerk with logical, reasoned and backed-up arguments until everyone sees that person (in this case it happens to be Obtaurian, but there are others) for what he or she really is, including that person so he can learn from it and change his ways...

Das did that with varying degrees of success to me on more then one occasion, and I know its helped...

That is what Tip.it can do to change the community for the better as so many people seem to desire: jump straight into the conflict where rules are not broken, but feelings are still hurt with borderline insults, sarcasm, and general negative vibe spreading...

If they happen to drive the perp away from these boards because he refuses to see the err of his ways, then so be it... It's not bullying when you stand up to a bully...

It's not always as black as white as you're describing. I think you're right to an extent: by calling people out on points they make that are completely abrasive you expose them for being bad for the community. But for the most part, rather than taking matters into your own hands, because you're far from objective over whether or not a person should stay within a community, you might want to leave that to the staff. That's their job to remove members like that because they can discuss the matter in full amongst themselves, not a group of posters who decide to take matters in their own hands. Because half the time it's just a troll who is baiting you for a reaction to make a thread generally go downhill and you can't fight against that.

TBH I think it is the addition of high level content. Back in the day, getting something up to even 85-90 was a really good level. And having something that high, or having a 99, usually meant that you didn't have any other really high skills. I mean, I remember when the number 1 ranked players were people who just had 80s in all stats....maybe a couple 99s.

Now, with the addition of stuff like overloads, steel titan, etc, people are pressured to haul ass and get "good" levels. I remember when people would just get like level 30 in most skills, get 50s in a couple skills, and then do 1 or 2 skills that they really enjoyed and get those skills to 80 and beyond.

Also, you had some real options when it came to making money. Especially when you look back to RSC. Whether you were fishing sharks, mining coal, collecting dragon bones, theiving, cutting logs....everything was roughly even. Nowadays, making money via combat is so obsecenely high that there is not even really a point to doing most skills aside from getting skill total.

This.

td2sig.jpg

I wouldn't ask Das to do anything, but rather I ask the intelligent members of this forum, the ones that are reading this post and NOT replying, to start posting again...please! I know you're out there because when topics like this come up, you all come out of the woodwork to give an off-hand remark about how things were better before. Well, why don't you start posting again and make things better instead of reminiscing about the past.

End soapbox.

This is what i'm talking about, I see so many people reading, Good posters - quality intelligent people.

Yet they remain silent.

Today is your day

The community is YOURS.

Seize it.

Abraham Lincoln

We should have a rally or something...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

okay i'm gonna reclarify some stuff cause my post got kinda blown out of proportion and context

[hide=a bunch of quotes]

but to me he didn't name anyone except said "I was an elitist because I knew they would of called me an efficiency noob"

Anyways, about staying on topic... as long as we are having an intelligent conversation, asides what happened to the community is such a big assed topic it can't be summarized in a "Stay on topic" kinda way

[/hide]

i definitely know i wasn't addressing das, his posts seemed very well thought out and applicable, particularly liked this bit he wrote:

I'm going to ask a question, - You can't reply with Ban X.

Hello Tif, look at your Forums. now back to me, now back at your Forums, now back to me. This is tip.it, . look down, back up. where are you? you're on Tip.it. with me an admin who cares about the people want. what's in your head? type back at me. i have the power to try to make changes here. look again. close your eyes you are me and you are on a horse.

What would you do?

one more thing i'd like to address:

You misunderstood. GW said one person, rather than tip.it as a whole, twisted the topic (which wasn't really the case to begin with, it went on a four or five post tangent. Who really cares?) He just mentioned Das to point out that on the whole we were still on topic. But off topic, I'm beginning to think that this obsession with staying on-topic is becoming an old relic of our community. It's always been stressed in the rules, but I don't see there being anything wrong with side conversation. Forcing conversation to go one way or another isn't really organic for a forum as long as it's kept respectful/intelligent. It will always come back to the original topic at hand just by how threads are structured.

there's a difference between slightly off topic tangent posts and the cancerous trend of twisting every god damn thread into "how mean the efficiency people are" and "how stupid the inefficiency people are".

I don't usually post anymore in general discussion because it does feel that you have to watch what you say for the people who are big into their efficiency as people say (so not to offend them). I just like to play it the way that feels right to me, I don't usually play for skill levels anymore but just mess about, a lot more fun then instead feeling it as a grind.

who cares what other people think of your gameplay. Are we that thin skinned?

Seriously - what can be done to make this a better community? anything?

Abraham Lincoln