The return of staking??

CallmeNice

Duels where you box/whip with no movement on were based on first hit and luck, yes.

To some degree, yes, there's luck involved (and of course first hit). But it's so much more than that. It's like saying poker is pure luck. Sure...to a degree. If you're a good statistician, you should be a good staker.

That analogy doesn't work. Poker is all about decision making and composure on top of luck. What you do during a round affects your chances of winning the hand. In strict-rule staking, with the same weapon and spec weapon, the only elements are first hit and whether or not you keep attacking the whole time. What makes you a good staker or not is how often you get the first hit and your capital (which lets you keep going for longer before being "cleaned"). The only real strategy is guessing when the right time to quit is, and that has nothing to do with stats.

That's not true. If it were, I would not have been able to win from 0 to billions several times over and over. No, I wasn't cleaned, but I have quit many times.

Decision making: exactly. Knowing how much to stake, who to stake, what rules for different stats, etc. It's just luck if you're a maxed out staking another maxed out, I agree with that. Otherwise, I completely disagree. And I'm not just talking about 1 prayer people staking people of their level, there are strategies for almost any combat type. Example: if a 99 attack 45 def 99 strength wants to stake a 70 attack 70 defense 99 strength, the 70 defer should ask for boots on (or shields if the 45 defer is stupid enough).

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imo, RS Duels are more like Tic-Tac-Toe. Whoever makes the first mistake loses, generally speaking, and the rest is up to luck.

The actual "staking" part of it, though, magekillr's post makes perfect sense to me.

Decision making: exactly. Knowing how much to stake, who to stake, what rules for different stats, etc. It's just luck if you're a maxed out staking another maxed out, I agree with that. Otherwise, I completely disagree. And I'm not just talking about 1 prayer people staking people of their level, there are strategies for almost any combat type. Example: if a 99 attack 45 def 99 strength wants to stake a 70 attack 70 defense 99 strength, the 70 defer should ask for boots on (or shields if the 45 defer is stupid enough).

Well, there we have it. I took it for givens that we were discussing high level staking because it's the highest level of risk. If you are talking about random low levels staking tiny amounts, then yes, strategy starts to come into play.

I was talking about maxed melee fighting each other with all slots except weapon off, dragon dagger specs with whip normal weapon.

2496 Completionist

I was always a fan of the 70-40-70 Verac build. Depending on other combat stats you would be in the 70 combat range. And would be very lethal to any pures (as long as mage was turned off). Begin with dds spec followed by Verac set effect. Yeah the wagers weren't as high, unless you found a pure with a big bankroll who is cocky. I have actually started a new Verac staker as I lost the info on my original one.

peace,

Vann

I was always a fan of the 70-40-70 Verac build. Depending on other combat stats you would be in the 70 combat range. And would be very lethal to any pures (as long as mage was turned off). Begin with dds spec followed by Verac set effect. Yeah the wagers weren't as high, unless you found a pure with a big bankroll who is cocky. I have actually started a new Verac staker as I lost the info on my original one.

peace,

Vann

I was originally a 70-50-70 Verac staker, and yes you pretty much destroyed anyone your own combat level, except for other Verac stakers. But you're right in that the wages were never anything really special.

Now that I've trained a bit in the GE era and can no longer be that type of staker... I'm going for 90-75-90 with 99 magic and ranged. I have 60 prayer at the moment as well. I'm not sure what I should do with that the moment, so I'm just leaving it as it is. :)

FairTraders.net (Merchant Guides + Grand Exchange Update Notifier)

Get FREE Grand Exchange updates through the website, by email, or through your mobile device!

ftsig.png

Well, there we have it. I took it for givens that we were discussing high level staking because it's the highest level of risk. If you are talking about random low levels staking tiny amounts, then yes, strategy starts to come into play.

I was talking about maxed melee fighting each other with all slots except weapon off, dragon dagger specs with whip normal weapon.

THe biggest amount of cash didn't revolve around the mains & maxed people (besides in 2007 being maxed was something rarely seen). The big amount does revolve around those lv 80-100 stakers who are build specifically for staking! (and start building new characters as soon as your staker gained 1-2 extra lvls).

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Can't wait for idiots to mage stake with autocast. lol.

Also beware of ddosing.

Started free trade with 1.5m cash. 2 weeks later, have hit max cash 2x.

PvP drops: 359 Brawling Gloves, 11 Vesta's Longswords, 41+ Zaros/Ancient Statues

9 Dragon Full Helms, 3 Dragonfire Shields on the old PvP loot system

Brawler guide is being finished!

Why would auto-casting effect it? If you are just blood barraging or something why would autocasting matter.

Obstacle arena.

I'm looking forward to staking again! I forget which world was the staking world now, was it 12 or 27? Anyways, will be fun to see how packed that world will be.

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

Why would auto-casting effect it? If you are just blood barraging or something why would autocasting matter.

Obstacle arena.

I'm looking forward to staking again! I forget which world was the staking world now, was it 12 or 27? Anyways, will be fun to see how packed that world will be.

22 in members.

The_Diamond.png

1593th to 99 Farming - July 08.

Can't wait for idiots to mage stake with autocast. lol.

Also beware of ddosing.

Don't gotta worry about DDOS if you don't go to any other forums/use IRC

ddossing is pretty much outdated. Any half decent ISP nowadays catches a ddos attack when the target is a consumer (which consumer would have lots of meaningless attempts at retrieving data?). So they're effectivelly trying to ddos a whole ISP -.-

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

THe biggest amount of cash didn't revolve around the mains & maxed people (besides in 2007 being maxed was something rarely seen). The big amount does revolve around those lv 80-100 stakers who are build specifically for staking! (and start building new characters as soon as your staker gained 1-2 extra lvls).

If you are talking about the biggest consistent stakes (multiple partyhats/hundreds of millions), these were all in the maxed combat range. "Staking pures" sometimes staked phats but much more commonly in the 1-50m range...minor rares, cash in that range, etc.

If you are talking about sheer volume of cash traded, I agree it was in that range. But the highest per stake was still at the high levels.

Also keep in mind that many more people are maxed now and some staking pures ruined their stats after the trade restrictions.

2496 Completionist

this

kinda funny, i saw the poll and wanted to do some research and came upom an article i wrote myself.

Since then I've gone on to have a semi-professional career in poker, and I can attribute some of the success i've had to the lessons i learned through high stakes duelling on runescape.

I was just looking at that article and felt proud about being able to recognize an unprofitable situation (rs2 staking as we knew it) and being able to move on to something else.

Unfortunately, when it comes to 1v1 runescape duels there is just not enough depth to the combat system for the better players to enjoy enough of an advantage to reap the rewards of their superior skills.

The return of staking? I voted yes... and an emphatic yes, but mostly because i am a degenerate and cant wait to get my gamble on.

The return of staking? I voted yes... and an emphatic yes, but mostly because i am a degenerate and cant wait to get my gamble on.

And here's the other point i neglected to mention when I wrote that article. I felt very strongly at the time that the staking scene was full of young/underage people getting a taste (and developing an addiction) to gambling and while it was in a somewhat harmless arena (ummm, omg i lost some mmorpg gold), developed habits and addictions that I felt were pretty dangerous to their RL lives long term.

When the duel update took place, I was frustrated that I couldn't stake anymore, but I realized that it was an aspect of the game that was not appropriate for the vast majority of the paying members.

Excited for the update, but unless there is an edge to be had you wont see me at world6 draynor or world66(or whatever it was) duelling arena.

What kind of staker will be the best?

Assuming that special attacks and armour aren't allowed, I'd say Corrupt Vesta's Longsword pures at 20 att 99 str 79 mage/range and 99 con are pretty strong.

Or a summoning tank, but for large stakes, I'm sure Summoning would be disabled.

Perhaps Zgs Freeze->Dragon Halberd, in a no range/mage fight?

Hmmm...

I still feel that someone who has high Defence and Attack with low Strength will destroy anyone, all it takes is someone rich enough to own Elysian shield (sp?) with Vesta or some-sort of strong armour and they'll be pretty much unbeatable, don't forget there is % damage soaking now.

I still feel that someone who has high Defence and Attack with low Strength will destroy anyone, all it takes is someone rich enough to own Elysian shield (sp?) with Vesta or some-sort of strong armour and they'll be pretty much unbeatable, don't forget there is % damage soaking now.

That depends if anyone is dumb enough to stake someone like that or has similar accounts or fights you with your rules.

And Elysian requires prayer.

SOS_100x100.png

Help drive change Canada

That depends if anyone is dumb enough to stake someone like that or has similar accounts or fights you with your rules.

And Elysian requires prayer.

thats divine

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

You're severely underestimating the amount of staking related bugs. :wink:

like? :wink:

your such a mother [bleep]er. whats with all this bombchu [cabbage]? all everyone who likes this [cabbage] is stupid. ur a [bleep]ing cheater. u did that the wrong way, thats not how to get past the king zora u cheater. u suck and i wont continue watching all ur [cabbage]! videos

he mad?

As for what I said about Elysian, yes it requires Prayer so ignore that, so lets just say people might just use Dragonfire Shield.

whats better though. the soak on obby shield or the defence bonus on the dfs

your such a mother [bleep]er. whats with all this bombchu [cabbage]? all everyone who likes this [cabbage] is stupid. ur a [bleep]ing cheater. u did that the wrong way, thats not how to get past the king zora u cheater. u suck and i wont continue watching all ur [cabbage]! videos

he mad?

As for what I said about Elysian, yes it requires Prayer so ignore that, so lets just say people might just use Dragonfire Shield.

whats better though. the soak on obby shield or the defence bonus on the dfs

Or the soak in the Torva armour that's going to be released in a few weeks lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait to reak havoc on these new kids.

I've been practicing with old staking buddies new methods, combos, strategies with new gear-we have learned so much.

Sooooo ready to bring W22 back.. along with an audience like old times..

sig2di2.png

99 Magic achieved in December 2004.

99 Cooking achieved in Novemeber 2003.

743rd to achieve 80 Dungeoneering.

Won over 5.5 Bill staking in partyhats and cash.

RSC product account created in 2002.