Wilderness and free trade vote! - Now Closed

Jimmyw3000

576 members have voted

1. 1. Should Jagex reintroduce free trade and the old Wilderness?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Indifferent ...

I don't get why people are afraid of scamming.

Because people don't like losing their stuffs. I know how bad I felt when I got scammed off of 3m back in world 2 Falador. Really demoralizing.

Anyway, has anyone else seen the vote results as anything other then 90% yes, 8% no and 2% I don't mind?

I went in there before it was announced because I wanted to see if the petition had hit 2mill yet. The vote counter at about 300 votes and it was exactly those numbers. Went in at 50k, those numbers, 170k those numbers and now at 320k those same numbers.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because people don't like losing their stuffs. I know how bad I felt when I got scammed off of 3m back in world 2 Falador. Really demoralizing.

Anyway, has anyone else seen the vote results as anything other then 90% yes, 8% no and 2% I don't mind?

I went in there before it was announced because I wanted to see if the petition had hit 2mill yet. The vote counter at about 300 votes and it was exactly those numbers. Went in at 50k, those numbers, 170k those numbers and now at 320k those same numbers.

It seems to be extremely consistent. I've been checking every 15 - 20 minutes while playing with my graphics tablet and the ONLY change i have seen is 3% indifferent and 89% yes.

I think it is safe to say that Runescape wants it.

One of the things i haven't thought about is staking. I have seen a few others mention it, but i never really gave it any thought up until now. Surely this will mean the return of range tank staking. I had a low level tank (around 58) that was 50 defence and just under 70 range if i remember rightly. I used to get on some horrifically bad gear and then stake 1m - 2m per duel. I'd then trap them around the obstacles and tank their hits when they did catch me (rarely). I had about 75m wealth on a level 60ish account with easily obtainable stats, staking was bloody epic. I only have 70m on my main at the moment, haha.

As for scamming, just lol. In most cases i feel it is somewhat of a 'if you are stupid enough to fall for it you deserve to get scammed', which is mean but once someone is scammed once it is very rare they will be scammed for much ever again. Learn from your mistakes. Nowadays i could scam anyone out of anything, back when free trade was available it would have been a mission because everyone had been scammed for 5k when they were a noob and knew to not be so careless. Oh, by the way i didn't mean that i do/have scammed, i mean that the game is protecting them so much from basic crap that they are just being careless.

I saw a video on kenste's YouTube channel where someone was moaning about how Sparc Mac stole his blue party hat, because he said he would give it back. Really? So you have been stupid enough to trade away your item for junk on the basis of a promise, over the internet? I don't think anyone that careless has the right to moan about their loss, regardless of how big or small. Reintroducing free trade would make people aware of these things again, and not just trust everyone with everything.

Yall will have trouble beating my paint skills (just got a graphics tablet, couldn't help myself):

KbPPm.png

GuidesForScapers.png

Legalize baby punching. Tax and regulate it. Punch babies erry day.

But you never let it happen again, did ya? Learning from your mistakes is very important, and that's what many of the mid level players who started after 07 don't have, experience.

They don't know what it's like to lose your hard work to some pathetic scammer, but they also don't know how to deal with it; how we sucked it up and made sure to be extra careful in the future.

I'm not saying scamming is a wonderful life lesson and you have to be scammed to learn, but I'm saying that if it happens to you, it should never happen again, and therefore, it won't be such a huge deal after a while.

^Nice picture btw, love the tears in his eyes :thumbup:

Staurolite.png

Haha, except now they've got other excuses. Like, "Oh no! They voted on multiple accounts!" :boohoo:

It's not like skillers don't have multiple accounts. I thought everyone had more than one.

Well ... most of us don't. I have 2 ... because my 1st is banned. Anyways as I said previous in the thread even if you remove the multiple accounts the vote will be at best 80-15-5 .. so it's still pretty much representative. Even if we like it or not .. we have to accept it without excuses ;( since there are 300+k votes and for a representative sample of 200m population you need less than 10k* ...

*source either excel or http://www.raosoft.com/samplesize.html (1% 95% 200000000 50%)

Haha, except now they've got other excuses. Like, "Oh no! They voted on multiple accounts!" :boohoo:

It's not like skillers don't have multiple accounts. I thought everyone had more than one.

Well ... most of us don't. I have 2 ... because my 1st is banned. Anyways as I said previous in the thread even if you remove the multiple accounts the vote will be at best 80-15-5 .. so it's still pretty much representative. Even if we like it or not .. we have to accept it without excuses ;( since there are 300+k votes and for a representative sample of 200m population you need less than 10k ...

Well, i only have 4 accounts to which I remember the password :unsure:

It's cool to see someone opposed to this actually accepting vote results without thinking its rigged or something.

I accepted the changes 3 years ago without a vote at all, shocking, I know.

Staurolite.png

I'm not worried about getting scammed, I just used to get pissed off putting something up for sale on the forums that's in high demand and having every request be:

"I'll buy, meet me in Edge@bridge."

Jagex need a zero tolerance policy on scamming.

Out of all my years playing through classic and RS2 I can only remember one time somebody told me to meet them somewhere near the wildy. I started playing in 2002 and was only scammed twice; both times to different guys switching items at the last seconds. In my opinion scamming is perfectly fine, and in a way needed in the game. It makes the game feel more realistic and like you are actually playing with human being. Scammers make the game more risky and merchanting more entertaining. It keeps you on yours toes when trading.

I might decide to start playing the game again just for the entertainment of killing people luring traders into the wildy. Plus with the added risk of of being scammed and lured, less idiots will play the game. Free trade will hopefully weed out the kids and make the game as mature as it used to be.

I've only been scammed once, but it was a "Let's go into the wilderness and fight dragons but my clan will be waiting for you" scam. I'm not talking about being worried about being scammed, I'm talking about I'd like to be able to sell something on the forums without having every [wagon] who thinks he is capable of scamming spamming me with "lol I buy meet me at Edgeville." I used to sell resources on the forums in 2006/2007, and people telling me to meet them at the Edgeville bridge constituted 80% of my response base.

That's why I said that if Jagex bring this stuff back, they need to have a zero tolerance policy on attempted scamming. If you want a game where scamming is okay, go play something like Darkfall or Mortal Online where PvP is everywhere. I don't suggest playing Eve Online, because CCP has taken on a policy where if someone cancels their subscription and cites you specifically as the reason for them quitting, and they find you scammed the person, they will permanently ban you.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I'm not worried about getting scammed, I just used to get pissed off putting something up for sale on the forums that's in high demand and having every request be:

"I'll buy, meet me in Edge@bridge."

Jagex need a zero tolerance policy on scamming.

Out of all my years playing through classic and RS2 I can only remember one time somebody told me to meet them somewhere near the wildy. I started playing in 2002 and was only scammed twice; both times to different guys switching items at the last seconds. In my opinion scamming is perfectly fine, and in a way needed in the game. It makes the game feel more realistic and like you are actually playing with human being. Scammers make the game more risky and merchanting more entertaining. It keeps you on yours toes when trading.

I might decide to start playing the game again just for the entertainment of killing people luring traders into the wildy. Plus with the added risk of of being scammed and lured, less idiots will play the game. Free trade will hopefully weed out the kids and make the game as mature as it used to be.

I've only been scammed once, but it was a "Let's go into the wilderness and fight dragons but my clan will be waiting for you" scam. I'm not talking about being worried about being scammed, I'm talking about I'd like to be able to sell something on the forums without having every [wagon] who thinks he is capable of scamming spamming me with "lol I buy meet me at Edgeville." I used to sell resources on the forums in 2006/2007, and people telling me to meet them at the Edgeville bridge constituted 80% of my response base.

That's why I said that if Jagex bring this stuff back, they need to have a zero tolerance policy on attempted scamming. If you want a game where scamming is okay, go play something like Darkfall or Mortal Online where PvP is everywhere. I don't suggest playing Eve Online, because CCP has taken on a policy where if someone cancels their subscription and cites you specifically as the reason for them quitting, and they find you scammed the person, they will permanently ban you.

I agree. One thing we must really make clear to Jagex and the community at large is that, although scamming will be easier to carry out with free trade, it still isn't acceptable, and every effort needs to be made to prevent it. There's plenty of possible ideas here, which weren't really put forward because restricted trade locked everything down. For example, maybe either party can reverse a trade within 2 minutes of it occurring? We do have the Wilderness Wall now, though, that should stop anyone but the extremely foolish from going in.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Something I think is very strange is that there are, what, close to 300k votes for Yes?

The original poll...it had 1.2 million votes? Which means that on average, the people who support this move only voted 4 times. Doesn't that sound odd to you guys? I thought that the 1.2 million votes was mainly made up of people who page refreshed for hours on end and voted repeatedly but apparently each person voted an average of only 4 times. I know many people have multiple accounts but still...the difference between the ammount of people who voted on the initial petition is not nearly as much as I thought it would be.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Something I think is very strange is that there are, what, close to 300k votes for Yes?

The original poll...it had 1.2 million votes? Which means that on average, the people who support this move only voted 4 times. Doesn't that sound odd to you guys? I thought that the 1.2 million votes was mainly made up of people who page refreshed for hours on end and voted repeatedly but apparently each person voted an average of only 4 times. I know many people have multiple accounts but still...the difference between the ammount of people who voted on the initial petition is not nearly as much as I thought it would be.

selection bias; you are more likely to pay attention to people who spam voted. the vast majority of people who voted in the first poll probably only voted once, with a smaller proportion of people voting a lot of times

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

selection bias; you are more likely to pay attention to people who spam voted. the vast majority of people who voted in the first poll probably only voted once, with a smaller proportion of people voting a lot of times

Well even if 95% of the players only voted one time, that would mean that the remaining 5% only needed to vote an everage of 600 times per person. Yes, this is actually a lot of votes, but I was under the impression that a large portion of the votes came from some type of automated system that registered thousands of votes from individual users. Unless 99% of the users only voted one time, it would not require the remaining users to vote more than 1000 times.

I just thought it was interesting, because I know I voted 10 times in the original poll, which means I voted more than twice as much as the average player. And I really didn't even try that hard...I couldve voted much much more. I thought for sure that we were raking in 20+ votes per person.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

i joined pretty much to give my input on this, i dont see how the re-introducing free trade and wildy will make rs a worse game? bots might come but more could suddenly come tomorow theres no reason why not so why use this as a reason against it? the wild was what made runescape, it added danger and adventure at any level you were at and gave you a real reason to train your skills so you could hold your own in deepest wild, free trade increases the potential for good as well as scamming and im sure there will be so many aspects of the game that develop a much stronger sense community and hold genuine good will and respect towards each other, if it can happen in the wild it can happen anywhere and theres not many corners of the game that are untouched by the ability to trade freely. staking is sick cos it effects only the 2 people in the duel its between them and so its their choice what they do and if people can have fun and maybe strike rich by being the best fighter whats up with that.

dont want bots? tell jagex you want much tougher more immediate punishments and report them if you see em, if people want to see this happen then they also want to see it work and i dont think anyone would be against further improvements to take out bots or any other problems that come up? all this is doing is making the game a game again and not a series of tasks with not much real interaction with other players. free trade and wild mean you will have to rely on friends more and so players who are social and nice will find it easier to get by it will be who you know not what you know that will make more of a difference, a real incentive for positive play..?

Kids_l.jpg

Well, good fight restricted trade....I'll miss you.

On the other hand, making random noob pkers with friends will be fun again. And staking was always fun as well on accounts like def pures.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

No

never

ever

just no

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

This will result in one big chaos...

No it won't \:D/

Phase 3 - Will this update result in one big chaos ? (only no option)

Phase 4 - Will this update result in one big chaos ? (only I don't care option)

They have to fill the time between now and 14th january with some more phases you know ...

Not that i normally try and be provocative on these forums but honestly? All I am hearing is waa waa waa, effectively the first poll was a focus group to see if the community did want a change. It was flawed but now how can you possibly complain at the referendum? That is just being self-centred and stubborn in my opinion.

Moreover I am seeing some complaining about scammers, and well it all comes down to your ethics in life, if you believe that nothing comes cheap, or rather 'If it seems too good to be true, it probably is' then you wouldn't get scammed! And even more so if you think scamming is going to be a problem, rather than idly complain when it comes around I expect to see all of you out helping those naive in Lumbridge! :rolleyes:

Free trade and Wilderness in my opinion are not a problem and those who are contesting it are fully in their right too, you have a voice and can vote in this fair vote we have been given now! I just think, if you want to complain at least voice some real strong arguments! Rather than, 'bots may/may not come back' 'People are gonna get scammed real bad..' and 'How will we ever use Clan wars ever again.. ever with Pkers!'

Jus' sayin' :unsure: here come the flames :ohnoes:

6660_6.jpg

Don't get me wrong I'd love to have free trade back, but it makes me feel lightheaded to think about how much change and adjusting it will take, and on that line of though, how much room there is for mistakes. Jagex needs to tread very carefully for this to come anywhere close to success, as they risk undoing everything they've worked for and everything we've adjusted to for the past 3 years.

Personally, I have to say no, not because I'm worried about any scammers or the deterioration of any community further, but to the simple fact that I can't say I 100% trust Jagex to pull this off perfectly enough to make the change as seamless as possible.

It's going to be very rough and I wish there was an easy way.

Of course, I could very well be wrong and Jagex could completely change RS for the better, in which case I would be overjoyed. But being realistic here, I doubt that's going to happen. We survived 3 years of limited trade, and while at first it seemed horrible, it's really not so bad.

No

never

ever

just no

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

This will result in one big chaos...

No it won't \:D/

Phase 3 - Will this update result in one big chaos ? (only no option)

Phase 4 - Will this update result in one big chaos ? (only I don't care option)

They have to fill the time between now and 14th january with some more phases you know ...

It's called a referendum. It's the last word on the matter, as chosen by the people entitled to vote. End of story.

Moreover I am seeing some complaining about scammers, and well it all comes down to your ethics in life, if you believe that nothing comes cheap, or rather 'If it seems too good to be true, it probably is' then you wouldn't get scammed! And even more so if you think scamming is going to be a problem, rather than idly complain when it comes around I expect to see all of you out helping those naive in Lumbridge! :rolleyes:

I'd rather not get involved in dubious ethics here, but a lot of new players were scammed before the RWT updates and subsequently quit, and this game needs new players to survive. That's our real primary concern here.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Guys, please keep in mind when discussing the poll numbers that this poll is being held over Christmas. I'm sure there's hundreds, if not thousands who are busy and/or otherwise occupied this weekend.

Proud Gladiator

gladzorgrespected.png