Wilderness and free trade vote! - Now Closed

Jimmyw3000

576 members have voted

1. 1. Should Jagex reintroduce free trade and the old Wilderness?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Indifferent ...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case anyone is wondering, I calculated the a curve progression for the rate at which the votes are occurring, which yielded a Natural Logistic curve fit:

Number of Votes = 96760*ln(0.9914*Hours_Since_Vote_Started)

(see my live dynamic signature below for more data)

EDIT: Scratch that - here's a better equation using exponential growth:

Number of Votes = 72670*Hours_Since_Vote_Started^.4594

RuneTrack.com Founder

Quite a lot of the people posting keep saying that they don't want to die when they are wandering around the wilderness doing something. It seems people don't remember one really important aspect of the old wilderness. Most of the wilderness was empty all of the time. World 6 was Varrock wild multi pking, with small teams in lower wild, and larger teams out farther. World 18 was edge pking, single combat. If you were stupid enough to try to do something in the wilderness on either of those worlds then you probably would die, and that was entirely your fault.

You go to some other world besides 6 and 18, and the wilderness was much emptier. There would always be someone in edgeville, or varrock wild, but nothing requires you to walk up to them and tell them "oh hey, im walking out to the wilderness and if i die whoever kills me will get a whip, some karils, and a dds." It is quite easy to walk along the edge of the wild out of sight before going in. Also, old wild, if you were in combat with something in single, pkers cant interrupt, and if you are in single and the person after you gets attacked, you have like a 30 second break where they can't attack you.

Besides, nothing is stopping you from becoming a 3 itemer. Killing someone with dhide top and chaps, and a dds is simply not worth it. They don't lose anything, and you take damage.

Yes, sometimes you got ambushed, but that was a rare occurrence. After a week, the number of people pking will die down. There are not enough people to fill the wild on every world and keep you from doing some clue or whatever you are trying to do after they move most of the reasons for going to the wilderness out of the wild.

Really, the only thing that will change is you will get an adrenaline rush seeing a white dot, and you will have to call "Peace" and see if they agree. Nothing really that complicated or hard to do.

Lol come on now youre SUPPOSED TO BE SCARED.. in the old days it was common for someone to x-log at even the slightest hint of another white dot on the map.. GET THOSE REFLEXES UP SON!!

Staycw.png

"Kill anything that moves, Pick up anything that drops." -Really Tho-

I've been thinking. If free trade does come back how do you think it will impact the price of dragon bones? And the arcane and spectral spirit shields.

Also with the old wild if it comes back the fact that you get the actual items the player is holding instead of some stupid system that determines the drops you get based on x factors will be much better for the cash flow of the game. Less inflation due to no statues that bring in insane amounts of cash. That's both good and bad. Personally I would like to see this happen.

Why is everyone complaining about how hard clues will be now? Was it really that hard back then to do a clue? Whenever I did a clue I made sure I was ready to log out as soon as I saw a white dot. Did most of the people complaining about clues not play back then? I'm confused.

Clues weren't hard back then people are just flipping out because it's been 3 years since they have experienced or never experienced these simple tasks. Back then you just had to wear black d'hide and find a low population world to do clues peacefully. Now, mage bank lever might prove difficult.. I remember dying there a lot from tele-block but that was part of the territory.

Low_C.png

I have a bad feeling about this...

I'm fine with free trade and wild coming back, I just don't like not having the price in the GE. It's too difficult trying to keep track of the prices people sell things at... I like knowing what my items should be selling for...

But I did meet two people in school that used to play, and have some money they said they would give to me... :blink:

35b9enp.jpg

Lol come on now youre SUPPOSED TO BE SCARED.. in the old days it was common for someone to x-log at even the slightest hint of another white dot on the map.. GET THOSE REFLEXES UP SON!!

How the hell are you supposed to do that?....You're sitting in a chair, playing a damn computer game. :mellow:

I have a bad feeling about this...

I'm fine with free trade and wild coming back, I just don't like not having the price in the GE. It's too difficult trying to keep track of the prices people sell things at... I like knowing what my items should be selling for...

But I did meet two people in school that used to play, and have some money they said they would give to me... :blink:

I think they'll keep the mid price range. Just no max and minimum prices. I'm sure they have it worked out somehow to not make it pointless.

How the hell are you supposed to do that?....You're sitting in a chair, playing a damn computer game. :mellow:

I think you might want to look up "reflexes," because they have nothing to do with strenuous movement.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

Let me set things straight: I am not wholly opposed to free trade/PKing. There is no doubt AT ALL that the Clan World suffered immensely after the shift from old-style Wildy to BH/PvP worlds. Several clans died overnight, and the overall activity in the clan world has declined sharply since 2007. Several clans with long, proud histories have closed including DI, EH, and SE. It used to be common to see clans pull well over 399 opts... Now anything over 300 is considered an amazing pull. Most of the top clans pull somewhere around 240ish opts without preps.

And as far as free trade, I really do want that back. I enjoyed trying to haggle and wheel-and-deal in W2. I enjoyed spamming for hours trying to buy something cheap and then resell it for more money. I enjoyed being able to help out less fortunate friends when they died and needed help getting back on their feet. I enjoyed being able to buy a set of rune for real life friends who were low levels and were poor.

All I was saying is that people are so focused on what this update will bring and they're neglecting all the bad stuff it'll reintroduce. Item Scamming is a big thing that will return. Scamming was completely eradicated with the balanced-trade update and hasn't existed for two years; you're going to have a LOT of people who have never seen the common scam tactics end up getting scammed shortly after the trade limit is removed. Sure, you can argue that it's their fault for being careless/stupid, and it is, but I still feel sorry for them.

td2sig.jpg

Let me set things straight: I am not wholly opposed to free trade/PKing. There is no doubt AT ALL that the Clan World suffered immensely after the shift from old-style Wildy to BH/PvP worlds. Several clans died overnight, and the overall activity in the clan world has declined sharply since 2007. Several clans with long, proud histories have closed including DI, EH, and SE. It used to be common to see clans pull well over 399 opts... Now anything over 300 is considered an amazing pull. Most of the top clans pull somewhere around 240ish opts without preps.

And as far as free trade, I really do want that back. I enjoyed trying to haggle and wheel-and-deal in W2. I enjoyed spamming for hours trying to buy something cheap and then resell it for more money. I enjoyed being able to help out less fortunate friends when they died and needed help getting back on their feet. I enjoyed being able to buy a set of rune for real life friends who were low levels and were poor.

All I was saying is that people are so focused on what this update will bring and they're neglecting all the bad stuff it'll reintroduce. Item Scamming is a big thing that will return. Scamming was completely eradicated with the balanced-trade update and hasn't existed for two years; you're going to have a LOT of people who have never seen the common scam tactics end up getting scammed shortly after the trade limit is removed. Sure, you can argue that it's their fault for being careless/stupid, and it is, but I still feel sorry for them.

If they don't notice the big flashing red text alerting them of the scam, there's no hope for them.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

If they don't notice the big flashing red text alerting them of the scam, there's no hope for them.

Item swaps are only one of the methods people used to scam.

td2sig.jpg

The other ones are completely stupid though. "hey I'll buy spinach roll 10m" "selling spinach roll 1m!" "lol sucker" Cmon... Or even better "hey come near the wilderness I want to sell you something" with a pile of 20k dropped in the wild... I mean come on, how hard is it to tell when people are screwing you over?

The other ones are completely stupid though. "hey I'll buy spinach roll 10m" "selling spinach roll 1m!" "lol sucker" Cmon... Or even better "hey come near the wilderness I want to sell you something" with a pile of 20k dropped in the wild... I mean come on, how hard is it to tell when people are screwing you over?

Well, a lot of young naive kids play this game.

td2sig.jpg

Free trade is a different matter, but does anyone think PVP now is actually better now than it was before the changes?

Now...

* It's more profitable

Not really, it can be for those that only do rune edge pking and who are lucky, but for those who do high level bridding and lure teams and the like, you're 30 mil max mage kill is now 300k worth of statuettes and sharks.

* There's no PJing or tag teaming from clans in single combat

There still is a bit, but you're right, this isn't as bad anymore, mostly becuase of JAGeX's anti-pjing update, which I assume would carry through with the transfer back to old wild.

* There's less luring as there aren't many instances where people lure from single to multi in PVP worlds

I beg to differ, there is a ton of luring. I'd say a good 1/8-1/4 of my time in a team was doing single-to-multi lures.

* There's less 1 itemers as they get no reward if they don't risk 76k so it's not worth it

Very true, I won't deny this.

* Untradable items are lost on death - so those who wear untradables on every slot don't lose anything

I would much prefer being able to pick back up untradables, actually. Besides, most people didn't fight people with almost no risk, unless they were also very low risk. Besides, there's always the risk of being barraged so you can't get your items back.

* There's teleblock in F2P

Another good thing, I'll admit

* Everyone who wants to PK are together so it's easier to find fights (and people who won't just drop a spade), you don't have to go through many servers, and there's a level requirement to enter PVP worlds.

Most people pk'd in world 18 anyways, so it really isn't any easier or harder. Will be more fun to go pking in random worlds though, at least in my opinion.

* There's a time limit so people can't camp on the edge of the border and expect to be safe

Also a nice benefit I hope JAGeX will carry over with the change.

* There's an incentive to not teleport in the middle of a fight

True, I actually enjoy this as an honor pker.

* There's risk vs reward for people who want to train amongst PKers

This will kinda suck for those who used to train in PvP worlds, but oh well, that was a very small minority anyways.

* People who want to use the wilderness for collecting runes, training slayer or boss hunters can do so without having to cut down on their equipment

The better spawns and etc. in the wilderness should come with a level of risk attached to it.

* Level restrictions are more relaxed so there are more people you can fight

Not in BH worlds.

* You get targets so it finds a suitable opponent for you to fight

Eh, it's nice I suppose... But it isn't really that hard to find a suitable opponent anyways.

* There is something to aim for by there being hiscores for bounty hunting.

Meh, they really don't do a great job of saying who's good and who isn't, and I've never met a serious pker who actually cared about those anyways.

I realize you said this a while ago, but I thought I'd respond anyways. Answers in bold.

Also, I want to throw this out there in regards to training in the wild and stuff - I was playing on a pretty advanced private server this summer with a thousand or so active players at all times, with wilderness activities and an old wild style pk system - people really tend to ignore those training when they go pking. Of course on occasion you'll get the douchebag who tries to spec you out as you're running to the chaos tunnels, or as you're killing green dragons, but that's pretty rare. And that's on a server where 99% of the people playing are playing to PK on a single world, nevermind when you have hundreds of worlds open to you where not everyone is looking to pk.

ninja edit:

Maybe it's best for them to be taught a lesson. When i first started i got scammed my full mith, and it never happened again because i was a lot more careful.

I have to agree, and this has real life benefits too. I rarely trust online resources without double and triple checking the credentials, and I know what a scam looks like when I see one now. Being scammed in RS is actually pretty beneficial for the real world.

R.I.P Shiva and The Old Nite

Visit My Huge Goals!!! <---- Click This

My Pk Gallery

supdefnubew6.png

GWD: 3x Saradomin Sword, 2x Saradomin Hilt, 2X B Boots, 1x Tasset, 2X B Plate, 2X Shard, 1X D Med

TDs: 3x Solo Claws, 1x Solo Armour Piece

99 Untrimmed HP, 0% Pc'd and before Soul Wars -- Trimmed July 1, 2009

First Untrimmed HP Cape to 96 summon, top 300 to 96 summon

Proud owner of the strength, magic, range, and hitpoints capes.

Spa_Ins/LOLCANADA on IRC.

I'll first start off by saying that I didnt pk back in the day nor do I do now.

However I am voting YES for this change back because...

-Runescape needs some risk, some scammers, some danger.

Why scammers? they are bad, yes. However, back in the day we got scammed and learned from our mistakes and it was just a part of becoming an experienced player.

Now a days we have warning signs and wilderness ditches and confirmation trade screens that flash if anything was changed and to top it off, we are told how much everything costs.

To put it blunt, it has made the game very boring.

As for the argument that by bringing back free trade bots will become more abundant. Yes they probably will, but we have bots now, so now in addition to players using bots to boosts their stats, other will use bots to sell gp.

Honestly, people shouldnt care about what others do. I play this game to have fun and wouldnt pay one cent for fake money. Anyone that does I laugh at for paying real money for fake. Is it fair to those that work for gp? No. Life isnt fair and nothing really is

In the end i must say this whole thread of arguments is pointless. It is clear that the majority have voted to pass the change. So those that dont like it should either adapt or quit like we did when they changed it in 07.

B_ryan20.png

b_ryan20.png

Meh 1.2M votes in less than 24 hours? Another record!

Not even Lady Gaga had that many views per hour, nonetheless Justin Beeeber.

A good deal of those votes were people voting for other people, since the vote system didn't require anything other than a valid username. Iirc, people even set up voting bots to dig through the hiscores and vote for everyone on them.

a70c7.png

I'm not worried about getting scammed, I just used to get pissed off putting something up for sale on the forums that's in high demand and having every request be:

"I'll buy, meet me in Edge@bridge."

Jagex need a zero tolerance policy on scamming.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I'm not worried about getting scammed, I just used to get pissed off putting something up for sale on the forums that's in high demand and having every request be:

"I'll buy, meet me in Edge@bridge."

Jagex need a zero tolerance policy on scamming.

Out of all my years playing through classic and RS2 I can only remember one time somebody told me to meet them somewhere near the wildy. I started playing in 2002 and was only scammed twice; both times to different guys switching items at the last seconds. In my opinion scamming is perfectly fine, and in a way needed in the game. It makes the game feel more realistic and like you are actually playing with human being. Scammers make the game more risky and merchanting more entertaining. It keeps you on yours toes when trading.

I might decide to start playing the game again just for the entertainment of killing people luring traders into the wildy. Plus with the added risk of of being scammed and lured, less idiots will play the game. Free trade will hopefully weed out the kids and make the game as mature as it used to be.

Stellactic.gif