Wilderness and free trade vote! - Now Closed

Jimmyw3000

576 members have voted

1. 1. Should Jagex reintroduce free trade and the old Wilderness?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Indifferent ...

Tip.it slave auction RETURNS?? It was kinda lame to see it take a blow from trade limitations..

Ah the yearly auction! - was amazing :)

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus the return of the wage slaves ..... I mean w16 airs will be awesome. I remember having an addy smelting company that went really well at the Blast Furnace that became all be impossible with trade limits. I even like the idea of the Wilderness so long as it has real PKrs (guys actually risking items to make real kills), but sadly we'll just see the 1 itemer rushers all over the place.

Assuming the Wilderness comes back on all worlds, what are some legitimate changes to before should be made? Consider all the experiments on PvP and Bounty Worlds to help this case.

Here's one brought about with auto-skulling on PvP: Remove item protect prayer. EVERYONE saves one item, but non-skulled saves four items.

Here's another brought about from EP penalties on teleporting: NO teleporting in the wilderness if skulled.

Here's an oldie but goodie to stop 1 itemers: To see player kill drops, you must be risking at least 76k gp.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Plus the return of the wage slaves ..... I mean w16 airs will be awesome. I remember having an addy smelting company that went really well at the Blast Furnace that became all be impossible with trade limits. I even like the idea of the Wilderness so long as it has real PKrs (guys actually risking items to make real kills), but sadly we'll just see the 1 itemer rushers all over the place.

Assuming the Wilderness comes back on all worlds, what are some legitimate changes to before should be made? Consider all the experiments on PvP and Bounty Worlds to help this case.

Here's one brought about with auto-skulling on PvP: Remove item protect prayer. EVERYONE saves one item, but non-skulled saves four items.

Here's another brought about from EP penalties on teleporting: NO teleporting in the wilderness if skulled.

Here's an oldie but goodie to stop 1 itemers: To see player kill drops, you must be risking at least 76k gp.

Even if there are 1 itemers, teleporters, etc, it will be 10x better then today's stuff going on in PvP..so ya.

I must say that this news is already bringing out the worst in people.

Typical of TIF, atypical of the holiday season...

This is all hindsight. Everyone's already lost.

I read on these forums time and time again how much everyone hates all those "10/11/12/13/14 year olds" who "ruin the community".

People seem to be looking through, oh what's that cliche adage, extremely THICK rose-tinted glasses.

Right, if I were to in any way endorse that the "general population" consists of undesirables, at least right NOW they're not the genuinely mean kind, but rather the innocent and the ignorant and the slightly annoying.

Well no, that's not true either. We already had an inflow of the generic genuine assholistic when BH was introduced, and then again when PvP worlds came.

Enough beating around the George. Pre-trade updates, PKers and merchanters were [wagon]. [wagon] are going to come back in massive numbers and if you think the community is bad now you just wait and see.

At the moment PvP worlds are fine in that PKers are kept in their own little pens. Also, I'm QUITE SURE that statues and PvP gear make for more valuable drops than the old system did (rune sets and dragon scimmies!), and especially now that people use untradable weapons versus whips and godswords.

The only thing that bringing back PKing to the Wilderness on all worlds will accomplish is hurting people who want nothing to do with it, and lowering any actual gains for PKers besides.

[spoiler=I don't really like PK'ing or merchanting, despite having the means to do both.]Face it. Really, turn around, uncross your arms, tilt your gaze up, and look at it:

The combat system in RuneScape is pretty poor. The reason PKers don't like PvP worlds is because they can't kill innocent bystanders, only other grievers like themselves. That's really what PKing comes down to: making others lose their hard-earned items. If people really wanted to enjoy a combat game they would go player a First Person Shooter, but in most FPS one won't lose anything but perhaps a few points if one dies. This probably accounts for PKer's inherently horrible attitudes - that they must make others suffer to feel good about themselves.

umadbro

dropped

gg

gf

lol lost void

lmfao bye chaotix

ha ha idiot

Merchanting, in the old system, was a lesser form of scamming. One would buy an item from an honest (or original) source for lower than its true value and then turn around and sell it to another person for higher than its true value. That's not providing any sort of service or constructivity - that's just ripping people off for personal gain.

PKers are more likely to have multiple accounts than people who are content with their single mains. The only reason that's not obvious to many people in this thread is that said people are blind to opposition.

It is unfair but there's little sense trying to talk sense on this subject, and even if I got anyone to agree, it's already been done.

Not to bring religion into this (too strongly at any rate), but it looks like a lot of people here who are outspokenly atheist are pointing to the "overwhelming majority" and declaring that because the majority wants this change, it will be good or that it should happen. It just so happens that a majority of the people in the WORLD belong to some sort of religion, so this point is a bit contradictory. To be honest I think you guys (the ones this section is referring to) will blow any which way at any given time to get or support what you want. Real lack of backbone. This really goes for trusting JaGEx or the KB or anything official too. When what JaGEx says is good for you, they're a shining pillar of truth. When what they say goes against what you want, they become some sort of backstabbing corporate monstrosity.

I really don't see why some are so excited. Divine is basically buyable in the GE. What other reason did you have need to go through junk trading routes? - Since, as above, you clearly change your tone when it suits you.

Back in "the good old days", many of us on this forum still had a lot to do in the game - the game still consisted of many new experiences and fun to be had. Now that a lot of us are maxed combat, have completed all the quests, played all the minigames, explored all of the map, conquered the strongest bosses, the game doesn't seem so bright anymore. Bring back free trade and the Wilderness is not going to bring back those days - those were one-time golden experiences.

I like the idea of free trade AND the Grand Exchange, but bringing back the Wilderness in "all of its former glory" is going to poison an already, according to some, failing community, and won't make many hopefuls truly happy.

2dgucz6.png

From experience playing this game for 10 years, I can say that what Gavati said is not an opinion. It is fact.

Or perhaps you share the same interpretation. If it were fact, would the community be so split about this? For sure many people have expressed their opinion in a mature an intelligent fashion, arguing the opposite of what Gavati said. Hardly seems like the poisoned community previously mentioned. As the long-term player that you are, I'm sure you remember that idiots will always be idiots, there will always be some nostalgia kiddos, the seasoned veterans, etc. Saying that the game is better off with or without an aspect of it is all subjective. None of us have the data to back that claim up, only declining google trends that everyone loves to throw around--which could have happened for a myriad of reasons not only exclusive to free trade/wilderness removal.

hzvjpwS.gif

I have played since December 2005.

And I just got mad at how mr. Gavati dáres to talk crap about the old Wilderness.

It was everything. Without it, RS is way too serious.

Who gives [cabbage] about the ecomomy falling. It's a freaking game, let's breath new life into it.

If the economy fails, what is the point in loot-on-death pvp? Let's not fool ourselves.

hzvjpwS.gif

I have played since December 2005.

And I just got mad at how mr. Gavati dáres to talk crap about the old Wilderness.

It was everything. Without it, RS is way too serious.

Who gives [cabbage] about the ecomomy falling. It's a freaking game, let's breath new life into it.

If the economy fails, what is the point in loot-on-death pvp? Let's not fool ourselves.

Maybe, but I seriously don't see the game being "worse" pre-2008.

IMO whats the problem with bringing old wilderness/free trade back.

THERE WERE NO PROBLEMS IN 2007. Well, not significantly more/less then now.

Lets put it this way; in 2007 the game was running fine; and maybe more bots, but more happy players then nowadays.

Gavati, take off your hater-hat that you've got on against pkers/clans, and I'm not even going to bother with repeating what has already been said. Although PVP/BH worlds are fine for your solo pker, they are not adequate for smalltime clans, and that's putting a stranglehold on medium and large clans. I could go into the reasons but I'm pretty sure I've already done that on tip.it, if not then check my posts on rsc. Anyway, not going into it. With your post I'm more interested in replying to the economic aspect that you mentioned, in that you claim merchanters had zero role in society other than "scamming". Sorry dude, but unless you're buying your groceries from the farmer himself then you'd better know that your grocery store is scamming you because they're buying the produce at a cheaper price than you're buying it at. Much like that grocery store, merchanters of old bought items and consolidated them into one place for your convenience. They would: "Buying all bolt racks 500 ea" and buy from all the people who had only a handful of them. Then, they'd sell you the 1k dbones that you needed at a slgihtly higher price to cover their costs, and a little more so that they could turn a profit.

Being able to buy stacks of 1k items each from a merchant was much faster and convenient than standing there all day like the merchant did, buying small stacks until you got what you needed. It's not ripping people off in the slightest, it's the same as opening any other business.

If it were fact, would the community be so split about this?

With over 80% in favor according to the referendum, I would imagine that the community is not as split as one might think.

Proud Gladiator

gladzorgrespected.png

If it were fact, would the community be so split about this?

With over 80% in favor according to the referendum, I would imagine that the community is not as split as one might think.

It's pretty split here, on this community, with 61% in favor and 35-some% against/indifferent. Which is what I was speaking of in my post.

hzvjpwS.gif

Someone said it. Before 2007 the game was running fine. The system worked well. The biggest problem was an excess of bots. Frankly, all they did was make my yew logs, coal and other supplies cheaper. The current system is overly complicated and still doesn't accomplish its goal. Botters still exist. People complaining about pkers coming back don't understand what the wilderness is all about. DANGER. The wilderness I remember had danger no matter where you were. That made all the wildy clues and such that much more difficult. And it will make all the wilderness quests that much more difficult too. There will be [wagon] in the wilderness no matter what, whether it's in the old system or just in the current PvP worlds. You will get used to it.

Guitar_by_Lemeja123.jpg

Someone said it. Before 2007 the game was running fine. The system worked well. The biggest problem was an excess of bots. Frankly, all they did was make my yew logs, coal and other supplies cheaper. The current system is overly complicated and still doesn't accomplish its goal. Botters still exist. People complaining about pkers coming back don't understand what the wilderness is all about. DANGER. The wilderness I remember had danger no matter where you were. That made all the wildy clues and such that much more difficult. And it will make all the wilderness quests that much more difficult too. There will be [wagon] in the wilderness no matter what, whether it's in the old system or just in the current PvP worlds. You will get used to it.

Perfectly said.

Most important thing here, will I still be able to sell my cabbages on the GE?

And indeed the problem with the bots was that they were making all basic supplies cheaper and create huge amounts of money at the same time.

Me and the wise old man go way back.... he was a foolish boy back then.

My crystal armour idea.

Most important thing here, will I still be able to sell my cabbages on the GE?

And indeed the problem with the bots was that they were making all basic supplies cheaper and create huge amounts of money at the same time.

And also; there are more bots Nowadays than back then. Maybe more yew botters back in the days, but go to red chins or sw and youll see :o

Quite a lot of the people posting keep saying that they don't want to die when they are wandering around the wilderness doing something. It seems people don't remember one really important aspect of the old wilderness. Most of the wilderness was empty all of the time. World 6 was Varrock wild multi pking, with small teams in lower wild, and larger teams out farther. World 18 was edge pking, single combat. If you were stupid enough to try to do something in the wilderness on either of those worlds then you probably would die, and that was entirely your fault.

You go to some other world besides 6 and 18, and the wilderness was much emptier. There would always be someone in edgeville, or varrock wild, but nothing requires you to walk up to them and tell them "oh hey, im walking out to the wilderness and if i die whoever kills me will get a whip, some karils, and a dds." It is quite easy to walk along the edge of the wild out of sight before going in. Also, old wild, if you were in combat with something in single, pkers cant interrupt, and if you are in single and the person after you gets attacked, you have like a 30 second break where they can't attack you.

Besides, nothing is stopping you from becoming a 3 itemer. Killing someone with dhide top and chaps, and a dds is simply not worth it. They don't lose anything, and you take damage.

Yes, sometimes you got ambushed, but that was a rare occurrence. After a week, the number of people pking will die down. There are not enough people to fill the wild on every world and keep you from doing some clue or whatever you are trying to do after they move most of the reasons for going to the wilderness out of the wild.

Really, the only thing that will change is you will get an adrenaline rush seeing a white dot, and you will have to call "Peace" and see if they agree. Nothing really that complicated or hard to do.

pere_grin.png

Quite a lot of the people posting keep saying that they don't want to die when they are wandering around the wilderness doing something. It seems people don't remember one really important aspect of the old wilderness. Most of the wilderness was empty all of the time. World 6 was Varrock wild multi pking, with small teams in lower wild, and larger teams out farther. World 18 was edge pking, single combat. If you were stupid enough to try to do something in the wilderness on either of those worlds then you probably would die, and that was entirely your fault.

You go to some other world besides 6 and 18, and the wilderness was much emptier. There would always be someone in edgeville, or varrock wild, but nothing requires you to walk up to them and tell them "oh hey, im walking out to the wilderness and if i die whoever kills me will get a whip, some karils, and a dds." It is quite easy to walk along the edge of the wild out of sight before going in. Also, old wild, if you were in combat with something in single, pkers cant interrupt, and if you are in single and the person after you gets attacked, you have like a 30 second break where they can't attack you.

Besides, nothing is stopping you from becoming a 3 itemer. Killing someone with dhide top and chaps, and a dds is simply not worth it. They don't lose anything, and you take damage.

Yes, sometimes you got ambushed, but that was a rare occurrence. After a week, the number of people pking will die down. There are not enough people to fill the wild on every world and keep you from doing some clue or whatever you are trying to do after they move most of the reasons for going to the wilderness out of the wild.

Really, the only thing that will change is you will get an adrenaline rush seeing a white dot, and you will have to call "Peace" and see if they agree. Nothing really that complicated or hard to do.

People so scared of death, if you dont wanna die whilst doing that clue then drop the clue.

If you decide to do it, know that you risk death. NEVER think a world has an empty wildy, expect the worst.

Do what you have to do, do it quick. If you die, too bad.

I do hope they relocate the uri emote clues out of wildy because those require more items.

Ow and ps I have lots of clue gear so that if I lose my chart i have another one! That comes in handy when you have a chest, you can just drop your chart knowing that you have a spare one.

Me and the wise old man go way back.... he was a foolish boy back then.

My crystal armour idea.