Why do you think Jagex made 99s Require so Much EXP?

Freakyhair

The caps are good. While there may not be many skills with level 90 and 99 requirements, it still gives me a goal to reach level 99 for the cape/s. Even after 9 years of playing Runescape I still don't have all 99's (and the 120), but I will get there one day. If I look back now I'm proud of my accomplishments and I have more level 90's which I never thought I would have. I suppose I can thank ancient effigies a lot for that, they did give me a huge chunk of xp.

I can see more massive xp gains like ancient effigies in the future, especially if Jagex come out with more level 120 skills :thumbup:

2vuhgcn.png

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nah im an average person that doesnt want to spend hours upon hours getting 99. To be fair ive already got 5. I'm talking more about how detremental the ammount of tiem required is to people as well. Im not complaining I can't get a 99, it's not hard, it's just a waste of life -.-

PLus I am actually going to quit the game, but im pretty addicted to it. Thats one reason im getting pissed off about the way the game is set up, like I already said I think its incredibly irresponsible to have a game where the max level takes that many hours. Even Chinning it might well take 130 hours to get 99 range. Obviously it's my fault for having an addictive personality, but Jagex dont help by creating a platform set the way RuneScape is for me to get addicted to.

By that logic, playing a game in general - no matter how "long" or "short" it is - is a waste of life. So even if 99s were 7 million xp, you would still be wasting your life to get there. But imo, as long as you're enjoying it, it's not a waste at all.

RuneScape exists to keep people busy, and imo, that's not necessarily a bad thing. I played LOTRO for a few years, but it is so incredibly easy to max out that I lost interest very quickly. I wish I didn't because I wanted to keep playing, but there was simply nothing to do (other than continue to max more characters and that's just boring after a while). And the fact that RuneScape actually takes a while to max out is one reason why I like it. I have been playing off and on for 7 years and although I do get bored from time to time, I keep coming back because I have "unfinished business."

If you think RuneScape is taking over your life, then the ball is in your court to do something about it. Learn how to play in moderation.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Op has been playing for 11years? God the game must be old...if the cap was at 7 mil, then wouldn't the addiction remain the same seeing as most skills don't have much in the way of content between 7m xp in the skill and 13m/maxed xp. Cap is still fine, op has no real arguement. /threadhasnodiscussionvalue...close?

div>

In all honesty I think when the game was created level 99s were meant to be so hard as to be almost impossible to achieve. I don't think they envisaged people getting multiple stats to 99, let alone 99 everything.

That was at least the average player's thinking. In classic or early rs2 most people never thought they would ever achieve any 99 at all. All that changed with skill capes though.

jpegsigtest.jpg

dont call me a nood mate, i been palying at least 6 years longer than you.

I like the part where he thinks playing longer than someone makes him immune from being a noob. I also like the part where he assumes the person started playing right as they joined Tip.it. I started playing in March 2001, yet my join date on this website doesn't reflect that.

OT quit b****ing.

If anyone's wondering: I started playing in feb 2005, joined zybez in 2006, then thought they were a bunch of _____'s and officially joined tip.it in 2009. Oh, and this is partial flamebait..../closethreadplz

div>

Problem now is you can get 400k-1m rates in faster skills like herblore fletching or construction so a 99 is pretty meaningless

Especially since I'm now rich enough to get 104m herb xp i think that skills should all get master capes at 104m xp, regardless of the level cap being raised

Firstly, fletching isn't that fast, it's about 200k. It might be one of the easier skills, but it's tedious. Secondly, you've completely ignored the time it takes to get the money to train the other skills that that rate. Just because physically getting the experience is a fast process doesn't mean that training the skill as a whole is fast. If it was, everyone would be running around in herblore and construction capes. Often it costs in the hundreds of millions of coins to get into the real meat of a skill (see: Prayer).

I think that as it is, the amount of effort required to get a 99 in a skill is alright. It's difficult, and demands long term commitment, but it's not completely unreasonable.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Problem now is you can get 400k-1m rates in faster skills like herblore fletching or construction so a 99 is pretty meaningless

Especially since I'm now rich enough to get 104m herb xp i think that skills should all get master capes at 104m xp, regardless of the level cap being raised

Firstly, fletching isn't that fast, it's about 200k. It might be one of the easier skills, but it's tedious. Secondly, you've completely ignored the time it takes to get the money to train the other skills that that rate. Just because physically getting the experience is a fast process doesn't mean that training the skill as a whole is fast. If it was, everyone would be running around in herblore and construction capes. Often it costs in the hundreds of millions of coins to get into the real meat of a skill (see: Prayer).

I think that as it is, the amount of effort required to get a 99 in a skill is alright. It's difficult, and demands long term commitment, but it's not completely unreasonable.

I love how 999134 has 104m herb exp so he thinks the cap should be raised to that level. Why not just set the master caps at 200m? Because that is indeed when you have mastered the skill - even if you try to continue you won't be learning anything new (i.e you're not getting any more exp)

I agree with will_holmes but sometimes I think that some skills just don't skill properly. I guess it would be unfair to change it now after people already invested billions into some skills but honestly prayer? If you tried to actually level that skill without trying to buy any bones, it's terrible to train. Whereas skills like wc/fletching/fm aren't terribly tasking to level and have a pretty decent xp/level.

I think it's just not all skills are created equal. It'd be impossible to make all skills train at the same rate but the discrepancy between some of them are so large, it makes the easier capes to get laughable.

capt%20kevin.png

It's threads like this that make me wonder if some people actually know what an MMORPG actually is. By their very nature, MMO's are designed and INTENDED to be games where social interaction in a vast sprawling world should take place. Every single MMO out there whether they claim to or not have a form of grinding that is there for the purpose of making the player spend time by working towards a goal. If you want something where you can walk around with a virtual avatar and speak to people

Use IMVU or Habbo (does it even exist anymore?)

If you think Runescape is bad try playing Final Fantasy 11. You could literally spend your life playing that game and still not be in sight of the end game.

Tl;dr - You need to learn what an MMO is.

Sylpheed.png

I honestly believe there is a formula that gives them the exp for each level. It probably looks like a exponential graph and on the X-axis there are the levels 1-99 (and 120 in dung case), then the Y-axis is experience.

Plug in formula based on exponentially increasing experience between levels and BOOM! Exp levels set.

I havent ever typed in the data, but Im fairly positive that is what would happen.

They probably did some research on how other RPGs set lvls and based a formula off of it.

Click

Cool theory.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

Why the game was created with grinding at its core = Simple, easy-to-implement game design by Andrew because of lack of resources.

Why the game is still the most grindy Western MMO = More grind ---> longer subscriptions ----> more money.

It's cute that people defend the grind by saying "Runescape is an MMO." Play some real MMOs that have actual gameplay for end-game.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I honestly believe there is a formula that gives them the exp for each level. It probably looks like a exponential graph and on the X-axis there are the levels 1-99 (and 120 in dung case), then the Y-axis is experience.

Plug in formula based on exponentially increasing experience between levels and BOOM! Exp levels set.

I havent ever typed in the data, but Im fairly positive that is what would happen.

They probably did some research on how other RPGs set lvls and based a formula off of it.

Click

Cool theory.

Thank you. Good link because I would have had a load of trouble expressing such equations on the message board.

Also, at xxshady: Combat is the heart and soul of RS. Check out my theory on this thread. Gonna have to scroll down a bit.

wessan.png

Obvious question gets an obvious answer.

Where you have people performing the same action hundreds of thousands of times over, for days on end, it's obvious the level up system is being used to artificially lengthen the gameplay, thus keeping the need for subscriptions.

I personally think that the game would have benefited a lot from having a max exp of 50m, possibly even 13m!

Yeah man. And let's implement permadeath while we're at it. Runescape isn't dangerous enough.

For example, if you get PK'd or killed by a monster, you respawn with only a percentage of your stats and lose all of your items.

Also if your ancestor forgot to write a will, you get nothing from your bank. So you start over fresh pretty much.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Obvious question gets an obvious answer.

Where you have people performing the same action hundreds of thousands of times over, for days on end, it's obvious the level up system is being used to artificially lengthen the gameplay, thus keeping the need for subscriptions.

This. The entire point of a subscription-based RPG, from a developer's standpoint, is to create a Skinner's Box. They hook you with immediate gratification in the beginning by making it very easy to level. Then as you play more, levels get disproportionately more difficult, but by that point you're conditioned to the point where you don't mind. Therefore, by making it require months/years of playing (obviously varying greatly on how much time you invest) to get max stats, they're benefiting themselves with your continuous subscription fees.

td2sig.jpg

lol @ the person who said fletching maxes at 200k/hour.

If you don't know [cabbage] about this game, don't try to put down people who do.

Also, mmorpgs are not on the same level as console games. They are built to attract different crowds. 100 hours could be compared to 10 on a console simply due to the monthly fees of most mmorpgs.

ZMFg2.jpg

Hundreds of thousands of poeple have 99s, many have multiple. For some numbers: http://runescape.wik.../wiki/99_skills

Of course they want to make such a massive time requirement.... Then people play longer, pay longer, and jagex gets more money...

No [cabbage] mate, i know how many people have 99s. At what point did I amke out I didn't.

Yeah but they don't make there money on how many hours they play a month, unless f2p, they make it just on people playing it enough to wanna buy membership. For me that's like 10 hours min. I dunno I think maybe people wouldn't go for as many 99s if there was a lower exp requirement, possbily using different ways to train? I dunno..

but is it not mad thatthey originally started with that much exp to get 99??

Also i think its irresponsible to make a game where that much time needs to be put in..

Ok, there was no need to be rude. All you sound like is an average noob who wishes he didn't have to work as hard as he does for a 99. Get the hell over it and don't play the game if you find it not fun.

nah im an average person that doesnt want to spend hours upon hours getting 99. To be fair ive already got 5. I'm talking more about how detremental the ammount of tiem required is to people as well. Im not complaining I can't get a 99, it's not hard, it's just a waste of life -.-

PLus I am actually going to quit the game, but im pretty addicted to it. Thats one reason im getting pissed off about the way the game is set up, like I already said I think its incredibly irresponsible to have a game where the max level takes that many hours. Even Chinning it might well take 130 hours to get 99 range. Obviously it's my fault for having an addictive personality, but Jagex dont help by creating a platform set the way RuneScape is for me to get addicted to.

if your going to quit then quit. Its not irresponsible its them getting paid by players to host a game aka their job. You're the irresponsible one because you don't know when to stop playing a game. Chinning also takes far less than 130 hours to get 99 range.... Its all your fault. None is Jagex's.

Absolute bull mate, of course some of it's Jagex's fault. They made the game the way it is, they're the ones realeasing high level content where u need all 99s. Fair most of its my fault but I already said that.

Would you say that the person who invented crack is not at all to blame for anybody addicted now because it wasnt intented to be used like that? Course not its partly his fault for making something like that,

The very nature of RuneScape is to spend hours geting skills, hence there are thousands over really addicted gamers. Its boths fault.

Surely u can appreciate how hard it is to quit, u must no people that play far too much that it starts to badly affect their life?

If not then watever.

I love how your posts seem to be

"Start off with good spelling and grammar...

a [bleep] it im too lazy to spell rite"

By the way, crack has like a biological effect, chances your body and stuff.... RS is more of a mental addiction. A mental addiction is something that isn't actually addictive in and of itself, it's just an activity that people like and get addicted to.

Basically, one has biological effects, one is more psychological. Which isn't to say that it isn't a real problem...but a much better analogy would be gambling.

My good sir. You just compared Runescape to crack. That is when you know its time to put away your keyboard and go outside.

My good sir. You just compared Runescape to crack. That is when you know its time to put away your keyboard and go outside.

Best. Post. Ever.

At least today. Seriously, we should make a thread for noteable posts or epic posts or something. This one wins.

Best. Post. Ever.

At least today. Seriously, we should make a thread for noteable posts or epic posts or something. This one wins.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Lol...I like how the op is willing to defend his arguement even though everyone's against him. It's like this post is the titanic, and while all of us are running to the lifeboats, the captain/op is at the top screaming 'jagex needs to remove icebergs before I quit this lousy job. Ah, f''k it, time for 3 posts full of grammar errors'

div>

I personally think that the game would have benefited a lot from having a max exp of 50m, possibly even 13m!

Yeah man. And let's implement permadeath while we're at it. Runescape isn't dangerous enough.

For example, if you get PK'd or killed by a monster, you respawn with only a percentage of your stats and lose all of your items.

I am for this - especially for PK. It would put some real risk vs. reward into that aspect of the game and thin out the problem children at the same time.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

13m exp is only alot for the fist few 99s. After about 10 99s 13m is nothing. I can get 13m exp in a skill easysauce.

IMHO it should be 40m per 99 because its to easy to max out already.

Well actually i have played over 7000 hours.. i guess i have just been runescaped.

its time for me to run and escape!

Fools_Taco.png

lol @ the person who said fletching maxes at 200k/hour.

If you don't know [cabbage] about this game, don't try to put down people who do.

Also, mmorpgs are not on the same level as console games. They are built to attract different crowds. 100 hours could be compared to 10 on a console simply due to the monthly fees of most mmorpgs.

That's not really the same issue. The vast majority of MMORPG gamers are male, under 24, childless and on low-income. The same is exactly true for your average Xbox 360 gamer (though I concede the Wii appeals to a different market).

The issue with a console game is that you pay the £40/$50, you take it home, and the beyond a monthly charge for XBL or a charge for DLC, you no longer have to pay anything in order to continue playing the game. Therefore, the company responsible for designing the game has no need to put a Skinner's Box mechanism into the game, as dragon described before, because there's no need for the consumer to be conditioned into playing the game for hour after hour; they've already paid all that they're going to pay. Once they've done that, the games company doesn't care if they play for a hundred hours or thirty minutes, they get the same amount either way.

The difference between MMORPGs and console based games is the lack of subscriptions. You pay the lump sum, you get the game. RuneScape can't depend on that model.