Should Jagex start taking legal action against bots/rwters/hackers

iamsomebody1

Those big sweat shops of bums over seas

They are people.

So? :rolleyes: Not like they're contributing their lives to society. Why the [bleep] should we care?

Considering they've been reduced to working in a sweatshop, they're probably just trying to stay alive. I don't see how you can refuse to acknowledge them as people just because of that.

Reduced is the problem. Going to school, getting decent grades, listening to parents, helping others,

volunteering to work part time or any of that would of at least put that person in a better position than

working at a lousy sweatshop. I wouldn't acknowledge them as the same as the people who is working hard

and making good money because that wouldn't be fair. I find that any people, who gives in a little effort

can succeed and ATLEAST make a decent living.

Also, sorry about my last post if it sounded a little harsh. I was not in the brightest mood that time.

Wow it seems like half the threads in GD aren't even about RuneScape content anymore...blink.gif

OT: No, they shouldn't.

Welcome to TIF.

WTF bru!!!

You fink that people in Burma that have to pay to go to school, have common droughts and pretty much no money can do that??? WTF!!! Working in sweatshops is [bleep]ing twenty times harder than you'll ever work in your life American. Sweatshops are jobs for them, its a different [bleep]ing world out ther bruv. Who TF are u to say they should 'work harder'!!!! You don't think working 19 hours a day for less than a dollar is working hard??? WTF do u think it is eh?!?! If you don't agree with people working in sweatshops then why don't u chuck out half of your products aswell??? I no girls that have worked 16hr days for 2 years with no breaks for less than I make in 2months. Thats not being lazy or not putting effort in, thats circumstances.

Id say someone that spends a lot fo their time on a computer is far more a waste to society than someone working in a swetshop. Dude.

If its as easy as putting in a 'little' effort to get good jobs then are economy wouldn't work. Dumb ass fduck man, how can u say that??! blah.

Ig no rant fook.

On topic yeah your never going to stop botters, RS is just to boring. People play for fun. IE PKing and .. ermm.. not much else. Only way Fhagex can solve it is making training skills fun/lower the required time to put in to get a decent PKer and decent gear. Otherwise nah. And yeah Fhagex selling gold probably wouldn't even stop RWT because they'd just sell it for less than fahgex.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jagex selling gold would stop the real world traders, but it wouldn't stop the bots at all. The majority of botters do bot for personal gain, and why buy gold when you can just bot it...

Unless Jagex gave away gold, there would always be RWT'ers undercutting Jagex's price. I've seen this happening between sites since free trade. 1M started at ~$2, then after the whole hacking ordeal 1 site lowered it to ~$1, and now, well over half of the RWT spammers I see advertise 1M at ~$0.50 - $0.75. So it's safe to say these RWT sites are highly compedative and have no problem with lowering their prices to compete.

I would love to see Jagex take down some RWT'ers, but to be honest, your $5 a month isn't exactly paying world class programmers, so it's safe to assume Jagex's legal team isn't exactly the greatest as well.

They are people.

So? :rolleyes: Not like they're contributing their lives to society. Why the [bleep] should we care?

Considering they've been reduced to working in a sweatshop, they're probably just trying to stay alive. I don't see how you can refuse to acknowledge them as people just because of that.

Reduced is the problem. Going to school, getting decent grades, listening to parents, helping others,

volunteering to work part time or any of that would of at least put that person in a better position than

working at a lousy sweatshop. I wouldn't acknowledge them as the same as the people who is working hard

and making good money because that wouldn't be fair. I find that any people, who gives in a little effort

While we're there, we could stop famine and poverty in Africa once and for all.

I thought we were discussing about China? What happened? :blink:

As many have said, they have no grounds to sue them. Going against Jagex's ToS isn't illegal. And TBH, the bot developer could technically say, "I don't play RuneScape... I didn't accept any ToS."

Writing bots and hacks for online games is no way illegal. Sure they may be able to find some copyright suits, like they did with PowerBot, but that is is.

09144a99bb.png

[hide]

They are people.

While we're there, we could stop famine and poverty in Africa once and for all.

[/hide]

I thought we were discussing about China? What happened? :blink:

Bro you know in china you have to pay to go to school right?

You know that not everyone in the world has money?

What you said about people that worked in sweatshops was disgusting.

On topic:

They definately should not start sueing, most people who hack/phish/bot arn't very old, that's just harsh.

Does everyone forget that this is a game? You can't make a 17 yr old who plays a game get into serious trouble in real life because he stole pixels!

Okay well I see we have alot of people defending the botters (how surprising) okay well I just thought they could add something to there TOS that says if you are caught macroing/rwting you could be charged on how much damage you caused to the game. Then both Jagex and real players are happy while the cheating scum finally get what they deserve.

372nd to max total level

Okay well I see we have alot of people defending the botters (how surprising) okay well I just thought they could add something to there TOS that says if you are caught macroing/rwting you could be charged on how much damage you caused to the game. Then both Jagex and real players are happy while the cheating scum finally get what they deserve.

L0l!

it's a game. You can't charge young teens real life money for getting a computer to play a game for them.

Also bots do bring something to the game, you must not realise the scale of botting. How much do you think sharks would be if they wern't botted? Or herbs? Or infinity robes?

Those things take hours in game but cost relatively little because thousands of people bot them.

Jagex realises that there needs to be bots, that's probably why they reduced their punishments.

L0l!

it's a game. You can't charge young teens real life money for getting a computer to play a game for them.

Also bots do bring something to the game, you must not realise the scale of botting. How much do you think sharks would be if they wern't botted? Or herbs? Or infinity robes?

Those things take hours in game but cost relatively little because thousands of people bot them.

Jagex realises that there needs to be bots, that's probably why they reduced their punishments.

But then you get the skillers saying, "It's losing me moneys because I fish, woodcut, etc!"

...When really, there's nothing stopping them from coming to Nex, Bandos, or staking like the rest of us.

09144a99bb.png

L0l!

But then you get the skillers saying, "It's losing me moneys because I fish, woodcut, etc!"

...When really, there's nothing stopping them from coming to Nex, Bandos, or staking like the rest of us.

Or the price of raw materials could skyrocket and skilling could actually make money like it was designed to? And 99's would retain some value?

L0l!

Or the price of raw materials could skyrocket and skilling could actually make money like it was designed to? And 99's would retain some value?

collecting raw materials would never be good money even if bots were removed

and who are you to say what is something was designed to be?

it doesn't matter what someone would be designed to do, the only thing that matters is what it actually is

Uhm there is: there is this magical barrier "time"..

Nowadays runescape has turned into an amazing example of a game which caters towards the addicted player who is able to play 5+ hours a day at a regular pace. - People who only play like 2-3 days a week and then for 2-3 hours simply can't keep up with that.. They get "behind", their fun is getting stolen by bots, they'll get scoffed when trying to go somewhere else. And if they decide to grind their way by the time they achieved the necessary levels & equipment those things are already considered bad and obsolete!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

[hide]

L0l!

[/hide]

Face it skillings dumb and boring, if you really have fun because you feel a sense of accomplishment then it shouldn't matter whether you make money or not.

Skilling might make money but like I said what about the majority of players who hate skilling and only combat? Sharks could well be like 4k each, the price of GP would be down because noone bots yews and they lose their alch value. Noone bots anything so everything is really expensive. Probably the majority of what you buy is botted.

This shouldn't be a game revolving around clicking/putting in loads of time, the edge it has on other MMOs is the PVP and market.

Merchanting is still a way better way of making money than botting. And more interesting, do that if you want money.

Yeah, [bleep] those damn sweathop workers, I mean they only work 10 hour days for less than 1/10th the minimum wage in the US just so they can afford enough nutrition to work the next day.

working at a lousy sweatshop.

Because I'm sure those working in sweatshops have access to the credit necessary for loans to go to school, and a family rich enough to help them through by paying for room and board or other various expenses. It's not like 3rd world countries have little to no public safety nets and few choices besides working in sweatshops to help them avoid STARVING IN THE STREET. You make it sound like they're just like some college student in America who chooses to just work at McDonald's rather than helping their community; the countries where most sweatshops are located and the countries you're obviously familiar with are vastly different.

I wouldn't acknowledge them as the same as the people who is working hard

People in sweatshops put more effort into their jobs than any CEO (Physical at the very least) of a given company, granted their limited skills means their effort doesn't have as much impact on the world around them, but don't blame the victim for trying to live in a severely unfair economy. Iran, Vietnam, Tanzania, and El Salvador aren't exactly lands of opportunity where everyone has the opening to be a constructive member of their community, there are more barriers there to people's success than just their work ethic.

Also, sorry about my last post if it sounded a little harsh. I was not in the brightest mood that time.

I know this has been replied to death, but you really need some damn perspective.

OT: It would be very unprofitable for JaGeX to ban every botter, since that'd be a large part of the client base. They should be pursuing the botting companies/websites, but as has been discussed that's risky and they spring up very quickly.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

L0l!

collecting raw materials would never be good money even if bots were removed

and who are you to say what is something was designed to be?

it doesn't matter what someone would be designed to do, the only thing that matters is what it actually is

If everyone had the same mentality as everyone who says skilling sucks that i can guarentee you skilling would be extremely profitable, otherwise no one would do it, and no supply would be in the game. If botters were removed the supply would fall so drastically that the price would be forced to rise to the point to where there is an incentive to skilling. Economics 101.

And reverse logic proves skilling was meant to be a way to earn money - botting caused skilling to be a useless waste of time, and botting was never meant to be. Thus skilling was never meant to be a useless waste of time, and there is suppose to be a reason for people wc or fish other than total levels.

[hide]

L0l!

[/hide]

Face it skillings dumb and boring, if you really have fun because you feel a sense of accomplishment then it shouldn't matter whether you make money or not.

Skilling might make money but like I said what about the majority of players who hate skilling and only combat? Sharks could well be like 4k each, the price of GP would be down because noone bots yews and they lose their alch value. Noone bots anything so everything is really expensive. Probably the majority of what you buy is botted.

This shouldn't be a game revolving around clicking/putting in loads of time, the edge it has on other MMOs is the PVP and market.

Merchanting is still a way better way of making money than botting. And more interesting, do that if you want money.

If every raw material rose to ridiculously high prices, I would start skilling for money lol. And why would that be a bad thing? I don't see how clicking a frost dragon over and over while drinking the occasional potion is suppose to be much more fun than clicking a tree or fishing spot. Flipping isn't very interesting either, there's a reason it's an afk way to make money.

Oh please. Bringing economics into these debates are pointless.

Firstly - What's to stop a skiller from doing other, more profitable activities, but skilling? Choice. It is the player's choice in which to deliberately limit themselves on RuneScape, and it is only the player to blame.

Secondly - Saying that raw materials would skyrocket is illogical. There are more factors than simply supply and demand. If raw materials suddenly become, say, 3 times more profitable as a result of lowered supply, then people would start joining the bandwagon of gathering these raw materials and the price goes down again.

Thirdly - Were skilling ever 'ought to be' profitable?

For I propose a solution: Rework the entire skilling system, so that skilling is worth doing, instead of leaving a computer on to do so.

Hmm, my post does seem offtopic.

On Topic: For what ground can JaGex successfully sue botting companies, other than 'copyright infringement' which can be quite easily avoided in the first place?

Oh please. Bringing economics into these debates are pointless.

Firstly - What's to stop a skiller from doing other, more profitable activities, but skilling? Choice. It is the player's choice in which to deliberately limit themselves on RuneScape, and it is only the player to blame.

Secondly - Saying that raw materials would skyrocket is illogical. There are more factors than simply supply and demand. If raw materials suddenly become, say, 3 times more profitable as a result of lowered supply, then people would start joining the bandwagon of gathering these raw materials and the price goes down again.

Thirdly - Were skilling ever 'ought to be' profitable?

For I propose a solution: Rework the entire skilling system, so that skilling is worth doing, instead of leaving a computer on to do so.

Hmm, my post does seem offtopic.

On Topic: For what ground can JaGex successfully sue botting companies, other than 'copyright infringement' which can be quite easily avoided in the first place?

1. Because he, like me and others, finds combat just as boring as skilling? Why should there only be one way to do things efficiently in the game? Why should so much content in the game be completely degraded to the point where I haven't touched a gathering skill in about a year?

2. Right, there would be a new equilibrium price for raw materials, but the price would be much much higher than it is now even after more people go over to skilling.

3. I can't remember a time where there weren't a massive amount of bots in the game since i started playing 5-6 years ago, so i would never know, but i can only imagine how awesome it would be if i had an incentive to train the 1/3 content of the game that has become pointless.

L0l!

RuneScape is combat based. It always has been. Those that refuse to accept that and [bleep] about not having as much money deserve it.

09144a99bb.png

L0l!

RuneScape is combat based. It always has been. Those that refuse to accept that and [bleep] about not having as much money deserve it.

I definitely didn't get that from your first post.

Also, there are 8 combat skills, and 17 other skills.

in the usa, there are hundreds of political parties. therefore, american politics is not just about republicans and democrats.

You're saying as if it is good so few parties actually matter in the politics?

Wow - I'd say that's a terrible point in the US

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I hate skillers that complain that they aren't making as much money. They can, just as easily as the rest of us, train their combat skills and do some Nex / Bandos / etc.

There may be 17 other skills, but the game is based off those 8.

09144a99bb.png

I hate skillers that complain that they aren't making as much money. They can, just as easily as the rest of us, train their combat skills and do some Nex / Bandos / etc.

You totally did not say that in your first post, and was completely responsive to the idea that many people want to enjoy other aspects of the game and shouldn't have the reward diminished or the skill degraded because of botting. You say that as if killing stuff is the only reason people should play the game. Obviously people could not do something, but i'm saying that it is bad to waste so much content.