Scam E-mails.

Noxx

So quite recently i recieved a Scam E-mail. This is not the first time i've revieced one. I get them almost every week. Diffirent stories, diffirent senders, etc.

Akan's Associates & Chambers.

Solicitors & Advocates,

Accra - Ghana.

Compliment.

Dear Friend,

I crave your indulgence for the unsolicited nature of this letter, but it was borne out of desperation and current development. Please bear with me.My name is Barrister Tony Akan Mensah, a legal practitioner and the personal Attorney to late Mr. Micheal harris who died in Air France plane which disappeared over the Atlantic Ocean with Brazilians and French nationals on board.Airline officials said he died along with his wife Mrs. Anne Harris on the 31 May 2009 Air France plane with other 447 passengers on board (May their soul rest in peace).I know that my client had no living kin but I went ahead and made several inquiries to their embassy to locate any of my clients extended relatives but this has proved unsuccessful.

You can confirm this from the website below which was published by

BBC. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8077858.stm

I only did so to be double sure of this fact. I have contacted you to assist in repatriating the money and property left behind by my client before they get confiscated or declared unserviceable by the bank where these huge deposits were lodged, particularly in the Stanbic Bank Ghana where the deceased had an account valued at about $25 Million Dollars, The bank has issued me a notice that in the event that no next of kin comes up for the claim, the account will be confiscated if not claimed and we have just about few months.

Since I have been unsuccessful in locating the relatives for over now I seek your consent to present you as the next of kin of the deceased so that the proceeds of this account valued at US$25 Million Dollars can be paid into your nominated bank account and then you and me can share the money in the mode. 60% shall be for me and 35% for you and 5% shall be map out for expanse that are being made within the transfer.

I have all necessary legal documents that can be used to back up any claim we may make. All I require is your honest co-operation to enable us see this deal through. I guarantee that this will be executed under a legitimate arrangement that will protect you from any breach of the law.

Please your telephone and fax number urgently needed for further discussion.

I look forward to your urgent response.

Best regards,

Barrister Tony Akan Mensah Esq.

My question is, do people actually fall for these things? I've heard of a lot of people that get them (and i'm almost sure most of you have recieved something like this many times too). After reading through it again today i thought to myself what would the chances be of something like this EVER being legit? Are there People who fall for this? I'm sure some people might be naive enough for it.

I don't know if this really has any discussion value but i would't mind if others posted their similar "scam" E-mails. It might be quite interresting.

The internet is convinced I'm friends with every Nigerian banker, and have a very small penis.

Obviously I never fall for them. Though reading them is occasionally funny. I hit the Irish lottery about4 times now.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

The internet is convinced I'm friends with every Nigerian banker, and have a very small penis.

Obviously I never fall for them. Though reading them is occasionally funny. I hit the Irish lottery about4 times now.

I assume 90% (if not all) of these e-mails are from Nigerians?

I assume 90% (if not all) of these e-mails are from Nigerians?

the bank ones are; where they suddenly discover a lost savings account or whatever. Lord knows where the others come from.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

When I was still in high school, and had a school email, the Internet was convinced I had one.

Anyway, to avoid getting such mails it helps to not have your mail address visible to anyone on any site with a large amount of traffic.

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

When I was still in high school, and had a school email, the Internet was convinced I had one.

Anyway, to avoid getting such mails it helps to not have your mail address visible to anyone on any site with a large amount of traffic.

Funny thing is i started getting these e-mails way before i ever joined any sort of forum or before i actually started using my e-mail. I just got one when i was 16 or so for the heck of having one(even before i had FaceBook). Checked it maybe once in a week and i'd usually have 1 or 2 of these e-mails. So how would they have gotten my e-mail adress if i've never even used it?

According to Wikipedia, a scammer can get 1 or 2 interested replies per thousand emails sent, making about 1000 dollars per scam. There are also multiple recorded cases of people either getting kidnapped for ransom (and in some cases killed if the ransom isn't paid) after going to Nigeria or committing suicide after being scammed. So this is actually more serious than one would think at first :/

It's all from Wikipedia, but every single claim has a citation.

According to Wikipedia, a scammer can get 1 or 2 interested replies per thousand emails sent, making about 1000 dollars per scam. There are also multiple recorded cases of people either getting kidnapped for ransom (and in some cases killed if the ransom isn't paid) after going to Nigeria or committing suicide after being scammed. So this is actually more serious than one would think at first :/

It's all from Wikipedia, but every single claim has a citation.

A guy in a suit can walk up to you and offer you the same thing.

THAT'S not a big problem, now is it?

People have to realize, don't do on the internet what you won't do in real life. Good grammar and a bank logo is the same as a suit and tie with a business card.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Sometimes me n my Dad go down to the ol' Creek and go phishing.

Nah, I feel if you fall for it, you're probably new to the Internet, or naive.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

Unfortunately, people do fall for these things. For the most part, they aren't familiar with the dangers of the internet.

I'd guess we get 20% of our support emails forwarding them to tech support asking if they are real

1-3 calls a week. easily.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Pfft, you guys and your questioning. Well, you're the suckers in the end. I'm getting the Nigerian treasury placed in my bank account, and all I need to do is give them the info to access it. When I'm rich, I'll be the one laughing.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Same for me. Might be right though, if I have a penis at all it must be very small.

I saw a drug addict on Interventions once who had lost a lot of his family's money to such scams, but he was an addict and clearly had some mental issues.

I just clear them off after reading the titles. My favorite ones are the male enhancement ones with spammy 1337-speak subjects - "you 2 can have a d1ck like a p0rn star" and such.

/FG/First thread post to when I joined the family.

VR48f.jpg

[hide=Insert rant here]blahblahblahLIFE[/hide]

img

Yeah, what's really sad about this type of scamming is that there is a whole youth cultural movement in Nigeria glorifying the systematic exploitation of the elderly and gullible.

I will put my boots on.

I will pass on down the corridor.

Yeah, what's really sad about this type of scamming is that there is a whole youth cultural movement in Nigeria glorifying the systematic exploitation of the elderly and gullible.

What's worse is that they use the names of people that perished in a plane crash, and (in general) that people are stupid enough to fall for that sort of scam.

The overall bad grammar, or at least the inconsistencies in the mail should do the thinking for them, even if they're barely literate. xD

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

There is? How do you know that, out of interest?

rosssigfinal.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

"you 2 can have a d1ck like a p0rn star"

From what my gf says, I already do. I think she may be exaggerating somewhat, but hell, as long as she thinks so, I won't try to convince her otherwise.

Anyway! Every once in a while, when the news is slow, I'll see something about a person falling for these scams and losing tons of money. I just laugh to myself at their noobishness and keep deleting the emails as they filter into my Spam folder where they belong. Some of them can be damn funny, though, what with the horrendous spelling/grammar and outrageous claims.

I can't help but think, though, that modern purporters of these scams wouldn't hurt themselves by updating their rhetoric to include some of the mid-eastern countries that are or have recently experienced civil unrest like Libya or Egypt. It would sound a lot more convincing if their banks and rulers were trying to use these tricks to keep their money as they fled the unrest than some oddball bank in Nigeria.

cube347.jpg

Part of the Star Traks network. (^^Clicky!)

Irony: An amnesiac rediscovering they have an eidetic memory.

Same for me. Might be right though, if I have a penis at all it must be very small.

I saw a drug addict on Interventions once who had lost a lot of his family's money to such scams, but he was an addict and clearly had some mental issues.

I just clear them off after reading the titles. My favorite ones are the male enhancement ones with spammy 1337-speak subjects - "you 2 can have a d1ck like a p0rn star" and such.

The 1337-speak gets them past your email providers scan for spam like this. ;) I used to get all sorts of spam emails that actually ended up in my inbox. I just ignored them, and I can't remember the last time I've seen one now.. My email provider blocks mail that is obviously spam, and every week or so sends me a summary of what was blocked. Recently, it's started blocking legit things, so I actually have to pay attention to these emails now. -.-

Blakdragon39.png