Tip.It Times - 10th April 2011

Racheya

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to Racheya by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

Enjoy the articles!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the main reason I dislike these kinds of tip.it times. Not to start flaming or anything, but Racheya is the biggest JaGeX lover to ever exist on tif so of course the article will be biased towards her own personal preferances. You pretty much just wrote that you 'understand' the other side of the argument towards livid farm, but really said nothing else other than going on to say how good of an update this is.

There's a list of arguments as why livid farm is another bad update; you didn't mention that the majority of the spells are useless, for one. And for another; that this is the biggest bottable content to ever be released into RuneScape - it follows an exact pattern. :mellow:

Er, Rach, how many of those spells have you unlocked? I've gotten teleport to south falador and I'm really, really sick of that minigame. The money I can deal with, but it feels like one of the most tedious things I've done on RS.... IMO it should take less time or be less repetitive. Sure, maybe the first hour is fun, but I feel like I've started to burn out there just after the one (useless) spell.

I wasn't sure what the second article is talking about. Either way, I've never really been involved in corporations so the article means little to me. No offense to the author, it looks like a lot of time and thought was put into it.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Er, Rach, how many of those spells have you unlocked? I've gotten teleport to south falador and I'm really, really sick of that minigame. The money I can deal with, but it feels like one of the most tedious things I've done on RS.... IMO it should take less time or be less repetitive. Sure, maybe the first hour is fun, but I feel like I've started to burn out there just after the one (useless) spell.

I wasn't sure what the second article is talking about. Either way, I've never really been involved in corporations so the article means little to me. No offense to the author, it looks like a lot of time and thought was put into it.

You summed up my thoughts quite nicely.

Big_Stingman.png

So far 'm just short of 500k produce points, and I kind of like the update. I'd rather read one of these types of articles than the few in a row whining about the free trade update/vote.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

The article also could have addressed the opportunity cost of obtaining the spells. 43 hours at a decent gp/hour rate (say 3mil / hr) is almost enough time to afford Soul Split from level 1 prayer. A few very niche spells, or a very useful prayer? I know where most players would put their priority.

You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

riptide_mage.png

riptide_mage.png

In response to Leaving Us Livid?:

I totally agree, the Livid Farm is a great piece of content, and I'd hate to see it abandoned. JaGeX did the same thing with Shattered Heart(though that's more of a D&D), but the Dhamorak statue, like Vengeance Group, shows a lot of dedication to not just the Activity, but the game as a whole. Though I do have to say, "resorting to making your own" is a bit of an overstatement. :D

I'm a bit discontent that I have to spend over 40 hours in that farm, but I have to agree with you, it has to take a really long time in order to get those last combat spells.

Balance is needed indeed, and I might as well get some XP while I go for the spells I guess, what I don't like it's that epically repetitive.

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to Racheya by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

zJtMc.gif

In all seriousness, I'm going to take a good long stay at Livid Farm. Once I buy a few ten-thousands of runes. It'd be more interesting if there was more to do, I'd like to see Jagex expand it.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I found the lunar farm amusing...for about an hour. Now I'm wondering what possessed me to do this. I have to earn a spell that allows me to repair my pouches...Why not just use the npc contact spell that's on the same spellbook? Most of these spells I'm never going to use. <_<

So I have another 41 hrs to go at this? :blink:

lord_uathen.png

What I don't get about the Livid Farm is that it takes a very long time to unlock all the spells but then on top of that you can continue to play to earn points that you can spend on spells. Now if the time to earn the spells was reduced by half or so, and if the spells were fairly useful, I could see the Livid Farm being used for a long while. But, with the time it takes to earn all the spells I would assume a lot of people would burn out and treat the Livid Farm as another Mobilising Armies instead of as a continually useful activity such as stealing creation.

In response to the Livid Farm article:

I agree with the article in most aspects, such as the need that players should have to "work for it" to get the best spells/items/things available to them. The only issue I really have is the implementation of how we work. Some MMO's treat the "work-for-it" aspect in a limit, rather than constant content. For example, in a certain MMO I play, you get points for killing a world boss and can only get x points per day. Killing the boss only takes about 5-10 minutes with everyone on the server chipping in. It takes about 30 days of saved up points from killing the boss to get some useful items.

The big difference (and downfall in my opinion) between Runescape and other MMO's is that RS applies almost all concepts to a grind point of view. If you could do the livid farm for say 1 hour a day maximum for 10 days, it still applies the fact you have to sink in alot of time for it, however it would remove the "undesired muck" associated with requiring large hours of constant content that has to be grinded. It would be even better if Jagex applied a "Iban Staff" type concept to the livid farm where you had to "recharge" your spells after so many charges, while unlocking them required little to no charges at all. Requiring players to come back and play to recharge their spells every 200 casts or so would keep people playing it. If you don't do that, in 4-5 weeks pass, and once everyone has grinded their way to 40 hours... nobody is there aside from the occasional 1 or 2 players still grinding.

It's just my opinion, but I think Jagex need to change their focus from making minigames a long-term grind for rewards, to minigames that give rewards quickly, and then give other reasons to make players return. Stealing Creation is so populated because you only have to play 1 game for a good reward. Imagine if you have to play stealing creation for 40 hours to get a tool that lasted 20x as long as the current tools do now. Imagine if Soul Wars required 30 points to trade in for XP. Players would play, but it adds an un-needed grind aspect that could easily be avoided.

In response to the Livid Farm article:

I agree with the article in most aspects, such as the need that players should have to "work for it" to get the best spells/items/things available to them. The only issue I really have is the implementation of how we work. Some MMO's treat the "work-for-it" aspect in a limit, rather than constant content. For example, in a certain MMO I play, you get points for killing a world boss and can only get x points per day. Killing the boss only takes about 5-10 minutes with everyone on the server chipping in. It takes about 30 days of saved up points from killing the boss to get some useful items.

The big difference (and downfall in my opinion) between Runescape and other MMO's is that RS applies almost all concepts to a grind point of view. If you could do the livid farm for say 1 hour a day maximum for 10 days, it still applies the fact you have to sink in alot of time for it, however it would remove the "undesired muck" associated with requiring large hours of constant content that has to be grinded. It would be even better if Jagex applied a "Iban Staff" type concept to the livid farm where you had to "recharge" your spells after so many charges, while unlocking them required little to no charges at all. Requiring players to come back and play to recharge their spells every 200 casts or so would keep people playing it. If you don't do that, in 4-5 weeks pass, and once everyone has grinded their way to 40 hours... nobody is there aside from the occasional 1 or 2 players still grinding.

It's just my opinion, but I think Jagex need to change their focus from making minigames a long-term grind for rewards, to minigames that give rewards quickly, and then give other reasons to make players return. Stealing Creation is so populated because you only have to play 1 game for a good reward. Imagine if you have to play stealing creation for 40 hours to get a tool that lasted 20x as long as the current tools do now. Imagine if Soul Wars required 30 points to trade in for XP. Players would play, but it adds an un-needed grind aspect that could easily be avoided.

Dude. I like this. If they want people to stay there, recharging the spells in a sense forces you to play indefinitely, but I'd already have them now. Part of it is the time, part of it well... progression. 40 hours is a lot less bad if every hour you get something that you actually find useful from it. Honestly, an hour to unlock all spells, you can only use them...idk. find out a decent amount of time, after you unlock it 100 times it's free forever.

I would honestly mind that less then the current setup, despite that my random idea would require over twice as much work to permanently unlock them all.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

It’s faster than farming herbs as well

Looks like someone has a bad case of Did Not Do The Research.

Livid Farming is very close in xp/hr to avantoe. Any herb higher than avantoe is faster farming xp than Livid Farming. Notably, torstol is roughly triple the xp/hr.

The problem as I see it with Livid Farm is that developers are forced to have their content to "contribute" a set number of hours of gameplay.

Taken from FAQ:

Why are the points for each reward extremely high?

Mod Tim: From the initial design we were aiming for it to take a set amount of time for unlocking the spells. Many of you have been figuring this time out and from looking on the forums (at the least) its good to see that it matches up well with our time trials and calculations.

The problem is that the Jagex method of producing gameplay is setting the hours required and then just throwing them into a grindfest.

Like Mobilising Armies, the Livid Farm developer simply created the system so that once you finished the 43 hour grind, you'd be done with the farm permanently (unless you want the wishes, which all happen to suck)

However, sadly, they probably couldn't have allowed for the spells to be gained for easily. Given the obvious PVP benefits of Disruption Shield and Vengeance Group, they couldn't simply allow these spells to be unlocked after say 2 hours of gameplay as opposed to the current 43, even with a recharging requirement like Katori and Squab mentioned.

The way I see it, the grind is an unfortunate requirement considering what you're unlocking.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

The main problem with Livid is that it, like Grinding, degradeable armor you fix at POH, etc. is that they use the same mechanics over and over and over and over ad nauseum. They're doesn't seem to be an original idea left over there.

So in conclusion, I agree that the Livid Farm is quite long to complete but if you farm often, PK, or Runecraft, then the rewards, I believe, are well worth it.

Inasmuch as I really do NONE of these, I've found it somewhat difficult to attribute paying 15M towards spells that I will practically never use ...

Some day, yeah, maybe I might find this useful. But not today. Not this year.

With respect to the second article -- I found it hilarious and extremely naive and, well, downright "high school" in quality.

I think someone REALLY needs to learn what a corporation is and what it does. :rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

First article was ok, didn't mention a few things I would've liked to hear though(as in I don't agree with the opinion of the article as most of the spells are useless and I don't particularly care about getting farm xp so I wouldn't put up with the grind it seems to be)

Second article: I guess it could have been good...The problem is that I personally, and I suspect a few others here as well have never been involved with Runescape businesses...which makes your article seem like a lot of brambling. You should have put more notion on who your audience is and shape that article a bit so they can get something out of it too.

Could make it so that you can buy "Lunar farm spells" Tablets with points. Like for example 50 tablets of Vengance group for a decent amount of points. And this way you would need to come and in chefs quote "Hungry for more!".

I think first Article was ok, but i didn¨t find it interesting because it¨s like a summary of Runescape wiki notes. Point being if i wanted to go read what Livid farm is good for, i could just go to Runescape wiki.

You people are some of the worst behaved, ill tolerant users I ever come across on a forum board.

It's typical for many of you to flame the writers of the article without really going into detail about the actual content. Once again, Racheya gets the flame bait for what? Posting another Tip It Times article?

There should be proper Constructive Criticism and debate following the date of the typing. Instead, all you guys can come up with is insulting the users with no proper consensus of 'what the hell is going on' type of discussion.

I too, have lose faith in Jagex over the years, but I have not given up. Seems like you fellows already have. Creativity over at Jagex Studios is misplaced. Maybe lost, though I believe they're not living up to full potential.

The only article I have to put aside is the second one. The author goes into great detail about the 'corporation' being an obsolete institution. However, that does not fully relate to Runescape itself. It is better fit for the Economist or the New York Times, where actual businessmen take note and pass ideas onto others.

Any one of you who so blatantly puts 95 percent of the articles as 'high school' writing, make your own goddamn article. You guys are pathetic.

Once more as I look at your profiles I find that several of you are still of high school age. Anywhere from 13-25 describes the general average of the Tip It community. Which as I must take note, age is irrelevant to immaturity. Do you want to make yourself more mature? Then show it. I've replied to you people again and again. If all you're going to do is discredit writing as a insignificant source, you need to pursue other activities.

This board sickens me.

Problem is I don't think a lot of Tip posters can take Rach as a credibly objective columnist, what with her infatuation with MMG. Also, Tip articles have a tendency to "gloss" over the faults in content. Highlight the positive, downplay the negative.

To put it nicely, Tip.it columns are a bit too... "optimistic."

Problem is I don't think a lot of Tip posters can take Rach as a credibly objective columnist, what with her infatuation with MMG.

Opinion columnists don't need to be and shouldn't pretend to be objective at all.

Problem is I don't think a lot of Tip posters can take Rach as a credibly objective columnist, what with her infatuation with MMG. Also, Tip articles have a tendency to "gloss" over the faults in content. Highlight the positive, downplay the negative.

To put it nicely, Tip.it columns are a bit too... "optimistic."

I disagree with that completely. Keep in mind we're also *trying* not to re-hash what has been said over and over and over again in General Discussion topics--typically where the extremely negative criticisms of Jagex occur.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

People read the Times articles for an author's perspective and interpretation of a topic and they can come to the forums to read the community's general perspective. I don't think it's the writers' responsibility to formulate and articulate what the community collectively believes. Articles are supposed to be opinionated (to an extent) and they are supposed to dredge discussion, not recapitulate what has already been said for the past week in General Discussion

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."