Intellectual Property

Recently, a user WHO SHALL REMAIN UNNAMED was banned from TIF. He had written a guide and decided, post ban, that he would like it removed. He contacted moderators and had people report the thread and post on it asking politely for the guide to be taken down in respect of his intellectual property rights.

It's been several days and the guide is still up. Locked, but the content is there.

How do you feel about this? Is information theft okay? Should TIF take down the thread? Does this influence how you feel about writing guides yourself?

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't dare write a guide for Tip.it knowing that now. Furthermore, it's actually detrimental for Tip.it to ban guidewriters without deleting their guides. He-who-shall-not-be-named's guide could become obsolete with the next update, but he won't be able to make changes . . . because he's banned. They've effectively doomed his guide to misinforming newer users in the future.

Very, very unprofessional. They need to delete guides when asked. It is not their's to take, regardless of the fine print.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

There was a paragraph on this hidden in the recesses of the forum.

It was the guide poster's fault that he did not read every thread in the forum to find the paragraph concerning intellectual property.

Despite the fact that due to some fine print it is legally Tip.Its, I personally think that it is theft.

Honestly, how does it reflect on this site if this sort of thing goes on. Guide writing should be encouraged.

Under the current system I would NEVER write a guide for this forum if, even though it was my personal guide, it could remain here against my wishes.

I would like to see the thread taken down. I think a public apology would also be appropriate given the current situation.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

I wouldn't dare write a guide for Tip.it knowing that now. Furthermore, it's actually detrimental for Tip.it to ban guidewriters without deleting their guides. He-who-shall-not-be-named's guide could become obsolete with the next update, but he won't be able to make changes . . . because he's banned. They've effectively doomed his guide to misinforming newer users in the future.

Very, very unprofessional. They need to delete guides when asked. It is not their's to take, regardless of the fine print.

Doesn't matter, will still be more up to date than the guides on the main site.

Despite this recent thing going on, I'm still gonna write guides.

Why? Because I'm not gonna let this one little thing stop me from continuing to help other fellow players from knowing what to do.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

He deserved it and they will use it if they please

"Information submitted for publication on this website, either via the site or our forums, becomes the property of Rune Tips, and will be used as seen fit. When any contribution is submitted for publication on this website, whether it be text, graphics or illustrations, you consent to the transfer and assignation of copyright of the submission to Rune Tips."

372nd to max total level

Despite this recent thing going on, I'm still gonna write guides.

Why? Because I'm not gonna let this one little thing stop me from continuing to help other fellow players from knowing what to do.

I certainly don't plan on stopping helping users, but I am going to relocate to a place that has a better concept of intellectual property rights and appreciates contributions.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

If a user posts a guide for the community, I have a feeling he gives it to the community. It's the poster's job to keep it updated or let it be outdated.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

He deserved it and they will use it if they please

"Information submitted for publication on this website, either via the site or our forums, becomes the property of Rune Tips, and will be used as seen fit. When any contribution is submitted for publication on this website, whether it be text, graphics or illustrations, you consent to the transfer and assignation of copyright of the submission to Rune Tips."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/17/gamestation-grabs-souls-o_n_541549.html

I certainly don't plan on stopping helping users, but I am going to relocate to a place that has a better concept of intellectual property rights and appreciates contributions.

For me, both of these are definitely happening now.

I don't want tipit to become a hell hole so I'm gonna remain here and help make it better.

Remember the best way to fix something bad is to actually fix it, not continuing to post and complain and stuff.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

I don't want tipit to become a hell hole so I'm gonna remain here and help make it better.

Remember the best way to fix something bad is to actually fix it, not continuing to post and complain and stuff.

I have no vested interest in TIF if half my friends have been banned for bogus reasons. If they were still here I'd agree, but there's no point building a community my friends can't access.

Since this is about the forums, I'm moving it to feedback.

Also, that has always been part of Tip.It's rules and is the same with most forums. It's also on the wesbite: http://www.tip.it/runescape/?page=about.htm - I don't see what the problem is?

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

Since this is about the forums, I'm moving it to feedback.

Also, that has always been part of Tip.It's rules and is the same with most forums. It's also on the wesbite: http://www.tip.it/runescape/?page=about.htm - I don't see what the problem is?

The same problem as having terms and conditions that require you to sign over your immortal soul to the corporation. Just because you can get people to sign it without noticing it doesn't mean it's moral or just.

Sonikku, I appreciate your sentiments, but the fact is, Tip.It administration has as much respect for knowledge and intellect as they claim people like Bladewing, Grimy_Bunyip, and so on have for them.

I was starting to write a guide

I removed it

oh well

Levon.png Bladewing.png

It's great you know what you're talking about rustiod. Everything you've said is 100% accurate a true.

That being said...your a [bleep]ing [bleep] douchebag, and none of your advice will ever (or should ever) be taken seriously because of it.

disregard good advice because the giver is a douche

THAT MAKES YOU A BETTER PERSON

I have no vested interest in TIF if half my friends have been banned for bogus reasons. If they were still here I'd agree, but there's no point building a community my friends can't access.

If all of my friends have been banned and I'm the only one remaining, I'm still gonna remain and strive on, because I know there are plenty of other people who need all that handy information. My friends may be an important part of me browsing tip it forums but, regardless of how I think of them, they are still a minority compared to the masses of players out there.

Of course I value these friends more than other users, but it's not like they're the only ones reading and making guides. Some of these probably don't even need to read them in the first place anyway.

Just my thoughts about this.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

The problem is that we've already gone into private discussion with the admins, and nothing happened. It was kinda chaotic at first, but once everything was settled and our ideas were put on the table, it was basically brushed off. Then a bunch of prominent guide-writers got banned for harmlessly joking with each other. I mean, what else can we do at this point? I just don't feel like Tip.it deserves our contributions.

However, that is not to say that Tip.it POSTERS shouldn't be helped. I'd highly advise everyone to sign up at Grimy's forum at least temporarily if you need any sort of help and advice. Any future guides will be posted there, too.

Also, nice job on moving this thread away from the public, Jimmy Jim. :)

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I heard there was a really good interactive dungoneering guide in H&A in the form of a clan, I wonder if that will be removed too.

Also, there goes the hope for a Tip.It Nex guide that is actually any good.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

I heard there was a really good interactive dungoneering guide in H&A in the form of a clan, I wonder if that will be removed too.

Also, there goes the hope for a Tip.It Nex guide that is actually any good.

Yes, the mods were nice enough to leave a clan topic open in H&A because we knew it would be useful.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Also, nice job on moving this thread away from the public, Jimmy Jim. :)

There's still a mirror thread in GD, and the thread is situated in this forum, so it's approachable from two forums now rather than one. I've actually made it more public.

There's no conspiracy theory's here, sorry to disappoint you.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome