Intellectual Property

I heard there was a really good interactive dungoneering guide in H&A in the form of a clan, I wonder if that will be removed too.

Also, there goes the hope for a Tip.It Nex guide that is actually any good.

Funny story about that. I put many hard hours into putting together a guide for Nex, actually, and have asked several of my team mates to contribute their time and effort to helping me make it as comprehensive and informative as possible. It was meant to help us instruct new team mates, but we always figured that eventually, when the guide has reached a certain level of quality, we'd share it with this community.

But it's becoming quite clear that very few people within this community can appreciate our efforts. So why bother?

Several players are now separating themselves from Tip.It. These are all people who can and have contributed much to the knowledge pool of this community. And the dominant message from staff and community members alike is "don't let the door hit you on your way out."

If this is the kind of appreciation people get for trying to help others, then you can count me out.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly don't plan on stopping helping users, but I am going to relocate to a place that has a better concept of intellectual property rights and appreciates contributions.

For me, both of these are definitely happening now.

I don't want tipit to become a hell hole so I'm gonna remain here and help make it better.

Remember the best way to fix something bad is to actually fix it, not continuing to post and complain and stuff.

The problem is that we've already gone into private discussion with the admins, and nothing happened. It was kinda chaotic at first, but once everything was settled and our ideas were put on the table, it was basically brushed off. Then a bunch of prominent guide-writers got banned for harmlessly joking with each other. I mean, what else can we do at this point? I just don't feel like Tip.it deserves our contributions.

However, that is not to say that Tip.it POSTERS shouldn't be helped. I'd highly advise everyone to sign up at Grimy's forum at least temporarily if you need any sort of help and advice. Any future guides will be posted there, too.

Also, nice job on moving this thread away from the public, Jimmy Jim. :)

Except the ideas haven't been brushed off. We're in the process of finalising the board and to be honest it would probably have been up and running now if it wasn't for all this crap we've had to deal with tonight instead. You could have simply asked if anything was happening, there was no need to go into toy throwing mode.

I heard there was a really good interactive dungoneering guide in H&A in the form of a clan, I wonder if that will be removed too.

Also, there goes the hope for a Tip.It Nex guide that is actually any good.

Yes, the mods were nice enough to leave a clan topic open in H&A because we knew it would be useful.

Removed by the clan leaders. From what I've heard they aren't feeling too positive about the way these forums are dealing with people who contribute their time, knowledge and experience.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

Recently, a user WHO SHALL REMAIN UNNAMED was banned from TIF. He had written a guide and decided, post ban, that he would like it removed. He contacted moderators and had people report the thread and post on it asking politely for the guide to be taken down in respect of his intellectual property rights.

It's been several days and the guide is still up. Locked, but the content is there.

How do you feel about this? Is information theft okay? Should TIF take down the thread? Does this influence how you feel about writing guides yourself?

Not naming him in this post is kind of pointless. I could find out who it was in a few seconds since you mentioned his locked thread is still up.

I think it is fine though.

The fact he got banned means he didn't respect the staff members' wishes, therefore it is perfectly acceptable for them to do the same to him.

It's not theft since the user willingly gave the information to Tip.it.

I'd be against it getting deleted though. Since it seemed like a popular guide, that user not being able to follow the rules shouldn't mean the people who use his guide should suffer because of it.

It would be fine if he wanted it deleted under normal circumstances, but this just seems like his last act of spite to the people who banned him.

I was never really interested in writing guides myself so it hasn't really influenced me.

You people need to grow up.

First of all let me get this clear, the clasule written on the tip.it section doesn't give TIP.IT exclusive ownership & IP over the information you post: it however gives them IP over the COPY of the guide: they can repost it, they can remove it. Having this property is necessary for any forum (or actually any site with user input) as it makes moderating possible (without it a mod can't remove any post unless he can explicitely point it is against a certain rule). And these rules are quite normal, I dare you to find a forum/blog site where there isn't a similar clasule in the end user agreement.

Is this fair? - Yes, YOU choose to post here, you choose to use the software tip.it build, you use the network to distribute your information which tip.it build. Writing a guide is only 1 part on getting information across; getting people to read it can be much more difficult (which I think you'll soon experience). This is the reason publishers are so important. So no, you aren't "god" when you wrote a good guide.

I've done quite a bit of indie-game development, and a game takes often a lot more efford to polish & create. However whenever you post on a site (any, like yoyogames, kongregate, freegamenow or whatever) you are giving up your IP for that copy. This is completely normal, no one ever makes a problem.

So if you think this is problematic: good luck in life.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

To those confused about this thread: of COURSE TIF is in the legal clear. The issue is that they're being complete jackasses about using their legal leverage to screw over a user. They were asked politely multiple times to remove the guide and declined. What does that say about TIF? To me it says that they don't respect the people who submit information to them.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

To those confused about this thread: of COURSE TIF is in the legal clear. The issue is that they're being complete jackasses about using their legal leverage to screw over a user. They were asked politely multiple times to remove the guide and declined. What does that say about TIF? To me it says that they don't respect the people who submit information to them.

He was asked politely multiple times to not post in the manner he was posting in and continued to do so. What do this say about him? To me it says he doesn't respect the people who maintain this website for no benefit of their own and then let people use it for free.

I wouldn't dare write a guide for Tip.it knowing that now.

If there is something you should realize, it is that your not that important. There is people who will replace you. So be gone already. And it's not like your guide can't be made by someone else.

He was asked politely multiple times to not post in the manner he was posting in and continued to do so. What do this say about him? To me it says he doesn't respect the people who maintain this website for no benefit of their own and then let people use it for free.

What does that have to do with not removing his content when asked? Make up your mind, were his posts detrimental to TIF or do you find them beneficial? Surely if he was that bad you'd leap at the chance to take down something that horrible troll posted.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

In all honesty, (and I'm website crew, so I don't deal with all this nonsense, I just help maintain the main site, so this is NOT biased...I didn't even know what was going on until I read these topics), all I'm hearing is whining. This is a game fansite...the world is not going to end. If you don't want to write guides here, fine, there are many others who will. I've seen countless trolling by a certain user in question, and you should have seen a ban coming. All I'm saying is remember...this is A GAME FANSITE...

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

What does that have to do with not removing his content when asked? Make up your mind, were his posts detrimental to TIF or do you find them beneficial? Surely if he was that bad you'd leap at the chance to take down something that horrible troll posted.

He didn't respect our requests, why should we be expected to respect his? He had several warnings that his posting style was not acceptable, he did not listen to those warnings and thus ignored our requests.

Wait, so are you openly admitting to claiming ownership of his guide out of SPITE? C'mon, Mike, that's absurd and you know it.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Wait, so are you openly admitting to claiming ownership of his guide out of SPITE? C'mon, Mike, that's absurd and you know it.

Can you honestly say he did not want it removed out of spite?

In Bladwings original request, he actually requested for us to add in somewhere to the topic that it was no longer being maintained, as obviously he couldn't post on it any more. We complied with that willingly, seeing his point. He then ended with something along the lines of "oh you may as well lock/delete it too". It was considered, but as it wasn't a direct request, and the fact that the guide is useful to the users of the forum, it was kept up.

Edit: It was then after people started kicking up a fuss that they posted on behalf of him asking for it to be removed.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

We're not claiming ownership of his guide. We're claiming ownership over the post and its contents on our forums. Regardless, spite has nothing to do with it. I'm just pointing out that it's a bit hypocritical to expect us to respect someone's requests when they failed to do so for ourselves. Should the guide have been removed? Probably. But coming in with "You're not respecting his request" is a weak argument.

We're not claiming ownership of his guide. We're claiming ownership over the post and its contents on our forums. Regardless, spite has nothing to do with it. I'm just pointing out that it's a bit hypocritical to expect us to respect someone's requests when they failed to do so for ourselves. Should the guide have been removed? Probably. But coming in with "You're not respecting his request" is a weak argument.

How about the "it makes you look like you need to steal content" argument?

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

[cabbage].

If a person creates a guide and than generously shares this guide with the forums, they should have some say on the continuation or not of something they wrote. It's not morally correct for TIf to say whatever is posted here is now theres. The people who wrote these guides do a better job than any of the website crew does for the main guides, no offense. You not respecting them just shows how ignorant you are, the community here is falling apart, and the staff just make it worse.

patr1ckotg1.png

[cabbage].

If a person creates a guide and than generously shares this guide with the forums, they should have some say on the continuation or not of something they wrote. It's not morally correct for TIf to say whatever is posted here is now theres. The people who wrote these guides do a better job than any of the website crew does for the main guides, no offense. You not respecting them just shows how ignorant you are, the community here is falling apart, and the staff just make it worse.

Just like to point out that we deal with updates quite often, as well as behind the scenes stuff you don't know about. Also currently there is a slight lack in Monster Hunters in our Crew ranks, so most of those guides are a little behind, which is what most users complain about.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

You just admitted that the guide should have been removed.

And by saying that since he didn't comply with everything you told him, you don't have to show any respect and do what is right, you aren't being any better. Two wrongs don't make a right...

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]

You just admitted that the guide should have been removed.

And by saying that since he didn't comply with everything you told him, you don't have to show any respect and do what is right, you aren't being any better. Two wrongs don't make a right...

This

@Darkdude: It seems you're letting your personal feelings affect your judgements. You've shown it when you locked that thread, and you're showing it now. Posters can be [wagon] but I expect mods and admins to be professional when they're making their decisions.

Castle of Zoltar

Be honest about it you're not removing his guide because you have a personal grudge against him. If anyone else asked you to remove their guide you would do it (and you have recently, actually).

[cabbage].

Just like to point out that we deal with updates quite often, as well as behind the scenes stuff you don't know about. Also currently there is a slight lack in Monster Hunters in our Crew ranks, so most of those guides are a little behind, which is what most users complain about.

Like I said no offense, I know it's a lot of information, and I base this from a Monster Hunting standpoint anyway.

patr1ckotg1.png

[cabbage].

Like I said no offense, I know it's a lot of information, and I base this from a Monster Hunting standpoint anyway.

No offense taken, I was just clarifying. By all means, if you have improvements, post them in our Website Updates and Corrections, and we'll try to get to it as soon as we can (with our lack of monster hunters).