Bots, bots, bots, and why they make me rage!

tripsis

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What people don't tend to realize is how difficult the bot banning procedure really is. JaGex can't ban people on the basis of suspicion - with millions of active users, with many paying members, inefficiencies in the system is likely to cause mass hysteria amongst the RuneScape community.

That's likely to result in a PR disaster, something that JaGex shouldn't want to happen.

Assuming that it requires a system update in order to change the item ID's - the proposed 'solution' of changing them every few hours would be detrimental to gameplay; things like the Fight Caves, Dungeoneering and bossing will be extremely frustrating to do.

Randoms are proven to be ineffective against bots (judging by the progress reports and swift fixes programmers do), and you have to consider how it'll affect real players. The purpose of bot eradication would be to make RuneScape more enjoyable to the RuneScape community - it would be counter productive if the new randoms confuse legitimate players.

You can't be sure that JaGex doesn't have a sophisticated team of experts trying their hardest to eradicate botters, it may just be that the problem is too big for them to handle effectively.

That's why I've written an article about it - I feel that the real solution has to be tackled at the core of the problem, RuneScape's gameplay itself.

Oh, and regarding JaGex not 'caring' about bots - They should care, because bots are slowly but surely replacing legitimate members. When this bubble bursts, with no demand to satisfy as too many players has quit, RuneScape could collapse as there would be too few memberships to sustain the company. Is that something that JaGex wants?

Oh, and regarding JaGex not 'caring' about bots - They should care, because bots are slowly but surely replacing legitimate members. When this bubble bursts, with no demand to satisfy as too many players has quit, RuneScape could collapse as there would be too few memberships to sustain the company. Is that something that JaGex wants?

Exactly! I sometimes wonder whether Jagex even wants to solve the problem, since bots on membership servers/worlds are also considered as paying customers. I remember before free trade was re-introduced there were around 1k players per server too.

Back then the botting was a lot less. It seemed like people only botted for experience in the first place and not for RWT'ing. Nowadays there's also around 1k players per world, but we all know a huge part of that amount are non-legit players. So one thing can be concluded: people have quit and botters took their place (actually there was a flood of botters resulting in real players quitting ofc ;) ). I also knew this was a fact since my friendslist is full of oldies never logging in again. People have gotten tired of this problem and decided to leave instead rather than coping with the problem and just avoiding the overbotted spots. I decided to try and ignore the bots and change my moneymaking activities to different spots/techniques. I make less money per hour than I used to, but try getting rich at nechs/abby demons nowadays. Used to be 300-400k per hour. Impossible now, even if you halfkill nechs/abbies you still can't get the amount you used to. Training hunt at red chins is nearly impossible now; certain slayer tasks have to be skipped or you're hopping like a madman to find an empty spot OR you just have to bring a cannon to warped turtoises to make sure the botters don't get the drop/slay XP.

Jagex knows there is a massive botting problem yet I feel they've given up on the in-game botfighting and are now trying it via legal ways to shutdown the botting companies.

Although I'm 100% sure people will keep making bot scripts as long as there is money involved with it.

2016 goals: all skills +30mil xp - Completed this goal 11th December 2016 smile.gif
2017 goals: get at least 3 more master capes (start xp: invention done@21st Jan, mining done@2nd April & ranged 76/104mil done@June 20th) & all skills +40mil xp (done 24th August)

I realize that botting is a legitimate problem and I see bots everywhere, but I don't know if it is just me or what but I don't seem to have a problem avoiding the bots and they rarely cause me a lot of trouble. I find that the bots are often easy to outsmart and small adjustments can be made that make it like there are no bots there. Now I also realize that I don't have super high levels and I don't use places like frost dragons etc., but is it at all possible that maybe the Runescape community can just suck it up a little?. I mean I know botting is a problem and it effects certain aspects of the game, like the economy, a lot at times and it very well might be the destruction of RS, but I don't really find bots bothering. A better word for them would be annoying, but certainly not bothering when it comes to skilling and interrupting my gameplay. Maybe this is just me.

I realize that botting is a legitimate problem and I see bots everywhere, but I don't know if it is just me or what but I don't seem to have a problem avoiding the bots and they rarely cause me a lot of trouble. I find that the bots are often easy to outsmart and small adjustments can be made that make it like there are no bots there. Now I also realize that I don't have super high levels and I don't use places like frost dragons etc., but is it at all possible that maybe the Runescape community can just suck it up a little?. I mean I know botting is a problem and it effects certain aspects of the game, like the economy, a lot at times and it very well might be the destruction of RS, but I don't really find bots bothering. A better word for them would be annoying, but certainly not bothering when it comes to skilling and interrupting my gameplay. Maybe this is just me.

Well bots being annoying is already a good reason to post in the rant section? People pay like 7$ a monthto enjoy the game in every single aspect. I do find pk'ers annoying too, but I don't rant about it since it's perfectly allowed to play the game that way. I don't mind L138bully me by taking over my slayer spot, since they're higher than me and have worked hard to get L138. But bots are just cheap tools that should not be around. It's against the game rules and no matter whether you feel they are bothering or annoying: the game would be better off without them. I wouldn't mind if coal prices or D bones went up suddenly coz all bots were removed. Then I could finally enjoy my dung level by hunting frosts myself. Or I could just enter the LRC without 1.8k bots making me lag like hell...

2016 goals: all skills +30mil xp - Completed this goal 11th December 2016 smile.gif
2017 goals: get at least 3 more master capes (start xp: invention done@21st Jan, mining done@2nd April & ranged 76/104mil done@June 20th) & all skills +40mil xp (done 24th August)

Well bots being annoying is already a good reason to post in the rant section? People pay like 7$ a monthto enjoy the game in every single aspect. I do find pk'ers annoying too, but I don't rant about it since it's perfectly allowed to play the game that way. I don't mind L138bully me by taking over my slayer spot, since they're higher than me and have worked hard to get L138. But bots are just cheap tools that should not be around. It's against the game rules and no matter whether you feel they are bothering or annoying: the game would be better off without them. I wouldn't mind if coal prices or D bones went up suddenly coz all bots were removed. Then I could finally enjoy my dung level by hunting frosts myself. Or I could just enter the LRC without 1.8k bots making me lag like hell...

One: Didn't say there was anything wrong with posting rants about bots, perfectly acceptable and makes sense that they cause rants.

Two: I did say I realized bots were a problem that is destroying RS and I realize that the game would be better off without them, but when people say "I quit RS cuz of bots, they ruin everything" I'm bothered because they don't and the game is playable with bots. Bots = bad is a given, but if you quit RS, saying bots made it to hard for me to do stuff is kinda a dumb reason. I mean suck it up and work around it, you're a battle hardened hero in a mythical land for goodness sake!

I mean suck it up and work around it, you're a battle hardened hero in a mythical land for goodness sake!

:thumbsup: Point taken :) I just stopped leveling certain skills like hunter. <3: effigies for that!

Jagex should release a bot covertly, When people download it, The bot runs for 5 mins, Then drops the bot owners bank :)

Good way around bots when slaying, Go to a non English server, Portuguese are best imo

only thing with this is, as soon as it happens to one bot they put negative feedback and all attempts fail because no one will use it.

and my outlook on bots, if they bot skills for their own use i have nothing against it... and skills that don't impact the economy of rs are fine.

Knoll%20Saleh.png

[hide=Drops]Dragon; Dagger:2 Med Helm:1

Barrows;

GWD; Tassey:1 Shard:2 Bandos Hilt:1 Bandos Boots:1

Corp; Arcane Sigil:1[/hide]

• 3 weeks later...

Most people hate bots only when they interfere with gameplay. Everyone expects the price of coal to be low, but doesn't think of the thousands of bots mining it in f2p worlds. What I've found is that it stunts the newer generation of rs players who have never had to grind experience, but never really had an easy time doing it, because of the competition with bots. This means that they either 1) give up on rs, or 2) become p2p.

That being said, I think there should be more randoms to discourage (and kill) bots. Perhaps Jagex could implement an anti-bot system where, if caught, they decrease your xp in that skill, or gp, by half or full.

Cry4mercy.png

That being said, I think there should be more randoms to discourage (and kill) bots. Perhaps Jagex could implement an anti-bot system where, if caught, they decrease your xp in that skill, or gp, by half or full.

That's exactly what they do and that's why it fails.

Just think of it, someone is botting a skill for money. They get caught and the skill gets decreased. What happens? The bot continues and gets the skill back to whatever level it was and not a single [bleep] was given.

Randoms don't bother bots, they have infinite patience, while we won't and we get annoyed.

Amonitas.png

Quest cape since 11th July 99 Farming 4th February 99 Cooking 31st August

Randoms rarely, if ever, break bots. They are pointless.

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]

Randoms rarely, if ever, break bots. They are pointless.

Bots can do all randoms, and faster than a human can too.

Lol I love Dragon Bots! I wait until they skull and lure them up a few levels. FREE WHIPS! =)

I loved them too. I kept killing the green dragon botters named sheng0e(number). There were a dozen of that with all the same prefix but a different number.

Suddenly I got pked by the owner of them stating I should leave his bots alone... Bye bye d claws lol

(Before people start trolling I suck at pk, YES: I SUCK AT PK. I never pk'ed a person before, I just like screwing with the bots and stealing their gear/bones...)

First of all,

ads;lskgjads;lkg;lsfdkjgl;dsfkjglksdfjgl;ksjdf;glkjsdf;lkgjsd;lkjg;lsdkjg;lsdkfjsgd

Secondly, bots get away for everything. My brother botted 1-90 dung, 1-94 mage, and soo many other skills i cant count. the rs bot system has been rly loose. im mad

Bep.png

First of all,

ads;lskgjads;lkg;lsfdkjgl;dsfkjglksdfjgl;ksjdf;glkjsdf;lkgjsd;lkjg;lsdkjg;lsdkfjsgd

Secondly, bots get away for everything. My brother botted 1-90 dung, 1-94 mage, and soo many other skills i cant count. the rs bot system has been rly loose. im mad

Just letting you know I merged your thread with our general sticky for bot rants :)

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

First of all,

Yeah, since one kid botted some of his skills to not even 99, all bots get away with it. Good logic.

PM me for fitocracy invite

Lol I love Dragon Bots! I wait until they skull and lure them up a few levels. FREE WHIPS! =)

I loved them too. I kept killing the green dragon botters named sheng0e(number). There were a dozen of that with all the same prefix but a different number.

Suddenly I got pked by the owner of them stating I should leave his bots alone... Bye bye d claws lol

(Before people start trolling I suck at pk, YES: I SUCK AT PK. I never pk'ed a person before, I just like screwing with the bots and stealing their gear/bones...)

I am going to complain that the dragon bots are actually too weak to abuse. My friend and I kill them for loots on a nightly basis. Last night we had an idea, we each killed one about to return to the bank so we had a full inventory of hides/bones. Then one person lured them all onto the teleporter while the other waited in level 50 wild. Once they were on the tele, we hopped them around until they all reached level 50 wild. At which point we dropped dragon parts luring them to the chaos elemental, hoping that they would kill it for us and we could get Vesta chain or something. At one point we lured 15 or so bots to the elemental. And by the time they had all died the elemental had only taken 1/5 hp damage. Now we need to think of a new way to abuse the bots....

Trying is just the first step in failure.

Fire_God.png

is there any freaking way of making money other than merching,dicing or staking? or super.ultra high lvl boss hunting? skilling is [cabbage] now,they fing destroyed the game,remove stupid free trade,let us play the real runescape,not this crap

REMOVE FREE TRADE¨!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now I feel better =)

M3DO.png

Mamiću odlazi!

is there any freaking way of making money other than merching,dicing or staking? or super.ultra high lvl boss hunting? skilling is [cabbage] now,they fing destroyed the game,remove stupid free trade,let us play the real runescape,not this crap

REMOVE FREE TRADE¨!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now I feel better =)

Merged your topic with this sticky as all bot rants belong here. ;)

Bring back the sleeping bag! :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.