Goodbye Rants Section

Nomrombom

RSOF Rants section is being baleeted on the 19th.

I say good riddance. What does TIF think?

http://[use Quick Find Code]/c=fLdOEkhtUJ0/[Please Use QuickFind Code]?129,130,thd,413,62888498

It's always been filled with crap and trolls. I'll miss verbally slaughtering people, but the rants section never accomplished anything. I wonder where they'll go next.

PM me for fitocracy invite

Waffles are only good for breakfast, not for running a forum.

Honestly, it doesn't make sense why they'd get rid of it just to have someone bring it back again "as a place to vent". The trolls there didn't bother many other parts of the RSOF, and letting them go now is pretty pointless.

Ah well. :|

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Think of the rants as a garbage can. If you aren't throwing your garbage into the garbage can, where are you gonna throw it? If people want to rant about something and don't have a rants forum, they won't go "oh, well I guess I won't post it now." They'll just find another place to post it.

@ Above poster: if by "letting them go" you mean that they'll go away without a rants section, you're dead-wrong. If by "letting them go" you mean release them into the general RS forums.... well I dun't like that much. Not that I ever GO to the RSOF but still.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Think of the rants as a garbage can. If you aren't throwing your garbage into the garbage can, where are you gonna throw it? If people want to rant about something and don't have a rants forum, they won't go "oh, well I guess I won't post it now." They'll just find another place to post it.

@ Above poster: if by "letting them go" you mean that they'll go away without a rants section, you're dead-wrong. If by "letting them go" you mean release them into the general RS forums.... well I dun't like that much. Not that I ever GO to the RSOF but still.

I meant the latter. I frequent the RSOF and it was pretty decent actually; letting them roam free on the forums without a legitimate place to [bleep] and moan is going to be a bad move.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg

I meant the latter. I frequent the RSOF and it was pretty decent actually; letting them roam free on the forums without a legitimate place to [bleep] and moan is going to be a bad move.

They already do spill over, though. Their forum moderators are extremely overworked and have to deal with a crappy forum system to boot.

hzvjpwS.gif

They already do spill over, though. Their forum moderators are extremely overworked and have to deal with a crappy forum system to boot.

Rest assured when I tell you that I have felt such frustration with those forums and the moderation firsthand. The trolls spill over but it's not so bad when they have their own pied-à-terre to screw around with. With that gone now, I wonder how long it'll all last.

s1L0U.jpg

A good rant should be in the suggestions section. If you can't be constructive when you criticise, your voice doesn't deserve to be heard.

Anything that can't be made constructive is better left in your mind than a forum thread.

GuidesForScapers.png

Legalize baby punching. Tax and regulate it. Punch babies erry day.

I think that instead of removing it they should just not pay any attention to it and let all the trolls troll there instead of on legitimate threads.

Dheginsea.png

I once met a man named Jesus at a Home Depot. Is this the Messiah returned at last?

And i once beat someone named Jesus in a chess game. Does that mean I'm smarter than the messiah?

BOW TO THE NEW MESSIAH

Maybe a president who didn't believe our soldiers were going to heaven, might be a little less willing to get them killed. ~ Bill Maher

Barrows drops: 2 Karil's Coifs (on double drop day)

92,150th person to 99 defense

A good rant should be in the suggestions section. If you can't be constructive when you criticise, your voice doesn't deserve to be heard.

Anything that can't be made constructive is better left in your mind than a forum thread.

You'd be surprised to learn that we as people rant about stuff all the time in our day to day routine.

"I wish that guy up in front of me would do the speed limit instead of driving 20 mph."

"Why has gas prices gone up so much? It's getting unbearable."

"Why do I have to [insert menial work-related task]? It's [incompetent employee who manages to get day off]'s job to do this..."

...and so on.

Having a place to vent is more constructive, even if the venting itself isn't aimed to "fix" the problem. It's more of a simple release of stress and anxiety.

s1L0U.jpg

Having a place to vent is more constructive, even if the venting itself isn't aimed to "fix" the problem. It's more of a simple release of stress and anxiety.

Yet anything that actually rants about a legitimate game issue ends up being better written than half of the crappy suggestions you see in the actual RSOF Suggestion board. In the suggestion boards you see stupid crap like "Oh we should have angel wings and horses lol!" whereas the rants board actually tends to focus on what's wrong with the game we have. The purpose the rants board serves isn't exactly to vent, but to laugh at idiots with ill-formed opinions and actually get some good feedback on the game.

At best the rants board is a broken thing with no defined purpose with some nuggets of gold throughout. And it's a damn shame they're scrapping it instead of harvesting that.

hzvjpwS.gif

It was there originally for a reason. It was brought back for a reason. What's next, reremoval of free trade again? O wait, JaGex will not harm their profits once again. It was rumored it would be removed awhile back when someone apparently heard forum mods talking about it in-game. People will always troll RSOF, the rants section is where they did so. They have since moved to the Items forum, and will move on from there. In my opinion, it's not a smart idea to take the venting ground of MANY, many players that voice their frustration about certain updates or occurences. Venting is a form of relaxing one's self and when JaGex takes away that area, they're going to move elsewhere. Furthermore, I read the "Y u go" thread, and it was full of BS. Frankly, I'd be rather insulted if I was a regard Rants section user and read that sorry excuse for a reason to remove the forum.

Edit: Before you go and dismiss the Rants forum as a totally unconstructive forum, take a minute and read some of the major threads in there. Everyone should be versed in distinguishing trolls from serious players by now, so just skip over those.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

To remove the Rants section of the RSOF won't solve all the trolling on there. It's sad that Jagex seems to believe so. The trollers will just move to other subforums, spamming and trolling on there, making the mess even worse. And those who were posting seriously in the rants forum will now dissapear. A very bad decision in my opinion.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

What a joke. The last time Jagex removed the rants section, the trollers/spammers moved into the compliments/general discussion section. Nothing will be accomplished by removing the rants section. In fact, I'm willing to predict that removing the rants section will put more of a burden on the moderators because all of the trolling/spamming will be all over the RSOF.

slayer_maik.png

99 Cooking - August 20th, 2010

99 Woodcutting - September 3rd, 2010

You can't verbally slaughter a good troll. They might as well delete the whole forum

Nope, the only option with a good troll is to ban them, basically. And because their forums are so low quality, that will almost never happen. You have to really, really work hard for a 'forum mute'.

hzvjpwS.gif

They do permanently ban folks from the forums. I'm not sure why you think they don't.

Now as a bit of a side and totally unrelated note, I take pride in being permanently banned from the RSOF three times, in addition to receiving numerous three days bans, though I can still post.