RS RWT with "Legal" RWT Games

jjjon123

Well, its been a couple months since ive done anythin RS, and Its been a nice break :D

Even not playing Runescape or going to runescape sites, Ive seen runescape real-world trading on other Game forums, particularly SPUF (Steam powered users forum) with Team Fortress 2. Steam has put up a stance that RWT is shunned but not discouraged or prohibbited, Recently they even seem to encourage it by releasing a new feature allowing trading of IRL Video games with Virtual goods.

The problem I have seen is the trading of Team Fortress 2 virtual items with virtual items of other games, while this is ok for some games that are part of steam and dont care about RWT. This is a problem for RS. Ive seen dozens of threads offering RSGP for TF2 Items. While this demographic may not be large or significant, I still find it sort of frustrating that RS RWT lives on in the forums of games that have "legal" rwt.

I think a company as big as Steam and a game as big as TF2 should care more about whats happening in their game and stop the trading with games with illegal RWT. Or maybe Jagex should pursue something like this stopping rwt on official game forums. (as well as community based forums but thats another discussion)

What do you think of this one-sided "Legal" RWT with big games such as TF2?

pikatips001.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips002.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips003.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips004.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips005.png1,000 F2P Total Level Reached 10/8/10 !

[hide=Guides]Magic & Summoning Profit Spreadsheets! *UPDATES EVERY HOUR* (includes: High alch, Superheat, and Enchanting)

4 BETTER alternatives to flesh crawlers[/hide]

WOT WOT!

☉.☉☂

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the problem is that, although Jagex do not allow the trading of their virtual goods for real money, many forums and such hosting this RWT are community run, don't make any kind of profit and are purely left up to the users. This isn't wrong. It's a laissez-faire way of running community sites which works.

While it is "wrong", the legal implications are sketchy and not so black and white. IS IT actually illegal to RWT? No, not really. Is it against Jagex' policy? Yes, but are they going to persue every small corner of the internet to prevent it? No.

Truth is, it benefits Jagex to have such communities exist and keep their markets and currently liquid. Also, it would cost Jagex far more in legal fees to persue this than most people realise.

But this would force Jagex to admit there is a problem. They tend to daintily side-step around things like this and pretend they don't exist, so the last thing they're going to do is pony up and do the right thing.

Blizzard has done the exact same thing as Steam/TF2 with Diablo 3. They knew they couldn't stop the rwt sites, so instead of pretending they didn't exist and ignoring the problem, Blizzard will now be the ones running them. This is the best and safest route to take when you know you won't be able to stop the problem.

floorgazer.png

RS RWT isn't illegal, and that's where your argument crumbles down.

when i say "illegal", i mean "against policy" or "not allowed" if you do it you "may" get your account suspended

pikatips001.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips002.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips003.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips004.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips005.png1,000 F2P Total Level Reached 10/8/10 !

[hide=Guides]Magic & Summoning Profit Spreadsheets! *UPDATES EVERY HOUR* (includes: High alch, Superheat, and Enchanting)

4 BETTER alternatives to flesh crawlers[/hide]

WOT WOT!

☉.☉☂

when i say "illegal", i mean "against policy" or "not allowed" if you do it you "may" get your account suspended

Then I don't get why Valve should care. If it's not against the law, and not against their own policy, they shouldn't give a crap.

Jagex should be the one to take measures to prevent things such as those, since they are the ones who care who sells what to who.

crossed_body.png

We all know what he ment by illegal, so please don't spam a thread, with potential discussion value, with comments such as those.

On a much different note, RWT is against the rules for sure, so is botting. Which is the bigger problem? That's debatable to the end of time. There isn't anything JaGex can really do since it is just certain players breaking the rules on a much different game. Steam should not have to watch over their players breaking rules on other games; I'm sure they have their own problems. It's Jagex's duty to monitor their players and ban accordingly. The responsibility lies with JaGex and the other gaming does not need to care in the slightest.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

We all know what he ment by illegal, so please don't spam a thread, with potential discussion value, with comments such as those.

On a much different note, RWT is against the rules for sure, so is botting. Which is the bigger problem? That's debatable to the end of time. There isn't anything JaGex can really do since it is just certain players breaking the rules on a much different game. Steam should not have to watch over their players breaking rules on other games; I'm sure they have their own problems. It's Jagex's duty to monitor their players and ban accordingly. The responsibility lies with JaGex and the other gaming does not need to care in the slightest.

Errr, in the first sentence you say 'don't spam the thread with potential discussion value' and in the next sentence you bring up botting. :-D :thumbsup:

I am not surprised by the ammount of RWT going on, free trade + old wild opened a huge can of worms. Seems like Jagex is loosing more and more grip on the community. (or what is left from it)

Funny how you mention I'm spamming, when right after you proceed to repeat what I've said in a post directly above your own. Stop being a back-seat mod, you just irritate people that way.

And no, we don't all know what he meant by illegal. For all I know, he might be misinformed about the law. That's why I like clarification on ambiguous terms.

crossed_body.png

Stop being a back-seat mod, you just irritate people that way.

He's always been like this.

Unless Jagex can find a way to properly distinguish RWT'ers and come down hard on them, I don't expect much to stop or change. Seeing as they can't take legal action it is up to them to either monitor their game closely or make some changes.

qs2X.png

"Only by going too far can one find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot

Unless Jagex can find a way to properly distinguish RWT'ers and come down hard on them, I don't expect much to stop or change. Seeing as they can't take legal action it is up to them to either monitor their game closely or make some changes.

Agreed. To combat this issue it requires fundamental change in handling it. However, there current attitude is like when someone says "no, stop" in a tepid voice and than says, "well I tried."

On another note, I'm confused why RWT isn't illegal. I'm not very familiar with British law, but I know in the United States a fundamental breach of contract is considered legally wrongful. I mean I see how it could be impractical for Jagex to sue for damages for said breach for many aspects, but it's still illegal in the sense it intentionally violates the legal requirement of having to adhere to a contractual agreement.

kaisershami.png

He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked... Your daily life is your temple and your religion

I've seen this before when I play Puzzle Pirates. People in game there advertise selling RuneScape accounts for ingame money there (which isn't allowed either). It's sad but just like GP can be bought with $ and £, other MMO currency can be sold with GP.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I heard their future games will all have an official "rwt" basically, you can buy coins from Jagex themselves, buying from other(s) is at your own risk.

Not sure if they'd implement this into RS, but I don't see any problem in it any more, they've already made the game too easy.

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly, the game should just enable RWT. I think it would get most of the botters and such to bugger off. Most MMO's sell in-game stuff for money now anyway and it doesn't seem detrimental. Just don't shove it down people's faces.

enex2sigjpegkm3.jpg

Do you hate Wyverns or Warped Terrorbirds? Think again! Misunderstood Monsters!

Want to become a Champion of Champions like I once was? Champion Scroll Guide!

Feeling Bored? List of Sidequests

Rare Drops: Dragon Sq Half : 1, Dragon Med : 2, Dragon Claws : 2, Dragon Legs : 1, Dragon Boots : 60+, Granite Legs: 8

Honestly, the game should just enable RWT. I think it would get most of the botters and such to bugger off. Most MMO's sell in-game stuff for money now anyway and it doesn't seem detrimental. Just don't shove it down people's faces.

I'd be all in for this if they reduced membership prices to boot. Because normally only f2p games have cash shops.

crossed_body.png

I'm fully against this:

What should be done is increase the monthly price so bots can't sustain (ie make it around 50 euros). Using RWT simply means the more money the more you can have. And economically it means those without A BIG sum of money cna't ever compete with those who do have.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I'm fully against this:

What should be done is increase the monthly price so bots can't sustain (ie make it around 50 euros). Using RWT simply means the more money the more you can have. And economically it means those without A BIG sum of money cna't ever compete with those who do have.

I'm pretty sure that if the price of playing Runescape went up by 100%, that more than half of the current members would quit, essentially creating a deficit.

If not quitting out of lack of money, than out of spite and/or principal.

Guest jrhairychest

I'm fully against this:

I'm pretty sure that if the price of playing Runescape went up by 100%, that more than half of the current members would quit, essentially creating a deficit.

Agreed :thumbup:

I'm fully against this:

Even more reasons to let the price grow. Those who are too immature to understand that gaming costs money shouldn't be here.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Guest jrhairychest

Even more reasons to let the price grow. Those who are too immature to understand that gaming costs money shouldn't be here.

Does that inlcude those who are too immature to understand Fook's very correct statement?