Black history month

obfuscator

Well, it's that time again (for NA countries, anyway). The time where we put an end to racism by "celebrating our differences". :rolleyes:

Morgan Freeman sums up my feelings on the issue.

What do you think?

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do I think? I love Morgan Freeman. All the black people at my work are going to get all 'February' on me, which is just annoying. I understand your past is harsh, but telling me about it isn't going to change anything; and then they feel they can get and do whatever they want this month. Note I'm not racist, It's just what's going to happen.

I agree. The whole point behind Black History Month is entirely counter-intuitive. We don't need an obligation to celebrate true freedom and equality. It just gets in the way.

Why's it so controversial? They get one month, we get eleven. Good deal.

[hide=Disclaimer]If you can't tell that the above sentence is an attempt at dry sarcasm, and that it doesn't really represent my viewpoint or of white people in general, then you should just avoid all Internet debates from now on.[/hide]

Cotten-balls2.jpg

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

I just laughed out loud for at least a full minute.

Yeah... you can probably tell by now that I don't take BHM very seriously and, frankly, I don't think most black people do, which is what makes it all the more tragic.

Yeah, I laughed at that picture too. Yeah, sure it's great to have Black History Month but it doesn't really symbolise that much for me anymore. (I'm black)

(In Britain, it's October)

There is still slavery in the world, on a smaller scale thankfully, and racism still and will continue to exist.

But history in general has moved on, and things have changed, and changed for the better.

What I don't get is, why does Hispanics only have a pride month and not a history month? :?

But yeah, I agree with Mr. Freeman. Stop talking about racism and it will go away. Why didn't I grew up to be a racist? Because in my childhood my parents didn't taught me colours.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I'd have to say I agree with the point that Mr. Freeman seems to be trying to make up there in that video. I have never been able to understand how dedicating an entire month to, essentially pointing out how different one ethnicity is could possibly be conducive to eliminating racism. I always get the feeling that its more meant for people of African descent then it is for the 'white' people. A month where they learn about their own culture. But doesn't that just promote that they are different even more? We are fighting racism by shouting "Look! Look at how different we are!"?

I'd have to say I agree with the point that Mr. Freeman seems to be trying to make up there in that video. I have never been able to understand how dedicating an entire month to, essentially pointing out how different one ethnicity is could possibly be conducive to eliminating racism. I always get the feeling that its more meant for people of African descent then it is for the 'white' people. A month where they learn about their own culture. But doesn't that just promote that they are different even more? We are fighting racism by shouting "Look! Look at how different we are!"?

Exactly. "Black history" is world history. There's no difference - and events like BHM just make it seem like there is.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

What I don't get is, why does Hispanics only have a pride month and not a history month? :?

But yeah, I agree with Mr. Freeman. Stop talking about racism and it will go away. Why didn't I grew up to be a racist? Because in my childhood my parents didn't taught me colours.

Because 'Hispanic History" is a very large and extensive subject. By "Black History", they tend to mean just the history of American Blacks from slavery to the present.

:huh:

By that logic, then Black History Month composes all of Africa's history? From pre-history through the great migration, ancient history, medieval, and modern?

Of course I mean within American history, just like Black. I mean, the logic for Black History month is to give an oppressed people a month of memorial yet the Hispanics were just as much segregated and discriminated against along with the blacks. Not to mention Asians, Native Americans, and every non-white race who lived in America. But only Blacks get a History Month.

So this focus on Blacks is really unnecessary and a bit of reverse racism - since nobody else (non-white) gets one.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT

Hispanics aren't a race. But my argument is to prove the point that everybody should get a month or nobody does. Asians now recently get something too and it's not called History neither.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Morgan Freeman does not speak for all blacks. Neither does Al Sharpton, James Brown, or any other famous or influential member of the black community.

It looks like a few posters here seem to be using the argument of "every ethnicity should get a month if blacks do!" as a way of simply saying "I don't think black people deserve a month of cultural celebration and historical reflection." I don't doubt this will be denied, but it's easy to see who is just a wee bit prejudiced. If you have to say "I'm not a racist, but..." it usually means whatever follows is probably a little racist.

There should be absolutely no problem taking ONE month out of the year to recognize the ethnic group that was--BY LAW--oppressed, used, and otherwise completely degraded as human beings for nearly 375 years. As a side note, saying "slavery has been over since the end of the Civil War" means nothing. Neither does "none of us today participated in owning slaves." The mistreatment of African Americans goes much, much deeper than the chattel labor system. Most of our parents (and all of our grandparents) experienced an America that was segregated. Even after the Civil Rights act of 1964, prejudice, inequality, and racism did not disappear. Even today many laws still indirectly (whether or not that is on purpose or not is for another debate) put African Americans and other ethnic groups at a severe disadvantage.

Instead of moaning, complaining, and trying to conjure up as many reasons why there shouldn't be a Black History Month, why don't we go out and celebrate this month TOGETHER? It's not just for African Americans to celebrate, after all. We should all be celebrating the culture and history of a large portion of Americans and participating in things that are partially or even completely foreign to us. But then again, many people in this country (and a few in this thread) are narcissistic cretins that believe the world will be forever divided on ethnic issues, and that celebrations of ethnicity and culture serve only to highlight tensions and racism. To those of you who truly believe this, I have saved a very special part of my heart that mourns for your limited perspective of the world.

EDIT: Also, Ring_World, the historian in me is cringing so badly at your interpretation of "Hispanic history." :mad:

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

EDIT: Also, Ring_World, the historian in me is cringing so badly at your interpretation of "Hispanic history." :mad:

Ditto

I don't have much of an opinion on BHM, just another month in my eyes but it's still important to recognizes and respect it as there are still many who choose to oppress .

tFtfA.jpg

I want an Asian History Month. How about that Chinese_Exclusion_Act of 1880 that prevented my great-grandparents from going east of Hawaii until 1943? No more than 105 new Chinese immigrants were allowed in until 1965 and an apology wasn't issued until 2011. What about the Japanese internment camps? The victims' homes were taken away, their possessions were sold, and they had to live miserable lives in the camps, not to be barely reimbursed until the 90s. And let's not forget the Chinese immigrants who built the western half of the transcontinental railroad (the dangerous part through the Rocky Mountains). Certainly there's enough to warrant our own month, right?

Point being, there should be no months dedicated to individual races. It's all part of one unit - American history. You could go on and on about what it would be like today if there had been no blacks, or no Jews, or no Asians, or any other race. Well no kidding it would be different. Intelligence and innovation belong to no one race, but rather to the hard working and the dedicated. :thumbup:

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

In the long run, elevating one ethnic group and giving it a special status hurts relations more than it helps.

When it comes to programs attempting to help an ethnic group, usually it ends up hurting them. While I don't feel I have any authority to speak on the subject, I've read several prominent African Americans describe how affirmative action has made them feel inferior by lessening their accomplishments, exactly opposite of what it was intended to do. Logically, I can understand that.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155469/go-ahead-apologize

♪♪ And I'm not done

[spoiler=Speech about double standards warning some strong language]Someone finally said it.

How many are actually paying attention to this?

There are African Americans, Mexican Americans, Asian Americans, Arab Americans, etc. And then there are just Americans.

You pass me on the street and sneer in my direction. You call me 'White boy,' 'Cracker,' 'Honkey,' 'Whitey,' 'Caveman' ... and that's OK.

But when I call you, [racist term], K***, T**** head, Sand-[racist term], C**** Jockey, Beaner, [grime], or [racist term] ... You call me a racist.

You say that whites commit a lot of violence against you, so why are the ghettos the most dangerous places to live?

You have the United Negro College Fund.

You have Martin Luther King Day.

You have Black History Month.

You have Cesar Chavez Day.

You have Yom Hashoah.

You have Ma'uled Al-Nabi.

You have the NAACP.

You have BET.

If we had WET (White Entertainment Television) we'd be racists.

If we had a White Pride Day, you would call us racists.

If we had White History Month, we'd be racists.

If we had any organization for only whites to 'advance' OUR lives we'd be racists.

We have a Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, a Black Chamber of Commerce, and then we just have the plain Chamber of Commerce. Wonder who pays for that?

A white woman could not be in the Miss Black American pageant, but any color can be in the Miss America pageant.

If we had a college fund that only gave white students scholarships you know we'd be racists. There are over 60 openly proclaimed Black Colleges in the US. Yet if there were 'White colleges' THAT would be a racist college.

In the Million Man March, you believed that you were marching for your race and rights. If we marched for our race and rights, you would call us racists.

You are proud to be black, brown, yellow and orange, and you're not afraid to announce it. But when we announce our white pride, you call us racists.

You rob us, carjack us, and shoot at us. But, when a white police officer shoots a black gang member or beats up a black drug-dealer running from the law and posing a threat to society, you call him a racist.

I am proud. But you call me a racist.

Why is it that only whites can be racists?

I think some of the examples are extreme, but the general idea I agree with.

PM me for fitocracy invite

[spoiler=Speech about double standards warning some strong language]Someone finally said it.

How many are actually paying attention to this?

There are African Americans, Mexican Americans, Asian Americans, Arab Americans, etc. And then there are just Americans.

You pass me on the street and sneer in my direction. You call me 'White boy,' 'Cracker,' 'Honkey,' 'Whitey,' 'Caveman' ... and that's OK.

But when I call you, [racist term], K***, T**** head, Sand-[racist term], C**** Jockey, Beaner, [grime], or [racist term] ... You call me a racist.

You say that whites commit a lot of violence against you, so why are the ghettos the most dangerous places to live?

You have the United Negro College Fund.

You have Martin Luther King Day.

You have Black History Month.

You have Cesar Chavez Day.

You have Yom Hashoah.

You have Ma'uled Al-Nabi.

You have the NAACP.

You have BET.

If we had WET (White Entertainment Television) we'd be racists.

If we had a White Pride Day, you would call us racists.

If we had White History Month, we'd be racists.

If we had any organization for only whites to 'advance' OUR lives we'd be racists.

We have a Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, a Black Chamber of Commerce, and then we just have the plain Chamber of Commerce. Wonder who pays for that?

A white woman could not be in the Miss Black American pageant, but any color can be in the Miss America pageant.

If we had a college fund that only gave white students scholarships you know we'd be racists. There are over 60 openly proclaimed Black Colleges in the US. Yet if there were 'White colleges' THAT would be a racist college.

In the Million Man March, you believed that you were marching for your race and rights. If we marched for our race and rights, you would call us racists.

You are proud to be black, brown, yellow and orange, and you're not afraid to announce it. But when we announce our white pride, you call us racists.

You rob us, carjack us, and shoot at us. But, when a white police officer shoots a black gang member or beats up a black drug-dealer running from the law and posing a threat to society, you call him a racist.

I am proud. But you call me a racist.

Why is it that only whites can be racists?

This was honestly just laughable and a huge generalization of non-whites as a whole. Half of this doesn't even make sense. I can just picture the angst-filled suburban white kid writing it.

Things aren't as black and white (no pun intended) as they seem when it comes to race, as much as people want them to be. Looking at big picture of America, we are still relatively close to the Civil Rights era. Is it really such a surprise that you're going to be called a racist when you call a black person the N word? There is a lot more history and negative context to this word than "cracker."

I could address this whole thing line by line but it's just so ridiculous. You would think white people would have figured out the WHY CAN'T WE SAY WHITE POWER BUT THEY CAN SAY BLACK POWER?? thing a long time ago.

i saw quite a few black people. (the term african america is unnecessary, irrevlant and [bleep]ed, I as a non-american have this view - so you probably dont give a shit anyway). but yeah

I would like to be able to switch between their patois and my own. dat reel type of boondocks [racist term] shit nuhwhumsayin. would be useful

You would think white people would have figured out the WHY CAN'T WE SAY WHITE POWER BUT THEY CAN SAY BLACK POWER?? thing a long time ago.

You would think that in a post racial world, it wouldn't matter what either group said. Guess we're not quite there yet.

♪♪ And I'm not done