Tip.It Times - 6 May 2012

Jaffy1

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

callingwriters.jpg

WRITE FOR THE TIMES - SUBMIT A GUEST ARTICLE:

Remember, YOU can write an article for the Tip.It Times! You can apply to write full time, or just submit a "one-off" guest article any time you want! Our editors will work with you to ensure that your article is ready for publication. All guest articles can be submitted to @tripsis or any other Editorial Panel member. For more information, including details on how to apply full time, read this forum thread: http://forum.tip.it/topic/209138-how-to-write-for-the-tipit-times/

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to tripsis or Jaffy1 by PMing them and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to @Jaffy1. :)

Enjoy the articles!

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

lol i knew someone was going to write about how the runespan replaces the old runecrafting method, but this is an game that is constantly changing so deal with it. Im pretty sure we can see prices of runes highjacking up in coming months tbh

I don't understand why they wouldn't have the runecrafting runes be xp per rune made. Yes that may make air runes good xp and dirt cheap like fire runes were, but at least people will be crafting.

Diomedus.png

Diomedus.png

War is not about who's right, it's about who's left

I don't see Runespan as a seperate minigame/activity, but more like a secluded, self-contained training area like herblore habitat.

What did the Dyk mean?

VJH7N9F.png

zuzmo.png 

I love the DYK <3:

What did the Dyk mean?

Say you are attacking a green dragon. 10 bots attack at the same time as you. Your hit only pops up as a 53 yet you gain xp for hitting 750 damage. You would get the drop, not the bot that hit the most damage of (say) 277.

ozXHe7P.png

Say you are attacking a green dragon. 10 bots attack at the same time as you. Your hit only pops up as a 53 yet you gain xp for hitting 750 damage. You would get the drop, not the bot that hit the most damage of (say) 277.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I was wondering about that too.

Of course, someone has to complain about Runespan. Get over it, the old way sucked and was designed at a time when there was no real incentive to get 99 anyway.

I love the DYK <3:

What did the Dyk mean?

How do you gain 750xp by hitting 53? o.o

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

Because your hit is generated half a second before it actually lands. So the monster can appear to have more HP left than when the blow actually lands, after another attack hits it in between. However, the game doesn't actually dock you of the extra experience.

Did I succeed in being at least partially clear? \::/

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I love the DYK <3:

What did the Dyk mean?

How do you gain 750xp by hitting 53? o.o

Well, you wouldn't get 750 XP. You'd get much less because a green dragon has <x> health. Regardless, if all hits land in the same tick and the monster dies, you'll get the amount of XP as if you were the only one who did damage, but your damage splat may only be 53 (as in the example). You would have hit the 750 damage or whatever, but since other players' damage splats popped up first, it only shows up to the monster's health in damage splats...

edit: Post above is much more clear than mine...

ozXHe7P.png

Disagree with the Runespan article. Changing the ingame RC aspects by increasing rune amounts or making the altars closer to banks don't make RC more profitable. Putting more runes in the game makes runes cheaper, not more expensive.

This is probably a good time for someone to do an article highlighting the various "mini-games" that have become the defacto skilling areas which don't introduce economy crushing items into the game: Herblore Habitat (hunting), Curly Roots (FM), Sawmill (WC) and now Runespan (RC) come to mind in addition to Pyramid Plunder (THF) and Artisan Workshop (SMTH). Removing old skilling methods that depended on expensive ingrediants yet introduced millions of useless byproducts just worked against itself. With the mini-game skilling taking over, that leaves room for created items to gain value as they're made for profit, not for xp.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

First article: Meh. I can certainly relate to missing or being nostalgic of what once was. It's okay to look back. However dwelling on what you wish was still here accomplishes little. Plus, nobody is stopping anybody from traditional runecrafting. The fact that as a training method it is no longer the fastest, thank <insert deity> and obsolete in terms of xp rate doesn't mean people should or will just stop doing it. I'm still gonna craft the 15k pure ess in my bank into deaths through the abyss. Guthan's is obsolete as a regeneration technique on slayer assignments but I still use it on every task where I'm not using a protection prayer and need to heal. Things change but what existed before never just dissapears - kind of against thermodynamic law if you'll let me make a philosophical stretch. Things will continue to exist in an evolved or changed state, that's all.

Second article: Almost fully agreed. I love that you point out that the behavior and psychology of each individual in the community affects the whole and vice versa. I've been waiting for someone to point out that the behavior of a population (for the record I consider the folks working at Jagex a part of the community as well) cannot be faulted to a single individual or even a large group of them. What exists is a result of the dynamic that exists between and around all parts of any given frame of reference. We can rag on Jagex as hard as we want and blame them for everything but the fact is that our behavior affects theirs as well and perhaps more powerfully than most of us would accept.

Jubei_Reborn.png

The Fox Returns!

Disagree with the Runespan article. Changing the ingame RC aspects by increasing rune amounts or making the altars closer to banks don't make RC more profitable. Putting more runes in the game makes runes cheaper, not more expensive.

I'd wager that the majority of runes in game are from monster drops, not runecrafting. If they were from runecrafting, one will expect that the price per rune will drastically increase over the next few weeks due to the drop in supply.

If runes in game aren't from runecrafting, then increasing the number created from runecrafting won't do much to the price.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Because your hit is generated half a second before it actually lands. So the monster can appear to have more HP left than when the blow actually lands, after another attack hits it in between. However, the game doesn't actually dock you of the extra experience.

Did I succeed in being at least partially clear? \::/

Oh! I think I get it. You're given experience for damage that isn't shown yet, but someone else's damage appears visually (say, a 140) in between the time your damage is calculated and the time the monster dies from the person's attack. But because you're given greater experience, you're rewarded the loot. :P ?

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

First article: Meh. I can certainly relate to missing or being nostalgic of what once was. It's okay to look back. However dwelling on what you wish was still here accomplishes little. Plus, nobody is stopping anybody from traditional runecrafting. The fact that as a training method it is no longer the fastest, thank <insert deity> and obsolete in terms of xp rate doesn't mean people should or will just stop doing it. I'm still gonna craft the 15k pure ess in my bank into deaths through the abyss. Guthan's is obsolete as a regeneration technique on slayer assignments but I still use it on every task where I'm not using a protection prayer and need to heal. Things change but what existed before never just dissapears - kind of against thermodynamic law if you'll let me make a philosophical stretch. Things will continue to exist in an evolved or changed state, that's all.

Second article: Almost fully agreed. I love that you point out that the behavior and psychology of each individual in the community affects the whole and vice versa. I've been waiting for someone to point out that the behavior of a population (for the record I consider the folks working at Jagex a part of the community as well) cannot be faulted to a single individual or even a large group of them. What exists is a result of the dynamic that exists between and around all parts of any given frame of reference. We can rag on Jagex as hard as we want and blame them for everything but the fact is that our behavior affects theirs as well and perhaps more powerfully than most of us would accept.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Another example for the first article. The home teleport makes it easy to get around Runescape, uses no runes, and is available to everyone. However, you wouldn't use a home teleport in the wild, and some places do not have a lodgestone. Plus the old teleports with runes still give you exp. I still people in Falador teleporting to Falador this way to raise their lvl. And yes, you get a lot of runes from monsters as drops, but I wager that even with Runespan you still get your runes the hard way if you do not buy them, by going to an alter. If anything, players can lvl up faster and make more runes now with Runespan and will still runecraft the old way.

The second article was on point!

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

KOC:

There just needs to be incentive to traditionally RC... If there was something like an achievement diary task with a good reward that required people to manually craft a lot of runes of each/any/some type(s) of runes from scratch, then people would be out there crafting runes. Until then, unless there is some update that requires millions of runes to be created, people won't do it the old way.

Really though, this sort of already happened with say, the mind altar. What good reason did anyone have to go to the mind altar more than once even before Runespan?

Really though, this sort of already happened with say, the mind altar. What good reason did anyone have to go to the mind altar more than once even before Runespan?

Mind wasn't used too much. Air, Water, Earth, Fire, and Body had niches in F2P depending on what the person was trying to do. If I recall correctly, members usually did nature, law, or death if they weren't ZMIing.

I'd rather have more than one method of training a skill, and have trade offs between GP/hr, XP/hr, and AFKability.

My biggest question is why JaGEx rarely ever modernizing old content? Fiddling with some numbers shouldn't take too much effort.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Because it looks friggen cool in there!! :D

Jubei_Reborn.png

The Fox Returns!

My biggest question is why JaGEx rarely ever modernizing old content? Fiddling with some numbers shouldn't take too much effort.

Introducing a minigame to correct poor exp rates seems a whole lot easier to me than studying balancing of every craftable rune and the economic implications of what they would need to make such an old and clearly broken system functional again. I'd imagine that if they had to redo RC'ing, that it'd be far more similar in what we see with the RuneSpan, than what we had previously.

hzvjpwS.gif

I'd wager that the majority of runes in game are from monster drops, not runecrafting. If they were from runecrafting, one will expect that the price per rune will drastically increase over the next few weeks due to the drop in supply.

If runes in game aren't from runecrafting, then increasing the number created from runecrafting won't do much to the price.

I don't think so actually. For F2P runes, this might be the case, but for member runes I'm pretty sure that runecrafting makes up a big portion of it. How many runes do you really get through monster drops? The numbers aren't that big. We'll be able to see exactly when checking the prices of runes though. If they don't change much, then you would be right.

[hide]

[/hide]

I don't think so actually. For F2P runes, this might be the case, but for member runes I'm pretty sure that runecrafting makes up a big portion of it. How many runes do you really get through monster drops? The numbers aren't that big. We'll be able to see exactly when checking the prices of runes though. If they don't change much, then you would be right.

This would make runecrafting runes more profitable though, which may be an incentive for people to make runes the old-fashioned way for money.

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

I'd like to say that Astrals, Laws, Bloods, Natures, and maybe Deaths are the only runes that are crafted more than dropped. All of the other runes are so common that I have accumulated thousands of them while slaying over the years. Heck, I have upwards of 5k Bloods/Deaths just from slayer and nearly 20k Chaos from slayer as well.

With regarding to Runespan, it's actually a minigame that replaces almost the entire concept of Runecrafting in F2P, as players flock there for exp. The Real Runecrafting Level was the 1 you had before runespan for F2pers, and I know more will max 99 RC from this update for sure. It's an update that dumps traditional methods totally.

Yeah, like that zaryte bow

wait

recharge costs = ammo.

So, all melee weapons are overpowered, at least.

this combat triangle finally makes sense...

I'd imagine low level runes would see the biggest impact because nobody levels with those anymore.

High level runes on the other hand could easily go down in price because more people will be getting to a high runecrafting level now for the ability to make those in the first place, and the new runecrafting rewards allow players to make more runes per trip to some of those harder-to-reach altars.