18-5-2012 The Evolution of Combat: Beta Sign-Up

Carl

As announced last week, one of the most eagerly anticipated and frequently requested updates will be launching in RuneScape this summer. The Evolution of Combat project will see the biggest change to any system in RuneScapes history and, as if that wasnt exciting enough, RuneScape members will also be able to apply to take part in our first ever limited access closed beta.

All those wishing to apply for the beta and gain exclusive access to the update before everyone else will be able to sign up for the chance to take part from the 1st June. Beta players will not only be the first to get to grips with the new combat mechanics but will also have the unique opportunity to help test and shape the dynamics of the update ahead of its full release later this year.

combat1_thumb-18140804.jpg

By taking part in the beta and showing us your best use of swordplay, eagle-eyed archers tricks and esoteric wizards gambits, youll be working with us to create a battle system thats fluid, interactive, and well and truly built for you. Over the coming weeks we will be revealing some of the incredible new features to whet your appetite, but remember to sign up on the 1st June to ensure you dont miss out on the chance to take part.

Full details of how to register for the beta along with some tantalising teasers will be announced on www.runescape.com. The first batch of beta testers will be able to enter the game on the 26th June with all members gaining access shortly after. All members interested in taking part will be granted beta access before the full release, but we encourage you to register as early as possible to be in with a chance of being among the first to experience the update.

combat2_thumb-18140907.jpg

The closed beta will only be open to RuneScape members, so if you want to be in with a chance of experiencing the new combat system, be sure to sign up for RuneScape membership before the 1st June.

Still itching for more information? Then be sure to tune in to upcoming Behind the Scenes videos for more details about the combat rework announcement and our first ever beta trial.

The RuneScape Content Team

http://services.runescape.com/m=news/the-evolution-of-combat-beta-sign-up

RIP Michaelangelopolous

EDIT: Nvm, just read it through again. Quite looking forward to this. Wonder what those elementals are supposed to represent.

Considering how human they look in structure I'd say it's possible that we will be able to transform into them in some way.

Sylpheed.png

EDIT: Nvm, just read it through again. Quite looking forward to this. Wonder what those elementals are supposed to represent.

Considering how human they look in structure I'd say it's possible that we will be able to transform into them in some way.

they look like atronachs, wind, earth (?), water and fire.

or heck, the monsters from the elemental workshop rooms.

dont tell me that in that first picture, the guy 3rd from the right is using a crossbow two handed?

xcsx7c.png | 3gliP.jpg | 51y5tv.png  |  8mO5K.jpg

A Blog to Bathtubs for Beginners
Quest Cape | 99 Defence Achieved 11-Jul-2011 17:41 | 99 Prayer 11-Jul-2012 | 99 Constitution 02-Aug-2012

99 Attack 31/10/2012 | 99 Dungeoneering 31/10/2012 | 99 Strength 31/10/2012 | 99 Magic 2/12/2012

99 Range 16/12/2012 | 99 Herblore 25/12/2012 | 99 Summoning 4/1/2013 | 99 Firemaking 6/3/2013

99 Farming 10/4/2013 | 99 Slayer 11/7/2013 | 99 Fletching 21/8/2013  |  99 Smithing 22/8/2013 

99 Crafting 19/12/2013  |  99 Cooking 15/1/2014  |  99 Agility 25/1/2014  |  99 Thieving 01/02/2014

99 Construction 21/04/2014  |  99 Woodcutting 04/03/2014  |  99 Fishing 17/04/2014  |  99 Mining 23/07/2015

99 Divination 27/07/2015  |  99 Runecrafting 20/08/2015  |  99 Hunter 20/08/2015  | Maxed 20/08/2015

Maybe we'll see special class abilities like turning into elementals that do damage based on their element?

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Maybe we'll see special class abilities like turning into elementals that do damage based on their element?

Yea, that's what I was thinking. I doubt they're the monsters from EW, as all of those, with the exception of the earth one, don't have legs.

This article is about the combat update after all. It could be some kind of ability that turns you into one of those elementals when you're casting elemental spells to boost its respective damage.

Sylpheed.png

The beta should really be interesting. I hope the testers will have access to Jmod-esque abilities.

I kind of hope that beta profiles will have similar combat stats as the tester's account, minus some Jmod-esque abilities. Last thing this beta test needs is every single person playing godmode with 3 Nex sets and a Divine :P

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

The last picture is clearly a hint at a new transmorgification skill.

The beta should really be interesting. I hope the testers will have access to Jmod-esque abilities.

Based on their timeliness, I'm thinking more like bug testing and final feedback. Though for the testers to cause any real changes, I would have thought the beta test would a bit earlier.

It also seems that they are picking testers at random? The sign up just led to the 'get members Page'.

In the first RS2 beta, they wiped our banks so we started out fresh but our skill levels carried over. During the second round of beta testing, everything transferred over and you auto equipped the first 3 or four items in your inventory. No mod powers. I imagine they'd do the same with this beta, since the purpose is only to test the new combat type and with thousands of people trying it out, they don't need to manipulate your stats.

tFtfA.jpg

Based on their timeliness, I'm thinking more like bug testing and final feedback. Though for the testers to cause any real changes, I would have thought the beta test would a bit earlier.

It also seems that they are picking testers at random? The sign up just led to the 'get members Page'.

Sign-up doesn't begin until the 1st of June. That link was simply reminding people that they'll need to be a member to even have a chance of participating.

Previously known as Monkeybeast0.

Walkman1022.jpeg

Sign-up doesn't begin until the 1st of June. That link was simply reminding people that they'll need to be a member to even have a chance of participating.

I was so disappointed.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I think it would be cool if the magic spells instead of being "cast" actually turned you into an elemental and you would then kick/punch/throw fireballs at them or something like that ;) Either that or its a new ability for magic/some other skill.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I think it would be cool if the magic spells instead of being "cast" actually turned you into an elemental and you would then kick/punch/throw fireballs at them or something like that ;) Either that or its a new ability for magic/some other skill.

I could see some kind of special ability called 'elemental infusion' or something like that and working the way you specified. Maybe some will offer more offensive and defensive abilities.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

There's a few things I could see these being.

1) They mentioned mage armours gaining auras to provide melee defence, maybe the aura appearance is defined by the spell you are casting.

2) The new specials etc. they mentioned

3) Ages ago they did an invent a spell contest thing on RSOF and the hands down winner was some kind of shielding spell with special effects(this could play into 2 of course) so perhaps alongside the rework we will get 4+ new shielding spells for mages.

Either way I hope that we get smoke, shadow, blood and ice versions of these as well to match ancients (and possibly though more of a stretch miasmic and some sort of lunar one)

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Either way I hope that we get smoke, shadow, blood and ice versions of these as well to match ancients (and possibly though more of a stretch miasmic and some sort of lunar one)

Permanent Vengence aura pl0x.

Sylpheed.png

This one has me a bit upset. Sure, Jagex is going to get RuneScape P2P combat calibrated. But what about F2P? Are the new combat systems going to even affect F2P? Are they intentionally leaving F2P broken or something? I don't know what they're up to, but if they want to make more money, they most definitely need a beta for F2P combat. Or if they're not going to make this new combat system part of F2P, then they need to repair the F2P combat triangle. Right now, if someone were to come in to F2P with a tilt towards Range and/or Mage combat, many of them would be unwilling to go P2P because they would think that P2P would be more of the same broken Pro-Melee situation. <_<

~D. V. "Personally, I think F2P is getting Jagex'd again..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

This one has me a bit upset. Sure, Jagex is going to get RuneScape P2P combat calibrated. But what about F2P? Are the new combat systems going to even affect F2P? Are they intentionally leaving F2P broken or something? I don't know what they're up to, but if they want to make more money, they most definitely need a beta for F2P combat. Or if they're not going to make this new combat system part of F2P, then they need to repair the F2P combat triangle. Right now, if someone were to come in to F2P with a tilt towards Range and/or Mage combat, many of them would be unwilling to go P2P because they would think that P2P would be more of the same broken Pro-Melee situation. <_<

I don't think you have to worry about the system being only P2P, this is supposed to be whole rework not just a balance for the whole combat system. F2P will definitely be getting it, just probably not a beta to test it out beforehand. Just think of this as exactly like when Jagex did the graphical rework except for combat instead.

I don't think you have to worry about the system being only P2P, this is supposed to be whole rework not just a balance for the whole combat system. F2P will definitely be getting it, just probably not a beta to test it out beforehand. Just think of this as exactly like when Jagex did the graphical rework except for combat instead.

Do you really think so? Graphical rework is quite a difference - it takes no work to make it f2p as well(Actuall it would be more work NOT to make it F2p) and it enhances the image of Runescape for new players. Unless it's absolutely unbalanced, a skewed combat system will not immediately chase off new players, and it would mean a lot more work to balance both f2p and p2p.

I really don't think F2P is going to get "Jagex'd", as D.V. put it. Don't forget, F2P combat is simply lower level P2P combat. If they rework the entire combat system and the bottom half of it is broken, no one is going to stick with it long enough to reach the good stuff members get at higher levels.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Do you really think so? Graphical rework is quite a difference - it takes no work to make it f2p as well(Actuall it would be more work NOT to make it F2p) and it enhances the image of Runescape for new players. Unless it's absolutely unbalanced, a skewed combat system will not immediately chase off new players, and it would mean a lot more work to balance both f2p and p2p.

See I was thinking that Jagex would want to make combat as consistent as possible. If the new combat system were to use a whole new engine it would seem like it would be more work to maintain both the old version in F2P and the new reworked version in P2P rather than just unifying it for everyone.

I really don't think F2P is going to get "Jagex'd", as D.V. put it. Don't forget, F2P combat is simply lower level P2P combat. If they rework the entire combat system and the bottom half of it is broken, no one is going to stick with it long enough to reach the good stuff members get at higher levels.

I'd think that F2P is only being blocked out of the beta-test -- not the actual upgrade, if, as and whenever it comes into effect.

I would imagine that, without so many of the variables available to P2P combat, F2P combat would be much simpler, in any event.

nyuseg.png

Don't misunderstand me, I think F2P will get new aspects for combat as well. It only makes sense to make those changes across the board.

However, don't expect a good balancing of the combat triangle. Just because P2P is balanced doesn't mean F2P is and what I mean is that Jagex isn't going to put much effort into F2P combat balancing.

Don't misunderstand me, I think F2P will get new aspects for combat as well. It only makes sense to make those changes across the board.

However, don't expect a good balancing of the combat triangle. Just because P2P is balanced doesn't mean F2P is and what I mean is that Jagex isn't going to put much effort into F2P combat balancing.

The trouble with balancing f2p is it would create an imbalance in the grand scheme of things because the 3 combat types cap off equipment-wise at totally different levels. What really needs to happen is to add remove gears from f2p so they all cap off at the same level region.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

The trouble with balancing f2p is it would create an imbalance in the grand scheme of things because the 3 combat types cap off equipment-wise at totally different levels. What really needs to happen is to add remove gears from f2p so they all cap off at the same level region.

Yeah exactly and I don't think they'll bother too much with looking at these caps.