18-5-2012 The Evolution of Combat: Beta Sign-Up

Carl

If 16,000 posts wasn't enough to make a dent in SoF, there's no way any serious changes will come of the combat plans from a select few p2p players testing this out.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

If 16,000 posts wasn't enough to make a dent in SoF, there's no way any serious changes will come of the combat plans from a select few p2p players testing this out.

Exactly. The only thing that will change is if there are any major bugs or oversights. It's good marketing though.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

This one has me a bit upset. Sure, Jagex is going to get RuneScape P2P combat calibrated. But what about F2P? Are the new combat systems going to even affect F2P? Are they intentionally leaving F2P broken or something? I don't know what they're up to, but if they want to make more money, they most definitely need a beta for F2P combat. Or if they're not going to make this new combat system part of F2P, then they need to repair the F2P combat triangle. Right now, if someone were to come in to F2P with a tilt towards Range and/or Mage combat, many of them would be unwilling to go P2P because they would think that P2P would be more of the same broken Pro-Melee situation. <_<

~D. V. "Personally, I think F2P is getting Jagex'd again..." Devnull

I don't think you have to worry about the system being only P2P, this is supposed to be whole rework not just a balance for the whole combat system. F2P will definitely be getting it, just probably not a beta to test it out beforehand. Just think of this as exactly like when Jagex did the graphical rework except for combat instead.

Do you really think so? Graphical rework is quite a difference - it takes no work to make it f2p as well(Actuall it would be more work NOT to make it F2p) and it enhances the image of Runescape for new players. Unless it's absolutely unbalanced, a skewed combat system will not immediately chase off new players, and it would mean a lot more work to balance both f2p and p2p.

All f2p'er items are p2p'er items as well. I don't how this would take a lot more work to add to f2p. Balancing the combat triangle is something else. I don't think we can expect that. But we can expect this update to affect all players.

This one has me a bit upset. Sure, Jagex is going to get RuneScape P2P combat calibrated. But what about F2P? Are the new combat systems going to even affect F2P? Are they intentionally leaving F2P broken or something? I don't know what they're up to, but if they want to make more money, they most definitely need a beta for F2P combat. Or if they're not going to make this new combat system part of F2P, then they need to repair the F2P combat triangle. Right now, if someone were to come in to F2P with a tilt towards Range and/or Mage combat, many of them would be unwilling to go P2P because they would think that P2P would be more of the same broken Pro-Melee situation. <_<

~D. V. "Personally, I think F2P is getting Jagex'd again..." Devnull

Upset about something you know nothing about? Lol

~Darkfriend the elitest "stone".

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Did they really need a pre-announcement for registration that hasn't even opened yet for a chance to beta test?

Yes. As I said in the "See the Future" thread:

If Jagex loves anything it is announcing a countdown leading to the announcement of an announcement.

It's also because now that Jagex is getting media attention, MMO-websites like my own, Massively, and MMORPG.com (plus others) will report on Jagex's announcement announcing the impending announcement which will detail when a further announcement will discuss a timeline for announcements when the actual update might get a few sentences in.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Oh industry, never change.

I don't mind the waiting. Or even building up a little hype. Just the constant reminders of, "Hey? You know this cool thing coming out? Well it's still not here yet - but it will be! Don't you want it! Don't you!"

It's a bit like pretending to chuck the ball for your dog, and laughing at his irritated demeanor when he can't find the ball.

hzvjpwS.gif

Oh industry, never change.

I don't mind the waiting. Or even building up a little hype. Just the constant reminders of, "Hey? You know this cool thing coming out? Well it's still not here yet - but it will be! Don't you want it! Don't you!"

It's a bit like pretending to chuck the ball for your dog, and laughing at his irritated demeanor when he can't find the ball.

At least your cat has a hamburger.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Why must you relate this to SOF? You shouldn't even be doing that because you are one sole voice against a change no one else has even experienced and seen put into effect. SOF was something we all got to see and experience because we got to see how it was gambling and offering free shots to win items players would otherwise be unable to obtain. I can't stand how people see an upcoming update and cry foul before the mechanics of the update are even experienced. You can run with the idea that jagex tends to over-hype and deliver watered down concepts, but don't relate it to such an atrocity as SOF.

On another note it would be better off to see things from the p2p perspective first because there are so many more going into combat that I would assume they'll want to incorporate into their combat rework and balancing such as weapons, specials, special effects, foods, familiars, p2p pking, dueling, minigame compatibilities.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Why must you relate this to SOF? You shouldn't even be doing that because you are one sole voice against a change no one else has even experienced and seen put into effect. SOF was something we all got to see and experience because we got to see how it was gambling and offering free shots to win items players would otherwise be unable to obtain. I can't stand how people see an upcoming update and cry foul before the mechanics of the update are even experienced. You can run with the idea that jagex tends to over-hype and deliver watered down concepts, but don't relate it to such an atrocity as SOF.

On another note it would be better off to see things from the p2p perspective first because there are so many more going into combat that I would assume they'll want to incorporate into their combat rework and balancing such as weapons, specials, special effects, foods, familiars, p2p pking, dueling, minigame compatibilities.

He wasn't relating it to the SOF or bashing the update, he was relating it to how Jagex won't listen to feedback (like SOF feedback) no matter how much people voice their opinions. Therefore the combat beta is really just going to be for bug testing more than anything else as very little will probably be changed in terms of balancing/updating things.

He wasn't relating it to the SOF or bashing the update, he was relating it to how Jagex won't listen to feedback (like SOF feedback) no matter how much people voice their opinions. Therefore the combat beta is really just going to be for bug testing more than anything else as very little will probably be changed in terms of balancing/updating things.

Tbh I'd of been surprised if the beta test was for feedback beyond bug testing (in the more broad sense of not working right in general opposed to just glitches and breaks), the whole point of beta launches is bug-testing. Alpha launches are the ones they do when they want feedback because it's early enough to make large changes fairly easily.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Jagex reveals Runescape shake-up

18th May 2012 | 15:58

The Evolution Of Combat project aims to transform the games combat system to revolutionise the way players fight and interact in-game. Specifics remain shrouded in secrecy, with Jagex promising more news in due course.

Jagex has announced major changes to its long-running free-to-play title Runescape, billing it as the "biggest change" to any system in the PC MMOG's history.

The Evolution Of Combat project aims to transform the games combat system to revolutionise the way players fight and interact in-game. Specifics remain shrouded in secrecy, with Jagex promising more news in due course.

Lead designer Mark Ogilvie said: A rework of the combat system has been the most requested update from our community, and thousands of man hours have gone into developing a more fluid, interactive and tactical combat system.

"The Evolution of Combat update will fundamentally change the way people play and view Runescape forever.

Such is the complexity of the overhaul that Jagex will be running a limited closed beta next month. To be eligible, players must either already be Runescape members, or sign up before June 1; the beta kicks off on June 26.

Pirkka.png

40,919th person to access Turmoil. 21,559th person to access Overloads.

signatureteksti.png

Are there any hidden bonuses here?

No bonuses

I'm a little bit excited for this, but at the same time I'm worried it might be terrible. So much of the construction of the game is based around the combat system, so there's bound to be risks.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I hope a members-only beta opens up to ftp later. If on the somewhat unlikely chance they take into account our thoughts besides major glitches on the new system, ftp is going to be left behind. I sure as heck know I'd be beta-testing claws, chaotics and storm of armadyl, etc. instead of gravite 2hs and fire blast.

VJH7N9F.png

zuzmo.png 

Did they really need a pre-announcement for registration that hasn't even opened yet for a chance to beta test?

Wow -- when you put it that way, it really does make the entire exercise seem even more pointless than it already is ... :lol:

nyuseg.png

Wow -- when you put it that way, it really does make the entire exercise seem even more pointless than it already is ... :lol:

Well, considering you have to sign up to members *before* June 1, I'm happy they did this announcement or I wouldn't be able to participate...