The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Leon S

Here's the base spell damage of all offensive spells in the normal spell book. This has been done by using a wand (100% spell damage), no potion and no prayer.

Wind Strike (level 1): 52

Water Strike (level 5): 74

Earth Strike (level 9): 96

Fire Strike (level 13): 138

Wind Bolt (level 17): 180

Water Bolt (level 23): 244

Earth Bolt (level 29): 306

Fire Bolt (level 35): 370

Wind Blast (level 41): 434

Water Blast (level 47): 498

Slayer Dart (level 50): 528

Earth Blast (level 53): 560

Fire Blast (level 59): 624

Divine Storm (level 60): 640

Wind Wave (level 62): 656

Water Wave (level 65): 688

Earth Wave (level 70): 738

Fire Wave (level 75): 792

Storm of Armadyl (level 77): 796

wind Surge (level 81): 846

Water Surge (level 85): 852

Earth Surge (level 89): 862

Fire Surge (level 95): 870

All spells, except for Divine Storm and all Surge spells, scale by 12 damage for odd levels, and 14 for even levels. Divine Storm scales by 14 for every level. Surge spells scale by 2 damage per level.

Also, if you're using Wind Strike, and you unlock Wind Bolt, Wind Strike's damage will only scale by 2 damage per level and onwards. So from level 1 until level 17, it will scale by 12/14 damage and by 2 damage from level 17 and onwards. The same applies for all other spells, except for Slayer Dart, Divine Storm and Storm of Armadyl.

And finally, if you're using a staff, all spell damage (And spell damage scaling!) is multiplied by 225%, rounded down.

To give you an example of how bad spell damage is scaling, take a look at this:

At level 13, where you unlock Fire Strike, Wind Strike does 208 damage, Water Stike does 178 damage, Earth Strike does 148 damage and Fire Strike does 138 damage.

armorsets.png

Seems that the difference between Bandos and Torva is almost exactly half an iron set. Makes me feel not as bad about not being able to afford it anymore.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

On the beta, Bandos, Armadyl, and Ganodermic have stats at tier level 75, despite their mixed requirements. I've no idea if they'll keep it like this or change it, or what they'll do with Ganodermic should the new Zamorakian mage armor also be equivalent (although Ganodermic could be kept as a cheaper, degradable alternative).

2dgucz6.png

(although Ganodermic could be kept as a cheaper, degradable alternative).

I'm hoping that they do this sort of thing with all higher-tier equipment. Craftable (But not exactly easy to require) item that degrades into nothing, or a permanent item that's considerably harder to get (With things like Nex armors becoming permanent).

EoC has a lot of opportunities to revive the crafting skills with things like this, and it's kind of sad that Jagex is (supposedly) adding many of the new items through monster drops instead.

I'm hoping that they do this sort of thing with all higher-tier equipment. Craftable (But not exactly easy to require) item that degrades into nothing, or a permanent item that's considerably harder to get (With things like Nex armors becoming permanent).

EoC has a lot of opportunities to revive the crafting skills with things like this, and it's kind of sad that Jagex is (supposedly) adding many of the new items through monster drops instead.

I'd rather wait until the "Evolution of Crafting" than have 2 new armor sets that need random craft/smith levels to make. That doesn't fix crafting, it just makes all other armor look bad.

I'd rather wait until the "Evolution of Crafting" than have 2 new armor sets that need random craft/smith levels to make. That doesn't fix crafting, it just makes all other armor look bad.

Crafting has since the release of dragon hide and jewelry had the potential to be as useful as smithing. Personally sets such as mystic, wizards robes and others should have been craftable ages ago.

And on another note I think all armors should be made degradable. I mean like actual craftable armor should require bars to repair and would totally revive the smithing skill as well as crafting.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I don't think low tier gear even needs to be repairable. Anything below rune is cheap enough to replace, and an increase in demand would be nice.

Dont think of why should gear be repairable... I mean yeah ok it seems redundant, but no many supplies go into aching. I feel all gear should be repaired because it would use up more of the resources..

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I don't think low tier gear even needs to be repairable. Anything below rune is cheap enough to replace, and an increase in demand would be nice.

Dont think of why should gear be repairable... I mean yeah ok it seems redundant, but no many supplies go into aching. I feel all gear should be repaired because it would use up more of the resources..

Perhaps make it so that equipment could be enhanced for resources, and while the base armor doesn't degrade, the enchancement does? So you could boost rune to being either level 55 or 60 armor temporarily.

Perhaps make it so that equipment could be enhanced for resources, and while the base armor doesn't degrade, the enchancement does? So you could boost rune to being either level 55 or 60 armor temporarily.

I don't know... Not a bad idea. I just like the idea of repairing everything to consume resources. Even if such an idea was 1 bar per piece.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I would think degradable Armour would make it less beginner friendly for new players.

Having everything degradable might fix the problem with some Beta tiers not having pk armour; people don't pk in dragon for example but do pk in rune and barrows. Then again I've never seen anyone pk in nex armour unless they got it for free.

It might not seem beginner friendly, but this junk about how you need food to train right? Well just as you take a beating so should your armor. Maybe lower level armor could degrade at a slower rate? Maybe just marginally until they get higher up?

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

armorsets.png

Seems that the difference between Bandos and Torva is almost exactly half an iron set. Makes me feel not as bad about not being able to afford it anymore.

So torva is basically worthless?

Though you have to consider how much those numbers mean, sure 200 more isn't big numerically, but then 75>80 isn't a big level gap.

Plus consider defence value has only increased by 2600 from iron to bandos in 74 levels, thats like +34 per level which in direct linearity would mean torva only needs to be 170 better to keep that trend, so 200 more actually seems quite generous.

Also consider that defence and life points are MUCH more important in the new combat, that +200 to defence and +400 to health makes more difference than you might think at a glance. Certainly the Nex armours aren't in the same position as they are atm where there's a massive gulf between them and Bandos because proper tiering of stats has brought them much closer as befits armours divided by only 5 levels and most likely they won't hold as higher market value as they have up until now because of this; but they certainly aren't worthless.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Stat boosts are linear, yes.

In fact it's pretty much a formula, for instance a shield's armour rating is level * 32 or something like that. Body armour is way lower, level * 16, legs are level * 12, and headgear level * 8. Compared to the rest of the set, shields account for about 40% of your total armour rating (lol).

It feels like incredibly lazy tiering when you look at it that way.

• Like 1

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Torva is still definitely worth having, most 1 on 1 fights I've had where my opponent had comparable skill (not button mashing abilities) have come very close, in the area of 5-10% health difference. Torva will give you the edge when you're pushing the limits of your gear fighting against an equal opponent, and a more reliable one at that since many abilities do a set damage based on your weapon so random hits are less likely to interfere. At the same time though, nex gear is only around 5% better than the next best thing compared to it's past, and current 40% lifepoint boost alone, not counting it's exceptional stats.

I haven't played beta much but I'm wondering how nex is compared to the live game. Is nex harder or easier than the live game version?

I'm interested in this as well. Considering the gap between Bandos and Torva (and the rest of the armours) has been considerably shortened, wouldn't Nex's difficulty be way out of proportion with her drops?

Graardor, or any of the four main bosses are infinitely easier to kill than Nex is. It just seems crazy that for such a small boost in stats (in comparison to before) you have to fight a considerably harder boss.

Sylpheed.png

I'm sorry if this has been brought up before, but I heard Summoning now counts as an offensive skill when calculating combat level? [ (Attack/Strength/Magic/Range/Summoning) + (Defence) + 2 = Combat Level) ]

Nope.

Unless they slipped it in very quietly two or so weeks ago.