The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Leon S

I haven't played beta much but I'm wondering how nex is compared to the live game. Is nex harder or easier than the live game version?

I'm interested in this as well. Considering the gap between Bandos and Torva (and the rest of the armours) has been considerably shortened, wouldn't Nex's difficulty be way out of proportion with her drops?

Graardor, or any of the four main bosses are infinitely easier to kill than Nex is. It just seems crazy that for such a small boost in stats (in comparison to before) you have to fight a considerably harder boss.

I'd like to see nex slightly easier just to allow room for a harder boss to make an appearance some time in the future and add an even higher tier of armor (90+ stats to use).

Nex certainly doesn't need to be made easier, game progression will deal with that. I mean once upon a time KQ, KBD, DKS, the GWD bosses etc. all had their time as being uber hard need pretty much max gear to battle; but new stuff comes and when it does it makes them easier.

It's not really a case of the boss should be made easier to allow for something more powerful, it's a case of when we do get more powerful gear it will become easy enough to warrant a new stronger boss being designed.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

At the last RF MMG said that the next tier of gear was planned to be released with player owned ports, so I'm not sure if they are basing the difficulty of nex on the potential for new bosses really. As in, I don't think they are making Nex slightly harder because they're going to release a new boss with better gear soon. I think they're just making it slightly harder.

Asmodean <3

I'm sorry if this has been brought up before, but I heard Summoning now counts as an offensive skill when calculating combat level? [ (Attack/Strength/Magic/Range/Summoning) + (Defence) + 2 = Combat Level) ]

Nope.

Unless they slipped it in very quietly two or so weeks ago.

Actually yes, they DID slip it in a few weeks ago.

How many hotdogs does it take to mow a garage door?

I'm sorry if this has been brought up before, but I heard Summoning now counts as an offensive skill when calculating combat level? [ (Attack/Strength/Magic/Range/Summoning) + (Defence) + 2 = Combat Level) ]

Nope.

That sounds rather dumb.

Amg I r maxed combat cause I has 99 summon and 99 def...but I can't kill anything worthwhile cause I am pure and can only wield noob weapons!

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Nope.

That sounds rather dumb.

Amg I r maxed combat cause I has 99 summon and 99 def...but I can't kill anything worthwhile cause I am pure and can only wield noob weapons!

Going to guess that you haven't seen steel titans demolishing everything they walk across in the beta :P

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Summoning a full-power combat skill? Me like <3:.

• Like 1

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Nope.

That sounds rather dumb.

Going to guess that you haven't seen steel titans demolishing everything they walk across in the beta :P

Can't say I have, though with no more 100% protect prayers etc. I still can't see that ending up too well longterm cause you'd suddenly be like 1 hit by most stuff.

Eh? Source/proof?

...This is the first I've heard of it :oops:

I'd read about it weeks ago on one of the many Beta forums. That's about the best proof I got.

So no you do not have proof then.

The old rules apply no QFC/link to a Jmod interview, no proof.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Nope.

That sounds rather dumb.

Can't say I have, though with no more 100% protect prayers etc. I still can't see that ending up too well longterm cause you'd suddenly be like 1 hit by most stuff.

What part of 99 defense?? You only lose weapons not armor... Yes being 99 summon + 1 defense will be bad but not necessarily being 99 sum, 99 defense.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

True 1 hit was perhaps a bit hyperbolic, but even so it still seems like a bit of a weird setup to be maxed combat with.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

On a different topics: does the golden mining suit give any defensive bonusses? Otherwise we won't use it at LRC thus rendering the suit useless. :s

Not at the moment, honestly I hope they either give those sets some def or make monsters in popular skilling areas unaggressive (Or at least if you're wearing things that give 0 armor stats or something along those lines).

• Like 1

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

I like the idea of skilling outfits to cause unaggressive but certainly it'd need to be limited so as to not entirely annihilate danger. Eg perhaps make a 'miner's hats' that works within specific mining sites but nowhere else but make it so that gold mining suit pieces serve same purpose.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Quite a few places aren't aggressive anymore after the multicombat change. Has anyone gone to LRC to check?

They turned monster aggression off in beta to allow people to test better.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

They mentioned that they planned on revising the aggression algorithms so that you wouldn't get attacked by everything in site unless you draw their fire. (via cannon etc) but would still be attacked by 1-2 of the monsters. Hopefully this gets done right.

Serena_Sedai.png

What does the critical bonus on amulets and cloaks do for melee and range? I know it increases your chance of hitting your max hit with mage, but I have no idea what it does for range and melee.

They mentioned that they planned on revising the aggression algorithms so that you wouldn't get attacked by everything in site unless you draw their fire. (via cannon etc) but would still be attacked by 1-2 of the monsters. Hopefully this gets done right.

Hopefully they handle it better than dwarf battleground, because it's kind of ridiculous for one person to draw all of the fire as soon as they attack somebody.

8f14270694.jpg

What does the critical bonus on amulets and cloaks do for melee and range? I know it increases your chance of hitting your max hit with mage, but I have no idea what it does for range and melee.

I believe it does the same thing on range and melee. It increases chance to crit.

Serena_Sedai.png

I believe it does the same thing on range and melee. It increases chance to crit.

I think, not sure, but I think Latin told me he didn't test for melee/range max hits like he did with mage because crits apparently doesn't seem to work that way for range and melee.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted